Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

omgitstheinternet posted:

My new hot hatch, my favorite hot hatch.

Wow, I think I've only seen one of those in person. Very nice.

Also, $300 for a factory suspension package? Cheap!

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Aug 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

omgitstheinternet posted:

My new hot hatch, my favorite hot hatch.

I hate you so much right now :argh:

Please give a full review on how it drives :allears:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

sadnessboner posted:

Consensus across every single review I can find is that the Fiesta ST is the best in the sector right now. In the EVO group test of the 208 GTI, Clio RS, Fiesta ST, Nismo Juke and (the far more expensive) JCW Mini, the Fiesta took the crown. Despite being slowest in a straight line, it lapped their test course fastest of all; while being described as the most fun/playful chassis of the group. I don't think the handling is an issue.

mafoose posted:

My friend with the regular 1.6 Fiesta just put the $250 Ford Racing suspension on the car (new struts and springs) and it is an absolute riot to drive!
And it isn't bad on these terrible AZ roads.

Still has quite a bit of roll, it could use bigger sways probably.

Awesome, thank you both. I've got enough cars that go fast in a straight line, want something that is fun on a track with turns and I've already owned a Miata.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

mafoose posted:

Have you been outside of Phoenix? For one Tucson roads are utter poo poo! Especially monsoon season...
I've pretty much been everywhere in Arizona... never spent time in Tucson other than running Lemmon laps.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Everyone keeps telling me I need to get an accessport for this, but I am a bit put off about the warranty implications.

I loving love that car. The turbo lag is pretty significant though.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

CharlesM posted:

Also, $300 for a factory suspension package? Cheap!
He paid $250 through a dealership on some Fiesta Forum

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Laranzu posted:

Make a quick 1-2 shift under moderate acceleration. Your engine will slam all the way back and make a huge bang accompanied by wheel hop. The stock mounts on STs are horrifically flimsy. Its TSB 13-6-10

I found it! I usually putter out 1-2 really fast since I tend to be driving around town right now or on the highway. I'll have to get it scheduled. Can't believe that made it through testing.

That Z4M is pretty bad rear end. I would probably prefer a different color though.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Farking Bastage posted:

Everyone keeps telling me I need to get an accessport for this, but I am a bit put off about the warranty implications.

IIRC the gains on a WRX with a Cobb AP stage 1 tune are pretty significant.

As far as warranty, you can deprogram the thing if you are worried. It's not detectable and even if it was, by congressional decree the dealer has to prove that whatever you've done to the car caused the issue prior to denying warranty work.

I have a '13 STi I plan on buying an AP for, though in my case it was at the dealer's recommendation. I will still be mums about it when I take it in just in case.

roger wilco
Jun 22, 2012
nice bimmer -- I've never even seen one of those before. I hope it's a good of a performer as it is a looker. I think it's very sharp -- great color choice too.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I want a more winter drivable fqun car so I'm looking at replacing my 370z with a hot hatch. Going to test drive a Focus ST and a second STi test drive. Curious if the focus can be as fun.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

I received an email from my local Ford dealership that they "actually have a Fiesta ST due in any day, actually 2 of them; both molten orange." Probably dealer language to keep me hooked into buying one, but I'd be damned if it isn't working right now. Want that Fiesta :swoon:

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

VTNewb posted:

I want a more winter drivable fqun car so I'm looking at replacing my 370z with a hot hatch. Going to test drive a Focus ST and a second STi test drive. Curious if the focus can be as fun.

The ST comes with summer tires, so figure some winters into your price.

It's also torquey as hell, so its only winter plus side is FWD vs RWD.

It wins on fun though.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

Miscellaneous_T posted:

"actually have a Fiesta ST due in any day, actually 2 of them; both molten orange."
I feel like I'm the only person out there who wishes Ford would drop rental-car white on the ST in favor of Blue Candy. :(

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Farking Bastage posted:

That's why people are telling you to tune it. The lag will still be there, it will just feel like you're being punched in the chest when it spools, which makes it feel worthwhile. The car is pretty stout though, I wouldn't worry about engine failures on them, especially with an accessport.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
If you own an ST, make sure you tell whoever services your car that you need to pull the metal ring up on the shifter to get into reverse, the guys I just used to get my windows tinted completely destroyed my reverse lock out clip.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Oof the ST was good. Awesome interior and exterior. Gear noise from the engine. Wish it had more power. Ugh. Might do it anyway

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

There's some great incentives for the Focus ST in Canada right now.
"Ford Employee Pricing" @ $2620 off and 0% financing.

If they really want to move metal, they'll give me a fair trade in value for my 07 Legacy... it'll be too tempting to resist.

I called my preferred dealer and they're sold out, but will be getting more asap.

Focus ST owners, could I ask what you love and hate about the car?

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.

smooth jazz posted:

There's some great incentives for the Focus ST in Canada right now.
"Ford Employee Pricing" @ $2620 off and 0% financing.

If they really want to move metal, they'll give me a fair trade in value for my 07 Legacy... it'll be too tempting to resist.

I called my preferred dealer and they're sold out, but will be getting more asap.

Focus ST owners, could I ask what you love and hate about the car?

I would also like to get some experiences with the 2013 Focus ST. Looking at buying one, but holding off until the 2014 for the rear view camera after talking with a dealership here today.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Literally the only thing about the Focus ST I dislike is that the turning radius is horrendous, easily the worst of any car I've ever driven. It makes parking the drat thing a huge chore, and I'm not sure how it passed muster since the car is essentially a European hatch (that has to deal with all the space confines of Euro countries).

Aside from that it has been totally awesome to own. Time will tell if it remains a reliable car, but for the first 18.5k miles it has been trouble free, except for some non-essential service bulletins (for the shift banging, for the instrument panel cluster, and a new one for ST3 models only for some side-markers that don't illuminate properly).

bobfather fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 4, 2013

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

All this Focus ST chat made me check some prices near me.

Dealer has a 2013 ST3 with the tangerine scream paint for $23k before TTL. Price seems really low, wonder if I'm missing something.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Bovril Delight posted:

All this Focus ST chat made me check some prices near me.

Dealer has a 2013 ST3 with the tangerine scream paint for $23k before TTL. Price seems really low, wonder if I'm missing something.

Used? ST3 Tangerine Screams were MSRPing around 30k. The ST2s are MSRPing around 26k or so. There aren't any good incentives either. It has to be a mislabeled ST1.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 4, 2013

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Laranzu posted:

Used? ST3 Tangerine Screams were MSRPing around 30k. The ST2s are MSRPing around 26k or so. There aren't any good incentives either. It has to be a mislabeled ST1.

Says 0 miles. Has the Recaros and what looks like the HIDs on the front end pics. The "Window Sticker" you can view has the 202A package on it, MSRP $29,525. Internet price $22,999.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Koni Shocks
Spax Springs
Corksport SRI+TIP
Forge V2 BPV
Interior LED kit

I think its tastefully done, nothing extreme.

Besides the only thing that shows on the outside is the lowering, still not sure most people on the road even know the difference between the Speed3 and the regular Mazda.

Edit:

Everyone screams about the torque steer, it's not near as bad as everyone claims. Try holding onto the wheel instead of using 1 finger hooked in the spoke

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Aug 4, 2013

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Bovril Delight posted:

Says 0 miles. Has the Recaros and what looks like the HIDs on the front end pics. The "Window Sticker" you can view has the 202A package on it, MSRP $29,525. Internet price $22,999.

My gut says that it's a price mistake, but if you did get the car for that price it would be the lowest price on an ST3 I've ever seen! I'd say go take a look at it if you're even remotely interested in the car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

bobfather posted:

Literally the only thing about the Focus ST I dislike is that the turning radius is horrendous, easily the worst of any car I've ever driven. It makes parking the drat thing a huge chore, and I'm not sure how it passed muster since the car is essentially a European hatch (that has to deal with all the space confines of Euro countries).

Aside from that it has been totally awesome to own. Time will tell if it remains a reliable car, but for the first 18.5k miles it has been trouble free, except for some non-essential service bulletins (for the shift banging, for the instrument panel cluster, and a new one for ST3 models only for some side-markers that don't illuminate properly).

The turning radius and the rear visibility are my main issues with the car.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Decided to black out the car, just finished plastidipping the wheels. Very easy to do, knocked out all 4 on the car in under 2 hours. Gotta get tints on the brake lights and I'll be all done

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Sepist posted:

Decided to black out the car, just finished plastidipping the wheels. Very easy to do, knocked out all 4 on the car in under 2 hours. Gotta get tints on the brake lights and I'll be all done

Had mine plastidipped as well, did a horrid job though even with 4-5 coats a rim.

I think there was some air/water trapped underneath and one of the rims started to peel around the air-bib-connector-thing.

Rear valence however has 3 good solid coats on it and has lasted a year, along with the emblems

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
The few things I dislike on the ST:

-turning radius is big for a small car, but considering I was coming from a truck, still smaller than that. I heard the remedy was to go down a wheel size but the 18s fill that wheel well so nicely
-exhaust note is a bit muted on the outside. I wish it was a bit louder to really distinguish it from stock Focuses
-brake/gas arrangement is tough for heel toe downshifts, but I've seen people create their own spacers to raise the gas pedal, something I might do in the future since my friends dad is a machinist and loves making custom parts
-throttle response feels like its been messed with for a more easier time to drive and save gas. The Cobb access port tuner can fix this, as well as a number of other performance adjustments

Those are my dislikes. I love the car and a lot of my buddies want to give it a spin whenever I'm in town.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Ringo Star Get posted:

-brake/gas arrangement is tough for heel toe downshifts, but I've seen people create their own spacers to raise the gas pedal, something I might do in the future since my friends dad is a machinist and loves making custom parts

I'm really suprised that Cobb or someone that fabs things all the time haven't made one yet. This is the worst part for me.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

For anyone interested, I'm selling my SCT LiveWire TS over here.

Info is in that thread if anyone wants it!

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a Focus ST with the ST3. I'll trade on my 370z and lease for a couple years while I wait for the new STi to come out.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Ringo Star Get posted:

If this sounds like what I think it is, I had to do a similar thing on my Mustang. Basically a spacer between the end washer/plate and the gas pedal on the cabin-side of the throttle cable. I rigged mine up with some hard plastic tubing and some zip ties. Took me all of 5 minutes and $.50 of materials. It probably raised the gas pedal up 1.5-2 inches.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Sepist posted:

If you own an ST, make sure you tell whoever services your car that you need to pull the metal ring up on the shifter to get into reverse, the guys I just used to get my windows tinted completely destroyed my reverse lock out clip.

Hasn't this been a fairly common thing with manuals for a while now? How the gently caress did a shop not get that?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Sir Tonk posted:

Hasn't this been a fairly common thing with manuals for a while now? How the gently caress did a shop not get that?

It has been on Fords since at least '99. My SVT Contour had one. Haven't driven a foreign manufacturer's car that uses the ring lockout yet though.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
The STI/BRZ has one.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
I think I'm the only Australian here looking to buy the Fiesta ST and thus the only one that cares; but Ford Australia are currently investigating the potential of bring the Mountune packages to the Focus and Fiesta ST :black101:

And now that Opel have pulled the plug, the dealers are pretty desperate to shake off their stock. The local dealer contacted me the first working day after the announcement to say that they'd dropped 20% off the driveaway on the Astra and Corsa OPC. Can't wait to see how desperate they get :munch:

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

Money, Clothes, and Hoes;
All a Nigga Knows

Laranzu posted:

It has been on Fords since at least '99. My SVT Contour had one. Haven't driven a foreign manufacturer's car that uses the ring lockout yet though.

Saabs also used a ring lockout, at least the 80's-90's ones did. Lotus elise/exige does as well.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Volvo 240/260s got them in 1976, and then Volvo had them in the 200/300/700/900 series up until the introduction of the M90 gearbox in 1995.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Hyundai uses a ring lock out too. At least the '07 Accent I used to own did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

My first few cars also had one, 90's Ford and Mercury

New one has a push-down lockout

And have driven plenty where there was no lockout, but you had to manhandle it way over past 1st gear, but we're talking Porsche and Ferrari here.

Normal people would try looking for the lockout, not find it and try pushing down, then try maybe edging it into reverse ... failing that ask the customer

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 6, 2013