Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
Been riding for around 3 years on a SV650 and I'd be interested in an early-morning/day trip to Skyline drive sometime in October too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
So... who is free to ride because of the government shutdown? :P

Anyhow, I still haven't been to the RFK track and I'd like to check it out sometime. Anyone up for it this week/next week?

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
I wanted to go to Skyline Drive on Friday but apparently it's closed because of the shutdown. Does anyone know of any similarly scenic routes/destinations that are within 2-3 hours of DC?

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
Instead of going down to Virginia like I originally intended, I ended up going to the RFK track for my first time today and got kicked out by a police after a couple of sighting laps. Did I just get unlucky?

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
I'm also up for anything during the day on the weekend.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Koruthaiolos posted:

Meet at the Exxon station around 9:00?

I was thinking we could head up Clara Barton to River Rd and take that to White's Ferry (a good bit of River Rd on that stretch is gravel). Then either head over to some of the gravel in Virginia or continue up to around Sugarloaf and up to Frederick. I've ridden some of the roads near Sugarloaf Mt but nothing north of that. Supposedly the Frederick Municipal Forest just north of Frederick has some fun roads.

About what time do you expect to be at White's Ferry? I'm not sure I can make 9 at the Exxon but I can probably make it to the ferry around 10 or anytime afterwards.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
might as well share mine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URjSwLpWc9s

and bonus video where I almost get a face full of gravel at 0:38
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaLfRld_soI

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
I'd be interested. When do I/we have to confirm by?

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

hot sauce posted:

I'd like to have everyone registered next week if that's possible for you. I tried this last year myself but kept putting off registering until it was too cold - can't let that happen again. Will you know by Wednesday of next week?

I can let you know by the end of this week. Thanks!

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

hot sauce posted:

I'd like to have everyone registered next week if that's possible for you. I tried this last year myself but kept putting off registering until it was too cold - can't let that happen again. Will you know by Wednesday of next week?

I'm in. Do I just register on the website and PM you my info?

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
I just registered. Thanks for setting it up!

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Koruthaiolos posted:

It's been mentioned, but one of my favorite routes out of the city is Canal Rd out of Georgetown then continue on River Rd to White's ferry. From there you can either stay in MD and ride around Little Seneca Lake/Sugarloaf Mtn, or take the Ferry across where you end up outside of Leesburg. Everything west of there is wonderful riding - HNasty can probably provide better specific roads over there. But it's probably harder to find bad roads than good.

My biggest problem is that I always underestimate how much time it takes to get home and I always get in trouble when I get back late.

A good portion of River Rd to White's Ferry is gravel, right?

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
I'm still in for Cornerspin. My bike is probably not up for riding all the way down, nor is my schedule set... I have some friends on the way that I want to visit but I'm not sure if I'll be visiting them going to/from NC. I have a hitch on my car if someone needs to tow their bike, though.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

hot sauce posted:

If you are possibly stopping along the way, I guess we'll just see you down there then?

Yep, it looks like I'll be driving down Thursday, spending the night with them, and driving the rest of the way on Friday. Is there an email chain to exchange phone numbers?

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
Anyone else in NC yet?

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
Alright well I just took a long shower and am ready for bed. I'm pretty much beat from driving all day so I'll just meet you guys at breakfast tomorrow.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

brotastrophe posted:

Anyone know the best shop for gear in the md area? I need a new helmet so far the cyclegear in laurel seemed like it might have the biggest selection.

For what it's worth, revzilla's free ground shipping is essentially next day shipping since they're based out of philly.

I've bought And returned (for fitment issues) a ton of stuff from them and their customer service has always been great

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

M42 posted:

Yeah, the issue is that I've had my seat shaved down like half an inch so I can reach the ground at all. Corbins/sargents are stock height or higher I think, and none of the custom seat people I know are willing to work on those brands.

On my 2nd gen SV the Corbin seat is about 1" shorter than stock and a ton more comfortable

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
I have a fuel tank that I need to de-rust, preferably by electrolysis since Evaporust didn't work that well. Problem is that I live in a poorly-vented apartment and I don't want to produce/trap hydrogen gas where I live. Does anyone have experience/a set up for this kind of thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
Alright I will give Evaporust another try, this time to soak for a few extra days. I'll look into other other options if it still doesn't work out. Thanks!

• Locked thread