Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Koni Shocks
Spax Springs
Corksport SRI+TIP
Forge V2 BPV
Interior LED kit

I think its tastefully done, nothing extreme.

Besides the only thing that shows on the outside is the lowering, still not sure most people on the road even know the difference between the Speed3 and the regular Mazda.

Edit:

Everyone screams about the torque steer, it's not near as bad as everyone claims. Try holding onto the wheel instead of using 1 finger hooked in the spoke

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Aug 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Sepist posted:

Decided to black out the car, just finished plastidipping the wheels. Very easy to do, knocked out all 4 on the car in under 2 hours. Gotta get tints on the brake lights and I'll be all done

Had mine plastidipped as well, did a horrid job though even with 4-5 coats a rim.

I think there was some air/water trapped underneath and one of the rims started to peel around the air-bib-connector-thing.

Rear valence however has 3 good solid coats on it and has lasted a year, along with the emblems

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

My first few cars also had one, 90's Ford and Mercury

New one has a push-down lockout

And have driven plenty where there was no lockout, but you had to manhandle it way over past 1st gear, but we're talking Porsche and Ferrari here.

Normal people would try looking for the lockout, not find it and try pushing down, then try maybe edging it into reverse ... failing that ask the customer

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 6, 2013

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

My 02 Mini-S was like this.

Oh I'm sure there are tonnes that don't have a 'on/off' style reverse lockout.

Reminds me BMW also did that, not sure if they still do

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

bobfather posted:

AWD would certainly help, but then the base price of the car would be closer to 30k than 25k.

As always, the drag strips are the definitive way to settle what's faster.

Besides of which a good driver in a less powerful car can always beat a crappy driver in a 'faster' car.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Wow, what a special little car. Remote reservoir dampers, plastic fenders, custom-specification tires, partsbin stripper bits where they make sense. They put more thought into the implications of their headlight selection than certain other brands put into the whole package.

That video made me want to move to the UK ...

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Viper915 posted:

Have you actually gotten quotes? Shop around a little, what pushed me into getting a Speed3 over a normal 3 was that it was somehow cheaper to insure than a regular 3. I don't know how or why, but I made them double check like 3 or 4 times while I was going through the rest of the buying process because I didn't believe it.

Yeah I was shocked when I got my MS3 to replace the regular Mazda 3 I had.

Ended up being a difference of like $10/year

Strangely enough my insurance renewal just came in, and it doesn't have anything filled in for engine size/cylinders etc, Not going to complain!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Wheeee posted:

Is there any particular reason the Civic Si is never mentioned around here? Obviously it makes less power than the FI cars in the segment but it also costs substantially less, is still significantly more powerful than the "regular" cars in the segment and has a real LSD unlike most of the competition.

An Si will obviously lose a stop light race to a Focus ST but these are apparently cars focused on spirited driving through curves, where balance and having an LSD matter.

I haven't driven an Si so for all I know its a piece of poo poo, but from the perspective of someone whose favorite old car was an NX2000 the Honda looks like a very solid competitor in a field focused on fun.

My friend has an Si, and the minute he found out I was buying a Speed3 just about pooped himself.

He is a Honda guy, loves his car, but would probably murder me to get to mine.

That should tell you enough about how much the Si belongs in this thread

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Not sure on all this sound symposer stuff.

I'm pretty sure I read that they did the same thing with the BRZ/FRS

If you need a special pipe to make everything sound 'nicer', I just don't know what to tell ya.

Going to fan-boy the MS3 for a second, but it has easily one of the nicest sounding engine / turbo notes out of a sub $30k car... slap on an aftermarket intake and BPV for all the engine noise you could ever want.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

It sounds great with the stock one.

If you had read first, you would have noticed I said it sounds great as is, but will provide more engine noise than you could ever want after the fact

As opposed to having to come from the factory with a sound enhancer :munch:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Laranzu posted:

Spiders.

Filing neck issues are really annoying. Hopefully your dealer doesn't suck.

Kill it with fire!

Wait... probably, aww heck gas tanks these days are safeties built in right?

Just light it up.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Interesting, I'd love to see the numbers for things such as MB, Audi, BMW.

Around these parts its a split

40% Successful business dude.

40% Early 20's something who knows not the value of money

20% Student from mainland

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Wheeee posted:

The most popular new vehicle among millionaires is the F-150.

Higher-tier interiors in the new trucks from the Big Three are getting legit luxurious.

Maybe under 10 million ~ millionares.

It's still Rover central here for folks with money

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

As much as I like my MS3, I think they need to bring back the Mazdaspeed 6

... Wait they are ! *I hope*

http://wot.motortrend.com/we-hear-2014-mazda6-to-gain-coupe-mazdaspeed-variants-281839.html

Although they should stop pussyfooting around and just go twin-turbo V8, cause I said so

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

So this happened.

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 12, 2014

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Oh ya I'm fine, other than my pride!

$8500 repair estimate and a 2 week wait, that's the kicker

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Dr.Caligari posted:

Wowza. What did it run into?

Back end of a WRX

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 13, 2014

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

veedubfreak posted:

Because americans are fat lazy fucksticks that only buy giant suvs. VW can barely sell enough Golf/GTI hatchbacks to make it worth their time. Why do you think most of their ads are pushing the bigger cars.

It's true.

My rental is a Dodge Charger or something, it feels like driving around a godamn 737.

Mind you it's actually not half bad on gas.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Because the Scion is cheap, and marketed towards the younger generation

So if they're not buying 10 year old Civic's, they buy a Scion

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

The only experience I have with Scion brand in general is someone I knew in college, he had an Ion I think it was, and it was an automatic

He'd drop it into neutral at every red light, let it roll back a few inches before taking off. To give everyone else outside the car the impression it was a manual :confuoot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Oh, well poo poo. I imagine if he owned a Scion it would be the same story

Saturn is kind of like what Scion is going to be in 5 years anyways right?