Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
On straight, flat roads the ST might get some extra miles out of a ”0” estimated tank. But mine went to 0 just as a I started climbing a hill, and the car died within a minute of hitting 0. The fuel gauge for the ST is very accurate it seems, which threw me after driving Toyotas for years which always had 1-2 gallons left when showing empty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

howling_mad posted:

The Focus ST forums seem to think its not worth getting done if you haven't experienced it yet.

I'm not sure about you but my past dealer experiences, at both of my local dealerships, haven't been great. Damage or nicks to the sill, scratches on the door, worst of all moving my drat seat.

Get it done if you have a good relationship with your dealer, but if they screw something up you kind of invited it. There's several I shouldn't have stories floating around right now.

I don't think the FST guys say don't get it done. I think they say if your car is affected, get it done ASAP because some of those guys have had their cars stall and die at highway speeds (pro tip, your power steering stops working if your car isn't on), or in the middle of busy intersections with through traffic coming.

Basically, (in affected cars) your wiring harness could go at any moment, at best just stranding you somewhere, and at worst causing you to get into an accident. I'm bringing my car in as soon as I get the time, personally.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Seriously guys. The problem is bad enough that Cobb has raised the RPM limit at idle for their tunes to 900 RPM to help guys' cars from stalling.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Capn Jobe posted:

I figure I could talk them down to somewhere in the low 20s. In some ways I'd rather have the Focus, mostly for the storage space, but would rather save a few grand. Supposing I could get one of these at a price comparable to a 2015 Fiesta, is that a worthy option?

You might get an ST1 for low 20's. A new ST2 or ST3 at low 20's would be an unparalleled deal. Most people don't do much better than Ford X-Plan pricing, which for an ST3 is about $25k (before TTL) give or take ~$500-$1000 in additional incentives.

To put it into perspective, I bought a used, but fully-loaded ST3 in 2013 for $23,204 when they were still fairly uncommon and in high demand. My total was $25,200 after TTL.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 20, 2014

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

SFH1989 posted:

The "reliability" issues with recent Ford's comes from the My Ford Touch malfunctioning. It's the only issue my mom's used '13 2.0 EB Escape has had. Most reliability surveys count all issues the same so a light bulb going out is the same as a transmission failing.

I'm sure that's the case. For me personally MFT has been pretty fine. Has occasional issues with slow responding, but certainly by the time the FoST came out most of the issues were already hammered out.

Also, I suppose if you buy a 2016 model year Ford it will come with whatever new in-dash OS they're using now instead of MFT.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

The Locator posted:

Observation on Focus ST after 1 week and 500'ish miles: Really could use a larger fuel tank.

Also, 32mpg highway is wildly optimistic as cruise control at 75mph on flat Phoenix freeway returns 28~29mpg*. I suppose it might pull that off at 55? On the other hand, it doesn't get much worse than that overall in mixed driving, as it's at 25.8mpg average since picking it up and I've been driving it a lot harder on average than I did the old commuter car.

*numbers from car's computer system, I haven't calculated the real mileage from fill-ups yet.

To get 32mpg, you'll need to cruise at 60-65, from my experience.

A tune helped me with gas mileage as well.

Finally, for all that the car is decent in 6th gear cruising at 60-65, your mileage will drop to 18-22 with any kind of city driving.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I actually appreciate how quiet and composed my Focus ST is in day to day driving without the symposer hooked up.

The car can still be heard quite well when you get on the gas, which IMO is all that matters.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

veedubfreak posted:

My commute home is really fun. The first 6 miles are lovely 5-10 mph creeping. I weave in and out constantly because half the tards on the road leave mile long gaps between them and the car in front which just screws up the flow. Then as after that, it's 10 miles of nice open highway that if one wanted they could easily cruise 75. And the popo here knows it. So as soon as it opens up, it's middle lane at 60-65 until I see the 1 motorcycle cop that is in the same spot every day unless it's cold outside.
This also somehow manages to get me nearly 50 mpg driving home :)

I know the impatient parts of human brains can't stand this, but it's scientifically proven that drivers that leave a buffer in front of them during stop and go traffic actually relieve traffic congestion for everyone behind them.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Laranzu posted:

It really enrages everyone behind me when I go the average speed of traffic instead of speeding up just to slam on the brakes again.

It also has the added benefit of unfucking merges due to added room.

I feel you. Personally, I just find it nicer to slowly cruise through stop and go traffic rather than start and stop like everyone else. Easier on my left foot that way, though with the majority of cars being autos these days, you can see why not many other people care to do the same.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

The Hot Hatch Discussion Thread: We all grew into sensible drivers

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

A $60 short shifter plate and some $40 bushings are DIY installable on the Focus ST and basically perfect its shifting experience, according to the internet.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Coolnezzz posted:

Mine does this too, but it's usually the heater on at full blast. Seems to happen most often to me when making left turns over a bumpy road. Annoying but no big deal.

Are you joking? Electrical gremlins are the worst sort. Bring your car back to your dealer and have them sort that poo poo out.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Sigma X posted:

I was talking with the salesman about how I would be tracking it, likely modifying it, and when I went to heel-toe downshift as we slowed to turn onto the slip ramp up to the highway, I caught nothing but air. I did notice that the throttle "hangs", for lack of a better term, between shifts. At first I thought it had a 50 lb flywheel but now I suspect it's some sort of hamfisted attempt to imitate rev-matching.

The FoST has a rev hang feature that can be disabled with a tune. FiST probably does too.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I stopped cleaning the wheels of my FoST and now they look bronze from far away.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

fyodor posted:

how hard is it to find an oxford white focus st? apparently pretty hard! nobody in this region has one for sale. i'll let my credit union's car buying service deal with it instead. ugh.

I love my Oxford White. It never looks dirty from 10 feet away, except the wheels which I don’t wash on principle - and now those look bronze.

Edit: and the car’s name is Shadowfax.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

oxbrain posted:

The stock tune works with regular, the Cobb tune needs 93 octane.

It does not need 87. Cobb has an 87 octane version of their tune, and it still makes more power than the stock programming.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I regularly get 23 mpg on my FoST because my commute is 2.5 miles each way in stop and go traffic.

When my commute was longer (and had more highway mileage) I saw 28-29. 33 mpg in cross-country, 100% highway mileage.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

The Locator posted:

Do you live somewhere with a 55mph highway speed limit? I've never gotten over 28 on a prolonged highway trip except for one leg of a road-trip to Utah that was mostly downhill where it somehow managed 34 in the mountains. But driving Phoenix to San Diego at 80mph (AZ) / 75mph (CA) gets 26-29 depending on the winds and direction of travel, and when I've messed around resetting it to get sort of 'instant' figures, the mileage really starts to bomb when you hit about 70, and gets downright bad at or over 80.

Texas, mostly 65+, but I'm a patient driver that likes to occasionally draft 18-wheelers. 28-29 is typical for the FoST highway, I would say.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

To get a draft from a semi you don’t need to be right behind it. 100 feet is like 10 car lengths, which is plenty of space to maneuver and see around a semi.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I thought the wiring harness fix was the solution to that problem?

For what it's worth, two things fixed my issue with random rev drops: getting the wiring harness fix from Ford, and updating my Cobb Accessport flash to a newer version of the flash that raises the idle rev somewhat. If you have a AP but use a custom tune, you can ask your tuner to make you a tune that has a slightly higher rev rate, if they don't use one by default.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

$138 a month here for 2 cars in Miami. Highest incidence of uninsured motorists in the US, I think.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Looks incredible man! Enjoy it!

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Quite A Tool posted:

So the Ford dealership tried to put me in a Fiesta at drat near 30k (29.5) with their initial offer. I know they gotta start high but gently caress. I laughed and told them that was over MSRP for the GTI I drove yesterday and they came back at 27.5, so I walked. If they can't be more competitive than that I'll for sure end up in a GTI by the end of the week.

I'm sure I'll get a call tomorrow but that really soured me.

Are you sure you weren't looking at a Focus ST?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Etrips posted:

Used 2016 Fiesta ST with 3600 miles and Recaro seats, asking 20k OTD worth it?

No. Look up in the thread people are getting these for like 15k or less.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

South Florida is a wasteland for Fiesta STs, but here's one: 2014 Fiesta ST3 with 17.5k miles for 16k; has mods too

bobfather fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 18, 2017

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Unless I'm mistaken, v500 of the Cobb tune for STs is only for Accessport v3s, meaning my v2 is officially end-of-life.

Stupid thing is, the v2 can load the tunes, but it refuses to flash the tune to the car. Seems pretty dumb to lock out old users, but eh, getting more money feels too good for them.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Eh, I have some FSWerks tunes that are leagues ahead of Cobbs OTS tunes that still program fine using an ap2. It's really no big deal.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

If you want to view data, buy a cheap Android phone and Torque, then mount the phone.

Keeping your AP in your car is asking for someone to break in and steal it. Then you're out $500 and stuck on a tune that lets Ford deny service to you.

Edit: This coming from someone who has been tuning with an AP since 2013, and has recently had his car broken into where they stole literally everything of value - even my spare change.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I think they can create a new stock profile for you to load onto the car after you buy a new AP, but I'm not sure it perfectly matches your original flash.

I also think your AP backs up the original flash if you plug into the computer and load the AP software.

Needless to say, the AP is $20 of hardware and $50 of R&D, sold for a huge markup. You don't want that stolen under any circumstance.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

The new Civic body style is just horrendous. Even worse in Type-R trim. I'm not sure how Honda can look at the beautiful simplicity of the Civic Si or Integra Type R bodies from the early-mid 90s and still churn out this horrendous new body style.

It's super too bad that Japanese auto makers peaked between 85-95. Glad I was alive to drive some of the best cars of that era, though!

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Buy a used FieST and then drop (some of) the cash you save on the Mountune Turbo upgrade. It's my general plan if my household ever needs to buy a second car again!

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Dr.Caligari posted:

It’s been a while since I was without the AP, but even on the OEM map, there is a noticeable smoothness/peppiness to 93 oct vs 87. The manual says you can run 87 though, so I’m sure it’s fine to run it

I was always under the impression any turbo vehicle should be running the 91 or 93 octane...but that’s something I heard like 10 years ago

The AP has a performance map for 87 octane that feels appreciably nicer than stock.

In my ST I run 87 exclusively, since it’s impossible to drive fast in Miami without hitting a pothole or being cut off or merged into.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

sneakyfrog posted:

also, any of you folks play around with forscan at all? looks like you can do some rad poo poo with it.

I used it to enable putting down one’s windows using the key fob on my ST. I’ve also never used that feature after enabling it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

The Ferret King posted:

People that run the Cobb AP on their FoST, do you leave it hooked up all the time? If so, any worries about it being targeted for theft?

Do not under any circumstances leave it plugged in all the time.

1, unless Ford changed the electrical wiring, the OBD port supplies power even when the car is off, so your battery will drain

2, no good reason to keep it plugged in, since you change tunes rarely

3, your ST, being an ST will be a target for theft for people who know cars and target "nicer" vehicles

4, if your AP gets stolen, you’ll need to buy a new one and go through Cobb to get a stock image for your car; said stock image will let your car run, but it won’t be an exact match for your original ECU image; Ford would have grounds to deny your warranty for anything potentially related to the ECU flash