Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I just upgraded sync3 to the very latest version. Real stupid how you have to downgrade, then upgrade if you are past a certain release.

Took it down south last Monday and had a glorious uninterrupted run of 7-8 miles on some very twisty, hilly terrain. Now that foliage is starting to come in I won’t be able to go through there anymore, it drops the visibility a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I love my FiST. Going down to a 16” wheel is a pro move and makes the car ride better and handle no worse. I’ve had mine for 20k miles of questionable PA roads and I shudder to think of what I’ll have to replace it years down the line.

The only “problem” I’ve had with mine is the blend door motors but that was $40 and 60 minutes to fix. I’ve also put a set of plus in it at 105k miles but despite the factory service interval being 100k, they still looked more than serviceable.

The interior is fine, build quality is better than the economy car roots would have you believe, and it’s always a riot to drive hard. I can haul a fair amount of poo poo for work, especially with the seats down.

Big vote for a FiST, especially the last few years where you got backup cam and Sync3.

yo can you point me to a good resource for a blend door fix? I gotta do that to mine, among other things

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Lemme do something I probably should have done over a week ago and crib from the A/T thread:

Proposed Budget: Flexible; 20~25k ideal, 25~30k reasonable, 45k maximum/worst case scenario (it’d better last me a long time)
New or Used: Depends; used if checks important aspects within or below ideal price range, new otherwise
How will you be using the car?: Errands, chores, weekend drives, occasional city and semi-suburb commute
What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability, durability, ease of maintenance, parts availability, predictable lifespan and pain points, not afraid of dings and bumps from lovely busted Massachusetts roads; if stick: assistive features and newbie-friendly a big plus

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Ahhh, I see. Mazda 3 is your answer for both comfort, space and aesthetics. 191 hp at the base trim and still $6k less than a 180 hp civic sport touring. If you wanted to you could even get AWD for less than the civic. The turbo versions are a bit more expensive but jump up to 250hp.

It’s 2 cubes less than the Honda, but I would personally rather drive the 3.

I have considered that one, for sure. The Mazda 3 is really quite nice and fits the hatchback form factor better than the Civic does, though I’m not 100% I’d take it over the latter. Probably something I’d need a couple test drives to clarify, but Civic edges it out so far in the warm hatch category.

Also got a bit turned off by the whole “register online to use your key fob” thing, so there’s that.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

As for the FoST, that depends - do the rivets come standard? :v:

(spotted at the auto shop)

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Pollyanna posted:

As for the FoST, that depends - do the rivets come standard? :v:

(spotted at the auto shop)

all i know is if someone parks like that next to my car it's a fight on sight

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Pollyanna I think a Honda Fit would be perfect for you. They're very reliable and have a weirdly large amount of cargo space for their size, and even with prices going up, a used one with good mileage should be well within your budget. There's a manual option too if you want.

EDIT: Here's one in MA with a stick, 54k miles, and at $16k.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 24, 2024

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:wtf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ee4GTguycA

I thought the Honda Fit was some sort of budget car. In fact, I haven't heard much about it at all. Is there a reason?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

trilobite terror posted:

they want a manual transmission tho, why would they want a CVT? They could just keep their 2013 automatic Civic in that case. It’s in really good shape and has like ~35k miles on it

I don’t think manual was a necessity, or I completely glossed over that fact.

As far as the blend door, I did mine a few months ago. this is a great resource right here . You definitely want a thumb ratchet for the job.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Pollyanna posted:

I thought the Honda Fit was some sort of budget car. In fact, I haven't heard much about it at all. Is there a reason?

They stopped making it a couple of years back. It’s a spectacular little beast with an insane amount of room inside.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Pollyanna posted:

It is a budget car, it just happens to be a really drat good budget car. You haven't heard of it because Americans largely ignore the subcompact hatchback segment outside of a section of car enthusiasts.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Chiming in to say that my Honda Fit has been trucking along for more than a decade and its been great. If it had a little more power I wouldn't even think about replacing it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

There's a cup holder next to the wheel? :laffo: Instant buy.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I don’t think manual was a necessity, or I completely glossed over that fact.

I am interested in learning stick, since a couple cars I'd like to play with come only in manual. Plus it'd impress my parents and boy do I need help in that department.

It's not a hard requirement, but a beater to practice on could be a plus. Especially if it's got newbie-friendly features like Honda's rev matching thing apparently is.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

They stopped making it a couple of years back. It’s a spectacular little beast with an insane amount of room inside.

quote:

Starting from 2020, the model was phased out in most Southeast Asian and Latin American countries to be replaced by the larger City Hatchback, while it was withdrawn entirely from the North American market due to falling demand within the subcompact segment.[15]

Ah yes, big car gotta go big brrroooovvvvmmmmmmm. :hmmyes:

Sure, I'll investigate. If it can hit a sweet spot between the Civic's reliability/durability and a typical hot hatch's bells and whistles for a good price, that's pretty competitive. Depends on how it'd do in my area with its poo poo roads and all.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The Fit is slow as gently caress

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The tofu delivery livery adds 40hp :colbert:

Edit: Also, can't you just like...replace car engines? If it's too slow, swap it out for something stronger.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 24, 2024

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Why is everyone trying to talk them out of their original, objectively correct choice the GTI?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Enos Cabell posted:

Why is everyone trying to talk them out of their original, objectively correct choice the GTI?

Serious talk: there's literally like 20 different perfectly valid options and I'm spoiled for choice, I have no idea which one to go with and it's gonna take some work to audit them all. Since I'm not in a rush to buy, just looking to upgrade - I can take my time and do my research/lock in my priorities.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

dude like half the Boston discord owns a fit and we talked extensively about the fit when you asked us about this

fit owns and is available in yellow, which owns. it’s kinda slow but who cares, ma traffic is slow

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

The tofu delivery livery adds 40hp :colbert:

Edit: Also, can't you just like...replace car engines? If it's too slow, swap it out for something stronger.

Not really.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

It's not a hard requirement, but a beater to practice on could be a plus. Especially if it's got newbie-friendly features like Honda's rev matching thing apparently is.

I don't think rev match was ever available on North American Fits but in every other respect it sounds good for you.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The fit is all about practicality. If you’re willing to sacrifice that for fun, the next step is the Fiesta ST. Same segment, roughly the same size, but a hell of a lot more torque and power.

For all that nonsense about the FiST not having enough cargo space I say: move the cargo tray down a level. Bam! 5 sq ft more space. Doesn’t solve the seats not folding flat, but that’s due to the ST seats having more bolstering.

Alternate option if you wanna get wacky: Veloster N.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

trilobite terror posted:

dude like half the Boston discord owns a fit and we talked extensively about the fit when you asked us about this

fit owns and is available in yellow, which owns. it’s kinda slow but who cares, ma traffic is slow

In my defense I can’t read.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
lol someone in the hot hatch thread says they are spoiled for choice. you better be in europe otherwise the future is bleak.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

trilobite terror posted:

yo can you point me to a good resource for a blend door fix? I gotta do that to mine, among other things

Go on Rock Auto and buy the OEM Motorcraft parts. They aren’t too much more expensive than generic and they’ve been updated. Then get yourself a couple of thumb wheel ratchets. With these it’s possible to do the driver’s side without removal of tons of stuff.

Here’s how I did it:

PASSENGER SIDE - YH1985

-Remove glove box. The blend door actuator is visible directly in the middle of the opening. Unplug it and unscrew the two screws. Replace with new one.

DRIVER SIDE - YH1986

-remove steering column plastic. The blend door actuator is almost invisible WAY THE gently caress on the back right side of the opening , basically behind the AC controls, but inside the dash. You might have to move the wheel up and down to get better access for your specific hand and arm.
-Use the thumb wheel ratchet and all of your patience to remove the two screws holding the actuator on. Unplug and replace with new one.

Total time for me to do both was about 45-50 minutes and I’m not patient with small fiddly parts because my hands are dumb.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 24, 2024

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

If you don't want a GR Corolla you can get a 2023 (or older) XSE Hatchback with a manual. Looks like Toyota got rid of the option for the 2024 model.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I've got a 2020 Fit with the CVT, it has enough grunt to get out of its own way, and that's plenty fine. 90% of the time with the car you're not gonna be throwing it around twisty roads like you're some sorta Tofu God, you're gonna be stuck in traffic running errands. When you do find time to play though, it's pretty great for a "slow car fast" subcompact hatchback.

The biggest complaint I have is Honda never gave it the newest infotainment system, and the CVT nerfs the wonderful noises coming from the little 1.5L.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Pollyanna posted:

Lemme do something I probably should have done over a week ago and crib from the A/T thread:

Proposed Budget: Flexible; 20~25k ideal, 25~30k reasonable, 45k maximum/worst case scenario (it’d better last me a long time)
New or Used: Depends; used if checks important aspects within or below ideal price range, new otherwise
How will you be using the car?: Errands, chores, weekend drives, occasional city and semi-suburb commute
What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability, durability, ease of maintenance, parts availability, predictable lifespan and pain points, not afraid of dings and bumps from lovely busted Massachusetts roads; if stick: assistive features and newbie-friendly a big plus

I have considered that one, for sure. The Mazda 3 is really quite nice and fits the hatchback form factor better than the Civic does, though I’m not 100% I’d take it over the latter. Probably something I’d need a couple test drives to clarify, but Civic edges it out so far in the warm hatch category.

Also got a bit turned off by the whole “register online to use your key fob” thing, so there’s that.

It's pushing your budget, but my wife just needed a new car after her 2017 Mazda 3 was wrecked. She really likes driving manual, and we were hovering around Honda Civics a bunch - annoyingly my local dealers had huge markups on the Si and were treating them like gold. However we ended up going with an Acura Integra A Spec Tech 6MT. It's an actual hatch with a ton of cargo space that felt like an upgrade from her Mazda. The driver assist tech is actually really nice and not intrusive, and it has Wireless ACP/AA and wireless charging. Plus we got the Integra under MSRP vs. fighting with the dealer to get rid of dealer markup. The only downside is you have to get the Tech package to get the 6MT so you end up in the high 30s. But if you like the fancy bits it's nice. The 200hp Turbo is definitely Warm Hatch - it feels great if you're at 2/3 throttle and passing on the highway, but it runs out of breath up high and starts to feel pretty slow. Also the adaptive dampers in the tech package make the thing ride much nicer than the Civic version

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:corsair: 200hp is a warm hatch eh

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

my car is an Elantra N so the Integra definitely felt less spicy by comparison

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bentai posted:

I've got a 2020 Fit with the CVT, it has enough grunt to get out of its own way, and that's plenty fine. 90% of the time with the car you're not gonna be throwing it around twisty roads like you're some sorta Tofu God, you're gonna be stuck in traffic running errands. When you do find time to play though, it's pretty great for a "slow car fast" subcompact hatchback.

The biggest complaint I have is Honda never gave it the newest infotainment system, and the CVT nerfs the wonderful noises coming from the little 1.5L.

man gently caress a cvt

what thread is this

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I had a 2018 Fit with the 6-speed and that was slow as poo poo, I can’t even imagine it with a CVT. All CVT’s are fun killers.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

must not cvt. cvt is the fun killer

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

pacific drive lied to me :(

Midjack posted:

I don't think rev match was ever available on North American Fits but in every other respect it sounds good for you.

quote:

Honda's Rev Match Control System enhances the manual transmission experience by automatically optimizing engine revs to match the intended gear, realizing car stability through smooth gear changes.

By automating rev matching, a technique requiring much practice, the driver can now concentrate more on steering and braking.

[…]

Honda’s Rev Match Control System automatically calculates the optimum engine revs and "blips" when the driver downshifts, realizing a driving experience equivalent to precise heel-and-toe operations.

Hm! I should probably learn stick first so I can understand exactly how high priority this is.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

The fit is all about practicality. If you’re willing to sacrifice that for fun, the next step is the Fiesta ST. Same segment, roughly the same size, but a hell of a lot more torque and power.

For all that nonsense about the FiST not having enough cargo space I say: move the cargo tray down a level. Bam! 5 sq ft more space. Doesn’t solve the seats not folding flat, but that’s due to the ST seats having more bolstering.

Alternate option if you wanna get wacky: Veloster N.

I would not be averse to getting a practical, durable, and reliable car now and then getting a more powerful car later once I actually have a fuckin’ clue.

lol someone in the hot hatch thread says they are spoiled for choice. you better be in europe otherwise the future is bleak.

EU and APAC stay winning I guess.

MunchE posted:

It's pushing your budget, but my wife just needed a new car after her 2017 Mazda 3 was wrecked. She really likes driving manual, and we were hovering around Honda Civics a bunch - annoyingly my local dealers had huge markups on the Si and were treating them like gold. However we ended up going with an Acura Integra A Spec Tech 6MT. It's an actual hatch with a ton of cargo space that felt like an upgrade from her Mazda. The driver assist tech is actually really nice and not intrusive, and it has Wireless ACP/AA and wireless charging. Plus we got the Integra under MSRP vs. fighting with the dealer to get rid of dealer markup. The only downside is you have to get the Tech package to get the 6MT so you end up in the high 30s. But if you like the fancy bits it's nice. The 200hp Turbo is definitely Warm Hatch - it feels great if you're at 2/3 throttle and passing on the highway, but it runs out of breath up high and starts to feel pretty slow. Also the adaptive dampers in the tech package make the thing ride much nicer than the Civic version

I haven’t considered Acura models much since IIUC they’re more on the luxury side, and that’s one thing I can pretty safely say is lower priority for me. I’d take a nice durable, breathable fabric over leather any day. That said, I’m not informed on what “luxury” really means, so I’m mostly talking out of my rear end here.

Worth a test drive!

:shrug:

trilobite terror posted:

man gently caress a cvt

what thread is this

More like CBT amirite.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
fits are cool.

I like he second gen. add a stiff suspension and they are competent & fun to whip around at autox.

Goodtime Pancreas
May 31, 2007
Auto Rev match is totally not a high priority for learning stick. I have it in my type r and it's more annoying than anything.

Essentially it revs the engine to what it should be for your lower gear at your current speed when you shift, but there seems to be no "thinking" or computing involved.

So most of the time I notice it is when I'm cruising like 45-60 mph in 4th, my turn is coming up so I preemptively clutch in and move the shifter to 2nd and it revs up to like 4 or 5k even though I have no intention of going 45 in 2nd gear and everyone around looks at me like I'm dumb.

I applaud you for wanting to learn stick, but I don't think anyone would slight you for choosing an auto or gti dsg living near a major city like Boston. I used to handle traffic with a stick a lot better when I was younger, now it's just frustrating. But gently caress cvts.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i've spent the majority of my adult life driving stick in boston and it's fine if you aren't a coward

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

driving a manual makes me feel like i'm cooler than i really am

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

https://hasportperformance.com/products/gkk-k-series-swap-mounts-for-2015-2019-fit/

Time to learn some wrenching.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

gonna need a few more parts than that

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Ehud posted:

It’s a good dad car. On the rare occasion I do front of school drop-off, the ST definitely stands out in the line of cars. The bright yellow doesn’t hurt either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Ehud posted:

:hf: