Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Alrighty, it’s today now. Let’s try to get at some of these questions.

Could it be related to the purge valve? Yes it could, but it’s not likely. The turbo would still spin and generate low boost if the valve would stick as opposed to no boost intermittently.

Your mechanic is right that you can’t really know much without getting back there (curse you ford for putting it on the firewall side), but the ECM has access to a series of valves that can bypass the turbo to allow your car to function like a naturally aspirated one. In fact, one of these valve solenoids might be the cause of your issue, but again, hard to diagnose without getting in there.

The engine will not starve itself of air if given the option, and since you’re only changing the intake air pressure to a lower, arguably safer pressure, there should be absolutely no adverse affects in driving without boost.

Keep driving it, note any problems or symptoms, save some cash. Do a little research in the meantime for folks that have pulled a code or have symptoms like yours, it may be something easier to access than the turbo itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
if you have to replace the turbo, i humbly suggest that you do a bigger or hybrid one. because if you gotta do it anyways might as well do it right.

https://pumaspeed.co.uk/car-Fiesta-ST180-Mk7_1_326.jsp

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
I have officially joined the club by picking up a 2019 Fiesta ST with 47k miles on the clock yesterday. Going from my 04 Impreza 2.5 TS to a turbo car with good handling made for an entertaining drive home. Since the car was in West Virginia we took a more scenic drive home to both enjoy the views plus getting to learn what the car could do.

The car in all its glory

Part of the fun drive home

Was enjoying the open road for a while when we started to come up on this jeep. They were going at a good pace so we were just enjoying the drive and the scenery. Apparently they didn't like that I was coming up on them and decided they wanted to try and pull away. Shockingly the gap didn't change very much and when we eventually pulled next to them when we reached the highway we exchanged some friendly waves and went our separate ways.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Backno posted:

Was enjoying the open road for a while when we started to come up on this jeep. They were going at a good pace so we were just enjoying the drive and the scenery. Apparently they didn't like that I was coming up on them and decided they wanted to try and pull away. Shockingly the gap didn't change very much and when we eventually pulled next to them when we reached the highway we exchanged some friendly waves and went our separate ways.

Congrats on the FiST but that Jeep deserved a thumbs down, not a friendly wave. Appalling lack of control/ability/awareness of limits there.

I find the thumbs down more effective than the middle finger, by the by. Confusing enough for them to actually think about what’s happening but not anger-inducing.

You’re going to find yourself shocked at the back road capability of the FiST. There’s a really nice twisty road I take very often by my house and it’s a 40mph limit but doing that speed feels like idling through a parking lot. I have to watch myself.

My normal time to make that drive in the FiST/S2000/Miata is like 11 minutes.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 11, 2024

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

2016 FiST.

I thought I was going insane, but now I have a theory.

Sometimes, it falters just a touch when I'm accelerating through third. Nice straight dry roads, just a little hiccup or two around 4-5kRPM despite smooth pressure on the throttle.

Does the dash light always come on when the traction control activates? I'm thinking that might be the thing. I took it out tonight when there was nobody on the roads and gave it the beans a few times- I got the faltering to happen twice, and the second time I'm sure I heard a little blow-off (I have a BOV installed) when it faltered, even though the traction control light did not come on. I'm thinking the traction control activated a bit and just didn't tell me. I know the light works so it's not that.

Car working as intended and I'm just being a sensitive princess, or something to keep an eye on?

eta: I am absolutely the princess and the pea with this car so feel free to tell me to calm down. I about started a riot at the shop when I got a brake job done and they used lovely parts so my brakes went from "good for the track" to "fine for around town". If I hit a bump too hard I say ouch and pet the dash to comfort it. I probably need to calm down.

Wroughtirony fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 12, 2024

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Yeah, just turn traction control down by going into sport mode.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Yeah, just turn traction control down by going into sport mode.

Don't have a "sport mode" but I can turn trac control off. I'll try that when it stops raining next month.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

You do, actually. Just hit ESC OFF for less than three seconds.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

You do, actually. Just hit ESC OFF for less than three seconds.

No way- I did not know that. Egg on my face, I guess! Will that take it from nanny mode to okay-just-don't-spin-all-the-way-out mode? I thought it was a straight on/off situation

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

You have to hold it to turn traction off all the way. It will allow more slip in sport mode, but that’s about it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
FiST gets slidier and more tail-happy in sport mode, good for spirited road driving or curvy on/off ramps

turning TC “all the way off” dials the nannies way down but AFAIK it doesn’t actually fully disable them. IIRC there’s no way to actually do that without getting into the car’s software with equipment, something which might matter to you if you plan on taking the car onto a track

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’m pretty sure you turn it off completely. It’s not expensive enough for them to keep something on when you go out of your way to turn off the safety stuff.

Ive never heard/read that any of the traction stuff stays on after a full shutoff

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I’m pretty sure you turn it off completely. It’s not expensive enough for them to keep something on when you go out of your way to turn off the safety stuff.

Ive never heard/read that any of the traction stuff stays on after a full shutoff

I remember seeing it in a bunch of model/brand-specific forums when I bought mine in 2021

AFAIK it’s pretty common for a lot of production cars, not even particularly expensive ones.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

You’d think after laying down single wheel peels into third it woulda kicked on, but maybe there’s a sensor that didn’t trip. I dunno, it seemed like the whole thing turned off.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

You’d think after laying down single wheel peels into third it woulda kicked on, but maybe there’s a sensor that didn’t trip. I dunno, it seemed like the whole thing turned off.

https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/disabling-traction-control-completely.4822/

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Yeah, it’s reading more than just slip there; also steering input. Good to know.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
The internet is definitely mad about it having an AMG badge but it's nice to have a 305hp AWD car that I can fit a 12 foot skeleton in.

After a month or so of being shocked at market prices for 2-3 year old Golf R's in Canada I decided to spend less on this gently depreciated A35 hatch, so far really enjoying it. Now I just wait for the head to blow up.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

That’s more AMG than the dumb E53 or the stupid 4 banger new 63 imo

Cool rear end car

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
im only mad i cant get one

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

im only mad i cant get one

A few American friends have expressed a similar sentiment. Sad that even up here the hatch is dead as of MY 2022 and we won't get the facelift.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
cant get any of ze german hatches :/

closest i can get is the 35 sedan and thats ehhh... very sedan

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
the FiST is technically Belgian :shrug:

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Backno posted:

I'm sure most people here don't need this warning but do not be like this Jeep who is currently fully in the oncoming lane crossing a double yellow in a blind corner, this is how people die in the canyons

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Just avoided a collision earlier thanks to the FoST maneuverability. Went to go drop something off at my wife’s workplace, so I was making a protected left turn onto a divided 2-lane each way high traffic road. Town cop pulls up behind me.

I make the left turn into the left lane as one should, then signal and move over into the right lane. As soon as I do, an idiot fixated on the right lane only and further down pulls out right in front of me from the car wash.

Reaction took over and I whipped it back into the left lane and avoided the truck by about 2-3ft. Didn’t even have any tire squeal, just control the entire way.

Got a good eyeful of the dude from my right side window. I pulled into my wife’s workplace immediately after, so I didn’t see if the guy got a talking to.

I would have been so very, very pissed, it took a while and I got lucky finding my single owner unmodified ST.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
Baby's first gross drive into work. The AWD isn't quite as fun and "steer with your right foot" as the torsen based one in my A4 was but it's still very fun. The weather this morning definitely validated my passing on getting a new GTI in favour of this.

Side note: Anyone here who lives somewhere where actual snow happens enough to warrant dedicated winter tires, this is my second set of Kumho Wintercraft WP72's and I can't recommend them enough. So cheap, so predictable in the snow and come in all sorts of weird sizes. I put around 30k km on the set I had on the A4 and they still looked new.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DoesNotCompute posted:

The internet is definitely mad about it having an AMG badge but it's nice to have a 305hp AWD car that I can fit a 12 foot skeleton in.

After a month or so of being shocked at market prices for 2-3 year old Golf R's in Canada I decided to spend less on this gently depreciated A35 hatch, so far really enjoying it. Now I just wait for the head to blow up.

There's a Benz I'd actually consider!

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Last weekend I corrected an oversight on the part of Mini's engineering department; to wit, they neglected to put any tie downs in the trunk area. I am a firm believer that every vehicle in my household must pull its own weight and a staunch believer in cargo staying in the cargo area so I took it into my own hands to correct Mini's failing. First I researched OEM cargo tie-downs, found a part number which of course cross-references with a bunch of BMW models so I was able to source a set of four used ones for less than I would have paid for a pair of new ones from the dealer.

Then I commenced drilling:

I used two existing holes in the chassis crossbar, but needed to enlarge them to fit an M6 rivet nut. Also I drilled two additional holes for the locator pins on the back of the tie-down loops.

Et voila!

And a gratuitous 'If it fits I sits' pic:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I love that stupid thing

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
crazy good wheels

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Let's talk diagnosis! I have a few ideas here but I want to spot check before I start throwing parts at the problem.

Car: 2016 VW Mk7 Golf R
Symptoms: CEL, engine code P2188, "System too Rich off idle Bank 1". Often doesn't like to start, makes cranking noise for several seconds before finally catching. Will get a video if I can but it's intermittent. Start issue has been present for a while, but haven't been able to diagnose easily without lights/codes.

Theory: Plugs? Air Filter? If I'm running rich I have to be deficient in air or fire. High Pressure Fuel Pump? Easy replacement, but not a cheap part.

Things tried: Scanned codes, cleared codes, CEL came back. WIll check air filter when I go back outside. Waiting on correct tools to check plugs.

Thoughts?

Edit: air filter is fine, easy check.

Edit edit: This shouldn't present an unsafe or too non-ideal driving situation, right? My partner's car is also in the shop so i'm stuck until i get some headway on this.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 19, 2024

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
air flow sensor?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

air flow sensor?

Interesting idea. I cleared all the codes and I'm gonna pull them again to see which ones have re-occured.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
pull the sensor and see if any codes pop that anre new
if not thats your boy.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

pull the sensor and see if any codes pop that anre new
if not thats your boy.

:hmmyes: Good call. Easy pop, too. If i'm googling right.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
had an issue with CEL on the fist when i swapped intakes. i didnt torque it down hard enough. may not be your issue but its an easy check.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

had an issue with CEL on the fist when i swapped intakes. i didnt torque it down hard enough. may not be your issue but its an easy check.

I've not done any work of that nature, but your point is taken and I'll give it a look.

Edit: Cleared the codes once more trying to do the above diagnose on the airflow, and of course it fires right up and the CEL is gone. all i did was the airflow plug so you may have the right of it. Will keep at it if it comes back, but for now i guess i'll take it for a proper test drive.

I swear this car only acts up when no one is around to see it

Deviant fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 19, 2024

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Yeah, like a card trick you’re trying to show your parents

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

I call that Technician Proximity Disorder.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
hope its something dumb like cleaning off the sensor or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I have been having a strange issue for my 2016 VW GTI, about 80k miles.

After a bit of testing, it only seems to happen between 2-3k RPM in 4th through 6th gear and at full throttle. Acceleration stutters and feels like it can't get enough fuel, but it doesn't turn on a CEL. The rest of the time it's 100% fine. I ordered new spark plugs and need to toss them in, but I'm not sure if it's just bad gas that needs to be run out of the tank, plugs that need to be replaced, a fuel pump or filter? I'm not sure. It doesn't happen 100% of the time either and rarely in the same manner. Some stutters are harder than others.