Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Solus posted:

Pouring one out for my type r. Insurance company has totaled it today after someone sideswiped me while parked. Truly the lamest way to go out

Ahh drat dude that sucks. If the Veloster N is available in your region give that a look, I got one after my own R was totaled out a couple months ago and it's been good for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Took delivery of my gr Corolla today. MSRP + tax, out the door at 42k (performance pack and some other options).

I broke my foot snowboarding a month ago and have another month in the air cast/boot, and while I can actually drive this and most manuals fine (practice driving manual in snowboard boots go figure) I had my wife drive it home.

The dealer said it was probably their only one they'll get this year and suggested that their wait-list for them is over 70 people.

Stoked as hell to actually drive it on the road once my foot has emerged from it's slumber. Also stoked that the forecast snow was just rain as we drove home because it definitely has pilot sports on it.

Nice!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sarcastx posted:

I sent a complaint to Toyota about my dealer gouging me on the GR Corolla, here's their helpful reply:

lol

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

a dealer selling one without markup

lmao

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Any Civic Type R you can get for 35k is likely to be a basket case, proceed with caution. It's a lovely car though, and I miss it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Always tires, it's the easiest, cheapest, and often most effective upgrade you can make to a vehicle.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Partial Octopus posted:

I was bored on my lunch break last week and decided to look at Toyota's inventory site. Found a dealer in bumfuck nowhere Nebraska with a GRC. Called them and it was available for MSRP. Got super lucky and picked it up over the weekend.

Really didn't want a black car but beggars can't be choosers. Put 700 miles on it over the weekend. Coming from owning Miatas and 86s this car is scary fast. The engine is phenomenal and has a very old school feel. All the power is above 4k. It really wants you to ring it out. The car feels like it has endless amounts of grip. The suspension is really well tuned for aggressive street driving. It can be a bit harsh on rough pavement but it's very composed otherwise. It's been perfect for the mountain roads in Colorado. The shifter feels great, especially for being cable operated. It has a very mechanical feel. The seats are the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in. I drove for nearly 10 hours yesterday with no butt pain at all. In my Crosstrek I'd be uncomfortable after about 2 hours.

The technology package is dog poo poo. The JBL stereo is terrible. The wireless charger barely works. Wireless Android Auto is a coin flip every time you start the car. The nav included in the package requires a subscription to use.

Overall I couldn't be happier with the car. I'm stoked to get it out to a track day and really figure out it's limits. Hopefully I don't die in a canyon before then.

That rules. Congratulations!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

devmd01 posted:

Finally have the wife convinced and even about a specific ST3, gonna call them about a buy and fly tomorrow. Already got pre-approval from my bank.

We went to see a 2017 titanium yesterday as she was concerned about back seat space and is good with it, so I may just pull off the “normal focus to ST” switcheroo. She’s gonna be real annoyed, lmao.

Good luck! Hopefully you don't end up living the current thread title. :v:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

devmd01 posted:

A triple yellow 2017 ST 402A will be mine within a week. The fun part will be getting it home 400 miles after vacation having barely driven stick before. I’m sure I’ll be an expert by the end, because I’ll have to be!

Best way to learn the clutch on a car that's new to you is to find a parking lot and get it from a stop through first and into second gear without touching the gas. Once you have that you're good to go.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I like the idea that the Golf, a dull and boring design, is somehow not boring with two doors but boring with four.

The Animal Farm sequel is going in some weird directions.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

devmd01 posted:

I’m gonna need to do a lot of hill start practice, did the dreaded stall with cars behind me today. :negative:

Wasn’t apparently enough of an incline for hill start assist to kick in even though it’s enabled.

If you're ever unsure what to do in a manual the answer is always "more gas" unless you're pointed directly at an obstacle. You may make a lot of noise and put a tiny bit of extra wear on the clutch but you'll never stall the car.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Also a good one if you have a lever handbrake. Not recommend if it's a pedal or electrically controlled parking brake.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Warbird posted:

My spouse backed into someone while parallel parking my GTI this morning. No one was hurt thankfully and the other fellow’s car is largely undamaged (got in touch, he said it wasn’t a problem) but I have a fun little dent and paint damage right above my left rear wheel. Naturally this is the panel that’s one large piece and wraps up over the car. Doubly nice is that it’s on a fold so they likely can’t just pop it out. This is going to goddamn suck isn’t it?

Might still be worth going to a PDR shop to see what they can do. Some fuckface in an Expedition slammed their door into the side of my RSX right on the apex of the crease over the rear wheel and the PDR shop I went to mostly fixed it. If I got a light on it at the right angle I could see a little ripple because I knew where to look but it was fine from 10 feet away and most importantly didn't piss me off every time I looked at it when walking back to the car.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

is there any way to generate a nude tein?

I hear that's legal in Tijuana.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Solus posted:

:unsmith: We are back

:nice:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dr. Kayak Paddle posted:

Took delivery of my fat Yaris today.

awesome

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TheBacon posted:

Use a tow hook mount?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:hellyeah:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

trilobite terror posted:

I have larger than average testicles and I can’t manspread comfortably enough in the ST Recaros. This is not an attempt at a flex, I have a medical situation.

:ok:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DoesNotCompute posted:

The internet is definitely mad about it having an AMG badge but it's nice to have a 305hp AWD car that I can fit a 12 foot skeleton in.

After a month or so of being shocked at market prices for 2-3 year old Golf R's in Canada I decided to spend less on this gently depreciated A35 hatch, so far really enjoying it. Now I just wait for the head to blow up.

There's a Benz I'd actually consider!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DoesNotCompute posted:

When I picked up the A35 the former owner's Mercedes me account was still logged in so I took note of his name. Noticed he had posted on some A35 facebook groups so I at least know that my car got a brand new head at 25k km. From what I've read they had revised part numbers for the replacements and no reports of failures with the new ones so that's one thing to stress less about inevitably leaving me stranded.

I am glad to hear that you received fresh head from your car's previous owner.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Imperador do Brasil posted:

$20 is more than $0 though

Impeccable logic.

Deviant posted:

Hmm. Looks like I just need a compressor, a hook, and my standard wrenches/sockets? Just wondering if it'll be a pain with the car just on a jack stand vs a full lift, and how many hours it'll take me vs someone more practiced.

First time will be a poo poo show that takes twice as long as it "should" and all subsequent times will be much faster.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Is the Civic ST the Sport Touring?

Given what you’ve said, you don’t need a Golf R, a Civic Type R, or a GR Corolla. A Golf GTI is the top end of power that I’d recommend here. Realistically I think a Civic Si is the sweet spot here.

At least test drive the Si to get an idea about what the Civic R and Integra S will be like.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

trilobite terror posted:

Polly doesn’t know how to drive stick yet. She needs a car that she can learn on and mistreat the clutch on for a bit, so in all seriousness a $40-60k sports car probably ain’t it.

Fair, though I will note that Honda's rev match is really helpful in that regard. The later points about huge rear end rims on lovely roads are 100% valid though, I busted up the OEM dubs on the Civic R on the poorly maintained DC beltway and just destroyed an aftermarket 18 on a different stretch of that highway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

It's not a hard requirement, but a beater to practice on could be a plus. Especially if it's got newbie-friendly features like Honda's rev matching thing apparently is.

I don't think rev match was ever available on North American Fits but in every other respect it sounds good for you.