Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

echobucket posted:

Which hotel did you stay at? I'm trying to plan my trip right now.

http://www.stoctaneacademy.com/more/plan-your-stay

Oh, and is there any kind of shuttle to the park from the hotel, or did you have to take a cab? Or did you live close and drive LOL.

I drove from Denver. Staying in the comfort Inn in Tooele. It's really close to the track but about an hour from the prior evening reception.

Everyone that flew also rented a car so no idea on shuttles. About to do the track.

Urban autocross was pretty great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
The Octane Academy in the afternoon was a blast. It was about 74 degrees and beautiful out, after a long winter I'm now sunburned as hell.

You get to do the urban autocross course a few times, twice timed. Placed second in the class at 50.5 seconds. :banjo: Got a bunch of laps on the track and then got blown away by a hot lap in the passenger seat of a Fiesta. The day is topped off with some really fast go carts. The goodie bag isn't half bad either.

Bring a GoPro/Suction mount if you want. You can stick it to the outside of the car, but they wouldn't let it inside due to the projectile danger (might have just been my instructor). Videos might be up tonight, only have the netbook so any editing work takes basically forever.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Atmus posted:

I'm in Aurora. What color is your ST? You aren't the guy I keep chasing on the highway around 3pm some days, are you?

I'm actually in Aurora too. Denver is just easier to say because people know where it is. Tangerine Scream, and probably not me on the highway!

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Atmus posted:

You're right. It's another Ingot Silver one I keep seeing. Oh well. So the academy is worth a plane ticket, rental car, and hotel?

If you have another track nearby that does a good school for less than the cost of the tickets/hotel/car maybe not. Denver to Salt Lake is pretty dirt cheap.

There is something to say for driving your own model of car. It did make me want a Ford racing exhaust pretty bad though.

Warning:too lazy to edit out wind noise or add music or anything. TURN YOUR VOLUME DOWN.

Bought the ion air pro 2 that morning, no time to play with mount points or orientation, sorry about vertical video and view. One lap of each event and both hot laps.

Video: https://youtu.be/1Rip8ik9yHE

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 12, 2014

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
The Speed 6 was really fantastic in the segment. Fast, awd, sedan with a six speed. Not too boy racer. Practical as hell.

It should come back to fill the hole for people like me that want a fast sedan but can't afford (good) BMW territory.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Man I'd kill for that cubby.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

8ender posted:

What would everyone recommend for decent performance all season tires? I need something with good tread wear but that also isn't a slouch for performance. Normally I'd just buy something like the Michelin Super Sports but i have a big commute every day and its Canada. Car is an Audi A3.

A lot of people really like the Continental extreme contact. DWS for all season. Trade off is better snow performance for summer and tread life.

Edit: Tread wear meaning usable winter traction. That wears off before summer and wet.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 6, 2014

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Atmus posted:

My FoST has a problem now. It's idling wrong and tries to die when going from mid-high RPM's back to idle. The CEL is on and the vehicle health report uses a lot of words to tell me 'Take it to the dealership' which I was going to do anyway, but nothing that is actually helpful. I have an appointment for Monday morning (which seems a little far off for me, oh well) but it's disappointing to already have a problem of indeterminate severity like this before the first oil change.

There is a TSB 13-9-7

Mine almost loses it and stalls in hot weather while dropping to idle, but no cel yet to qualify.

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-discussions/10830-tsb-13-9-7-stalling-jumping-idle.html

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

jfreder posted:

I'm not sure I understand how the hill assist makes it harder to get going. It holds the brakes for up to 3 seconds but as soon as you touch the throttle it deactivates.

Sometimes you can't tell whether you actually have the clutch engaged or the hill assist. Which leads to a bog and stall. I've killed my Focus ST a few times even after owning it for over a year.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Focus ST recall out for the stalling/weird idle issues.

Mine does it with ac on when clutching in at lights. The TSB required a check engine light being on.

Recall number is 14S17

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

So without the CEL, no joy? I notice this about once every week or two (noticed it this AM on the drive in), but it has yet to throw a code.

Recall is via VIN. TSB required a code. I haven't seen a vin that doesn't qualify yet

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

whitey delenda est posted:

checked mine and it qualifies, oh boy more time at the dealer!

edit except they won't have parts in for two weeks. jesus

I just moved and this dealers service writer had no idea what I was talking about, had to ask if it was a manual, tried to call the parts person but couldn't get an answer.

Said she would call me back. Never did. I'm in for a fun one.

Anyone know a good Ford dealer in the Florida panhandle/ mobile area?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

whitey delenda est posted:

ongoing Focus ST engine saga: I've called the dealer every week and the recall service parts are perpetually two weeks back-ordered.

It is really irritating. The problem gets worse when it's hot and in loving South Carolina we've got another three weeks of 80+ degree temperatures.

The dealer network isn't even getting the procedures until the 29th. Parts after.

It sucks.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

ilkhan posted:

So out of curiosity and theorycrafting, how much money would it take to get a FoST to a reliable and driveable 435 HP?
And if you could, would you? FWD and no LSD make that sound like a really really bad idea.

Stock turbo on race gas is running out of steam right around 400hp. There is an LSD kit available. I know a few owners who have it installed. Haven't asked how its changing drivability though.

Edit : Wrong about the 400. Thought that was high for stock turbo. Stock runs out at 300 HP.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 27, 2014

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I lied, sorry. The 400HP was with a big turbo. Check out their build threads for parts lists.

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-builds/13221-edgeautosport-com-s-focus-st-build.html
These guys are great, spent a few fridays at meetups they had at their shop.

Another guy I know is putting out some decent numbers :
http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-builds/9422-stacy-brought-you-custom-performance-engineering-edgeautosport-com.html

I'm good with just a tune and maybe an exhaust. The torque is just too much to hook up with much extra power.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 27, 2014

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

bobfather posted:

I know the impatient parts of human brains can't stand this, but it's scientifically proven that drivers that leave a buffer in front of them during stop and go traffic actually relieve traffic congestion for everyone behind them.

It really enrages everyone behind me when I go the average speed of traffic instead of speeding up just to slam on the brakes again.

It also has the added benefit of unfucking merges due to added room.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Drove a Focus ST yesterday morning at an awesome enthusiast brunch. I really, really liked it. Really wondering if it would be worth stepping out of the MS6 for a FoST in the near future.

I did exactly this. Traded my MS6 in for a Focus ST. Missed the MS6 more than I liked the Focus. Especially in winter.

I loved the Focus, but unless your 6 is eating components I'd keep it for a bit longer. There were just little nagging bits on the ST that drove me kinda nuts every day. Car is fantastic, don't get me wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

The Locator posted:

Out of curiosity, what were the nagging bits? I'm just over 13k miles on the Focus now, and there isn't really anything in particular that I can say bugs me about it, other than me being slightly too fat for the seats (but I'm working on that).

MFT. I hated MFT any time I had to interact with it. Mine developed a few nagging squeaks and rattles around 10k. Tiny things about the cockpit that were actually fixed in the 2015 model like the lack of a storage cubby. Then the stuff I can't put into words.

Edit: Just thought of one. Less comfortable over long distance drives by a decent margin.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jun 24, 2015