Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Midjack posted:

I am glad to hear that you received fresh head from your car's previous owner.

We don’t abide stale head in this house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Have you painted your calipers yellow?

No, but now I want to - the thought hadn’t crossed my mind.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

My FiST just hit 80k miles. Still puts a smile on my face every day until I look at my list of unfinished projects with it... Oil change today and maybe if the weather holds we'll do the cool-looking intake scoop too. Needs tint, engine mounts, a trim piece replaced, some corrosion on the roof addressed. Nothing huge, just a bunch of little poo poo. Oh and I desperately need to detail the interior.

Still 12/10 would FiST again.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

devmd01 posted:

No, but now I want to - the thought hadn’t crossed my mind.

you did the st logo and calipers had not occured to you?

shame corner for you.

(nah it looks slick)

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
The ST logos were just a sticker, the calipers require a lot more effort. But it will definitely be worth it.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Did my 4th autocross even in my 2013 GTI, and the day before did an SCCA starting line school. What a little trooper, I got positive comments on the car from the instructor, saying he was surprised how much speed and grip the car had for being FWD "it almost feels like it has an LSD" (it doesn't)

I'm definitely the limiting factor but so far this ol dog with 100k miles keeps doing what I ask of it. May look into adjustable shocks and a sway bar this year.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Arcella posted:

What a little trooper, I got positive comments on the car from the instructor, saying he was surprised how much speed and grip the car had for being FWD "it almost feels like it has an LSD" (it doesn't)

Mk7-2 time?

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Maaaaybe, though don’t tell anyone I’m thinking about a RWD car once it comes time to replace.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Arcella posted:

Maaaaybe, though don’t tell anyone I’m thinking about a RWD car once it comes time to replace.

No shame in that.

I was a diehard hot hatch and Honda guy forever but now I actually only own one FWD car (which happens to be a FiST). All my other personal cars are RWD (S2000, MX5, 911) plus a 4WD kei truck.

The FiST is still the best form factor for everyday use - fuel economy, power, hauling - but the MX5 is really the ideal autocross car and the S2000 and 911 are beyond compare as sports cars.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I can't stop looking at this Mazdaspeed 3 that's an hour up the road from me. It's a single owner, unmodified gen 1 with 67k miles.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Ehud posted:

I can't stop looking at this Mazdaspeed 3 that's an hour up the road from me. It's a single owner, unmodified gen 1 with 67k miles.

you could look at it even more if it was sittin in your driveway!!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

:yeah:

Anyone else looking hard at the Rivian R3X? My GTI will be 8 years old by the time it's out, I'm very tempted to put a deposit on one when able.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Mar 12, 2024

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the R3X looks cool but I wouldn't start even thinking about it as a real car you can buy until like... 2028

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Getting the FiST interior detailed next week, I'm stoked. Poor thing has been treated like a work truck for the last year and it shows.

In other car and money news, it was windy the other day and when I got to work a rogue gust tore the door out of my hand and slammed it into my coworker's Kia, causing a huge scrape down to the metal. What are the chances of getting that fixed for less than $500? I'd rather not have an at-fault incident on my record.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Is there actual damage to the panel or just a scratch?

If it's just a scratch, a good touch-up job by a pro will be a roughly ten footer and cost less than a hundred bucks. It'll look OK from distance but will not reflect correctly, won't be blended, etc. A respray of the panel, assuming it's door only, would be better and run probably... $300 at a decent shop, guessing. Depends on the paint.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Ehud posted:

My previous car was a 2012 MS3 also unmodified and single previous owner, and I'll say this:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Neo_Crimson posted:

My previous car was a 2012 MS3 also unmodified and single previous owner, and I'll say this:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I just called my boss and told him I need to take a day off tomorrow (so I could go look at the car :ssh:)

he told me don't bother to put in a PTO request and to just take it off

is this all meant to be

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
id ask if i was your boss, but no one asked for the day today so i have to say i like your boss.

e: if you told me you were looking at a car id ask 10 brajillion questions and still let you go

ee: unless you said tesla.

TehRedWheelbarrow fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 12, 2024

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’ve called out of work because a rare whiskey was available across town.

I’ve dewinterized the fiesta, but have only driven it twice. We got 1/4” snow on Sunday so all the salt trucks were out in force, meaning I’ve gotta wait for a few more hard rains to wash it away.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Ehud posted:

How much do you like torque steer.

I had a 2008.5 and loved it. Lots of character to the driving experience because the torque steer is crazy. There are a couple potentially expensive problems if I remember right, so definitely get it checked out. But if I had your same opportunity I would be tempted.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

grahm posted:

How much do you like torque steer.

I had a 2008.5 and loved it. Lots of character to the driving experience because the torque steer is crazy. There are a couple potentially expensive problems if I remember right, so definitely get it checked out. But if I had your same opportunity I would be tempted.

Based on my research so far, it seems like the VVT system and timing chain are two of the biggest concerns. I found a way to check the timing chain tension pretty easily. I contemplated renting a compression tester, but I don't know how much they're gonna let me take apart before they tell me to gently caress off lol. It has a lot of things you love to see in a used car: single owner, unmodified, low miles, southern owned. But it's still a 16 year old car. If I get serious about it today, I'll definitely run it up to a shop for a pre-purchase inspection.

This same lot also has a single owner 2011 GTI with 38k miles. I'll probably drive it too because I've somehow never driven a GTI.

I figure worst case scenario, today is a free day off from work and I get to add a couple of cars to my hot hatch bingo card.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Ehud posted:

Based on my research so far, it seems like the VVT system and timing chain are two of the biggest concerns. I found a way to check the timing chain tension pretty easily. I contemplated renting a compression tester, but I don't know how much they're gonna let me take apart before they tell me to gently caress off lol. It has a lot of things you love to see in a used car: single owner, unmodified, low miles, southern owned. But it's still a 16 year old car. If I get serious about it today, I'll definitely run it up to a shop for a pre-purchase inspection.

This same lot also has a single owner 2011 GTI with 38k miles. I'll probably drive it too because I've somehow never driven a GTI.

I figure worst case scenario, today is a free day off from work and I get to add a couple of cars to my hot hatch bingo card.

Literally exactly what I bought about 7 years ago, maybe a few thousand less miles. Dunno if I got a good one, but outside of basic maintenance only had to replace the coil packs. Just rolled 120k recently and I still love it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I’ve called out of work because a rare whiskey was available across town.

I’ve dewinterized the fiesta, but have only driven it twice. We got 1/4” snow on Sunday so all the salt trucks were out in force, meaning I’ve gotta wait for a few more hard rains to wash it away.

yeah the alltrack drove in Zero Snow this year despite putting snows on it in November

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Roundup Ready posted:

Literally exactly what I bought about 7 years ago, maybe a few thousand less miles. Dunno if I got a good one, but outside of basic maintenance only had to replace the coil packs. Just rolled 120k recently and I still love it.

I drove it around a bunch, absolutely loved it, but it has some issues. Drive belt needs replacing, has a bad wheel bearing, and a bunch of coolant had splashed around the engine bay that was never cleaned up. Nothing that was a dealbreaker, but they wouldn't work with me on the price and it was already at the top end of what I was looking to spend, so I walked for now.

edit also it smelled very musty inside

Ehud fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 13, 2024

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

welp, glad I didn’t buy the one from yesterday

77k miles
owned by an older dude who never modded it

Picking it up next Saturday

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

hell yeah

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Ehud posted:

77k miles

Excellent color.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

I still very much like those

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Ehud posted:

77k miles

I had the same color. 77K miles and unmodded is awesome.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

carticket posted:

Excellent color.

Super excited to find it in white. White and cosmic blue are my two favorite gen 1 colors.

grahm posted:

I had the same color. 77K miles and unmodded is awesome.

I was so excited when I saw the listing. It actually sold to somebody else, but I messaged the seller and asked them to forward my number to the buyer and let them know if they were interested in a quick flip, I'd buy it for more than they just paid for it.

Turns out it was purchased by this nice lady who bought it for one of her employees who didn't have reliable transportation. She gives it to the employee and finds out that they can't drive a manual. So, she's thinking "Great, now I gotta resell this car, what a hassle." And right as she's trying to figure out what to do, she gets the message about me wanting to buy it.

She calls me and we talk for 30 mins. She has no idea what a Mazdaspeed is and keeps calling it "a Mazda Speedy or whatever." :shobon: Nicest lady in the world and she's super happy that I'm taking it off her hands.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

fknlo posted:

I still very much like those

I almost bought one new in 2010 but ended up getting a 128i instead because BMW's lease subsidies were outrageous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari