Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Hey FiST owners, I’m looking at a 19 for my next ride when my unkillable Saturn Vue (252k!) inevitably dies. Are Recaro seats worth the hassle to find? This car will be all city driving, year round, and here in Michigan, I’ve never had a car with heated seats, so the Recaros sounded like a nice luxury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

What’s the standard stage 1 tune setup for a FiST? I’ve heard Mountune get thrown around a lot

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I just picked up a ‘19 Fiesta ST with 1,380 miles on it. It has the sunroof option and the premium wheels, but no Recaros, which I’m fine with given how low mileage this thing is. It was apparently traded between a dealership in Kansas and a dealership in Florida, where it was sold. It was then driven about 300 miles in Florida before coming up to Michigan, which is... odd.

It has some dings and stuff, but the interior still smells like a new car. Here’s the head scratcher though: the previous owner put Bilsteins on it. And then never really drove it. Then sold it.

I’m not complaining, because, hey, free upgrade, but I have to wonder what the loving story is here.

I’m very tempted to get a custom plate that says “FRIJ0LE,” cause it’s a black bean. Once I’m out of the Ford warranty, I’ll probably do some light mods. For now, I plan on driving it during the summer and putting it up for winter while my 250k mileage Saturn handles the snow duties.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’ve got a 2019 FiST and it’s very clear that this thing has terrible paint right from the factory. I might go for a vinyl wrap just to protect it. Sorry about your 15.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

With all this said, does the same ring true for an R?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Fiesta shifter is very nice. Miles better than the mustang or the boxster I’ve driven recently, though both of those were 05-07, so take it with a grain of salt.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

C4-C7 corvettes are hot hatches. Unless they’re a convertible or a coupe.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I bought a 19 FiST that some guy put bilsteins in, drove 1400 miles total, then sold. Unicorns do exist.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Could be. This one came from Florida to Michigan, and the owner probably wanted something bigger for the winter. You run the risk of someone abusing the transmission with any manual car though, so why even worry about it?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The important part is that it has a hatch. It’s literally in the name!

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

A fiat Abarth is absolutely a hot hatch

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Anybody fill this out sell their contact info to Toyota in the hopes we get a Yaris GR in the US?

https://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/gr-hot-hatch/

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

We will probably end up with a non-AWD version of whatever making 176 hp.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’d have a hard time justifying a Supra when the Z4 is right there, with better numbers. I think everyone feels the same.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I took the FiST for its first long haul journey and had everyone I know drive it. We: got stuck in some sand, roasted the tires, and found the painful reality of 5 mph traffic on 75 south. My clutch leg is sore.

All in all, it performed admirably. Passed quite a few incorrigibles on the freeway that refused to leave the left lane. My old man was suitably impressed, and that alone made me smile.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

for hatches in the US, you can still get
  • Kia Soul
  • Rio
  • Chevy Spark (shocked this one didnt go away)
  • Prius, (they killed that adorable Prius C)
  • Corolla Hatch
  • Mazda 3
  • Hyundai Veloster
  • Hyundai Ioniq
  • Civic hatch
  • Honda Clarity (some new fuel cell/plug in hybrid adventure)
  • Golf (at least until supply runs out)

Only three of those listed above have a hot hatch option. I'll be taking bets on which one dies next.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Our jeep has the climate control settings buried in the slow touchscreen. I will absolutely refuse to buy a vehicle if it has a setup like that. The FiST has real buttons and a responsive touchscreen, but I still wouldn’t consider it if I couldn’t control where the air went with a physical button.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Sounds like the answer is: buy the Mazda, tune the 2.5 into something more fun.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Fart Car '97 posted:

I have none of these problems with my 2020.

Do you have buttons for the climate controls?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I just want a focus RS. That’s still (seemingly) the best hot hatch made.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I don’t mind the backup camera in my 19 FiST. I’ve had no issues, and it comes through plenty clear. Sync3 is absolutely worth it though, just for CarPlay. I don’t have recaros, which is a shame, but I also didn’t want to wait around for a perfect car that might never appear.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The only major issues I’ve heard of with FiSTs is the blend door actuator, a $10 part in the climate system that fails. I’ve never heard of engines blowing unless someone did some heavy mods, so you’re probably gonna be ok.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

This is an urban legend and doesn’t actually have any impact on rates

The two vs four door thing is real though, right?

Really it’s all a wash for this thread. Everybody’s talking about hatchback econoboxes, so insurance should be on the absolute floor.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

do you guys not think that massive teams of insurance company actuaries have access to a tremendous amount of data and spend huge amounts of time optimizing loss models?

no probably they look on a little piece of paper where they've written "2 doors is cost more than 4"

No.

Yes.

It’s an easy short hand though.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

its not because its not correct! short hand stuff is useful to decision making and this is... not

There’s really no decision making on the consumer side though. So… eh, whatever. Sports cars cost more to insure, in general. They also tend to have larger engines and less doors. Again, it’s all immaterial here, in the hatchback thread.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It’s not crazy to extend the car’s life by limiting winter driving. Salt can be a real bitch, without talking about sand and other drivers.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

You guys keep acting like I shouldnt be driving my 253k Saturn vue in the winter, and I absolutely don’t get it. Why would I drive my new car in the salt when my old one has plastic body panels?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

KakerMix posted:

Your 253k Saturn Vue was someone's new car at one point, illustrating where your new car will eventually end up. If not with you, then with the next owner or the one after it.
If you only care about visuals then sure I suppose you won't have visible rust, but it's still a Saturn Vue to start with, and the chassis will collapse no matter what the body looks like if it isn't maintained.

As already mentioned, is your new car better then your Vue? Would you rather be driving that? Does it really make financial sense to have two whole (I assume) registered vehicles rather than just having the one better one just to avoid putting miles on it?

The plastic on the Saturn is really the whole reason it’s still around and doesn’t have fist sized rust holes all around the body. It’s kind of a reach to say I’d only be interested in aesthetics without maintenance when talking about : a) a Saturn Vue and b) a car I’ve personally maintained for the past 180k

It’s paid off and costs almost nothing to insure. Is it as fun to drive as the FiST (which also costs almost nothing to insure)? Absolutely not. But it drives, and insurance + registration costs less than a set of winter tires. Extending the life of one vehicle by driving another makes a lot of sense to me in this case because the Saturn is on its way out anyways.

It’s basically what everyone’s saying anyways: drive the car, it’s a consumable. But I can only drive one car at a time, and road salt kills cars fast, plus 6 months of winter, so why not kill the Saturn?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The FiST would be cooler.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I just spent an embarrassing amount of money on an OEM Fiesta ST car cover, a set of branded rubber floormats, and some molded mud flaps. Boy this thing is gonna look great while it sits, not moving.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Really I’d say that’s preference. I wouldn’t break too much of a sweat looking for 15s if they’re not easy to find. Either way, the extra sidewall will give you a softer ride. How many potholes do you hit on the way to work?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Yeah, get the 15s then

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

My 19 came with the B4s on it. They ride nice, and I have no complaints about em. Unfortunately I don’t have the stock versions to swap em with, but from what I’ve read they’re close to identical.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

2016 and above FiSTs get Sync3, which is honestly pretty great in my experience. You could also keep an eye out for FoSTs in your price range.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Rhyno posted:

I think it was mostly how much it was that killed it for me. The new car has been on and off the table so many times I didn't seriously think it would happen. But now that it can actually happen everything in my head adds up differently.

The best color FiST was the blue offered up to '15 so for that color I'd sacrifice the options. But I want the Recaros if possible. Not too big on the FoST though.

The Focus had the best integrated gas door though. Think of the gas door!

I also wish I could get that blue. I might shop around to see if I can get my FiST wrapped.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Cage posted:

What say ye hot hatch thread about this 2014 FoST?

https://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/d/buffalo-2014-ford-focus-st/7360684826.html

The color is a bummer but price seems good.

Seems like a 12k (at highest) car. But it looks clean. Right now is such a hard time to buy cars…

Look at the rocker panels and the interior of the rear wheel well. Lack of recaros should be something to drive a harder bargain.

e: looks like it does have recaros. Still. A 12k car, if it’s clean.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 14, 2021

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

For general discussion: what’s the next hot hatch after a FiST? Obviously, in your opinion.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Volguus posted:

As I recently bragged ITT, I got a Veloster N. Brand new, with 45km on board. Now I got 1000km on it (was away for a week) and it seems to have changed a bit. At the beginning the steering was a bit stiff, the shifting seemed a bit harder too. Now, either I got used to it or it got a bit smoother. Both the steering and the shifting. Is it normal for a new car (never had a brand new car before)? Or is it just me being "broken in" by the car?

I also read on the internets (and the internets never lie ...) that maybe it would be a good idea to have the first oil change sooner than recommended (1-2k km), to get rid of whatever small impurities there may be in there from manufacturing. Is that a thing?

I bought my FiST with 1,400 miles on it, but have never heard that you need to do the first change earlier than average. If that’s a thing, I haven’t heard of it anywhere.

Speaking of things though, does anyone have a recommendation for FiST compatible mud flaps? I bought some molded ones off the Ford Parts website that claimed to be compatible, but they are molded for the base Fiesta body lines, so now I have to pursue the return process.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 19, 2021

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I run 93 or 91 if I have to, but I don’t think it improves horsepower anything more than the stated 197. I’m pretty sure all the horsepower and torque numbers are from high octane fuel anyway.

The positive news is that my gas mileage is so good that I don’t mind spending extra for 93.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

prom candy posted:

91 was $1.70/L here today and it made me glad my GTI can run 87. Might hold off on that tune a little longer.

I assume you’re in Aus. Our government kills people to make sure our gas stays cheap. (About half price from yours, for 93)