Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Devyl posted:

How long has the GTI been stuck at 200HP now? It's about time to bump it up, VW. They're great cars, but it's about time to catch up with the rest of the world. Even the R model is under-powered for the price.

The GTI loses bench-racing wise but I have never found it to be underpowered. The clutch and stick are not great, but power isn't awful. The next one will have slightly more power (like 220?) and the performance pack version will have 230, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Bovril Delight posted:

Why can't we have nice things in the US?

People already bitch about the GTI being underpowered and over priced and it would cost quite a bit more than the GTI. There isn't a market that makes sense, unfortunately.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Zuiko-Digital posted:

Do not own but would love to have one, my favorite hot hatch.

Volvo C30

I really wanted one but it actually sucks. I wanted to like it so bad, and I am a Swedish Car Apologist, but it just... ugh. Volvo makes bitchin seats, and the exterior styling is pretty neat. That's about the only positive to the vehicle.

In news nobody cares about, picking up the new vehicle this afternoon! I will take some pictures and also do a review of how stupid MFT is.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Bob A Feet posted:

Let me see that interior!! MFT isn't bad, it's the ST1's 1990's radio dash set up that is bad (aka the not MFT one). It doesn't look bad its just...wonky. I wanna see what yours looks like. Did you get recaros?

And also yeah I looked at those Volvo things and they look cool but loving spending $35k plus for something that isn't anywhere near competitive with the ST/MS3/GTI let alone the things in its price range (Golf R, STI)

You can get one pretty drat well equipped for about 30. The price is competitive in theory, the car just isn't.

I got the ST3 solely for the Recaros (and heated seats). They are great seats. The rest was just gravy. I think I have a '13 about as loaded as you can get - ST3 with a moonroof. MFT is relatively easy to figure out if you sit down for a bit and fiddle with it. It is a little tough for me to reach the top right corner from my preferred driving position. Haven't even tried fiddling with Nav much. Sync is really easy to use provided you understand the command structure. That's way better than using MFT as far as I can tell. I originally test drove the ST1 and I agree, the dash was designed for MFT not whatever standard radio is in the ST1. The steering wheel controls are terribly integrated with MFT. I'll take some pictures tomorrow, if I get a chance.

I'm coming from a BMW 1-series, so there are some fit and finish things that just don't compare. The ST is basically taking a Focus as upmarket as possible, whereas the 1 was taking BMW as downmarket as possible. You end up with some bits in the 1 which were way nicer than they should have been, and some things in the Focus which are way less nice than they should be. Car drives nicely. Everything's got to settle in a little - clutch engagement is still a little bit of an adjustment and raw, and the brakes are a bit grabby in a bad way. It's quick. Haven't really had the chance to beat on it yet.

Is there any way to disable the upshift indicator? That thing is stupid.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Would you be willing to say what you paid?

I don't mind. $27,297 including destination and a $1000 incentive. That is not including tax, title etc since that varies state to state so I figured it wasn't necessarily relevant. Invoice $27,653 before incentive. TMV says $27,5 after incentive is good for my area.

I didn't play hardball too much with them, but the dealer I worked with was way under stair-step target for June and I think that helped work a deal. I probably kicked them a few extra bucks. It was also a '13 - I'm not sure '14s are on lots yet.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Holdbrooks posted:

can I play?

old pics from before I got the new lights

Is that a wrap, plastidip or paint?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

omgitstheinternet posted:

Previous owner of a clownshoe Z3 M Coupe, possibly soon to be owner of a Z4 M Coupe. BMW hot hatches are the best hot hatches. I've always been more of a sedan guy, but that fat BMW hatch rear end gets me going.

If the 1 had been available as either a 3-door or a 5-door I would not have gotten the ST.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

pindleskin posted:

They're saying it's vaguely possible we might get a Volkswagen GTD in the US, which is like a GTI but with a diesel engine. This is the most awesome hatch I can conceive of.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2014-volkswagen-gtd-diesel-photos-and-info-car-news

I like and hate the GTD. As a Fast TDI I think it's great. But you're basically saying "Let me take a GTI, which is slow, and make it slower, and also heavier. Then I will give it good gas mileage." I don't know, I don't really think it's that awesome, especially considering you can figure on a price premium. Make a Sportwagen GTD and then we're talking.

Bobfather, nice post on the tunes. I may check something out.

I liked the Golf R but didn't feel it was better enough at anything than the GTI to make it worth the extra money. I miss some premium touches in the BMW (bottom-hinged accelerator, better sunroof controls, better dead pedal) as compared to the ST, but frankly Ford can keep the six bucks that it would cost to make the back doors soft touch. I went for the ST3 in part due to the interior improvements and "mature" appearance.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KakerMix posted:

Nah, it was the full-on ST3 package. The problem I had wasn't with the seats, it was the layout of the dash, the placement of the gauges, the general feel of the inside of the car. This was the same day as the test drives of the GTI and R, so the differences were pretty stark to me.
As for mods for my R, I'll probably do the LED rear light swap. I'm mildly interested in the 'stage 1' tune from APR for the R, but my dealership is not friendly to the tune (I asked them directly and they follow VW's lead) for warranty purposes.

Yeah, and those features were worth it to me. The Focus ST is probably the best hot-hatch out in NA right now when taking price into consideration, I simply couldn't look past the bits that annoyed me. Nothing but love for my Focus ST hot-hatch bros!

Word, the Golf R is a Golf that does all the Golf things better. It just didn't fix anything I didn't like about the Golf. Even with really good pricing, I couldn't get past the whole "you want WHAT for that, again?"

But I am weird and wanted five doors, so that is part of what pushes the R in to Silly Money territory.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'm going in for another purpose tomorrow so I will check on parts status at my local dealer. Not sure if mine had the fix pre-delivery or not, so I'll also check on that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm going in for another purpose tomorrow so I will check on parts status at my local dealer. Not sure if mine had the fix pre-delivery or not, so I'll also check on that.

I went in right when service was shutting down so didn't get much answer. First they said that they hadn't heard poo poo, then the TSB only applied if you were actually having issues and I told them I'd keep an eye on it. I don't think I've experienced anything that would warrant a new motor mount.

Not really keen on (that particular) dealership as a service option after that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Laranzu posted:

Make a quick 1-2 shift under moderate acceleration. Your engine will slam all the way back and make a huge bang accompanied by wheel hop. The stock mounts on STs are horrifically flimsy. Its TSB 13-6-10

I found it! I usually putter out 1-2 really fast since I tend to be driving around town right now or on the highway. I'll have to get it scheduled. Can't believe that made it through testing.

That Z4M is pretty bad rear end. I would probably prefer a different color though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bobfather posted:

Literally the only thing about the Focus ST I dislike is that the turning radius is horrendous, easily the worst of any car I've ever driven. It makes parking the drat thing a huge chore, and I'm not sure how it passed muster since the car is essentially a European hatch (that has to deal with all the space confines of Euro countries).

Aside from that it has been totally awesome to own. Time will tell if it remains a reliable car, but for the first 18.5k miles it has been trouble free, except for some non-essential service bulletins (for the shift banging, for the instrument panel cluster, and a new one for ST3 models only for some side-markers that don't illuminate properly).

The turning radius and the rear visibility are my main issues with the car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Laranzu posted:

I'll say it again. If the ST2 came with HIDs I would have done it to avoid the terrible infotainment system.

The st2 has mft, though. The recaros are great.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Stew Man Chew posted:

Why did Ford go with the Aston-lite styling for the Fusion, and the Fiesta... but not the Focus? I really love that grill :(

The Focus was released first.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Will it spoil me posted:

So for my first car, Im thinking about getting a Mazda3 hatch and throwing some mods in there like a bigger air intake. It doesnt have to be super "hot" or fly past the billion WRXs I see on the road in my area, but the insurance cant be any where near close to an actual Mazdaspeed3. Being a young male, insurance is by far the biggest bitch. So would this be a good move? And if so, what are some other mods I can do to increase pep and handling without breaking the monthly bank?

My quote on the ST was shockingly decent, have you shopped quotes yet? By the time you drop some money on mods that don't really do much, you will be in ms3 territory already. Unless insurance is really that bad (thousands per year more), I don't see the point. Spend a bunch of money to destroy your resale value for little gain instead of buying the car you actually want seems silly.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Don't count on DSG coming to North America.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bobfather posted:

I unplugged my sound symposer and haven't looked back. The cabin is so much quieter now! I found the symposer was coming online no matter what at 1500-2000 RPM, even if my driving was slow and relaxed. I don't need to feel like I'm always driving quickly.

Where's it located?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ill take a look. I realized I don't give a gently caress how the car sounds and would prefer it to be quieter.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Is the turning circle on the Fiesta similarly hilarious to the turning circle on the Focus?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

After driving a rental Altima for weeks, returning to the Focus was nice. the recaros have to be the nicest seats available on a production car for the money.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The e-diff is basically good enough or whatever and there are a lot of pain in the rear end things that cost money other than just the hardware (think things like training for service, warranty SRTs and poo poo).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The recaros are great on the ST3 but if money is tight or whatever they're not worth it. I was coming down from a more expensive car so it was basically house money to me and I love them. MFT blows though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Speaking of, anyone know offhand what will fit on the ST for minimum wheel diameter?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sepist posted:

Ran into an annoying issue with my ST - I can't put more than 40 cents of gas in the car without it constantly clicking on me and shutting off dispensing. You can hear gas gurgling in the neck so there must be some kind of evacuation issue...or spiders

I had this issue with one specific style of gas pump, so just in case you always go the same place or whatever I'd check on that first.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'm right in Ford's target demo and they are barking up the wrong tree with their thought processes. I live in an urban area that drives my income, which means I can only have one car which must serve my commute needs, my fun needs and my storage/hauling needs. I also don't want to park a particularly nice vehicle on the street, since I had a BMW get keyed. I'm not any more likely to buy a Ford, but I am highly likely to buy the same class of vehicle again. It just so happens that at present, Ford makes one of the best vehicles in the class. If the ST didn't exist, I'd probably have bought a GTI or Speed3, and neither of those purchases would make me more likely to buy a Passat or a CX-9.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sepist posted:

I guess the guy who broke my reverse lock out gear on my ST did me a favor. I took it back to the ford dealership - turns out before I bought the car they had an issue with the stick, so they swapped it out with a stock focus stick, I had no idea! Ford is swapping it with the Focus ST stick and replacing the broken reverse lock out free of charge. Still not sure if I should complain to FoMoCo directly for the dealership modifying a brand new car before I purchased it and not telling me.

Yes, you should complain to the OEM.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The good thing is that with market pricing you probably won't have to pay much of a premium for a higher trim since options never hold value.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sepist posted:

5 miles home, didn't die! gently caress these tires in the snow though, gotta figure out where I can store these rims

If you get them changed over by a shop, a lot of tire shops will store them for you for a nominal fee (I think I paid $40 for the changeover and $20 for storage).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I have lovely aftermarket 16" alloys for my snow tires on my Focus ST and they look like rear end. I am going to plastidip them after this winter. Color thoughts? I'm thinking some sort of heinous electric blue color.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

What color is the car?

Duuuuh somehow managed to edit that out. It's black.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'm going either electric blue or orange (DS3 style) for the winter wheels. I'll post about it when I get 'em done this summer after I take the wheels off.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I never get why people put snows on the stock wheels. A set of steelies and TPMS aren't that expensive, and then you get to drop down a size or two for that sweet, sweet cushy sidewall.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Powershift posted:

It makes sense if you run aftermarket wheels in the summer. why have a useless set of stock wheels sitting around?

Fair enough. Anecdotally I haven't seen too many STs of either type running around on aftermarket wheels, though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

joe944 posted:

I do a pretty even mix of street and highway driving. Overall average is about 21, although I've seen 25 on longer highway cruises. My buddy has a 13' and we managed 27 on a trip to reno.

Yeah, the gas mileage was the straw that broke the camel's back for the WRX for me, and I also found it significantly less comfortable than the ST on the freeway. For reference, my commute is a mix of city and highway in the Boston area, and I'm pulling 27.5 right now.

Also, I can't live up to Vermonter stereotypes. Too many WRXs. Right now in the office parking lot there's a Mk6 GTI, a 2007ish WRX and my ST. Not bad. Just need someone to get an MS3.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

skipdogg posted:

We all love to talk like we'd buy one, but when it's put up or shut up time, they don't sell. You can't tell me you would drop 45K on one of those. High dollar niche cars like that just don't sell well enough for them to bother with bringing them here. I vaguely remember the 2004 R32 not selling very well when it was released. I could be wrong on that though.

poo poo, the Golf R ended up being too spendy for what I was getting, and there's no way this costs less. Part of why I bought the ST was the money-where-mouth-is factor.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Butt Wizard posted:

2) The wheelwell intruding into the driver's foot space means I can't full depress the clutch in running shoes. Time to go kart boot shopping.

This makes no sense - there's a dead pedal, but that's not the wheel well.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I've never understood the obsession with three door hatches.

edit: not making GBS threads on your car at all, it looks great. But the whole thing with anything that comes over is like "WHY DIDN'T THEY BRING THE THREE DOOR???" and I don't even get it. I moved from the 1-Series to the Focus ST in part to get the two extra doors.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

veedubfreak posted:

People are losing their god damned minds because the '15 R is 4 door only. The only reason my current Golf is 2dr is because I got an awesome deal on it and didn't really care how many doors it had. Although somehow it costs me 10 bucks more for insurance because it is missing 2 of the doors.

I should buy a new R just to spite those people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The really inconvenient thing about hauling poo poo in the Focus is that the cargo cover is really bulky and there's nowhere good to put it. Usually I can leave it at home or whatever, but that's not always possible.