Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Friar Zucchini posted:

So how does hill-start assist work then? I've never driven a car with it, does it just mess with the throttle mapping and give you more power? I figured it'd be something mechanical like basically a one-way parking pawl like in an automatic, or the computer would apply the brakes until there was enough power to move forward without affecting the throttle.

In my Outback, if I hold the brake past a certain point, it'll hold the car for about two seconds and then roll back. If the car detects that it's on a steep enough incline, it'll engage the parking brake automatically. The parking brake is disengaged once you hit the gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Have you test driven a focus st yet?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
If your serious about getting a focus st instead of your mustang gt, go look at one and test drive one again. Hopefully, it'll help make your decision.

If I were in your situation, I think I would regret not give a focus st another look.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Weren't you thinking about getting rid of your miata too?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Wicaeed posted:

Sooooo I just ditched my '13 Focus ST3 package for a '15 White S3 from the local Audi dealer.

Apparently KBB is MASSIVELY incorrect about the trade-in & MSRP values for a used '13 Focus ST. My car had relatively high miles (39k) and needed some body work (rolled a small section of the fender while coming into my garage) plus new tires, but their loving trade-in guy offered me $14k for it. KBB puts the same car at about $17.5k for trade-in.

Honestly I didn't believe him at first, but after checking some out of area dealers (and some nearby ones), it seems like you can get a screaming deal on used Focus ST's now, even relatively low mileage ones (under 20k-25k mi) are going around $19k MSRP

KBB is very optimistic when pricing trade ins and what cars are worth

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

MarsellusWallace posted:

So, since the OP appears somewhat out of date, what are the current decent hit hatches in the US?
Of course there are the Ford Fiesta and Focus, the WRX (minus the hatch, though many will cross-shop, myself included), the Golf, and the Veloster Turbo... Anything else in the low-cost practical performance segment?

PS good lord, Mazda needs to get their zoom-zoom on in the Mazda3, literally the only downside of that car is the lack of oomph at low RPMs and the fact that the radio looks like a cheap aftermarket unit sitting on top of the dash. Don't they have a grunty turbo four for the 3's CUV platform-mate?

Not a hatch but Civic SI?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
If you own a manual, you'll stall out every once and awhile. It's a little embarrassing and it gets more infrequent over time.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
They are not currently selling the 2 in the US. I think they discontinued in 2015.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
In my outback, when hill hold is engaged, you have to press a little extra hard on the brake to engage it.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
What about used FoST? Unfortunately, I don't see any used FiST near me but I see plenty of used FoST. They seem to be hovering around $20k, give or take a few grand.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Oh, I didn't really look too hard at the new FoST. Looks like they're advertised near me for $24k. My neighbor works for Ford so I think I can get the X-Plan discount on it. How's the deprecation on the FoST compared to the FiST?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Agreed.

I love the idea of a type r civic but it screams boy racer. I'm kind of curious about the new SI though.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Don't these go for $21 or $22k new OTD?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I don't think that's available in the U.S.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
From the Resources thread:

quote:

Suppose you have to pump 20 gallons to fill back up. If regular unleaded is $4.50 a gallon, and premium unleaded is $4.75 a gallon.

20 * 4.50 = $90

20 * 4.75 = $95

For the price of a combo meal at Mickey D's you're putting premium in your tank, which is what your vehicle recommends. Someone else in this thread said to just bring a sandwich to work. There's your cost offset. Stop freaking out about premium gas.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I'm pretty sure the new civic si is going to come out with a hatchback version.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Quite A Tool posted:

This is a shot in the dark, but anyone know any good collision repair shops in the West Seattle/Seattle Area? The Service King nearest to me can't get me in for nearly a month and won't accept it if it needs to be towed in. The other parties insurance accepted liability which is nice, but now it seems like it's going to take a month+ just to get my car on the road.

Alternatively should I just have it sent to the dealership, or so they usually not deal with collision poo poo?

Dealerships usually don't do collision. If it's part of a large dealership network, they may have a dedicated collision shop. If nothing else, they may be able to recommend a place to take your car.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kcMJTYh5xs

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The 1.5 sounds great, but again, I REALLY don't want to deal with any issues it's just not worth the risk to me. Too bad because the Si sounds like fun but i don't want to smell gas and worry about the oil being contaminated ruining the motor prematurely.

I would at least go look at a Civic SI. FWIW, I've had mine since last September. I'm just under 10k miles and I've had no issues. I definitely don't smell gas. Honda extended the warranty for the powertrain to 6 years, unlimited miles.

I test drove a FiST and FoST last year before getting the Civic. It's the interior that killed those cars for me. The interiors were terrible compared to a GTI or Civic and were comparable in price.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I drove 30 minutes right after work to check out a super cheap 2015 FiST and it was a loving SMOKERS CAR GODDAMN IT

I thought you bought a truck

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I'm looking for a shift knob for a 2018 Civic Si. What's a reputable site to order one from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Sounds like an Italian tune up is in order.