Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I've just started riding. Right now I'm just commuting and doing some short rides after work/weekends, but would love to get out and explore some more fun routes.

Bike: 08 Yamaha WR250X
Years ridden: about a month
Down for: Just about anything that doesn't involve long highway stretches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

250 supremacy?

Oh, I forgot to mention, if anybody knows of any nearby dirt/gravel roads let me know. I'd like to start getting my feet wet but would rather not need to trek out to West Virginia/Western Virginia to do so.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

HNasty posted:

For you city kids, this is what is out in the country if you ever come out this way

But where's the stop lights, pedestrians, and traffic? I don't believe this place actually exists.

Actually, my parents live in The Plains and that's the first road I ever road a motorcycle on.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

kedo posted:

Yeah no kidding, where's that road at? I keep trying to find stuff like that near DC and while there are a few fun twisties (Georgetown Pike, for example), they're clogged with traffic and are nowhere near that long.

Speaking of which, anyone have some good rides within like an hour of the district to share?

The road HNasty posted is less than an hour away if you take 66 and there isn't traffic.

Once you get to about that 45-60 minutes outside of the city there are nice roads pretty much everywhere.

Inside that range I've been driving up and down Beach Drive and Sligo Creek Pkwy until I feel comfortable enough to take a longer ride out to where there are nicer drives. Both of those roads are ok if you're content not to go above about 40-45. Oh and you have to pay attention since they are closed/have restrictions on the weekend/rush hour.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Does anybody have a good mechanic recommendation in the area? I don't have anything pressing right now, but I feel like if something did come up I'd like to already know of someone. All I've seen around are scooter shops and dealerships. I think some of the scooter shops will work on motorcycles too, but it would be nice to know in advance.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

taketheshot posted:

Location: Baltimore, MD but I frequently ride in the general Baltimore/DC/Frederick area and occasionally into W VA and NoVa as well.

Do you know any good routes between Baltimore and DC? I've got some friends in Baltimore I'd like to visit more and right now I usually end up taking the MARC when possible, but if there was a route to ride that wouldn't be hellacious that would be preferable.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I can probably do something Saturday morning, though I think I'll need to be back by 12 or 1 so nothing too long.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

hot sauce posted:

Yep, that's the spot. It just looks like the RFK parking lot until you are actually right on top of it. I'm going to skip out if you guys are heading over there tonight - this weather is no fun to ride in. Count me in on the next sunny afternoon. We can meet in the normal spot if you guys want and then ride through the city, that seems to be the most convenient for where everyone is located.

I'd be down for this as well. And as long as there's enough warning I can switch to a different colored plastic just in case ;). I's probably be coming from the other side of town so I'd meet you there.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

i'm planning on doing some rides down that way in the near future. It's easier for me to get there than out to Western VA and MD.

Also, count me in for going to Budd's Creek. I've been wanting to go but don't know anybody to go with for a first time and am afraid of looking like a jackass.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I ended up riding around Sugarloaf Mountain and Lake Seneca yesterday. There are some pretty fun roads out there and more cyclists than cars. Met a dude on a Shiver and ended up riding with him for about an hour. All in all it was a pretty good day to be riding.

Here's a crappy video of a creek crossing near Lake Seneca:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdmJPN7vcSA

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I'd be up for an October ride. Early morning on any of the Sundays would be good, I have to work alternating Saturdays that month.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Haha, that's a $50,000 a year private girl's school - Foxcroft. My parents had a bed and breakfast in The Plains and I spent one Christmas break chauffeuring a mother of one of the students to the school and back a couple times a week. It was a fun drive but I don't think the mother enjoyed it much. Also, her 12 or 13 year old daughter would hit on me whenever I drove her - it was super awkward.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

ought ten posted:

We cruised back by way of CA International Speedway.

I read that and got confused thinking there was some kind of track down in California, MD before looking at the picture and realizing where it was. I'm disappointed I missed out on this one, my morning ended up having much more limited time than I expected.

I haven't really had any time lately to do long rides but I've been doing some local exploring around the FDA/USDA/UMd research fields near Beltsville and have found some some decent roads. There are a bunch of small roads around there that look like they'd be tons of fun but they all have federal no trespassing signs and I always get too nervous to go down them,

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

McLarenF1 posted:

What if we did a super early morning ride out there via highway, rode skyline at sun rise, caught breakfast somewhere near by, and then took the back roads to DC?
It's starting to get kind of cold (at least on a bike at 60+ mph), so I propose we take our big ride to Skyline Drive soon. How does October 5 or 6 work for everyone?
[/quote]

That will be my first full weekend off in more than a month so either one of those days would work.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I can do Sunday morning as long as it's not crazy early.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

lowcrabdiet posted:

So... who is free to ride because of the government shutdown? :P

Anyhow, I still haven't been to the RFK track and I'd like to check it out sometime. Anyone up for it this week/next week?

My wife has been asking me to take her for a ride so I'm thinking of getting some practice with her on the back over there soon. She's not working because of the shutdown so we might try to get out there in the afternoon sometime this week. With what the cops told us last time I think actually using it for that kind of practice would only make it more likely that we can stay longer.

Of course, if I was over there anyways I'd need to get a lap or too in, if anybody else is up for it.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

ought ten posted:

Perfect. Koruthaiolos and I need a bike we can keep up with.

That reminds me, I was riding home a couple days ago and a huge dude (maybe 350-400 lbs) on a tiny scooter wearing a bicycle helmet over top of a backwards baseball cap rode by me at an intersection. He looked over, gave me a big nod, and a couple small beeps. He identified with me; I felt so ashamed.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I know some of you were planning on going down to southern Virginia this weekend, but for anybody who isn't I'm planning on a morning ride tomorrow around either southern Maryland or up in Frederick county. I'll be trying to leave around 7 or 8. If you're interested let me know and we can figure out a meeting point.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I have to work Saturday, but would be up for something any time Sunday.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

My dad and I used to race karts at Monrovia (the track next to 75-80). Even when it was in regular use the track surface was utter crap. I don't think it's been used in the past decade so I imagine it's only gotten worse. I think every now and then there's talk about trying to reopen it but apparently there's some local regulations which only allow them to maintain the current track (that is 75-80) and aren't allowed to make any improvements such as reopening the kart track.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

hot sauce posted:

Count me in for Saturday. Let's do a big ride.

I'm in too. What time are you guys looking on heading out?

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

HNasty posted:

How does the Exxon at the end of M street sound? It's where we usually meet. It's a pain in the butt for me though.

That works for me, but if it's a pain in the butt for you is there somewhere else that works better? I'll be coming straight through the city regardless.

Also, some more news on the future our favorite urban racetrack:
http://dcist.com/2013/10/wells_introduces_resolution_to_conv.php
Basically, eventually it's going away, but considering how much the councilmembers like to fight over things like this, it's probably at least a couple years away.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Of course you end up on the gravel roads when I'm not there. :argh:

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

ought ten posted:

This. Although they ended up in the rain, confirming my theory that HNasty is bad luck.

Can we have a SM bros gravel date if there's another nice weekend?

I would absolutely be in for this. It just needs to warm up a little bit.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I have to work Saturday morning but should be able to do Sunday. 50s is fine as long as it's not wet.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

After being stuck inside all day yesterday I don't care if it does rain, I'll be there.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

None of the roads I had in mind are that bad. Nothing worse than something like Oatlands Rd. Do you know where that bridge you mentioned earlier is?

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

If anybody else needs some more room I also have covered space behind my house where I could probably squeeze a couple bikes. Also, if the handlebars a narrow enough I would probably have room to put one in my basement. If anyone's interested I'll check with my wife.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3CsLDhcC-A

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

My wife says behind/under the house is fine, in the basement is a maybe - she doesn't think there's really enough space there.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Meet at the Exxon station around 9:00?

I was thinking we could head up Clara Barton to River Rd and take that to White's Ferry (a good bit of River Rd on that stretch is gravel). Then either head over to some of the gravel in Virginia or continue up to around Sugarloaf and up to Frederick. I've ridden some of the roads near Sugarloaf Mt but nothing north of that. Supposedly the Frederick Municipal Forest just north of Frederick has some fun roads.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

lowcrabdiet posted:

About what time do you expect to be at White's Ferry? I'm not sure I can make 9 at the Exxon but I can probably make it to the ferry around 10 or anytime afterwards.

That should work, I think we'll get to White's Ferry somewhere around 10 or a little after.

HNasty posted:

I'm out bros, sorry, doody calls.

Now what excuse will we have to hang out at the Exxon for an extra 30 minutes imagining pushing people down the exorcist stairs?

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

ought ten, lowcrabdiet, and I went for a ride today. I call it an Ode to Road Surfaces:

Nice Asphalt:

Bad Asphalt:

Gravel in a Field:

Gravel in the Woods:

We Can't Decide if We Want Concrete or Gravel:

Nice Hard Mud:

And Finally, Oh No Where's the Road?:

Bonus! We surprise a lady by catching her trying to strangle her dog while no one is around:

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Here's some video of the water crossing - with some sweet transition effects:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_zCj74q6RA

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Dang, that was a nice save.

Quick question for you or ought ten. Was my brake light really strobing like that the whole time or is that just an artifact from the camera's framerate? I think it's supposed to just flash a couple times each time I engage the brakes, but if it does that all the time I think I can change the settings to operate normally.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I'm driving out to my parent's place near Middleburg tomorrow. I'm trying to convince my wife to let me ride out while she drives with the dog. I do have to work during the day though. The earliest I'd be able to leave is around 3:00.

Koruthaiolos fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 20, 2013

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I'm in. Just a heads up, you have an extra period in the tugg.com address.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I'm working Saturday morning but as long as nothing stupid happens should get off by about 2:00, so getting there around 3:00 should work for me.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

We had a good time but honestly the show was a bit meh... really just sat on a bunch of bikes. We got there just in time to miss a stunting demonstration. The highlight probably was sitting on the Grom. It's so small and light but at the same time doesn't feel like you're sitting on a mini bike. Seems like it would be tons to have to just gently caress around on in the city or around campgrounds.

All the major makes were there except KTM (except for a dealer that had a couple Adventures) and Aprilia which were the two I would have liked to see most. Indian really went all out to out-Harley Harley. They were selling soooo much crap there and half their bikes were absolutely covered in leather tassels.

Also so many hideous customs. My favorite was probably the Obama bike.

If you're going tomorrow and don't have tickets, I used coupon code PRG14E this morning and it still worked for $5 off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

It's supposed to get up to the 50s (!) this weekend. Anybody up for a pre super bowl ride on Sunday?

• Locked thread