Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Nidhg00670000 posted:

My problem was how the trailing arm bearings disintegrated and destroyed the rear axle tube. Happened to both my 405s and happened to the 306.

stump posted:

Yeah that was the problem with the Volcane, swapping in a whole rear axle unit wasn't too bad, done it by myself in a few evenings on the drive using four old scissor jacks to ease it into place. Bleeding the brakes was the biggest pain. I loving hate bleeding brakes.

That's a common 80s/90s Peugeot/Citroen problem. The shaft seals start to go after about 10-12 years and let water into the bearings. New seals are only a few pounds, but unfortunately you don't notice anything is wrong until it's too late - the arms either seize solid, or the bearings wear the tube away causing camber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Butt Wizard posted:

A new challenger appears...

I always like the Delta (and regret not buying a 1.6HF many years ago), but I've seen too many photos of rust to buy one today.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Pulling Teeth posted:

Are there any other French hot hatch enthusiasts here? That is, people who like to go fast around corners on the way to their mechanic? This one is mine:

Renaultsport Megane 225 Cup

I've got a Peugeot 205 GTI. I've owned it since 2004 and have swapped the engine for a 160hp 16V from a Citroen BX, plus a nice leather interior from a limited edition 309.

It's off the road at the moment. I tried to tidy up the engine wiring (it was a real mess after the engine swap), but 25 year old French wiring that's been roasting away in the engine bay is rather brittle, so I ended up having to make a complete new engine loom from scratch.