Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

mafoose posted:

My friend with the regular 1.6 Fiesta just put the $250 Ford Racing suspension on the car (new struts and springs) and it is an absolute riot to drive!
And it isn't bad on these terrible AZ roads.

Still has quite a bit of roll, it could use bigger sways probably.

Do you happen to have a link to this? It might tide me over until I give in to an ST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Is the turning circle on the Fiesta similarly hilarious to the turning circle on the Focus?

My non-ST fiesta has issues U-turning in a two lane road, I'd assume the ST isn't much better.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

I drive a non-ST Fiesta, and it's definitely not a car you want to buy if you're worried about feeling cramped. I've driven with four full-sized adults in it, and it was definitely not very comfortable for anyone. Two plus a dog might work, but the dog will need to have some pretty good manners. I love my car, but there's no getting around how small it is.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

My only worry about the RS is the price, i'm afraid it's going to be super high :(

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

That's also assuming you get the same amount from the private party sale as you do from a dealer trade-in, which is definitely not true.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

As someone who owns a black fiesta, it shows every single speck of dirt. Scratches also stand out quite vibrantly. I don't think I've managed to get the thing truly clean since I bought it.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Bovril Delight posted:

Try a Focus with the titanium handling package for turning radius. It's 40'.

This was one of the things that kept me from a Focus ST in their first year of production. I keep hoping it gets better, but I guess we'll have to wait for a complete revamp.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Man, I wish any dealers around here were even close to that. I'll have to keep my eyes open I guess.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Kind of a weird question, but how long should the battery in the key fob last? I started getting a "Replace Key Battery Soon" warning light on my dash this weekend. I got the car new in May '16 and it's got about 8800 miles on it.

The factory battery only lasted me about 9 months in my fiesta, but the replacement is going on 2.5 years now.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Local Ford dealer has three RS's in Stock. Time to go take a look!

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

xsf421 posted:

Local Ford dealer has three RS's in Stock. Time to go take a look!

If anyone is looking for one, there's still two black RS2s at the dealer here (Detroit area). Blue is definitely the best color though.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Huge_Midget posted:

I ordered mine back in December and it's being built this week in Germany. Now that I have a VIN and a build date, waiting for it to get here in May is going to kill me.

I was floored when I walked up to the dealership and there were three sitting in a line out front. No markup either, just asking sticker price.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Larrymer posted:

Which dealer (I'm local)? Did they let you test drive one?

Pat milliken Ford in Redford. They let me do a short test drive, about a mile around the block. Both the ones they have left are black rs2s with moonroof and the 19 inch black wheels I think.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Eifert Posting posted:

What is the hivemind thinking on the veloster? I like the design but never heard anything positive.

I'm honestly not sure why anyone would buy one when you could get a Fiesta/Focus ST for basically the same price.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

wolrah posted:

I put 30,000 miles on a leased 2013 2.0 6MT. It wasn't terrible. The 1.6L and the automatic were both horrible, and unfortunately with the second generation (where they significantly improved the chassis) they only offered the manual with the 1.6. Had they still offered the 2.0 (especially the updated GDI model) with the stick I might be driving one of those.

Lol, look up the Fiesta ST cabin filter change process. It's not fun.

Hint: it involves sitting upside down in the passenger seat while swearing at Ford engineers.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

KillHour posted:

People with an RS: What are you paying for insurance?

I got an online quote from LIberty Mutual for $300 / month and an online quote from Geico for $110 / month, same coverage. :psyduck:

I'm probably going to pull the trigger next week, as soon as my bank gives me the go-ahead on financing.

I've never gotten a good quote from Liberty Mutual. I pay $141 a month for full coverage (USAA) on my RS in Michigan. I held off on buying it until I moved out of Detroit because I got quoted $375 a month.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

PaintVagrant posted:

I am in a neighboring city to Detroit and pay around 180 a month for my FiST with a super clean driving record and being old as gently caress. Michigan has some really hosed up tort/insurance laws for sure. $141 for an RS sounds amazing, I should call USAA and see what they can do for me.

Yeah, 31 with nothing on my driving record, living in Redford. When I was living on the east side of Detroit, Liberty quoted me $3600/6 months for my Fiesta Titanium.

e: Regarding the Renegade, it has some issues under heavy braking. It might be a bit front-heavy.

xsf421 fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 25, 2017

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

fyodor posted:

Hey check out the correct answer below:

a used Fiesta ST is the best deal on the planet.

There's one listed 10 miles from me for under $13k. You really can't go wrong for that price.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Congrats man. Looks just like the one I got a couple weeks ago. Don't kill yourself on the cup 2s in the cold!

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

The dealer I bought mine from 3 weeks ago had three RS2s sitting on the lot for MSRP. They're definitely out there.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Etrips posted:

So given that I haven't driven a sporty car in 10+ years and the likely hood of a dealership actually letting me test drive an RS is out the window, is there anything even remotely close that I can test drive that would be anything like it?

My dealer let me test drive an RS without hesitation. Just call around and find one that will let you.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, you're going to want a GTI. The fiesta is great, but it's like 6" too small in every dimension to be practical. Test drive the focus ST too, but the GTI is likely the best of the bunch.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

How tiny is the Fiesta really? I was driving a Mazda 3 sedan before; would it feel a lot more cramped than that?

Fiesta shares a chassis with the Mazda 2, so yes. I'm not a small person (6' 200lbs) and I drove a Fiesta hatchback for 5 years and it was fine. If you ever have to haul anything around it might be a bit tight. If you like small cars, check it out, but most people in the US don't like small cars.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

prom candy posted:

The concern for me is people plus cargo (mainly hockey), and also the possibility in the future for 2 adults, big dog, and a kid going to visit relatives for a few days. If that's feasible I would strongly consider the Fiesta, I love the way it looks and I love the price.

This was really it for me. The fiesta hatch was fine 75% of the time, but I play ice hockey 2-3x a week, ski, and golf. When I was trying to get two people plus gear for any of those around, it was very cramped. That's actually one of my big criticisms of the RS I bought, the AWD system under the trunk makes for less cargo space than a normal focus or ST. If you're just commuting, or only tripping with 2 people, a dog, and some luggage it'd be fine.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

PaintVagrant posted:

I think I mentioned this before, but is anyone interested in a set of meticulous gloss black FiST rado's with basically brand new (3500 miles) stock pilot sport A/S tires on them? Factory setup including TPMS. Local pickup in Metro Detroit.

If only they'd fit over my RS's calipers. I need to pick up some wheels this fall for winter tires.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

PaintVagrant posted:

Wrong bolt config/offset/etc. I assume. They are 4x108

Durf, you're right. RS is 5x108, but needs 18" with a 50 offset to clear the calipers. It would've been nice to have relatively cheap snow tires.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Christobevii3 posted:

Would your tire warranty cover it? I'm thinking about moving to 17's on my veloster and being able to run 45's. Low profiles don't work with Louisianas road infrastructure.

235/35/19s come stock on the RS, and it's absolutely terrifying on Detroit roads.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

veedubfreak posted:

Stopped off at jack in the box on my way to see Fate of the Furious today and there was a baby blue RS in the parking lot. My god, that car just SCREAMS i'm breaking the law. Also surprisingly larger than I thought it was.

I'm honestly amazed I haven't been pulled over yet. Now that the weather is warm I drive everywhere in drift mode :rice:

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

PaintVagrant posted:

Hrm, good question. I poked around their documentation and it doesnt mention it, but there are tons of forum posts saying it does remove rev hang to some degree, some folks thing it removes it entirely, others say partially. Some blame the dual mass flywheel for some of the hang, others say its purely a fuel mapping issue.

Regardless of all of that, it is definitely gone or greatly reduced on my car. Huge difference, felt it immediately. I catch myself sometimes braking jerkily now as the characteristics of the engine braking are changed. To be more specific, it actually seems to engine brake now.

I might have to look into this sooner than I wanted to, the rev hang is annoying as hell.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

dissss posted:

Are you saying insurance on the Hyundai would stay the same if you mod the piss put of it? I don't know how insurnace works where you are but that doesn't sound right

I've never given my insurance company any info about my car except the VIN.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

veedubfreak posted:

Unless you're missing an arm or leg or both, everyone should know how to drive a manual.

Having a manual transmission is one of the best theft deterrents around.

Everyone here just uses a flatbed + winch to steal cars :shrug:

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

SerCypher posted:

I bought an RS despite only ever haven driven a stick once for an hour with my friend.

Probably a bad decision but I can drive it around town now without too much issue. Gotta still learn how to go fast.

Paint looks really good. Better than it does in pictures. If you get one get the blue.

edit: I hosed it up

As a fellow RS owner, my first recommendation is mud flaps. I out some rokkblokz on mine and I think they came out pretty decent. The inside of the front fenders gets chewed up fast.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

SerCypher posted:

These ones?

http://rokblokz.com/ford-focus-rs.html

I live in Orange Country, so the roads here are relatively nice. Still, those big sticky tires probably pick up rocks and stuff. Are they something a novice could mount? Do you have to take the tires off to do it?

It might be better for you, I live in Detroit and a lot of our roads are just covered in gravel. They can be tricky to put on without taking off the wheels, you really need a Phillips bit for a small ratchet to do the rear ones. I'll post a picture a bit later, I got the black ones with no logo on a blue RS.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

I'd forgotten how normal the ST looks after seeing my RS every day.

(oh god it's so dirty)

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

GutBomb posted:

A golf R or focus RS aren't economyish cars...

I was going to say, my RS is faster and gets worse gas mileage than my friend's challenger R/T. There isn't much economy about it.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

back to your original question: minis are bad

This, and I couldn't fit two sets of hockey gear comfortably in a mustang GT.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

PT6A posted:

The Golf R is the one that likes being pushed. It actually scared me a little, the salesman did things I would've been scared to try in a Mustang. All in an understated hatchback, with a stickshift and AWD. It's exactly what I want in a car (except for the price, which makes me sad).

Driving my RS around in drift mode really makes me appreciate how good the cup 2 tires are. I feel like having cheaper all seasons on it would be truly dangerous.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

my company does vw partner pricing. so golf r invoice is $34229 - $500 = $33729. but i dont think the dealer i used last time will pay off my loan if im getting $7000 off what they're listing them for. they dont seem that desperate to move them.

invoice on a sport is $26875 - $500 = $26825 which is higher than what either sheehy in va or heritage vw in baltimore is listing theirs at(sheehy: $23491, heritage vw $24460). so unless i'm missing something, i dont see much value in the $500 below invoice deal unless they're going to knock another $500 off. im far from an expert at this so....

The internet list prices probably include incentives you don't qualify for. They like to throw things like military appreciation and recent college grad discounts in to get the lowest number they can.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

RS 5000 mile update: still rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

From what I've seen, the LE will be $5k more to start, but include the RS package. The dealership I bought my RS at has another two right now for MSRP, and I've been reading some of the higher volume dealers are even going below MSRP.