Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BEARS IN THE BARN posted:

You look at the price tag and specs on this and say "Yes, this seems like a breakthrough car".

Then you look at the interior. What the fuuuuuck why is Mercedes the only manufacturer doing thisssssss

Seriously. The CLA45 AMG is the same price as an optioned up lancer evo.

A 355hp AWD mercedes the same price as a 291hp plastic fantastic mitsubishi. Somebody is doing something wrong. It's a shame the A45 isn't coming over to north america considering it's so similar to the CLA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Octopus Magic posted:

Wait what:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130617/carreviews/130619854

Price: $48,375

That's a 10k+ gap, which is sizable.

A 10k gap if you buy the evo with cloth seats and a spartan interior. An evo MR with the touring package and navigation is $46,675

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

triple clutcher posted:

when is the Fiesta ST supposed to hit the US? I went down to a Ford dealership last month to feed my unhealthy obsession ask about it and the salesman had never even *heard* of the ST model ...

There are 61 new listed on cars.com, but none have an actual photo. All dealers are scum, every one, no exceptions. I doubt any of the ones listed have actually landed on the lot. Car dealers in general "don't know" what's coming out because they want you to buy something off their lot right now.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I live in alberta, anybody willing to work hard can make 100k a year, dealerships will toss you the keys to anything you ask for.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wheeee posted:

Is there any particular reason the Civic Si is never mentioned around here? Obviously it makes less power than the FI cars in the segment but it also costs substantially less, is still significantly more powerful than the "regular" cars in the segment and has a real LSD unlike most of the competition.

An Si will obviously lose a stop light race to a Focus ST but these are apparently cars focused on spirited driving through curves, where balance and having an LSD matter.

I haven't driven an Si so for all I know its a piece of poo poo, but from the perspective of someone whose favorite old car was an NX2000 the Honda looks like a very solid competitor in a field focused on fun.

It could possibly be because it's not a hatch and it's not all that hot.

edit: i'm 6'9, 260lbs. I could DD a focus ST. If you're 5'11 and are having trouble finding a comfortable seat position, you would have to be extraordinarily fat.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Stew Man Chew posted:

Yeah the gap on the hood is... really weird. All told it's a very minor complaint but a couple of weird aesthetic things.

I loved driving the Speed3, it just felt like a toy inside. And I got an A-plan discount on the ST which brought the top trim down to right around a grand more than I was being quoted (not negotiated) on a speed3.

Both are pretty loving fun.

Why not make the hood gap as wide as possible then claim it was intentional, like lexus does.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Viper915 posted:

Maybe the US Government counts as a buyer for fleet purchases and skews the average way up? :v:

The government loses 800 billion a year, that should bring the average way down.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Imagine a 2 liter fiesta RS beside the 2.3 liter focus RS.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I never get why people put snows on the stock wheels. A set of steelies and TPMS aren't that expensive, and then you get to drop down a size or two for that sweet, sweet cushy sidewall.

It makes sense if you run aftermarket wheels in the summer. why have a useless set of stock wheels sitting around?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1791apparel posted:

The Focus ST doesn't have one at all :(

The small overlap crash test basically means no more dead pedal in any car ever again. The small overlap crash test is the biggest piece of poo poo test possible. Basically, car companies spent years making a super strong cage protected by deformable crumple zones and cars became pretty safe, so the IIHS decided, "hey, lets just run poo poo strait into that super strong cage" so now you're never allowed being comfortable in a car again.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

mafoose posted:

The manual on the 3 cylinder fiesta ecoboost says 87 octane too.

Makes you wonder what a 93 tune will get you :getin:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Almost certainly. I keep reading about turbo Skyactive tests but there's not a single concrete word on it actually ending up in a car.

Yeah, i'm liking the rumors of a 300hp awd mazdazpeed 3. The rumors of early 2016 and $35,000 not so much.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

NA only got the fiesta period with the newest gen.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

priznat posted:

How's the Focus ST for a taller driver? I'm curious about that or possibly the GTI for my next ride since there are SFA options for wagons anymore.

I found the mk 7 GTI faaaaaar more comfortable.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The legroom is the biggest difference. In the focus ST i have trouble getting my foot up on the clutch before my leg hits the steering wheel. The steering wheel seems to come to a more natural position in the GTI.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

My E39 is one of the few cars i can just sit strait down into rather than sitting down and spinning into.

In terms of small cars though, the mk7 golf is one of the more comfortable cars i've found.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

SFH1989 posted:

If the FoRS is AWD and reasonably priced I think I'll ditch my plans to get a WRX and stay having only owned Fords. Plus it doesn't look like Subaru has any plans to bring back the WRK hatch in the near future and that is my biggest problem with it.

Heh, i never even thought of the acronym.

May the FoRS be with you.

I think the FoRS being FWD would be the biggest dissapointment since the mustang II. The escape is on the same platform and is AWD. As is the MKC which already has the 2.3 bolted to the AWD system. It uses Haldex IV too, which has options for a center locking diff and eLSDs and such. They could make a track eating monster that actually rivals the STIEVO rather than a tire torching novelty.

Considering how much effort was put into raptor/boss 302 performance, i'm hoping it's the former.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

skipdogg posted:

All of the EcoBoost engines from Ford will run on 87 octane, they just pull timing to do so and reduce power output. Fuel mileage supposedly gets worse as well.

I personally hate the way my 3.5L EB engines run on 87, and 93 is only 30 cents more a gallon, so I run 93 in my car.

It's not 'better' for the engine per se, but if you want to get the most out of the car, put the higher octane stuff in.

The rated power is on 87 octane. The 91 tune in the new navigator is 380hp/460ft/lbs.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You Am I posted:

Maybe they can do a Ken Block version with massive wings and Monster Energy Drink decals on it

With ken block involved in the development, it would be a real missed opportunity to not to a "43 edition" or something with wacky colored wheels and such.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ford is willing to warranty a tune that adds 90ft/lbs of torque to the 2.0 in the ST. I would say they have confidence in the capability of the engine.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, i messed around with a MK7 GTI at the last auto show here, i'm 6'9 and had tons of room. pretty much night and day from the FoST.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They said well in excess of 315hp, and tweeted then deleted 345hp. most cars translate strait across, £ = $. the FiST is £17,395, the FoST1 is £22,195, the FoST3 is £25,995. compare that to the US prices of $20,945, $24,370, and $28,625.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

fknlo posted:

That doesn't make any sense. Ford makes it sound like they're going to build them to demand. There shouldn't be any major supply issues outside of the first couple months.

Should really have been the same for the ford tremor, but dealers were saying there were only 100 in canada, and asking stupid prices for them.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sounds like a trick to get you to save up money for the wedding.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Previa_fun posted:

Toyotas are the worst about this by far, IMO.

Tomorrow i will record my car's seat belt warning for you. You'll beg for the ding.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dr.Caligari posted:

Plus that seat belt reminder 'ding' is the most annoying sound in the world. I always wear my belt, but just driving down the lane to the mailbox drives me nuts to hear that dinging

As promised. -11*c start followed by putting it into gear which turns the seatbelt warning on. it's turned off once the seatbelt is pulled far enough out which i did a couple times to shut the buzzer off. Putting a bag of groceries on the passenger seat causes it to go off too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdQ3aju4BCU

It should be noted that the video doesn't accurately convey how loving loud the god drat thing is.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

IKillForPie posted:

I put a hold deposit on a 2015 Focus ST-3 I'm going to take a look at next weekend. I've been shopping around for a few months and finally found a great deal just a few hours away from where I live. I'm pretty excited :)! I've been waiting to decide since the news of the RS coming to Canada surfaced, but since my local dealership jacked up the price $5000 off sticker price it just really helped solidify my decision to look elsewhere.

Dealers here are advertising them at sticker, but that's still fifty thousand loving dollars

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/2016-ford-focus-rs-extremely-limited-quantity/1110524537?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

quote:

Fully Loaded Price: $49,664 + Taxes & Fee's!!
(and yes it's less than an Sti)

except the 2016 STI still starts under $38k. The CLA 45 AMG is only $50,600. the GLA 45 AMG is $50,500 and both of those got bumped to 365hp this year.

Ford canada is out of their god drat mind.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dr.Caligari posted:

Jesus, Is CAD scaled up that high, or is it just grossly overpriced is canada-land? $50k is just a hair away from a new corvette here.

Over the last year, our dollar dropped from $1 usd to $0.75 USD.

We were getting hosed hard on prices at par, now they took away the lube. We're also in a recession, so it's going to be a decade before wages adjust for the lovely dollar.

Still, you can get a BMW M235xi for less than a focus RS. It's about $47k in the us or $48k in canada.

It took 5 years for prices to adjust down with our stronger dollar, and most companies seem to be taking their time to adjust back up. ford on the other hand...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wicaeed posted:

I thought the 2016 RS3 hatch sedan was coming to the U.S.? :confused:

Honestly though, it's going to be priced at 50k+ (more like 55k), and IIRC it's nothing you can't get with some mods & a tune out of an S3.

It's basically priced dead center between the A45 AMG and BMW M235i in europe, both are about $48k US.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's only about $2500 less than a GLA 45 amg in canada, which has 30 more horsepower. the old 355hp GLA hit 0-60 in 4.2 seconds, and the current one is 375hp. It's also about $10,000 more than the base WRX STI.

it's going to be a pretty hard sell here, when for $2500 more you can get far better performance, and for $10k less you can get similar performance.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Calidus posted:

Is the RS priced crazy high in Canada or are the GLA and STI priced lower than the competition?

It's just ford being a pile of dicks. In canada, you can buy nearly 3 base model focuses for the price of 1 RS. You can buy more than 3 base model mustangs for the price of 1 GT350R.

In the US, you can only get 2 base model focuses for the price of an RS.

When our dollar hit par, it took 5 years to even get near the par price on cars. now that the dollar is fallen again, some manufacturers are slowly adjusting back up like they adjusted down, but on niche stuff, it's an instant gently caress you.

The price of similar 2016 vehicles:

FoRS: $46,969+dest($1700-$2200) for a total of $48,669-$49,169
Golf R: $39,995+dest
GTI: $29,595+dest
Audi S3: $45,400
CLA/GLA 45 AMG: $51,700
BMW M235i: 51,812
WRX STI: $37,995 + dest
lancer evo GSR: $41098

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

scuz posted:

Into the brake booster!?! I don't know anything about cars, please explain why brake booster :hb:

You want to feed it in through a vacuum line.

I did it to my car and didn't get any smoke or anything. boroscope in through a spark plug hole didn't show any difference either.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You losers and your transmission synchros completely disconnecting you from the true mechanical nature of your gearbox. why even bother driving at that point, you might as well be riding the bus.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sigma X posted:

I'm having more trouble deciding if that's a false equivalence fallacy, "proving too much" fallacy, or just a straight-up strawman than I am if you're just being a twit.

I'm just saying the proper level of automotive purity is my level of automotive purity.

Having soft metals align your gears for you on every shift removes the involvement. There's no benefit to being able to select your gear yourself if you don't have a pedal to push, a stick to wiggle, or rpm to match to road speed. If you're not going to rev match and float gears, why even bother wiggling a stick at all?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

How do the integrated exhaust manifolds work, is it just one port exiting the engine?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's got launch control, Just use that at every stop and you'll be fine.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KillHour posted:

Yet the story is still "Nobody in the US wants a small fast car!" Bullshit.

Well, Focus RSs are just sitting on dealers lots. Much like how they originally wanted to sell 4500 05-07 ford GTs, but could only sell 4,038, nobody wanted them so they just sat in showrooms with $75,000 market adjustments.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Pell posted:

The dealers around me all have them sitting there because they have 10-20k markups on them and aren't willing to negotiate. I'm sure they would sell at MSRP without issue.

:thejoke:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I doubt there's much of a business case for the GT350 or ford GT either.

If you focus entirely on the balance sheet, you end up with FCA which is pretty much just jeep and ram now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Chevy had it figured out in the 70s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg0fShIQIpQ