Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The PP is worth it for the LSD. I don't have it and make around 300whp... lol traction. No. I basically abuse the poo poo out of the traction control anytime I look at the throttle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

joe944 posted:

Get the DSG. The clutch on the manual is weak. Haven't really heard of any common problems though.

The clutch is more an issue with the clutch delay valve. It prevents the clutch from re-engaging quickly enough that people get back on the power before the clutch is fully engaged so it's slip... plus more slip... which leads to more slip. Once you remove the delay valve all is fine. GTI is the same way. Removing the restrictor is 30 minutes all said and done going into it blind and is free / the price of brake fluid.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
buy a dsg, it shifts faster. lap times will easily reflect this, also there are no missed shifts that could cause you to lose. honestly, people slow cars down these days

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

You sure about that? Because my 2016 GTI definitely does not have hill hold assist.
Mine does, I think the clutch has to be in for it to engage?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Cost

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

fknlo posted:

Oh Volkswagen :allears:

I guess I shouldn't really be surprised, but I kind of am.

What budget built turbo cars are running all aluminum blocks from the factory...?

I mean, there are people making over 500whp on these things without opening the motor.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 13, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Fuckin thing has no traction with 300whp, I can't imagine another 200 ontop. :lol:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The EcoBoost 20 and 23 are all-aluminum.

They both have cast iron cylinder liners. The 2.7 has CGI (iron) in the cylinder area.

wolrah posted:

AFAIK all of the 4 banger Ecoboosts are all aluminum, as are the 3.0 and 3.5 V6s. The 3 cylinder and the 2.7 V6 are iron block

The 3.0 has cast iron liners, the 3.5 has steel liners.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 13, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

By that definition, what is actually all aluminum that's sold today?

Hmm, VR38DETT, for one. Which is why I said all aluminum block turbo cars don't exist at budget prices.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I just replaced the magnesium case covers on my trackbike. I can't imagine having those somewhere on a car.... so brittle.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It seems like you're obfuscating a bit when the comment was a cast iron block (not normal, old school) vs aluminum block (sleeved or lined however you please) - those things aren't remotely the same.

The EJ series I think is Alusil lined.

Fair enough :)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Installed a Curt hitch on my 2016 GTI today so that I can tow my Tuono and R6 to trackdays instead of keeping around my Ram 1500.
drat thing sits 7.5" off the ground, guess that means I'm not lowering it from stock anymore. :lol:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 4, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Installed my plates just now on my '16 GTI. I used a US Millworks front tow hook adapter and when I got to the rear, the dealer installed method is...wood screws directly into the bumper??? Seriously, VW? They didn't even get them loving level! And I don't even feel like they're secured that well because it felt like I was about to strip them and I didn't want that to happen.

Albeit extremely minor, this is the first thing I've encountered on the car that has really dissatisfied me. Otherwise, it's been a pretty nice little car for the first 2500 miles.

Yep, the bumpers don't come drilled from the factory. I drilled holes in my bumper cover, inserted plastic threaded grommets, and then bolted into those.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

The Locator posted:

I pay right at $100/mo for insurance for the Focus ST (2014). My commute is huge, so I'm not able to use a low mileage thing, and I carry 250k/500k limits with full glass, and rental coverage. Insurance here in the Phoenix area seems to run high in general, my base model Fiesta was almost $70/mo with similar coverage. That's also with multi-policy discount since I have homeowners with them, but not multi-car since I'm actually down to one car!

I'm paying $120/mo in a 2016 GTI for the same coverage in the same city. Multi policy, full coverage on an 2007 Aprilia Tuono 1000 is $45/mo additional.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Christobevii3 posted:

Do you live somewhere north? I only have a poo poo house and a car so i wouldn't have much assets at risk. Also, not many high end cars and totaling one would take me doing something really dumb. I might move up a little but a dash cam and a little more insurance should cover since how southern laws are in such situations.

Scottsdale has money.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've got 20k on my GTI with a JB1 and DP, including pulling a trailer with a motorcycle on it. I really think the keys to making the clutch last are removing the clutch delay valve, removing the clutch pedal spring, and not getting into the power until the clutch is fully out on the 1-2 shift. These cars don't like being manhandled in first, don't do it. The first and third things I listed are very, very important, if you don't both of them you will lose the stock clutch in a couple thousand miles.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 22, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
DP + JB1 tunebox makes the same-ish power as a stage 1 tune and otherwise stock. Stage 2 tune and DP is much more.

I like the GTI, I just towed two motorcycles 2200mi, including a lot of elevation change. 26MPG average.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Curt class 1.

I recommend spending money on a hitch that clears the exhaust better and maybe sits tighter against the bottom of the car because the $140 Curt I have required me to bend the exhaust tips slightly outward (not noticeably so) to prevent them from rattling on the hitch during hard shifts and the car sits low enough at stock height that you need a ~6" rise ball mount to get a 17" trailer dead level. I'm running a ~5" rise ball mount now and it's more than fine but for being ~~ideal~~ it's a tiny bit short.

It handled beautifully, and if anything I was worried about killing the stock clutch lugging the car up the mountain passes in 6th in Nevada and NorCal since it's making a fair amount of power over stock. Not an issue. Nor was stop and go traffic.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 5, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

That's the route I would go if I did it over again and didn't mind cutting the bumper.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I owned a 2002 Mini-S back in the day. The GTI feels like a grown up version of it, including quality wise.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

100% Dundee posted:

Do some of the higher specced ones have a different interior by any chance?
GTI gets leather in the higher spec. gently caress that, cloth any day for me.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Remove the clutch pedal spring and clutch delay valve, you will be much happier and the clutch will last longer.

Also, snow catcher out of the bottom of the intake box. Get a OBD Eleven and turn off the 'vibration dampening'. (read: torque limiting in lower gears)

The Sport makes me regret my year and a half old 2016 4dr S.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

blk posted:

How many of you would own a GTI past the end of warranty?

I'm pretty sure my MK7 would be solid outside of warranty... in fact I voided the warranty with under 1000mi on the car. Here we are 22k miles later without issue.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Oh man, I put the JB1 on at under 1000mi. Do a downpipe at the same time, you're picking up like 60-70whp. It's stupid seeing traction control flashing in 3rd gear when the weather is cool.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The Z4M isn't really in demand yet for some reason. I owned one of the Imola/Extended Black cars (1/38) and it took longer than I expected while selling it off as a single owner (per the title) car. My friend owns one of the Imola/Imola cars (1/37) and he got an insane deal from a dealer that couldn't move it. I'm not really sure what's going on there. To be fair, the E36 M3 has really just started climbing the past year or so, though I think that will stagnate when the euro cars are eligible for importation.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 21, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Unless we're talking aircooled porsches.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm selling off the stuff that used to be on my '16 GTI.
JB1 with Data Cable - $300 shipped
Circuit Werks Catted DP - $275 shipped
034 Motorsports Dogbone Insert v1 - $20 shipped

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Oh, man, wait until you do a DP + JB4/Tune. Your S2000 is going to feel broken :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The joys of dealing with dealerships.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Eh, gently caress it, if anything it's convenience when you get the new car itch in a couple years.

I owe 19k on my '16, KBB PP is ~18.5k / KBB Trade-in is ~15.5k. I've got dealers crawling up my rear end who want to go no higher than 16k so I have to deal with random people to get what I want out of it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Forreal. A JB1 with a downpipe turns this thing around.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

JollyPubJerk posted:

speaking of which, what on earth kind of rims/tires do I put on a GTI now that the tune makes the thing want to slip on every start with barely tapping the gas?

You're hosed. Don't bother with this thing in first, short shift into second.

edit: To your edit, the big difference is in the elbow coming off the turbo.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Ah, sorry, mine is a 6MT.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

fknlo posted:

The finance dude at the dealership reaffirmed yesterday that it should be in the neighborhood of $21k at that point. I'll find out for sure once I get the info to set up my VW Credit account for payments.

Anyone else get mad wheel hop in their GTI? It was damp and slick yesterday and I'm being pretty drat gentle since the car has 100 miles and the wheel hop I was getting was pretty bad. I don't know if it was just the particular conditions or what, but it was bad.

Get a 034 Motorsports dogbone insert. If you have a version 1 car then I have one for $20 shipped.

Also, stop getting on it in first. You need to shortshift this car to 2nd.
https://store.034motorsport.com/mqb-dogbone-mount-insert-mkvii-volkswagen-golf-gti-r-8v-audi-a3-s3-billet-aluminum.html

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The issue with the Fit was probably the tires on it more than anything.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Let me save you a lot of grief. Catted or non-catted downpipe (your call) with the stock exhaust and maybe a resonator welded into the stock exhaust.

You get the burbles, pops, and bangs, it's quite a bit louder than stock but not unbearable, and you get the power / spool benefits. Going full exhaust turns it into a loud piece of poo poo and gains basically no power over just a downpipe.

You can increase turbo noise by removing the weatherstrip at the top of the hood, cutting out the blockoff in the intake scoops on the LHS, and filling in the turbo muffler holes. All of the intakes lose power except like the Injen EVO3000.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 10, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Radiohead71 posted:

I would like to hear more on your impressions of the car. I was going to look at/maybe buy an R this week, but one side of me wants to get a GTI Sport and be done with it. The extra $14-16k for an R is really hard for me to justify. I've driven both and I liked the GTI but I loved the R. I like the Nogaro wheels on the Sport much better than the Austins on the other trim levels. Did you cross shop any other brands or GTI trim levels besides the Sport?

The GTI is a good handling FWD with enough power, the Golf-R is what happens when someone is like let's add some power and AWD because we can. It doesn't handle any better than the GTI and the power difference isn't that much, especially once you see that the IS38 is literally an in place upgrade on the GTI (and it is sold outside the US as such).

I paid mine off last night and will be signing the title over to the new owner once it arrives.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 14, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

fknlo posted:

Spending another 1.5 JB1's on one of my stupid cats again today :argh:

If I ever get the bigger turbo itch I can apparently go straight to the IS38 off the Golf R with ease. Don't know if I'd ever do that, but it's an option.

Yup. IS38 + DP + Tune will put you north of 350whp.
Read: >350whp GTI for $1.2k turbo, $800 tune, and $400 downpipe

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 16, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

100% Dundee posted:

Aren't the crackles and pops just them dumping fuel into the cylinders after you let off the throttle? I really enjoy those noises on big engines, but for some reason they just sound cheap, like something is broken almost, on our small 4 cylinders.

There is more to it than that, what you hear on a lot of modern cars is timing retard on overrun. What you hear on older / race cars is fueling still on during overrun.

Anyone have any info about lowering a '16 GTI with DCC? BlackMK4 you seem to know a lot about the mods on these, any ideas? If not, any solid advice on places to check.

A couple months ago when I was looking people were swapping to a VW OEM spring meant for another application, but weren't sure about warranty/mechanical problems. Looking into a mild drop and some new wheels.

Sorry man, I don't know anything about the DCC stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
This is the part where I try not to be spergy because DCC doesn't change the valving, it adjusts a needle in a single valve stack that affects compression and rebound. It's kind of a weird system to me, but I come from the motorcycle end of things where you have separate valves, shim stacks, and needles for compression and rebound.
http://www.my-gti.com/2653/volkswagen-dcc-adaptive-chassis-control-design-and-function

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 21, 2016