Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
A guy that has been pretty spot on with Focus RS info is saying that it's going to start in the $34k range. So, :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

So $45k with all the bells and whistles?

I think the Golf R tops out at just under $40k, so I'd expect similar or less.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Locator posted:

Per our discussions they were free to look for a dealer-swap car

This is one thing I'm not a fan of. I don't want some high school dropout loving around in my car for its first couple hundred miles. When I was trying to get an FRS the dealer wanted to do this and I said I'd be fine with it if I picked up the car. They said that wouldn't work so I didn't do it. Ended up changing my mind on what I wanted anyway.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Electric Pigeon posted:

Wow. I'm going to wait with bated breath/wild-eyed panting for confirmation on that one.
:toot: indeed!

This guy has been pretty much dead on regarding everything before it's official, so hopefully he's right again. I'll drive the Focus RS and the Golf R, but I just can't see myself getting another Golf. Pretty much everything else I want is affordable but more than I want to spend or going up in price.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

A fully kitted out GTI is pushing 30k,

A fully kitted out GTI is pushing $34k these days...

There are 2 local to me that are > $33.5.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Wicaeed posted:

The price tag is the most worrying part, seeing as thats a little bit over $45,000 USD.

Mentioned above, but it doesn't work like this with big manufacturers. It never has. I don't know why people still assume it.

If you're interested in a car from a boutique manufacturer on the other hand...

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'd be really interested in the RS3 if it came to the US(it won't) outside of the fact that it would probably be in the $60k+ neighborhood. And gently caress that.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I already have a 4 door hatch for DD purposes yet would have no problem buying another hot one for my fun car.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Didn't realize those wheels were forged. I don't really like them, but that's interesting.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The $40k the optioned out R costs is severely pushing it, you know that is going to cost at least $45k.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Thinking about it more as I was laying in bed last night, isn't the Golf R basically going to be a TT-RS? If so, I'd expect a ballpark of wherever that was priced. So yeah...

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

Interesting, but if it did manage to make it here, it's probably going to be another 10k on top of the Golf R price. 400hp out of a 4 cylinder just seems like it's asking for problems though. Which is why I likely will not mod the R at all. 300hp is plenty to get me in trouble already. Only reason I haven't had a ticket in the TDI is that I simply can't push it much harder than I already do.

I'd love an R Wagen though.

Like I said, it's basically a TT-RS right? So take whatever the price of that was and take maybe $5k off since it's a Golf. Then maybe add that back on for the unique body panels and stuff. I could easily see it in the $50-55k range.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

Why does everyone hate giving the US hatchbacks. CUVs have ruined everything.

Because nobody buys them unless they're lifted and AWD and called CUV's. Same thing for wagons.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TKIY posted:

I can afford the RS, but it sounds like we won't get any here in Manitoba. My dealer told me that they are expecting less than 100 nationwide and no dealer that gets one will trade it. It's being tagged as a 'lottery car' in their system.

That doesn't make any sense. Ford makes it sound like they're going to build them to demand. There shouldn't be any major supply issues outside of the first couple months.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

Should really have been the same for the ford tremor, but dealers were saying there were only 100 in canada, and asking stupid prices for them.

Yeah, that's stupid. I've seen a quote where someone from Ford basically said the first year run would be less than the ST first year run(13,000), but they could build as many as they want since there wouldn't be any issues with production. I'd expect similar numbers to the Golf R, so like 5,000 a year or so.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm usually pretty good about not curbing wheels. It happens every now and then though.

Got some new tires on the Golf today. Continental Extreme Contact DW. Figured I might as well grab some summer tires even though I'll take an mpg hit.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

AnimalChin posted:

Summer tires increase fuel consumption?

I think I've read that and I would assume so over a lower rolling resistance tire. I could be completely wrong though.

8ender posted:

I'm considering these for my A3. Any idea on treadwear? Normally I just buy some sticky summers but they'll burn up on my long commute now.

Not sure, but they seem to be a pretty popular replacement on TDI's, so it can't be too terrible. The only real complaints I've seen are about "soft" sidewalls and how they suck in snow.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TKIY posted:

The Genesis interior is like sitting in a strippers lap.

Full of glitter and trucker sweat?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TKIY posted:

Doubt they would fit over the calipers.

Rumors are nothing smaller than 17's or 18's will clear them.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The Golf R420 has supposedly been green lit for production.

So if it comes to the US(rumored it will if it goes to production) we'll get to see what the market is for a $50k Golf. It would have to be really special for me to spend that much. For me personally, $40k or so is the most I could probably stomach without jumping up to something else.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

8ender posted:

I need to get rich and Audi needs to bring the RS3 Sportback here around the same time that happens. I need 5 cylinders and an AWD system that can do 100% rear bias. I neeeed it.

I made this post in the new car thread, but I don't understand why the RS420 doesn't use the 5 cylinder. It's already going to cannibalize sales of the RS3 provided they bring both of them here, just give it a slightly detuned version. They're both going to cost more than I'd be willing to spend on them, so it doesn't matter for me, it just doesn't seem to make that much sense. If VW sells 500 of the RS420 a year I'll be shocked.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bajaha posted:

I've seen a surprising amount of 500's with one nonfunctional brake light. :italianelectronics: or worlds shittiest bulbs that burn out after a year or two?

This isn't just a fiat thing, I've been noticing all kinds of cars with one burnt out brake light. It's weird.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mustache Ride posted:

Focus RS is reported to have 345 horses

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/06/25/ford-focus-rs-345-horsepower-video-official/

I know what I'm getting when it finally gets here. Now the question. Blue or grey?

The guy that has been right about everything else about the car so far said it's going to have a starting price of <$35k as well. Can't wait to test drive one. I don't think I'm going to be able to get my hands on an Ariel Nomad, so I need to focus(no pun intended) on something more realistic.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Farking Bastage posted:

There's a rumor going around that it's pretty much maxed out from the factory. Someone on Jalopnik was saying that some of the drivetrain components probably won't handle any more power if you were to decide to tune one.

I'll believe it when I see it, but this would honestly be a deal breaker for me. It would be my fun car and I have no intentions of keeping my fun car stock.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Edward IV posted:

It's because the car has so much character and charm that any issues or downsides can be ignored. And all those constant break downs and the difficulty and high costs to maintain and fix them is part of that character and charm. :downs:

So, owning a European car?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I've heard nothing but good things about the General Altimax Arctic tires and would have them myself but couldn't find them anywhere. So I ended up with some Firestone Winterforce which are alright.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

I can't really run a true winter out here though. We alternate between 2 feet of snow and 65 degrees between December and April. I felt sorry for my poor winters this year due to just how warm it would get between the giant snow falls.

I live in KC. We go from -20 to 80 in 24 hour periods. The Firestones I have have held up just fine. I really only bought them to drive into the mountains to snowboard, they're just nice to have the times when it does snow here.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

nuclear_cheetos posted:

Did you get steelies or just use stock wheels and throw on some tires?

If you can run a size or two smaller than stock, steelies with winter tires are generally going to be cheaper. Not to mention easier to take them off/put them on whenever you want.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

So after taxes, trade in and all the other bullshit that comes along with buying a new car, I'm going to be financing 36k for the new R. I can make it work, i can make it work, i can make it work.

At least I'm not paying markup. And I'll have the 2nd 2016 Golf R in the state :catdrugs:

Nice! I don't see myself buying another VW at this point, but I'm sure the R would be fun.

I'm kind of interested in seeing if the rumor where something on the Focus RS is getting pretty much as much power as it can take without breaking is true before I really start looking at them. I reckon it will be pretty obvious within the first couple of months after they're out.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Pretty sure the thing the guy was talking about was something in the awd system. I think it was a guy on nasioc that had worked on it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bovril Delight posted:

Also the ExtremeContacts are pretty good. The ProContacts are the OE mediocre tire.

I've got the ExtremeContact DW on my TDI and they're pretty drat good so far. Good ride, lots of grip, great in the rain. Definitely not the best overall performance tire, but great for DD summer duty.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
After a roof rack attachment incident in the middle of Kansas we fit the following inside of my Golf:

4 guys
2 snowboards
2 pairs of skis
all of our associated gear for a 4 day trip(boots take up a lot of space)
The twisted remains of the roof rack attachment

It was pretty tight, but we got to Colorado and back with no other issues. I love having a hatch as my DD.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sigma X posted:

The Cobb rear motor mount seems to have fixed the shifting issues I was seeing on hard corners, and cut down on wheel hop during hard launches. Of course, the downside is a noticeable increase in cabin noise and vibration, especially felt though the steering wheel. Definitely livable, though.

Ninja Edit: Apparently, the durometer of the rubber in the RMM was changed to be even softer in the MY15 cars. Or so the rumor goes.

I remember when I changed the mounts on my SVT Focus. The noise and vibration was pretty bad and almost had me wishing I'd gone with stock mounts.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Test drove a Golf R for the hell of it today, and not gonna lie, it wasn't bad. If I hadn't driven a 911 Turbo and a C6 Z06 within the past couple of days I would have been pretty impressed.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Pell posted:

As long as I pay the $20k dealer markup.

loving :laffo:

50%+ markup. I'd tell that dealer to gently caress off and I'd never do business with them again.

e: Like I'd literally walk into the dealership, get the manager and flip him off while telling him to go gently caress himself.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 20, 2015

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Aargh posted:

The BMW 1 series? Did you guys get the hatch?

No because I'd probably own one if we did.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

dissss posted:

Not if you were 6 foot 7 - I feel cramped in one and I'm 6 nothing and scrawny

Yeah, I'm not a freak of nature.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
crossposting from the new car thread:

In interesting car news

quote:

Ford Performance is watching reaction to the new Focus RS closely before signing off an even quicker limited-run special.

Ford insiders have confirmed that an even more hardcore version of the 345bhp five-door is under consideration - and it has the potential to be the fastest-accelerating hatchback in history.

Ford’s options for bringing extra grip, performance and excitement to the new RS will be delivered mainly through weight saving and upgrading the RS’s drivetrain. This will be possible in a car with an asking price that could even eclipse the £40,000 of the Ford’s premium-branded opposition.

However, the car’s 2.3-litre four-cylinder turbo petrol engine is already operating close to its maximum and attempts to conjure more power will be hampered by the lack of room for additional cooling capacity.

Because budget constraints have limited Ford’s weight-saving options with the standard RS, there’s plenty of potential for improving the car’s power-to-weight ratio by adding lightness to a more expensive version.

Polycarbonate glazing, carbonfibre-reinforced plastic bodywork, forged aluminium suspension componentry, carbonfibre brakes, less noise insulation and a stripped-out interior could take upwards of 100kg out of the car - even after the drivetrain additions under consideration have 
been grafted on.

Those additions are likely to consist of an electronically controlled limited-slip differential for the front axle, tuned to work with the GKN-supplied rear drive unit, and 
a dual-clutch automatic gearbox. A limited-slip front-axle differential is already known to improve the RS’s handling and was under consideration for the standard car, an insider has revealed.

The obvious paddle-shift gearbox option would be Ford’s Powershift transmission, supplied by Getrag, but it is currently rated for engines with peak torque of 332lb ft, so it would need some modification.

Ford’s performance targets for the super-heated RS will be to make it quicker over the benchmark 0-62mph sprint than the latest Mercedes-AMG A45 (4.2sec) and the Audi RS3 (4.3sec). The regular RS’s claim (4.7sec) would suggest there’s plenty to do to meet that target, but company insiders have confirmed that even the standard car is much closer to Germany’s big hitters when fitted with optional 19in forged wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 semi-slick tyres.

If the potential is there to make the Focus the first hot hatch since the 2010 Subaru Cosworth Impreza STI CS400 to break the 4.0sec 0-62mph barrier, expect Ford to seize it.

:monocle:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Optimus Subprime posted:

I salute anyone willing to pay over 60 grand for a stupid fast focus.

I don't see it being more expensive than the GT350. I'm not all that huge on "you could get this car for that much money!" comparisons, especially when it comes to different classes of cars, but there's no way I'd take an RS+++++ over a GT350 at the same price point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Optimus Subprime posted:

I only bases that price on the 40k pounds stated in the article.

You can't really go by exchange rates outside of boutique manufacturers. There are a lot of other factors in play.