Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I'm curious if that dual exhaust splitter combo will work on an ST. That'd be sexy as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Almost 32 and I own a black FoST. The guys at the dealer said I was the oldest to buy one and since getting it, have gotten zero tickets (knock on wood). I think it helps that from afar it looks like a regular Focus hatch. In the front, since its all black, it's difficult to see the nose styling as well. That and I drive like a nerd on the roads because I'm not too keen on getting a ticket.

However I'm taking a road trip up to Galena this year because of the Jalopnik article: http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/the-best-driving-road-ever-in-illinois-1651802709

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Umm the ST has a wonderful turning radius if you use the handbrake.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Driving instructor here:

Don't do car length gaps, use the second count (around 3-5 seconds in ideal conditions). It does space out traffic but it keeps everyone moving and gives you time to react especially if you have a tailgater.

Even if a car merges in front of you it's enough time to react and correct too.

Ok driving instructor mode off.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

SFH1989 posted:

I feel the same way plus you can't heel toe the FoST for poo poo. The one I drove was a '13 did they fix the pedal placement in later models? Both great little cars though, I wouldn't say either are a bad choice.

According to others the pedal placement is still the same on later models. GarageLine sells spacers that you can put the gas pedal even with the brake or a little below. I'm going to spring for the one where it's a little below to compensate for trail braking.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

drat that's a great deal too. If I wasn't so antsy about my warranty I'dve nabbed it.

I heard with the AP you can change how the throttle response is and so forth, which for some reason the FoST has a weirdly sluggish gas pedal (along with it being badly placed).

Here's the GarageLine pedal spacer I was talking about : http://www.garageline.com/interior-bits/293-garage-line-2013-ford-focus-st-accelerator-pedal-mount.html

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Anyone with a 13 ST1 having squealing brake issues? Light brake usage and coming to a stop and my brakes squeal. I told the tech at the dealership about it and they said I still have plenty of life left on the brakes so it's ok. It's been about 5k more miles of daily driving and highway driving and still the same problem. It's not temperature because it'll still do it after an hour of driving it still does it.

Maybe they're just poo poo brake pads?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

There's been a lot of talk about removing the clutch assistance spring in the FiST and FoST for much better clutch engagement. Apparently the Mustang guys do this too. I gave it a whirl and it feels much smoother but it'll take some getting used to. There's no mechanical downside that causes any damage according to some Ford employees.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

GutBomb posted:

I read about this too, but the guy that originally did it said there was a lot of play at the top of the pedal travel so he undid it.

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/1242-DIY-Clutch-Pedal-Assist-Helper-Spring-Removal

There is a bit of play but that's because the original spring held the pedal up all the way. Without it, the pedal itself is heavy enough to have come to a rest about a half inch from its initial start. There's no issue of the clutch being partially engaged since the clutch engagement is pretty heavy, and the pedal is also light.

I've found my shifts are shorter and quicker, but holding the clutch in will need more leg days at the gym (or skipping the left leg workout). I quite like it because it reminds me of my S-10's clutch and I had a blast in it. I honestly wouldn't mind a different type of spring because I found the whole thing to have too much pressure on it on the return, causing a jump sometimes if you're not controlling it carefully. Now its easier to feel the engagement point and overall my shifts have been smoother. But to each their own.

It's a very easy "mod" that you can do in a minute, and same for putting it back. I didn't use any tools.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Ugh I wish I could get that cubby hole on my '13 ST. Also, no dead pedal?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Spotted this Abarth out and about. Do this.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

GarageLine has a spacer that allows you to change the position and height I believe.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Yeah but at least in an ST no one is expecting s drag race at every traffic light.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Is it better to get an actual short shifter, or just a kit that does the job?

This is for an ST. I see kits that you install under the hood, and full shifters that require getting into the assembly in the cabin.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

gvibes posted:

Finally hit 5000 miles in my WRX purchased in June of 2013.

Why did I buy a car.

How do you get away with not driving that much? I got my ST in 2013 and its about to hit 36k. Only 400 more miles to go and then I can start slapping on parts without worry of a warranty.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Just saw that my rear wing of my '13 ST is bit crooked. Not sure how long its been that way, but I'm 1k over my warranty miles. Chances of the Ford Dealership laughing in my face when I ask for them to fix it for free?

Alternate route: wing risers - yay/nay? http://www.boombaracing.com/focus-st-wing-risers/

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Acky posted:

Starting to get cold here, and found a great deal on some comedy option winter wheels for my Fost

I'd love to get some wacky crazy rims for my FoST for the winter sets. Unfortunately, when I had to get winters, I went with the cheapest, ugliest rims possible for them:

http://www.wheelsbymbmotoring.com/product.php?wheel=Sprite

The center caps have already started to miscolor after about 2 years, and by golly are they ugly. I'm tempted to switch them out with something, ANYTHING, other than them.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Jesus Christ give me a paddle shifting RS with Porsche-width tires.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

I had an actual Michigan factory guy see my car while I was in Michigan come up to me and say thanks for buying the cars he put together.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

It's not impossible. Without a seatbelt you are basically going the same speed as the car and will keep moving until something stops you. It looks like it was possibly a violent rollover and that usually leads to an ejection. Check out YouTube for old videos of cars from the 60s on the Neuburgring and the low speed crashes resulted in people still sticking out the car as it rolled. Phone posting so I can't find it now.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

My wing is a tad crooked to the point it rubs on the body. Would the dealer still fix it if it outside the warranty, or would it be better to do it myself. Or comedy option: buy the wing riser set.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

I've noticed that some of my body panels on my FoST aren't lining up correctly. Namely my rear left taillight is wedged against the panel and actually chipping paint. I'm over my warranty and the dealer just told me to go to a body shop.

Should I try to argue it out or just suck it up and go to the body shop? At least it'd be a free estimate but it's annoying that I didn't look over my new purchase three years ago with a high grade magnifying glass.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Ok first: the more weight (mass) an object has, the more force required to stop it. Some people thought that putting more weight on a car improves traction, but in reality it affects the weight transfer and center of mass.

Second: yes, you might be able to stop quicker than a truck. But take into consideration that there are rear end in a top hat tailgaters that don't look more than one car ahead. They might be nose-deep in their texting party that they plow into the rear of your car and shove you into the rear end of a semi. Unless you are in a higher vehicle, and the under-ride bars aren't made out of poo poo or not rusted, that puts your head right into the back end of the trailer.

Third: trucks do kick up debris, do have tire blowouts, and have poo poo come off the top of them. Most importantly, the closer you get to a vehicle, the less visibility you have of the road ahead, around the truck, and if that truck driver can see you. If the truck suddenly swerves out of the way of stopped traffic, you're going to have roughly 80 ft to stop - which at highway speeds isn't happening.

With semi truck drivers getting younger and less training, I'm all about getting the hell away from them when possible.

/Driving instructor rant

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Gotta upgrade to Pilot SUPER sports!

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

GutBomb posted:

Those are excellent tires but they don't come in the OEM size.

Aren't you in a FoST? I got Michelin PSS in OEM size. Th guy was even trying to say I could put 245s on them but I thought that would make the abysmal turn radius even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Have no worries. There is a gent on Focusst.org that as a 300k Focus ST. He's just now working on the clutch I believe.