Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

You can definitely reuse the one mounting the rotor, a lot of cars don’t even have those. For the caliper bracket bolts I’ll reuse em if I have to and swap em if the kit I got comes with em. You’ll be fine.

Yeah, no concern on the rotor, luckily the TTY bolts in the back don't have to come out. Sounds good, thanks.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Apparently this is the Golf GTI thread, so: I’m considering more make options for a car upgrade, and the Golf GTI came up at some point. There’s a used 2018 GTI in my area, and I may consider it. The price is reasonable at about $22.5k (almost $10k cheaper than new), with about 59k miles on it. This one is manual, but I can learn. Can’t tell what trim it is.

Worth taking a look? What problems did the 2018s have and what should I look out for? I did notice that other GTIs around that time tend to go for more like $20.5~21k, through maybe that’s optimistic.

EDIT: This one is $18k, 2017 GTI Autobahn, 51.5k miles. Even cheaper. What’s the catch?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 23, 2024

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Pollyanna posted:

Apparently this is the Golf GTI thread, so: I’m considering more make options for a car upgrade, and the Golf GTI came up at some point. There’s a used 2018 GTI in my area, and I may consider it. The price is reasonable at about $22.5k (almost $10k cheaper than new), with about 59k miles on it. This one is manual, but I can learn. Can’t tell what trim it is.

Worth taking a look? What problems did the 2018s have and what should I look out for? I did notice that other GTIs around that time tend to go for more like $20.5~21k, through maybe that’s optimistic.

EDIT: This one is $18k, 2017 GTI Autobahn, 51.5k miles. Even cheaper. What’s the catch?

I did some checking for 2017-2018 GTIs in the Boston area, and the first one seems to be about average price for that model year and amount of mileage. It might be worth checking out, but the dealer only has stock photos and not pictures of the actual car, so I'd be wary. Regardless if you do check it out, get a pre-purchase inspection.

As for the second one, if you scroll down in the listing you'll see the reason why it's so cheap is because it's been in 2 accidents. I would stay away.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Pollyanna posted:

It was probably me, and $22.5k for a 2018 car seems stupid expensive to me. Thats practically what they were going for in 2021 when I was hatchback shopping and they were arguably overpriced then. Keep in mind that car prices have gone up in general, which will absolutely affect used car prices, but also that 2018 MSRP’d new for like $27k, and a ~$5k haircut on a six year old used car isn’t a good deal by any reasonable metric.

I would get one with the limited slip diff and the extra engine boost, it was part of an options/trim package in the first version of that generation (I think 2015-2017), where the package was called the “Sport Package” or GTI Sport, and then I think they became standard on either the 2018 or 2019 models going forward.

Your other big option is leather or plaid. The leather(ette) is nice and all, easy to clean, can get hot/cold with the weather, but the plaid is plaid and iconic to the GTI (not that it matters, get what you want). The Fender-branded (yes, that Fender. Idk either) stereo is nice too.

Also I’d be wary of the super low profile wheels, I think they’re 19”, and they came as options on various upgrade packages or as an extra touch that buyers could order from VW. They look sick as hell, but I took a 2017 DSG Sport model on a test drive back in 2021 and blew out one of the tires going over a manhole cover. Worst case Ontario, it’s hella easy to get 18s or 17s, and you have a gorillion options as to whether you want third party tuner wheels or VW wheels that look 100% stock or whatever. In any case it’s nice having an extra, usually smaller, set of rims on hand to throw your winter tires on so that you aren’t having to get them taken on/off the rims every year.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 23, 2024

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Fair point on that second one. I can try avoiding vehicles with a history of accidents.

trilobite terror posted:

It was probably me, and $22.5k for a 2018 car seems stupid expensive to me. Thats practically what they were going for in 2021 when I was hatchback shopping and they were arguably overpriced then. Keep in mind that car prices have gone up in general, which will absolutely affect used car prices, but also that 2018 MSRP’d new for like $27k, and a ~$5k haircut on a six year old used car isn’t a good deal by any reasonable metric.

Yeah, that makes sense. For $22.5k I wouldn’t have to go up by much more to just get a completely new car without the headache of buying used.

What is a fair price for hatchbacks these days, anyway?

quote:

I would get one with the limited slip diff and the extra engine boost, it was part of an options/trim package in the first version of that generation (I think 2015-2017), where the package was called the “Sport Package” or GTI Sport, and then I think they became standard on either the 2018 or 2019 models going forward.

Not having a lot of success finding those at a good price nearby, sadly. I’ll have to keep an eye out.

Noted re: wheels and seats!

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

What is a fair price for hatchbacks these days, anyway?

That's pretty difficult to answer because you're talking about an entire segment of cars. It's better to ask in terms of brand, performance level, luxury level, or a specific car.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeahhhh I figured. I guess I’m asking more about what heuristics people use to gauge whether a given car is reasonably priced or not.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I was recently offered 27k for my manual 2019 GTI w/ PP and 15k miles. Was tempted for a min, but realized there is nothing in that price range that could replace it.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Pollyanna posted:

That 2018 says it is an SE, but the photos they use are stock photos with the DSG, so who knows what trim it actually is. If it has the leather and the larger stereo I am pretty sure it would be an SE and have the LSD. If not, it is an S with no LSD. The next year 2019, all trims have LSD. Also I think on that 2018, the SE would probably also have LED headlights, but I am not sure, the 2019 does.

I think my 2019 trim with the experience package and the autobahn are the only ones that offered DCC suspension but I am not sure on that.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 23, 2024

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
polly I change my mind, just get the type r or the type s

it’s the car you actually want

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

the golf r is an excellent vehicle despite the mk8 infotainment being a little duplo-block.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

trilobite terror posted:

Ehhhh lemme get good at manual and have a garage first.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

Ehhhh lemme get good at manual and have a garage first.

the golf r is superior in automatic. the manual clutch has some issues, and the DSG has a dual clutch/gearbox design.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Rusty posted:

That 2018 says it is an SE, but the photos they use are stock photos with the DSG, so who knows what trim it actually is. If it has the leather and the larger stereo I am pretty sure it would be an SE and have the LSD. If not, it is an S with no LSD. The next year 2019, all trims have LSD. Also I think on that 2018, the SE would probably also have LED headlights, but I am not sure, the 2019 does.

I think my 2019 trim with the experience package and the autobahn are the only ones that offered DCC suspension but I am not sure on that.

Yeah no real photos bugs me a bit.

There is this one 2017 GTI with PP. 80k miles, but has real photos and is 4k cheaper with a single owner. Might be a more reasonable option?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah no real photos bugs me a bit.

There is this one 2017 GTI with PP. 80k miles, but has real photos and is 4k cheaper with a single owner. Might be a more reasonable option?
The 2017 seems fine, I am just kind of surprised the prices. 80k miles for 17k seems like a lot for a 7 year old GTI, but I guess the market is still a bit nuts. really makes me want to sell mine.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

trilobite terror posted:

As someone who has and loves his Type-R to bits, you buy a Type-R because you want a motherfucking Civic Type-R. Not when you're looking for a good deal on a general car upgrade.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I bought my 2016 GTI SE with the PP in 2019? I think. I had to snap it up quick, because they were going fast even then. I'm up to 82k mi and it's been good so far.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
yeah i still dally with the idea of a golf r because im supposed to be a grown up. but they also took off purple as a color so...

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Maybe I’ll go check out those GTIs. Good way to learn stick at least :v:

Neo_Crimson posted:

As someone who has and loves his Type-R to bits, you buy a Type-R because you want a motherfucking Civic Type-R. Not when you're looking for a good deal on a general car upgrade.

Yeah basically. I have zero reason to get a Type R and have only know about it for like a week and I still want one cuz cmon. Type R. But this and that are two different things!!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
yes, one is a Volkswagen Golf and the other is a Honda Civic

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

What’s your price range, space requirements, infotainment requirements, reliability requirements, and finally, experience with torque steer? Those would help us point you in the right direction.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

What’s your price range, space requirements, infotainment requirements, reliability requirements, and finally, experience with torque steer? Those would help us point you in the right direction.

- This would be competing against just making it easy and getting a new 2024 Civic ST
- See above
- gently caress off with this infotainment poo poo just let me plug my phone in and blast a podcast or two
- :hmmyes: I know those words and most certainly did not look it up on Wikipedia just now (never really had to worry about it)

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Is the Civic ST the Sport Touring?

Given what you’ve said, you don’t need a Golf R, a Civic Type R, or a GR Corolla. A Golf GTI is the top end of power that I’d recommend here. Realistically I think a Civic Si is the sweet spot here.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Given what you’ve said, you don’t need a Golf R, a Civic Type R, or a GR Corolla. A Golf GTI is the top end of power that I’d recommend here. Realistically I think a Civic Si is the sweet spot here.

Gti with a tune are no joke

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Yeah, but OP probably won’t pursue the tune route. Hell, most people probably won’t go down that rabbit hole (pun!). Without someone specifically talking about tune and modding potential, I tend to not bring it up when comparing/recommending cars.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

At least test drive the Si to get an idea about what the Civic R and Integra S will be like.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, I guess I should probably clarify. It doesn’t have to be hot, but it does have to be hatch. That said, if an opportunity to get a good and well-liked one that’s also reliable and durable comes up, I’ll certainly take it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Midjack posted:

At least test drive the Si to get an idea about what the Civic R and Integra S will be like.

Polly doesn’t know how to drive stick yet. She needs a car that she can learn on and mistreat the clutch on for a bit, so in all seriousness a $40-60k sports car probably ain’t it.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Sounds like a Focus ST is right up your alley. Hatch, hot, manual with a very forgiving clutch. I learned to drive manual with mine 8 years ago.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
yeah I was hesitating to recommend a FiST or FoST because they and their parts are much rarer than, say, a Civic or GTI, they’re less reliable and built to a lower standard in my personal opinion, and also my FiST has a really harsh stock suspension and low profile wheels and I used to drive it regularly in the exact area where Polly lives and I hated it and was constantly on edge about damaging the car or its wheels, which I did multiple times.

In stock form it’s lowered enough/the front lip is long enough that you quickly learn how to judge things like parking lot entrances/exits and approach them at an angle and whatnot and it’s just an additional pain in the rear end for somebody who is already new to driving stick. Also many of them aren’t stock anymore and looking out for those modifications and learning how to judge and inspect them is another thing which I wouldn’t hold a total car noob to do.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Too bad you're up in Mass, I'd let you drive mine. Stock suspension and ride height because my broke rear end can't afford quality coilovers right now. It doesn't feel quite as stiff as the FiST but it's not a couch either.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I've had my Speed3 for a month now. It's hard to put my finger on what exactly it is, but I love this car. I think it's because it's so raw. It's fun to be excited about driving a car again.

I'm really glad I got one before they're all in junkyards.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’d say you probably want the Corolla hatch. 2.0 NA engine with pretty decent power and torque, Toyota reliability and a good suspension. The only real downside is a lack of transmission options, but that’s kinda true for everything nowadays.

A base model Corolla hatch is pushing 168 hp w/ CVT vs the Civic Sport Hatch’s 158 hp w/ 6MT (or CVT), but it also costs $3k less. The Civic Si isn’t available in hatchback, unfortunately.

e: I guess there’s also the civic Sport Touring hatch with 180hp, but that’s $8k more than the base Corolla and $5k more than the top trim Corolla.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m ehhhhh on the Corolla. One of the reasons I want a hatchback is more cargo space, and the Corolla has like only 3cf more than my 2011 Civic’s trunk which is kinda sad IMO.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
im a fist guy and i was tempted by the GR for sure.

trilobite terror posted:

yeah I was hesitating to recommend a FiST or FoST because they and their parts are much rarer than, say, a Civic or GTI, they’re less reliable and built to a lower standard in my personal opinion, and also my FiST has a really harsh stock suspension and low profile wheels and I used to drive it regularly in the exact area where Polly lives and I hated it and was constantly on edge about damaging the car or its wheels, which I did multiple times.

In stock form it’s lowered enough/the front lip is long enough that you quickly learn how to judge things like parking lot entrances/exits and approach them at an angle and whatnot and it’s just an additional pain in the rear end for somebody who is already new to driving stick. Also many of them aren’t stock anymore and looking out for those modifications and learning how to judge and inspect them is another thing which I wouldn’t hold a total car noob to do.

on my poo poo roads i downsized the rim for more sidewall and that helped a ton.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

trilobite terror posted:

Polly doesn’t know how to drive stick yet. She needs a car that she can learn on and mistreat the clutch on for a bit, so in all seriousness a $40-60k sports car probably ain’t it.

Fair, though I will note that Honda's rev match is really helpful in that regard. The later points about huge rear end rims on lovely roads are 100% valid though, I busted up the OEM dubs on the Civic R on the poorly maintained DC beltway and just destroyed an aftermarket 18 on a different stretch of that highway.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I love my FiST. Going down to a 16” wheel is a pro move and makes the car ride better and handle no worse. I’ve had mine for 20k miles of questionable PA roads and I shudder to think of what I’ll have to replace it years down the line.

The only “problem” I’ve had with mine is the blend door motors but that was $40 and 60 minutes to fix. I’ve also put a set of plus in it at 105k miles but despite the factory service interval being 100k, they still looked more than serviceable.

The interior is fine, build quality is better than the economy car roots would have you believe, and it’s always a riot to drive hard. I can haul a fair amount of poo poo for work, especially with the seats down.

Big vote for a FiST, especially the last few years where you got backup cam and Sync3.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Pollyanna posted:

I’m ehhhhh on the Corolla. One of the reasons I want a hatchback is more cargo space, and the Corolla has like only 3cf more than my 2011 Civic’s trunk which is kinda sad IMO.

Ahhh, I see. Mazda 3 is your answer for both comfort, space and aesthetics. 191 hp at the base trim and still $6k less than a 180 hp civic sport touring. If you wanted to you could even get AWD for less than the civic. The turbo versions are a bit more expensive but jump up to 250hp.

It’s 2 cubes less than the Honda, but I would personally rather drive the 3.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I think the GTI is still your best choice here. The only thing I would say about used GTIs is that a lot of the used ones will probably already be tuned to stage 1 and you won't know it. But if you can find one with the LSD, which is going to be the SE in 2018, all trims in 2019 and I think the Power package or whatever in 2017.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I’d say you probably want the Corolla hatch. 2.0 NA engine with pretty decent power and torque, Toyota reliability and a good suspension. The only real downside is a lack of transmission options, but that’s kinda true for everything nowadays.

A base model Corolla hatch is pushing 168 hp w/ CVT vs the Civic Sport Hatch’s 158 hp w/ 6MT (or CVT), but it also costs $3k less. The Civic Si isn’t available in hatchback, unfortunately.

e: I guess there’s also the civic Sport Touring hatch with 180hp, but that’s $8k more than the base Corolla and $5k more than the top trim Corolla.

they want a manual transmission tho, why would they want a CVT? They could just keep their 2013 automatic Civic in that case. It’s in really good shape and has like ~35k miles on it