Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

prom candy posted:

Still FWD, pack it in Hondailures

Better than being another AWD terminal understeer car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Sipher posted:

Posted this in the track day thread too, but took my RS to the track for my first HPDE event last month. Had a blast, already signed up for another next month. Picked up some 18" wheels this weekend and ordered some pilot sport 4s as dedicated track tires. I just ran the 500 treadwear Goodyear Eagle F1 all-seasons that were on the car when I bought it. They weren't awful but I'm looking forward to having some legit rubber next time.

PS4s aren't going to take the heat that well, you might want to run a Hankook RS4 next.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeah, they did the Type-R right this time. I just can't get over the MK7 Jetta looking front end that the entire generation of Civic shares.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The bottom of the wing has some interesting stuff going on.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 21, 2022

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'd be prying on bushings / balljoints in the front end looking for play.

I put EPAS into a NB Miata and I have a fully adjustable EPAS controller in my BRZ, I've never felt a pulsing through the wheel from an issue but I will say that these units usually have diagnostics that can be accessed over CAN with a tool. I'd try seeing if you can find someone with one and try calibrating the torque/angle/etc sensors on the EPAS.

The usual issue I have with EPAS is that they will get overloaded and drop assist mid corner with enough tire / grip.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The first one to look at is the big compliance bushing at the front of the LCA. Does the steering wheel do anything weird like move under heavy braking in a straight line or the car pull into the dips in the road?

There are also the two big balljoints at the connection points between the LCA and knuckle and UCA and knuckle. Just jack a front corner up at a time and do the 3-9 and 12-6 tests (hold wheel at 3 and 9 o clock, try to move back and forth, same for 12 and 6).

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The people buying it to impress instagram followers

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeah, those Omorens are hit and miss. The S660 I rented was super clean, had some Yoko sticky tires, and a few mods - awesome. The purple R33 GTR they have though.... boost cut, didn't drive straight, lovely tires, lost a fender liner on the highway, etc.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I towed a HF trailer with one or two motorcycles for a few thousand miles when I had my 2016 GTI. No issues at all, I used the Curt setup.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
If you look at the amount of DSG clutch surface area compared to a manual it'll be pretty clear why they last a long time and can hold a bunch of power in comparison, it isn't just because the computer is controlling it.

They're a multiplate wet clutch in a similar setup to a motorcycle.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Hasport is like two miles from where I live, super cool dudes and easy to talk to.

Also really willing to help with whatever hairbrain project you're cooking up involving a Honda motor, they made mounts to put a K20C with CTR transmission into a local NSX track car and are doing the mounts to put a K20C with CTR transmission into my friend's Exige track car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That'll make the internet mad