Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
I recall Hot Sauce hitting me up in the MSF thread when I posted earlier this summer. Now that I've got more seat time, some more miles riding in DC area traffic, and a few group rides under my belt I feel like now I'd only be a 90% drag-anchor on shenanigans. That said, totally up for some rides while the weather lasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
Provided the weather isn't utter ballsack I'd be up for something.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands

McLarenF1 posted:

HNasty and I are doing a Skyline Drive run on Saturday, stopping by RnR Cycles too for their free dyno runs. Anyone else want to come?

efb, kinda.

I'll be up that way with some guys from my company riding club. Bunch of old dudes on cruisers and BMWs by the look of the sign up...and me. Oh wait one other younger guy has a CB205R. But hey, chance to network while doing something I actually enjoy. If you happen to see some jerk on a gladius in a white helmet riding in a pack of old dudes that's me. Flip me the bird or something.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
Figures I'm moving on sat... At least moving the bike to the new place will be easy :unsmith:

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
Seconding Coleman over in Falls Church. I know there have been occasional mixed reviews but I've never had a bad experience there. They've been good with gear, seemed to give a drat about proper fitment, and will order pretty much anything for you. Also the price matching thing is handy.

Necc0, I just started riding last summer while living over in Arlington. Shoot me a PM and I can show you some of the less-traveled roads I found while getting used to the bike. I think I still have them saved on gmaps. Seconding the parking lot drill refresh too. I picked up some dirt cheap MSF style cones on Amazon that I chuck in a bag and use to mark some basic stuff for drills. For 7 bucks it's pretty worth it.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
Good to know. I've never dealt with their actual bike sales people or their service dept, just the gear dudes. With that fresh knowledge, where would people recommend for getting tires done around here?

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
Which one of you was this?

Might be able to make Sunday AM at the Queen Vic. I should know for sure come Saturday midday.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
Georgetown Pike is nice, but unless they've been rolling hard on fixing it it's pretty crateriffic as of 2 or so weeks ago. I hope they fix it soon. That said, GW Parkway to Georgetown Pike and maybe out to Leesburg to hit Doner Bistro is a fun weekend jaunt. I need to find better roads than 7 for the last leg of it though.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
Koruthaiolos, thanks for the heads up about that route up to White's Ferry. My sunday became suddenly free and I was able to check it out with a friend. We got to the gravel and just rode back to Partnership and then up through Poolesville. We definitely plan to check out the stuff up around Sugarloaf next time.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands

hot sauce posted:

I have been here my entire life and still let out a "god daammmit" when I walk outside into Satan's taint every morning.

I explain it to out of town friends as "getting hit in the face with Satan's post-game jockstrap". But yeah, after moving back here from Germany and taking all of last summer to get re-acclimated I realized you eventually just kind of come to grips with it. So it gets better! Embrace the grossness and pretty much follow sane advice for hydration and breaks and you'll build up a tolerance.

On a related note, realizing after my MSF that I probably had mild heatstroke was at the time less than fun. Took that during the big heatwave last summer :supaburn:

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
Hmm if this is a morning thing I might actually be able to join you guys. That route isn't too far south of me at all.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
I'm out of town this weekend, but next weekend is Bikes and Breakfast out in Clifton. I've gone twice thus far. It's pretty neat and not a bad way to spend a Sunday morning. Anyone up for hitting that?

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
So it looks like the CBR is in need of some carb work. I knew it needed a balance but it seems to be increasingly idling like butt and was having a real rough time of things this weekend. Best case is probably some adjustment, worst is probably pulling them to have a look at the pilot jets and doing a for real clean. Sadly, I lack the space and tools to do so myself.

I know Crossroads and RnR were both mentioned as good shops to get stuff done. Do those recommendations still stand? I know RnR seems to get consistent praise from other riding friends but drop off and pickup logistics from Alexandria to Sterling are kind of annoying. Trying to figure out if it's worth the hassle vs Crossroads.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
Maybe they were friends with this guy

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
Ended up doing B&B last minute. The CBR taught me many lessons regarding operating an already janky carbed bike at those temperatures. First and foremost being that it's time for babby's first carb clean once this tank is dry. I sense an impending adventure laced with profanity.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands

HNasty posted:

Just let it idle till your bike gets turbo hot with some seafoam in your tank, easiest carb cleaning. If it runs it doesn't need a full tear down.

Thanks. I'll give that a shot and hope it spares me the hassle. Based on research thus far it seems the issue probably is slow jet related given how the bike's been behaving (really high idle, not wanting to resettle to idle, sometimes dying off of choke/<3k, hesitates and occasionally dies when you throttle up from idle to running speed even when warm). Runs fine above 3-4k or so at least. Regardless, glad this isn't my only bike.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
Pretty much what Hot Sauce said. Kinda cool to watch go by for a while but watch from somewhere where you can dip out and go get lunch or something when you get bored.

For those of us who live on a route between "budget-minded" hotels and the Pentagon, we can look forward to hearing mini versions of it all weekend whether we like it or not.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
Was this past Sunday over in Clifton. Occurs the second Sunday of the month 'til it's too cold to ride iirc. Was planning on going but my hangover had other ideas. Going to shoot for the one next month though since it's a nice incentive to buckle down and finish the CBR.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
The weather blows for riding right now so here's a neat picture of the first woman to get a DC motorcycle license:

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
Flying back into town that morning but if my flight is on time I"ll probably hop on the CBR to try and make it out for a bit.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yeah I'd almost rather take the metro from Falls Church to Foggy Bottom and just walk the last mile. gently caress riding anywhere near DC.

I'd be down but yeah gently caress riding in DC rush hour. Only two metro stops from my office though!

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands

The internet toughguy rage in the comments section of everywhere these videos have been posted makes for pretty entertaining reading during an otherwise slow work week.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
If you're thinking Fall I'd be down. Should finally have a goddamned free weekend by then.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
http://wpo.st/JQvS1

As always, skip to the comments for an entertaining afternoon read.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
I'm down for the show f'sho. Also anybody want to buy an F3? Thinking I may put it up for sale once I clean the carbs..

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Don't you tempt me with your devil woman witch voodoo

It's going up after I clean the carbs this weekend. Just throwing that out there.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands

hot sauce posted:

I'm curious how fast you'll sell it. It took me a while to sell the 599, which is basically the naked version of your bike. What are you listing it for?

Still trying to sort out price since there haven't been a ton of them on the market to give me an idea of where to start. Figured I'd start researching that while carb jets are soaking this weekend. Any advice/insight is welcome since this will be my first time on the selling side of craigslist.

How long did you have the 599 up for?

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands

hot sauce posted:

I had the 599 up for a month in the fall, and then forgot to repost it. Then had it up for about 2 months in the spring. I had a lot of bullshitters offering me a grand. Eventually sold it for I believe 2,400, which is a few hundred less than what I paid.

Good to know. I need to look at the title to remember what I paid for the F3 but the plan is to get it running and list it now to see if I get any bites at a price that's not a hilarious lowball. I'm not optimistic given the season but no harm in keeping it up for a while. I guess worst case I'll try in the spring.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
Depending on how this weekend goes it may be getting listed as a project bike :v: Not sure where all my free time to wrench has gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
Oh yeah I mean the plan is definitely to fix it this weekend, assuming it's just a carb clean that's needed. I'd much rather be trying to sell a bike in working order than explaining away a project bike. Mostly bitching since it's taken a month to find the time to work on the problem and if I don't get it done now I'm SOL for like another month because of life things.

• Locked thread