Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

dissss posted:

What is this diesel obsession?

It's the greener grass effect.

USians don't get a lot of diesel cars, which makes them special and exotic in the US market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Rhyno posted:

Dude's got braces and crutches. I talked to him once, driving is the only thing he can do that he enjoys. Shame he made the car ugly.

gently caress it, he can do whatever he wants with it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

bobfather posted:

I'm not sure about that specific model year Focus. I do know that sound symposers seem to be the new rage for most cars. I personally just don't care for the idea of them, which is to make a car sound loud even if it isn't.

Some of us have cars that don't need symposers :smug:

Because they shoved the exhaust headers right up against the firewall with barely any sound insulation :v:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

sadnessboner posted:

Peugeot goes and moves the goal posts. This might explain why the 208 gti lacks the feel of the better cars in the class.

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/57659/hot-peugeot-208-r-confirmed-report

235hp in a French hatchback :swoon:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

veedubfreak posted:

Is this a real thing? Did you make that up?

No, it's the actual designation for Renault's 2.0L turbo 4-cylinder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_F-Type_engine#F4x

:mmmhmm:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BoostCreep posted:

I had a guy stop next to me at a red light to tell me my tires were sparking going around turns in my Fiesta ST. I assumed I had nails stuck in them or something, but I've not found anything yet and I still have full tire pressure everywhere. So either the Fiesta comes with sparking tires from the factory or the guy was a drunk.

You haven't noticed anyone throwing bananas or tortoise shells at your car lately, have you?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I thought winter tires were designed to clean themselves of snow by flexing under the weight of the car, not by flinging it off using wheelspin.

In my experience, once the wheels start spinning freely, you're done for. Slow and steady and smooth wins the race. Wheelspin when setting off at intersections creates dangerous polished ice surfaces, the exact opposite of what you want for traction.

And whenever I've driven in snow in my T/C- and ESP-less FWD car on winter tires, everything goes smoothly if I take it ease. The second I give it too much throttle, it just spins the tires and plows straight ahead.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Snowdens Secret posted:

That's less hatchback and more hatchtop

Liftback :eng101:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

dissss posted:

Not even turbo, it's just an N/A 2l Duratec. Goes pretty well in a lightweight car though.

I test drove one with a mild tune and some Pumaspeed parts back when I ended up buying the Peugeot. Such a hoot to drive, and hands down the best-feeling manual gearbox I have ever tried, so slick and precise with a nice short throw.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

mafoose posted:

Depends on the system, but it's likely still needed on your typical transverse engine types.

I'm sad they aren't using the 5 cylinder, as it sounds so good!

That's a Volvo engine, and Ford divorced Volvo a while back. Such a shame, it's an awesome engine, in the Mondeo as well.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

priznat posted:

Does the Mercedes-Benz GLA count as a hatchback? Because the 45 AMG version, good lord :stare:

Sort of a low crossover with the AMG being even lower with a 2.0 turbo delivering 355hp AWD.

Slighter taller and heavier version of the A-class, which is definitely a hatch. The two are barely distinguishable, so I'd say it counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Voltage posted:

Also how does a car still have drum brakes in 2015??

It's cheaper and more reliable to do the handbrake with drum rear brakes than it is with discs. As me about having a drum-in-disc handbrake spontaneously lock up while driving in traffic, necessitating a $750 brake job.

Plus 80+% of the braking on a road car is handled by the front brakes, the rear brakes are basically only there to prevent the car from swapping ends.