Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mattdev posted:

Sorry, lads. Had to go Subaru.

The one thing on mine that didn’t break! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

wolrah posted:

This seems to be a common theme in hot hatches, too much wheel and not enough sidewall for all but the most perfect roads. Generally the correct answer is to run either the smallest wheel you can fit around your brakes or possibly one size larger, and add sidewall to make up for the difference in diameter.

Next time it comes time for summer tires on the Fiesta I'm getting a set of 16" wheels for exactly this reason. The 17s just don't leave enough rubber. 15s like I run for winter would be too sloppy, but it seems from the forums that 16s are a nice balance.

Seconding this, I ate a pothole in the CTR bad enough to destroy the tire, damage the wheel, and mess up something else that now makes it impossible to get aligned properly. The rubber bands they put around the dubs on that thing are unsuitable for US roads.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Source4Leko posted:

That would ultimately be a goal, yes. I'm either going to get this car or take some of the same money id spend on the new car and make my Si as fast as I can.

I’ve seen a number of people who claim success in getting better performance than the R from an Si when they spend the price differential on upgrades. That said, I bought the R and love it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

He has a k20z3 Civic, not the turbo one

Yes, new Si plus upgrades is an alternative to new R that costs less up front and may result in a superior outcome over time.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

Plus you get a car you will never be able to sell so you got that going for you.

Lol if you give a gently caress about resale value. Get your car for you, not the next guy.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

evrae posted:

upgrade =]

:bisonyes:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

evrae posted:

browsing around for one

the dealership was kind enough to ask about drilling one on the front. i said no thanks!

I found one that mounts through the horn air hole, let me see if I can find it. It’s been on for a year with no problems so far for me.

Edit: this one

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

fknlo posted:

Do they buy cars with an accident history? I didn't think they did.

They took the idiot hellcar Subaru, no problemo.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I forgot that AI was full of ogres.

Some tall people post here too.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Google Now randomly decided to show me an article from India, and, uh

That R variant will apparently have 220 horsepower. No indication if it will ever come to the US.

That would be amazing.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

just try not giving a poo poo it works great

Cheap too!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

revmoo posted:

Just get the regular one. I think the pro gives you more points or something dumb.

The one annoying part of these things is they make you watch ads in the app to gain points to make changes. Yeah it's incredibly loving stupid. But the points are easy to bank so don't worry about it. Also I think you can make VCDS style changes without using points, the points are just for the one-click mods.
:barf:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Godly.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I daily drive my Civic R but have never taken it to the track nor modded it unless you count floor mats. I might not be very helpful, but ask me anything.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

dk2m posted:

How's it been treating you reliability wise? Have you found any downsides to owning one? How bad (if bad at all) is the torque steer?

Reliability no problems; I change oil every 5K and get the rest of the maintenance done right on schedule and it hasn't let me down after 15 months and 30,000 miles. Biggest downside is the front splitter makes the car low enough to scrape on the bottoms of ramps more than I like, though it's all been on the bottom surface so far so I don't have to look at my mistakes. The tire/wheel combo is unsuitable for the poor conditions of US roads; I took a pothole in January on a local interstate that destroyed the front passenger tire, slightly damaged the wheel, and disrupted the suspension to the point that caster is now out of spec. If you can find some FK2 wheels get those and get an inch more sidewall between you and the road; they have the same geometry as what comes on the FK8 (8.5J ET60). Torque steer is undetectable with the OEM wheels but I got a little when I had the Enki wheels with my snow tires as those wheels have different geometry (ET45 I think).

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Big TT Golf GF

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

fknlo posted:

Just ate a huge chunk of the face off one of my wheels on a curb that for some reason sticks out like a foot and a half from the drive through window at the McDonald's in Colby Kansas. Stoked!

As if you needed another reason to avoid McDonald’s.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Roundup Ready posted:

Dude I work with has a buddy that owns a high end tuning shop. He somehow managed to snag the engine from an Audi rs8 and dropped it into a standard looking alltrack. Zero visible changes sans a small lowering from the shocks and whatnot he added.

He just goes around town blowing the doors off of Microsoft yuppies in their Porsche and BMW in a 600+hp sleeper VW

lmao that owns

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

That's why I was looking for a virgin FiST.

I thought wanted to get FiSTed initially, but it turns out the FiST is too small for my needs :colbert:

I stuck a Veloster N up my rear end.

Wait, poo poo.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

http://sexwithcars.com

https://thefpl.us/episode/156

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Edit: bad url parsing, never mind

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Man fuuuuuck these FK8 Honda dubs and the rubber bands they put on them. Somehow I cracked one of the spokes at 38,000 miles and this is a different wheel than the one I potholed badly enough to destroy the tire back in the spring. I found a place that sells the FK2 19" that have the same geometry; we'll see how well I do with an extra inch of sidewall.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Warbird posted:

Can anyone provide me a good reason not to purchase and mount a horn kit to play Dixie in/on my GTI?

Not wanting to be associated with the Confederacy, for starters. Go with something that has less baggage like, I don’t know, “Horst-Wessel-Lied”. That one appeals to the same crowd and is genetically appropriate for the car.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

CTR got a 2020 update in the form of two piece front rotors, better pads, alcantara wrapped wheel, and some other little things

Such as fake sound in the cabin and automated driver assist. No thanks to both those.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Huh. Never knew I'd lust hardcore over a Yaris of all things.

I'll sell my FiST the minute they come stateside if a test drive shows them to be anything like what I'm imagining.

Who am I kidding, it'll never come here because Ford decided we can't have fun anymore and all the other carmakers went along with it.

Nobody buys small fun cars here anymore, it’s huge rear end trucks or go gently caress yourself. Toyota got disappointed on the FT86 sales; why would they do that to themselves again?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MunchE posted:

Keeping in mind that "nobody buys" apparently means they need like 300k sales a year. I read everywhere that nobody is buying Ford's cars. I also read how Subaru is selling so many Crosstrek's they can't keep up. In 2018, the Crosstrek peaked at 144k cars sold in the US. In 2017, the year before it was dropped, they sold 158k Ford Focuses down from a peak of 245k in 2012. The "nobody buys" thing is a fiction - the reality is Ford has a CEO who wants to pump next year's stock and doesn't care about their future, and they'd rather make high margins selling loaded pickups then compact cars to budget customers.

The Crosstrek is a pig and how many of those Focuses weren’t basement tier shitboxes? Smaller cars sell but not small fun cars. Even the MX-5 isn’t selling like it was 15-20 years ago.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

a mysterious cloak posted:

After two years of being a GTI owner, I finally got the chance to take it on a couple of trips out of town recently, once by myself and once with the family along. It was great, except for the car talking to me psychically every now and then. Usually something like this:

Car: Feels good on the open road, right?
Me: Yeah, it's really nice! Comfortable, composed, I'm really enjoying it.
Car: That's great! ... Seats still comfy?
Me: Yeah, they're good.
Car: Because I've noticed... well, that your rear end is a little bigger and the seat is more snug. Just saying.
Me: I...

:smith:

I wouldn’t take that kind of poo poo off someone whose grandpa worked for Hitler.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Solus posted:

I finally managed to get one. :unsmith:

Hell yeah!

Note that double tap+hold on unlock will roll down all four windows, if you have a bunch of stuff in your pockets and it’s raining this will be very relevant.

The front splitter is low enough to hit parking space curbs so figure out where to index when nosing into a space.

The TPMS takes about 40 continuous miles to calibrate.

You can get into the menus and adjust the lock and unlock lights and beeps, there are a lot of them by default.

You can adjust the trip odo to automatically reset at refueling.

The head unit is running Android and you can get it to the application launcher if you dig deep enough.

The slybrackets front plate mount will fit in the horn hole on the passenger side so you don’t have to drill your bumper. Edit: I’m too late. :smith:

If you suddenly get horrible squealing that lessens when you turn you probably have a rock stuck in the brake cover, mine loves to get gravel stuck at the top edge. You can easily remove it with a gloved hand.

No advice for driver assistance stuff, mine is old enough to not have any.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 15, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Voltage posted:

This happened on my ‘18 Civic Si ! Was just the worst sound ever - turned out to be a little pebble that looked like either black glass or obsidian.

Anyways, I have been considering trading it in for the R, but I don’t want to have to worry about the rubber band tires on 20” wheels - I’ve already popped 2 tires on my 18’s.
I have 17” rims and fatter tires for the snow, although I think the R takes 18’s as the smallest.

I have 18s on mine for snow.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Voltage posted:

How is the handling with 18’s ? I would most likely run year round since I’m in the pothole ridden northeast.

It’s fine. I get a teeny bit of torque steer but it’s nothing to sweat about.

I destroyed a tire, bent a wheel, and cracked a spoke on another wheel on the lovely roads around our nation’s capital so yes, ditch the 20s if you drive in the United States. It’s hard to find replacements with similar offset; I ended up importing the FK2 Type R wheels for the extra inch of sidewall and will run those when the winter ends.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If you’ve had a sunroof or moonroof before and know you like it, it might be worth it. I had a moonroof on my two previous cars and while I never had problems with either, I won’t pay extra or go out of my way to have one on a future car because I never got much value from it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mill Village posted:

The dealer sold the GTI I wanted to see even though it was still on their site when I got there. :negative:

There’s a nice white one at another dealer near my house, but it has some modifications. It has APR Stage 2, AWE Catback Exhaust, and Injen Cold Air Intake. I’m thinking it was driven hard.

nope nope nope nope

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rusty posted:

Same, I think the CTR looks neat, but I'm too old to drive something that looks like that.

Crap on that, drive it if you like it. I turn 40 in a few weeks and will still be in the Civic Type R.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

angryrobots posted:

Naw, the dealer and tax fees are pretty comparable among the ones I've looked at.... it's the list price they won't budge from. Best I can figure is that at several points Ford offered a $3K incentive (plus your military/first responder/college discounts) aaaaand that's not offered now. In a way, the dealers left with them are hung out to dry by Ford.

I'll just keep looking for a low-mileage '16+ (that's the years that can get the updated Sync3 for Android Auto right?) private party. Probably not a great time to pick up an unnecessary debt with all the poo poo going on, anyway.

Wait a few weeks and you can start picking them up from estate sales.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

it was probably incorrectly marketed that it had a mechanical diff but it does not

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...q-works.351185/

That's a really good forum post.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Solus posted:

I ordered a bunch of Spoon Sports parts for my Type R because I want to be even more of a special snowflake. Now I get to play the waiting game

I got a Mugen leather wrapped shift knob because I’m tired of burning my hand in the summer.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mariooncrack posted:

I'm looking for a shift knob for a 2018 Civic Si. What's a reputable site to order one from?

rhdjapan got my Mugen knob here with no fuss.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MarsellusWallace posted:

Is LSPI / lugging a major concern for this? The turbo might be well able to dump a ton of boost at 1800rpm, but would it do bad things to the motor to do it regularly?

In other news, I couldn't find and MazdaSpeed 3s or WRX hatchbacks on dealer lots so I got a civic hatch. Haven't seen these much in the thread, but it seems like a pretty decent car. Picked it up yesterday, already ordered smaller 18" wheels with some quieter tires (PS4S).

Trying to figure out what to do for winter tires, as this is my first fast-ish car. Seems like most winter tires are focused mostly on snow/ice, but winter here is mostly just cool and wet.

Nice. One suggestion is to replace the shift knob with a leather wrapped one; the aluminum will be instant second degree burn in the summer sun.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MarsellusWallace posted:

Had a civic for less than a week and I'm already doing aftermarket stuff, what the christ.

Got 18x8 wheels to replace the 20x8.5 and switched to Michelin PS4S tires. Is this normal?

Also, SavageGeese and Engineering Explained both seem very pro-catchcan for direct injection motors. Seems cheap and very easy to install, but I'm worried about potential warranty problems if a dealer sees it.

Yes, the factory dubs are wholly unsuited to North American roads. For the catch can, determine if your dealer is friendly to mods. Most aren't but a few are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

slothrop posted:

Toyota Australia discounting the first 1000 GR Yaris cars sold by $10K!

I'm definitely not shoppping for a $50k hot hatch, and I'm probably not shopping for a $40k hot hatch but that is a significant discount.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/883804...carousel&slot=0

Those are Australian dollars, by the way.