Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
This thread is perfectly timed, I'm in the market for one of these right now. I did a test drive round up of the big three (GTI, Speed3, Focus ST) and for comparison also checked out the Toyobaru and Genesis Coupe 2.0t since there were in the price range and similarly "sporty" if not nearly as practical.

The GTI had a great interior and more upmarket fit and finish, but felt a little sluggish and has the most conservatively designed exterior. As the former owner of a late-model Audi the upkeep cost on them was also a factor in the back of my mind too. The Focus was shockingly impressive. I came in with an admitted anti-Detroit bias but it really delivered. The powerband was smooth, the interior nicely appointed and it sounded amazing to rev. It's still a little too neutral in the exterior design department for my taste though. Right now I'm leaning towards the Speed3, it was a great balance of power, cost, and sheer smile generation when I pushed it. The style is polarizing, but right now I'm driving a gen1 Scion xB so I'm very accustomed to getting to love a goofy design. My real problem now is biding my time and seeing if the new 3's get a speed variant or try and get a good deal on the current gen.

edit: grammar is your friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Since you don't drive manual one small thing to note is both the MS3 and ST are six-speeds instead of the more common five-speed. This means in addition to the extra gear reverse is located on the upper left of the clutch.

Fun fact: to get into reverse with the MS3 you push down and shift, to do it in the ST you pull a small metal ring up and shift. Don't confuse the two like I did and then promptly stall out when it doesn't actually go into gear.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
FiST / FoST question. I’m very close to getting a Fiesta, the 0% APR Ford is offering is a big plus. I see it ends in early July, does anyone have any idea if this is something Ford does regularly to attract buyers or should I try to jump on before it ends?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
^^ Many thanks, this was exactly what I was looking for.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

howling_mad posted:

Is the Fiesta really that close in price to the Focus?

I think you may have just gotten a hell of a deal. Not only are Focuses (Focii?) hard to come by, they didn't seem willing to budge too far from sticker. Last I looked a few months ago the dealers in my proximity only had two among them. And then inexplicably carmax had one too which seemed odd.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I'm interested in a FiST but I also would like to be able to tow my motorcycle occasionally. Is this a terrible idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I think bike + trailer would only be ~600 pounds so I think I’m good on weight. I’ve looked over some of the FiST forums and there seem to be a few options, I was just wondering if anyone here had firsthand experience with it.