Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Doesn’t seem like they are going to revive the MazdaSpeed name with it though :/

Ironically I’m ready to get rid of my 2014 Mazda3 2.5L hatch. There is nothing actually wrong with the car and it’s a great sensible daily, but I bought it used a couple years ago and didn’t have the time to try and find a stick. I hate not having a stick and even though I live in a highly congested area even in normal times my commute is short and opposite most traffic. My first car was a mk5 GTI and it got me hooked. Really I regret being ‘sensible’ when shopping this car and not just pulling the trigger on a new st3 focus st for like $26k or stretching way out to an RS that foresight would have told me I could probably make work. So instead now I want to do something real dumb and source as clean as possible mk4 R32 so that all the molesting of it by replacing suspension and other dumb poo poo can be done by myself. I was kind of hoping to be able to watch the market on cars slowly fall during covid but it seems like more enthusiast types are holding value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Radiohead71 posted:

Interest level rising! I will check this car out for sure when it is out! C/D says no handling upgrades, just mo power. How does the 3 handle already? Sounds more like a luxury model than a performance based hot hatch.

My 2014, which is the prior gen, felt sort of squishy to me stock but I was coming from a GTI on coil overs. I replaced the suspension and it’s much better to me after :) For what it’s worth though, Mazda’s handling tends to be at better end of the spectrum for non performance cars.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Warbird posted:

Not a hot hatch, but what do you all think about that new mid engine Corvette?

Lacks a pedal

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

God drat that's a cool trick

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I wish there was no rust, but that’s extremely hard to find on them. I am very tempted to bid on this guy and make it my new daily, or just molest it a bit doing dumb poo poo like a turbo on the VR6

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9a0aOwPD/2004-volkswagen-golf-r32

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I empathize with you bud. When I totaled my GTI I was pretty distraught for a bit, but ultimately I had no one to blame but myself which does make it slightly different. As you say the best part about cars is the emotions they invoke in us, whether that’s looking at it in the driveway or shifting the gears or just casually cruising, all of it factors in to why car people love their cars. Sucks man.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I extremely regret settling for my mazda3 over the new FoST I was looking at or a FoRS almost 3 years ago. I got the safe sensible more budget friendly option and I regret it everyday!

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Rusty posted:

Would be interesting if it had something besides the normal 6-speed auto. Seems pretty torquey though.

Monkey paw will curl and it’ll get a CVT next :negative:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

There is a car buying thread in BFC I think.

I can speak to that scenario a bit heh. My first car was a manual mkv GTI that I adored until I totaled it. A few years later when I could afford another car I got a gen3 mazda3 hatch, sgt with technology package absolutely loaded 3 years old with 30k miles. The car was very good at being an appliance and even slightly sporty, but I did not hold out my search for a manual and that really killed the car for me. It grew to the point that every time I left my house to go for a walk and seeing that car in my driveway I would be super resentful. I *think* it would be better with a stick, however I still don’t think it compares to the same way that I felt my GTI really encouraged me to flog it a bit.

I will say the Mazda was extremely reliable, but I did start with 10k less miles on it and was driving a lot less when I owned it, I put almost 20k miles in a little over 3 years and outside of oil changes and tires the only things it needed were a battery and a knock sensor. The build quality and touch surfaces were noticeably improved over my GTI from my perspective, but it was also a 7 year newer car.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Personally I think the GTI at multiple different brackets is the most 'logical' choice for a practical daily that's fairly reliable (at least ones that are new enough and low enough miles to be considered for a daily) but still is fun to drive and engaging to provide a bit of experience for someone that likes driving. They seem to always "make the most sense" to me heh. Multiple times while I was searching for my silly manual E91 I thought to myself I should just be reasonable and buy a manual GTI and it will be perfect and everything I really want/need out of a car.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

prom candy posted:

I love the DSG in my GTI, although I was never the best at driving stick anyway, but coming from a manual I don't miss it at all. Also if a GTI is what you want then just get one, don't be an idiot like me and get something you think is more practical just to trade it in a few years later for a GTI.

I disagree about the DSG, but the second part is big agree. Buying the ‘sensible’ ‘reasonable’ ‘practical’ mazda3 hatch with an auto instead of a FoST made me very sad and 3 years later got so tired of seeing it I sold it. If you care about cars enough to post ITT you will regret not getting something that at least makes you a little heart racing, makes you want to look back at it when you park.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Pretty sure on an IG post or in a podcast humblemechanic kind of poo poo on the crank walk thing as being extremely overblown by the community. But I can remember where I heard/saw it exactly.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Deviant posted:

hello yes i would like to pay your mother for a pair of VW plaid pillows

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I’m pretty serious, two plaid throw pillows would be sick

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

But we are throwing out tesla because their fans not the founder (like he's not event he founder but sure for public he is but anyway he sucks rear end too it's just not relevant)

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

wolrah posted:

GR-Line. All the visual bits, none of the performance bits. Every other brand has some garbage factory :rice: "-Line" offering that's all show and no go, of course Toyota has to get in on that action.

Isn't that the Apex edition corolla lol

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I mean Toyota was the one donating to the ones that voted against certifying the election and condemning the attempted insurrection. Maybe he thought Honda would try and distinguish themselves!

e;fb

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I see a fuckton of 86/BRZ/FRS on the road I have no idea what you are smoking and honestly a lot of Supras too for the meh product that it is.

Why would people be buying 2020/2021 86's though when the second generation has been announced with a whole boatload of improvements along with it being expected to be coming for a while before it was official?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

BraveUlysses posted:

they aren't selling any 2021s, they simply kept selling the 2020 model until they ran out of inventory like a month or two ago

This even better helps make my point! Lmao

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

The fact they cancelled the regular golf means not a chance in hell for polo GTI, way too much investment to federalize that. :(

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Aircon and radio volume should always be real buttons (also preference to like driving dynamic stuff like traction control too being buttons) and all the multimedia poo poo can be touch screen because 99% of the time I drive with the screen completely off. The loving Tesla precedent of just a single gently caress off big iPad is the worst god drat thing. Also capacitive touch steering wheel buttons are the dumbest loving things, nubs and textures allow you to differentiate while focused on the road which is the whole drat point of steering wheel buttons!!!

Wheels should just have an option to disable all buttons tbh. They were better before they got poo poo added to them, like dumb pesky airbags. (This last bit was exaggeration in case it wasn’t obvious, but I am an old man yelling at clouds about poo poo going too far)

The only good modern tech whatever thing are backup cameras and I was very anti them too at first, but living with modern cars with ridiculous C/D pillars they are kind of actually helpful

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Ya if I had a stick in my 2.5 mazda3 I wouldn’t have ever sold it it was really great in so many ways.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

If shift is in your area check them too. They gave me $3.5k more than carvana was offering for my Mazda3 back when I sold earlier this year.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah it's a seller's market now, you're not getting any advantage whatsoever selling your car if you gotta turn right around and buy another one, not worth the hassle in the slightest.

Unless you plan on taking the bus or biking to work until the market calms down but who knows when that will be :v:

Or have a motorcycle in the garage…

And at least in my case the weird specific car I was listing after wasn’t hit too hard by the current market beyond it already had a big car need premium.

thehouseplant posted:

Thanks for this. Looks like Shift won't make an offer for a modified car. If I de-tune it and put OEM exhaust back on it (un-check those two boxes on the form), it looks like they can do about $2300 more. Definitely an interesting comparison.

Yep I swapped my suspension back and got way more for a few hours of work. FWIW I think it’s very much an individual experience on the inspector they send but 100% I could have not touched my car at all and dude would have given me full value, all he checked was start up and tread depth, but he also was only a month or two there and definitely knew very little about cars. That’s a YMMV thing though, and personal ethics I suppose a bit.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the hatch on the new Civics is way more of a fastback lookin thing than a practical hatch to me. already was true of the previous gen but it seems even more pronounced now. its like a poor man's 3-series GT

Agree and I hate the trend. Even my 3rd gen Mazda3 was getting that way. I want the squared off for the useable space!

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Ok Comboomer posted:

volvo and merc can’t go EV soon enough IMO

Well I’m pretty vehemently anti EV. I just bought my hopefully forever daily last month heh. Manual RWD E91, little bit of roof slope but still plenty squared and much room for activities.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Ok Comboomer posted:

:patriot:

nobody's bought a volvo for its powertrain since 1994, and 90% of mb's motor design goals would be best met by electric drive

neither's shipped a car with a manual in years, so

Volvo was 2007 I believe with the last V70R. I was also considering one of those, I’ve always loved the volvo design language and grew up in 3 different volvo wagons, 240/850/V70

Probably buying my mom a merc wagon in the next couple years for her ‘last’ car. And I suppose I’ll take it over eventually as well.

To me the anti EV is largely infra/range/refueling based. Along with the not interested in that power delivery, been in a million Teslas and others over the last decade and they don’t appeal to me at all. I’m much more interested in praying to Ferdinand that Porsche can figure out synthetic fuels.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Residency Evil posted:

Man, I didn't know you were in your 90s. :v:

The guy I bought it from was legitimately over 80 :v:

And something something don’t make em like used to and I just want to dump whatever money into keeping it running forever

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Residency Evil posted:

The Hot Hatch Discussion Thread: Brotherhood of FoRSkin.

:sushiyes:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

If you buy one without the recaros you might be able to pick up some from a pick-n-pull as those and the FoST (which I’m kind of assuming seat mounts will work cross platform but probably Google that) are cars that def got made in numbers but also hooned into poles and poo poo. Making the heated part work might be harder, but personally I’ve never used heated seats.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

It’s not Automotive Insanity because of all the reasonable, rational decisions being made. GOSH.

That’s why I sold my 50k mile gen 3 Mazda3 hatch with ACC and all the modern features you’d expect from a new car today really. I then spent 50% more to buy a 10 year old 84k mile BMW wagon with a minorish accident!

I’m all for drive the poo poo out if the thing you love, but I can also totally understand not wanting to have to rinse the undercarriage constantly of a car you like. People talking poo poo saying ‘just a stinger’ (lmao at first I wrote just a singer which would be some real flexing) are honestly kind of not cool, if that car is special to OP where they want it to last longer and not dispose of it as well as not have to rinse the drat thing constantly in the cold rear end weather, then we should probably be like ya man get a winter car, save your nice car, enjoy your nice thing how best gives you joy! Worrying about idiots losing control of their cars and slamming into a car you really like I think is pretty understandable!

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

salt and rust is a reality of owning a car

Laughs in california

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

:hellyeah:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Ok Comboomer posted:

signed the loan paperwork for a 2015 FiST in performance blue today

now I get to wait for the Mass RMV to spend a week getting me my plates and poo poo

Do a burnout!

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

:hellyeah:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Man I want a dumb lil abarth now, they seem like such hoots

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Rolo posted:

lol that plate.

My first thought too lmao

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Slow car fast owns

Hell ya man! One day I’ll trek out and hit up the dragon

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Goddamn I wanna be your roommate too. That garage owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Love the wookie noises. At some point I’ll add a mk4 R to my garage but man those prices are going absolutely bonkers. The mk5 was a great car though, and I’ll forever love it’s bubbly shape heh. That’s a great price and you definitely should do it!