Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Thanks for making this thread, I've been dreaming of it for a long time. Didn't realize there were so many of us.

Bikes: DRZ400SM and Kawasaki Concours
Years Ridden: 10
Down For: Country roads, city hooning, anything that gets me on a bike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Koruthaiolos posted:

Does anybody have a good mechanic recommendation in the area? I don't have anything pressing right now, but I feel like if something did come up I'd like to already know of someone. All I've seen around are scooter shops and dealerships. I think some of the scooter shops will work on motorcycles too, but it would be nice to know in advance.

Where are you looking? Modern Classics in DC always gets great reviews as far as I've seen, but their wait is pretty insane. I've been taking my bikes to Myers Cycle in Kensington, MD, for a couple years and those are great guys. A bit expensive, but so is everything, and they give me a discount every once in a while. The owner Deep gives me great advice even when I'm buying parts elsewhere and doing my own work. I'd highly recommend them. Probably if you told them Sam with the Concours sent you they'd even know who I was.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

(I wouldn't trust Coleman's with an oil change. Those people are overpriced, act like assholes, and hire incompetent retards.)

Never had my bikes serviced there and probably never would, but one good thing I'll say about Coleman's is they'll match internet pricing on gear. That was the Falls Church location and I can't say whether there are any limitations, but they have a good range of gear so it can be nice to try something on and buy it in person without getting gouged.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

Yeah, and then they give you the hard up-sell on poo poo you don't want. I mean, it's good to have local shops, but I have nothing but bad experiences with them.

Forget what I said then. I only bought from them once and didn't have that experience, but I'm completely unsurprised to hear it.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

hot sauce posted:

Not sure on great routes just yet but count me in the first sunny weekend we get (Sunday?) If there are any cool spots down in VA by you, I'd be down to meet you in Alexandria and take it from there.

Would definitely be down for Sunday, even if there's a thunderstorm or two. hot sauce we can hook up in Chinatown on the way out to VA.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Praline looks like some nice roads. I've barely ridden in VA so it'll be nice to see something new. Maybe HNasty will have some suggestions too, he seems to know some decent rides.

hot sauce Yeah, the CVS is perfect. PM me your number, I'll send you mine. Anyway I'll be on the most obnoxious looking and sounding bike so it shouldn't be hard. Agreed on figuring out a time when it gets closer and after we find out who's coming and what works for them.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

HNasty posted:

If yall suckas can make it the gas station at the end of M street in G-Town I can pick you city boys up and take you to VA. We can do Georgetown pike and if you guys have all day to ride I can take you to the country. Or even better would be if you can make it to VA on your own and then I can take yall to the country.

We were thinking about riding down to Manassas-ish with Mr. Praline, if he's still in. Not sure if that fits in with your plan.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I'm in for Saturday. Would be nice to get out earlier or quit sooner.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

HNasty posted:

Looks like rain again this weekend, I'm getting real sick of this horse poo poo. The weekend of the 26th I have a wedding to attend :(

Well gently caress. If it doesn't rain I'm in for a good long ride. Maybe a shorty if the weather's iffy?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

HNasty's headed to WV on Sunday and I'm down for that, not sure if I'll make it to C&C tomorrow. gently caress getting up early both weekend days. I'm around next weekend (I don't think H is), but not the 3rd and 4th -- I'm riding up to Burlington.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

If there's anyone reading this thread who's not on the emails, we're meeting at the Exxon at the end of M in Georgetown tomorrow at 8 for an all day ride to WV and back.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Snowdens Secret posted:

What did you do, Harv

He likes to take us way out in the mountains and then make us ride home on 66 in the rain.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Remember this whenever you unsuspecting new riders think about following HNasty in a group ride. He lives only for himself, he cares not for society's norms.

I told my gf about his decade of probation and she has for forbidden me from riding with him again.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Hoping to go to Book of Mormon tomorrow (sorry Mormons) so I don't think I can. I swung by RFK today and looked like just the regular farmer's market in our lot, no stage, so maybe we can hit that up soon.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Yes, but its run ends this weekend.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

All the seats under $500 have also been sold out since like 5 minutes after they went on sale, and now I'll never get to see it live. :cry:

Went down to wait for standing room tickets this morning. Missed the last tickets by about half an hour, but the first guy on line got there at 5:30 am. Box office opens at 10. I guess I'll wait for the VHS.

hot sauce you still want to do a quick ride tonight? I don't have anything in mind.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Hmm not really. You thinking of going right at 5? We could easily burn up an hour or two just sitting in traffic. Maybe we could clown around at RFK or ride up and down rock creek park a little.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Sounds good. Right by Papa Johns?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I'm out of action with trips and people visiting until the third weekend in September or so but I'm always down for weekday and night stuff.

Except for the fact that you're going to get rained on that sounds like it should be a great ride.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

hot sauce posted:

It wouldn't be a proper ride without a storm on the way back. It actually hailed for a few minutes this time as well, I poo poo you not. We huddled under this bridge for cover until the rain slowed down. The best part was seeing an old dude on a chromed out trike ride by wearing only a bathing suit, honking and waving at us.

What a brilliant and dedicated troll. I need to start saving for a trike.

Also :laffo: at hnasty batting a thousand at rain god.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

2 Million Biker ride is on Wednesday. Anyone planning to go? I'm heading down to the Harley dealer tomorrow to get a new bike for it if anyone wants to come with.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Super srs. They'd beat me to death with a bald eagle if I showed up on a rice burner.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

M42 posted:

It's looking like the stupid loving moving company is going to drag their stupid loving feet until at least october, so I might as well ask now. Where do you guys keep your bikes in winter? I don't know anybody with a garage, and my place only has aboveground parking lots.

I'm in the same boat and I've done a couple of things over the last few years. When I only had one bike I used to take it to my parent's house in PA for the winter, and two years ago I rented a spot in a neighbor's garage for about $75/month if I remember right. Last winter with two bikes I gambled on the weather and got lucky, just parked them under the deck behind my house with covers. That's probably what I'll do this year unless something better materializes.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

hot sauce posted:

I don't have a garage either and this will be my first winter with a bike. Currently, I keep it in a closed area in an alley under a staircase, so that's not gonna fly for December - February. I plan on riding it as far into November as the weather allows and then find a place to store it. My best idea so far is a friends condo parking garage under his building.

If we have multiple DC folks looking to store something for a few months, my landlord has a bunch of garages up on 1st and V St NW we could all chip in for. I believe it's ~225 a month for a 2 car garage space, not climate controlled.

1st and V is just a couple blocks from me so I could keep an eye on bikes if we stuck them there. Could probably get 6 or 8 bikes in a 2 car spot. You know if it has power?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

hot sauce took me on a beautiful ride through southern Maryland this morning. He can probably explain better, but we circled counterclockwise around Prince Charles county and then shot back through the middle of it to the Potomac.

Eastern shore of the Potomac.

We cruised back by way of CA International Speedway. I guess they had a color run there this weekend, so our hotlaps were interrupted by big piles of colored dust. Also seagulls, a fence and a kid on a scooter.

hot sauce hitting that dust. Blowing past the competition.

edit for geography

ought ten fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 15, 2013

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I tried to gif that video of you but can't figure it out. Maybe I'll put it on youtube or something.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

hot sauce is a much better photographer than I am.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I don't have any transport or suggestions to offer, I just wanted to say I'm glad you're replacing your BBQ bike and you should come out with us when you get your new bike squared away.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

nsaP posted:

If anyone has the weekend free I think me and Hnasty are gonna try to hit the VA 16 from Marion to Tazewell (or the Back of the Dragon apparently...) that weekend, on the 5th I guess. I'd say it's an overnight trip at least. http://goo.gl/maps/SDTC7

Hnasty is gonna trailer his bike and get a hotel, lol. I'll be camping wherever I can.

Definitely down. And gently caress that pussy poo poo.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

nsaP posted:

Email thread? I'll bug Hnasty.

I'm fairly open on days tho. I'm gonna be rafting in West Virginia on the 1st and since I have some days to kill I decided to ride down to Deal's gap. So right now I'm lookin at riding to NC on Wednesday, riding 129 and around there on Thursday, heading back up to VA on Friday and then doing VA 16 on Saturday.

What's your email? I'll add you in. HNasty's probably busy polishing his Ducati.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

A bunch of 12 O'Clock Boys wannabes tore through my neighborhood couple nights back. I was coming home after a quick lap around the city when I passed a half dozen cops circled around an ATV and a kid on the ground at the Hess station at Florida and Rhode Island. Didn't think too much of it but when I got home my roommates said a whole bunch of them were blasting up and down our street, riding on the sidewalks, etc. I'm probably lucky I didn't get chased by the cops when I rode past them.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Looks like this homie just got served, right G?

I didn't know DC had no-chase, which makes it that much more hilarious that they arrested that guy. I figured they'd chased him into the gas station and cornered him, but I guess he actually thought he could stop and fill up. Need to make friends with these guys asap.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Could do Sunday.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

So we could ride then eat, or eat then ride. Or some could eat and others meet after to ride. Like 9 or so? If we're going to be on H at the queen Vic we should at least put in a couple laps at the track. I don't know if HNasty had something more in mind. Out near Pawtuxent maybe? I've never ridden those roads but they look like they could be nice.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Double posting to say we'll be at the Queen Vic on H St NE at 9 Sunday morning.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Miskatonic U. posted:

I live in Arlington right across the key bridge. I did the MSF and got my license a year ago but haven't really done anything with it. I just got a bike. I'd like to meet some of you fine people, as soon as I learn how to not die on it.

For the love of god don't go out with those hooligans. If you want to live stay as far away as possible. Just this weekend they got a gentle talking-to from a police officer as they proceeded meekly out of a parking lot.

Edit: for real though we'd love to have you. What'd you get?

ought ten fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 1, 2013

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Miskatonic U. posted:

I'm working on it! It's a 2009 royal enfield bullet. All the convenience and reliability of a bike 50 years older than I am, no doubt.

Perfect. Koruthaiolos and I need a bike we can keep up with.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Yeah sorry that didn't work out. I couldn't see making the trip down by myself. And then I ended up in VT anyway on a shutdown vacation.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Some guys on supermoto junkie were talking in August about trying out the kart track. Doesn't sound like they ever did. The consensus was the cops would be all over them and the surface is in rough shape anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

If you all head west I'll hang with you for a bit on my way to Pittsburgh.

• Locked thread