Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
Well, turned out I had a bad coil. Ended up doing plugs and coils and it seems fine now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
Ceramic coat + light rain + overnight freezing temps = free vortex generators

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I was just forwarded a spreadsheet for the Mazdaspeed3 I'm buying. The owner kept track of every single maintenance item since they purchased the car in 2013.

they also kept track of every single fill up they ever did, including the date, the mileage at the time of fill up, how much gas they bought, and how many mpg they're getting.

what the hell

I'm going to always buy cars from engineers from now on.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

This guy gassed up the car one time in 2023? What car did he get as a replacement?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

This guy gassed up the car one time in 2023? What car did he get as a replacement?

yeah I'm not sure why he drove so little. I know he's in his 60s, so maybe he's just not getting around as much now.

honestly, if I have one concern about the car it's that it was driven so little and cars that sit can have their own set of issues.

also the VVT and timing chain hasn't been done yet, so I need to set aside money for that.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Is there actual damage to the panel or just a scratch?

If it's just a scratch, a good touch-up job by a pro will be a roughly ten footer and cost less than a hundred bucks. It'll look OK from distance but will not reflect correctly, won't be blended, etc. A respray of the panel, assuming it's door only, would be better and run probably... $300 at a decent shop, guessing. Depends on the paint.

I didn't get pics, which I should have. It's about a 10-12 inch scrape, some of which is down to the metal. I don't *think* there was panel damage but I'm not sure. I haven't seen my coworker or heard from her or her mom since, so I'l kind of hoping they're just like, "eh, is Kia, now is slightly shittier" but the car was pretty clean beforehand- if it were my car I certainly wouldn't brush it off. If she gets back to me I'll definitely suggest getting an estimate before filing insurance.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Ehud posted:

I was just forwarded a spreadsheet for the Mazdaspeed3 I'm buying. The owner kept track of every single maintenance item since they purchased the car in 2013.

they also kept track of every single fill up they ever did, including the date, the mileage at the time of fill up, how much gas they bought, and how many mpg they're getting.

what the hell

pretty easy to track all that with fuelly, i have just about the same data on all my cars

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

The BK 3 MPS is such a handsome hatchback. I had a black 08 back in the day and I miss it a lot. I'd be happy to keep one unmodded even.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

lilbeefer posted:

The BK 3 MPS is such a handsome hatchback. I had a black 08 back in the day and I miss it a lot. I'd be happy to keep one unmodded even.

I’m having trouble parsing this post.

“Unmodded”?

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I got a 2019 Golf R back in October of last year and I've absolutely loved it so far. It's got 60k on it, and I'm trying to decide if it's worth paying dealer cost for the maintenance assuming that keeps me on the good side of the remaining 12k in warranty miles, or if I should save the money and just do the oil/haldex services myself. Either way, it's been tons of fun so far.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I’m having trouble parsing this post.

“Unmodded”?

I think they mean “slow” and/or “boring” OP.

Cat Pancakes
Apr 24, 2012
I bought a Speed6 and am selling my Speed3, am I still allowed in Mazdaspeed hot hatch chat? Also seconding that BK hatches are great, I will definitely miss mine. Excited to do some mods on the 6 though, going to swap my turbo and intercooler over at some point, I'm putting my 3 back to stock engine wise. the 6 has 133k, was garage kept and is stock. For now.

Cat Pancakes fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 21, 2024

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Korwen posted:

I got a 2019 Golf R back in October of last year and I've absolutely loved it so far. It's got 60k on it, and I'm trying to decide if it's worth paying dealer cost for the maintenance assuming that keeps me on the good side of the remaining 12k in warranty miles, or if I should save the money and just do the oil/haldex services myself. Either way, it's been tons of fun so far.

Congrats on the R! As for maintenance, I’d pay up. Keep things on the up and up for a little bit I say. Good to know who’s in town for the jobs you don’t want to DIY too.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Cat Pancakes posted:

I bought a Speed6 and am selling my Speed3, am I still allowed in Mazdaspeed hot hatch chat? Also seconding that BK hatches are great, I will definitely miss mine. Excited to do some mods on the 6 though, going to swap my turbo and intercooler over at some point, I'm putting my 3 back to stock engine wise. the 6 has 133k, was garage kept and is stock. For now.

I fully acknowledge I'm boring and old but leave it stock :( they're becoming so rare especially in that condition.

Cat Pancakes
Apr 24, 2012

opengl posted:

I fully acknowledge I'm boring and old but leave it stock :( they're becoming so rare especially in that condition.

My main issue is k04 is gunna k04, its already consuming some oil through the turbo and I have a CST4 on hand, a mild upgrade that fixes the turbo seal issues. Im not planning on running high boost or anything, very mild tune to smooth out the power band so the power doesn't just fall off at 5.5k, with a more reliable turbo. Also, it needs more tire than the stock 215 on a 3600lb car. My plans consist of bilsteins, nice pads and rotors with steel lines, rear diff brace and the aforementioned turbo and tmic plus the hpfp. Going for an OEM + thing, truly dont want to ruin it.

Cat Pancakes fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 21, 2024

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Cat Pancakes posted:

Man, that's quite a find. I briefly looked at 6's and a good example like this might as well be a unicorn.

Korwen posted:

Love the Golf R.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Grabbed a photo by my favorite mural

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

lol, that's awesome

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
everything reminds me of her

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Got it home after 7 hours of driving on Saturday.

Needs a good detailing, but for a 2009 car it's in awesome shape. Drove great all the way home.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
hell yeah

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Ehud posted:

what the hell

I kept this documentation for my 2009 MS3... I'm also an engineer. In my defense regarding the fuel documentation, the previous owner started it so i just kept on doing it. I think he was also an engineer.

I did eventually stop updating the fuel spreadsheet because I didn't notice any oddities and I figured whoever I sold the car to wouldn't care.

Edit:

Ehud posted:

Got it home after 7 hours of driving on Saturday.

Needs a good detailing, but for a 2009 car it's in awesome shape. Drove great all the way home.

The fuel pump/tank lock ring failed on me-- not long after the radiator tank developed a crack-- and this was back in 2020 or 2021. I'd keep any eye on anything plastic on that car.

The fuel tank lock ring is apparently a common-ish failure and there was a recall for it on the MS6 and RX8, but Mazda wouldn't do a good-will gesture for me to replace it. I believe the part number was identical, too, with one of those cars... Regardless it requires dropping the tank, as the access hatch in the back seat isn't actually big enough to remove the lock ring.

I've also just had bad luck with "older" cars and plastic bits related to the fuel tank. My 240SX developed a crack in the fuel tank back in 2010, and that was a bitch to replace in my garage.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 27, 2024

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
What if we kissed in the Walmart parking lot?

I gotta say, if used ST's around me weren't all dripping vape juice or rode hard put away wet I would be very termpted. Very rare Ford styling win, just a handsome little car.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
….how about the Lowe’s or Costco parking lot instead?

I had to search far and wide to find mine and got lucky - single owner and judging by a forgotten piece of mail in the glovebox, older. Took at least three months of searching as the market of used ones that aren’t distasteful in someway is, indeed, dire.

Saw a preliminary post on autotrader up at a dealer in Wisconsin without any pictures so I called for a sales person. They took me on a FaceTime walk around and I put a deposit down later that day. Conveniently we were going to Wisconsin dells for vacation that very next week, so we drove over and picked it up mid-week and I drove it back home.

Makes me happy every time I get into it.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Put summer tires back on the FiST and good lord it has made all the difference. I thought I had matching all seasons on the front, but they were not matching. (replaced a few tires in Atlanta because they put invisible curbs everywhere, iykyk.) Traction control is a lot happier now. I'll probably just use summer tires year round here, it only snows a few times.

Next project is engine mounts and a few other fun things like an exhaust scoop. I still want to replace the driver's seat with a recaro, but I would have to meet other prospective buyers on the field of battle to get one and I don't know if I could defeat another FiST owner in single combat, so we'll see.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

What the heck is an exhaust scoop?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Wroughtirony posted:

Put summer tires back on the FiST and good lord it has made all the difference. I thought I had matching all seasons on the front, but they were not matching. (replaced a few tires in Atlanta because they put invisible curbs everywhere, iykyk.) Traction control is a lot happier now. I'll probably just use summer tires year round here, it only snows a few times.

Next project is engine mounts and a few other fun things like an exhaust scoop. I still want to replace the driver's seat with a recaro, but I would have to meet other prospective buyers on the field of battle to get one and I don't know if I could defeat another FiST owner in single combat, so we'll see.

Just get off-the-shelf aftermarket (ie “real”) recaros. Don’t waste your time + money tracking down the ST ones that came as a package option from Ford. They’re not the same thing and they’re not nearly as good as a real race seat.

You can put a seat heating pad in it if you want the seat heating feature.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

trilobite terror posted:

Just get off-the-shelf aftermarket (ie “real”) recaros. Don’t waste your time + money tracking down the ST ones that came as a package option from Ford. They’re not the same thing and they’re not nearly as good as a real race seat.

You can put a seat heating pad in it if you want the seat heating feature.

The big advantage to OEM seats is the airbag sensors are plug and play

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I had to rewire/trick the airbag sensor on my NC Miata, is the FiST straightforward to wire? In the NC’s case it was just “pop a resistor in the wire”.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A friend hit a rock w/ his mk7 gti and ended up cracking the oil pan over the weekend. That sounds decidedly not fun to me, so I started looking into skid plates. Looks like the two main options are the oem alltrack one, or ECS aluminum

Any thoughts on which is better? The OEM one is not metal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVOtgbZ3Q6g&t=512s

Which seems like a confusing choice (can't it just deflect up enough to still gently caress up the oil pan?)

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

The aluminum one is cheaper? That’s a no-brainer to me.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

My GTI has been in the shop for a bit. Threw a check engine right before my 120k appointment. Thankfully not the timing chain the code said, but still pretty lovely. Cam shaft sensor is out, and the manifold seal at the least. Apparently there was barely any oil when they checked. Light never came on and I have one of the unicorns that's never burned oil.

Plus side is I got an id4 loaner. After about a week I friggin love this car and don't want to give it back this evening. I'd prefer it to be smaller, but the big bastard is fun as hell to drive. My dad visited the other day, let him take it for a spin. He's in the market for a new vehicle and the grin on his face makes me thinks he might be contemplating one now.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

I, err, wildly underestimated how much I'd be driving the new Mini in a year. It didn't help that ownership kicked off with a 1500 mile drive back home, but it looks like I'll be hitting the 5k miles mark around May 1st and I entered myself for a full season of autocross competitions so it's getting an oil change and tire rotation because some jerk can't stop hooning it.

Slightly less fun was cleaning up copious amounts of brake dust from the wheels

I regret nothing!

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I don't have any context for how long it has taken you to put on 5k miles, but my car that has 25 miles on December 12th is about to pass 10k miles right around the 4 month of ownership mark.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

carticket posted:

I don't have any context for how long it has taken you to put on 5k miles, but my car that has 25 miles on December 12th is about to pass 10k miles right around the 4 month of ownership mark.

Whoops, I'll have owned it for six months on or about the 1st of May this year.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Just got a call from the shop and I'm pretty sure my GTI is totaled. After fixing the cam sensor and oil leak it's still coding. Chain and timing is apparently hosed, and they quoted me over 6k to fix it. No friggin way can I afford that, nor is it even with it at that point. gently caress.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

10k miles a year is slightly under average. I think it’s about 12.5k

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I only recently passed the 15k mark on my Mk7.5 GTI I bought in 2020. Got several big road trips lined up later this year at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I had to rewire/trick the airbag sensor on my NC Miata, is the FiST straightforward to wire? In the NC’s case it was just “pop a resistor in the wire”.

I've been trying to find a trustworthy answer to this for a few years because I really want to put better seats in mine but the crash rating is bad enough with the airbags working, I don't want to risk making them not work properly. The only posts I've ever found talking about airbags are swapping Focus Recaros in.