Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

That's just cruel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kill-9 posted:

Wrap? Don't all the cool guys PlastiDip now? Or are we back to wraps again? I can't keep up.

Either or anymore. You can get decent vinyl on Ebay for the same price as a full car dip kit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mafoose posted:

There was some claims of plastidip ruining clear coat. I don't follow it enough to know if it is consistent happening.

Also, I think the texture in the dip makes it harder to keep clean than vinyl.

The main guy claiming PD was ruining his clearcoat has locked all the comments on his Youtube videos. The theory is he was using rattlecan clear, dipping it and then peeling it off to make it look like the Dip was responsible. The dude from Dip Your Car has dipped his own car like 40 times now and his clear is still intact.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dude, your face is oily. You should see a dermatologist.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheeee posted:

You're just jealous that he won't have any wrinkles when he's 50.

I wish some word would leak about the Mazdaspeed3 and SRT4.

My face is oily too! I saw a dermatologist!

I wish Mazda would say anything firm about future performance cars.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Linux Nazi posted:

It really isn't though! I got plenty wrong with my physique, but oily skin just normally isn't a problem.

Nobody believes you! Your username should be EXXON VALDEZ.

I am of course just kidding around.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

8ender posted:

It's too bad they aren't still in bed with Ford because we'd probably have a Mazdaspeed 2 right now.

Almost certainly. I keep reading about turbo Skyactive tests but there's not a single concrete word on it actually ending up in a car.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Speaking of winters and steelies, what are good recommendations for those? I imagine they would still be useful for my not-a-hatchback and I figured this thread would have people with vehicles with smaller wheels so :)

Michelin X Ice or Blizzaks. I have Blizzaks on my car for winter and they're amazing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Oh wow. Given my 15-inch wheels the Blizzaks are on discount too. Thanks much

I hate you. For 18" they cost a fortune.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I swung into the local Honda dealer yesterday to pick up some washers and chatted with a salesman about Fits and he was totally upfront and didn't BS me at all. Both my mother and sister have bought cars there with no issues at all. Meanwhile someone I consider a friend that works at a Toyota dealer is being pushy as hell and kind of shady trying to get us to buy a car there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BoostCreep posted:

I guess you can say the same for those terrible Evos and STIs. 40k for a Lancer and Impreza? Are you nuts?

This is a really good point. I mean, an entry level Lancer was a loving pile of poo poo. At least the base Focus is a pretty great car.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sappo569 posted:

The only experience I have with Scion brand in general is someone I knew in college, he had an Ion I think it was, and it was an automatic

He'd drop it into neutral at every red light, let it roll back a few inches before taking off. To give everyone else outside the car the impression it was a manual :confuoot:

Ion is a Saturn. Also I knew a girl who did that. Her transmission exploded one day.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bovril Delight posted:

Mazda 6 coupe & diesel hybrid, MS3, RX-9 are all mentioned in there. I'm not holding my breath.

I've read an article every few months for the last 2 years that makes the same claims as that one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The day it's officially announced, I mean actual confirmation, awd, turbos etc, I will stop buying stupid poo poo and start saving. I want to be the first AIer to own one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bovril Delight posted:

You'll have to beat me first :clint:

I'll beat you with a brick!

For serious, we can be car bros. I've wanted a Focus RS since this

And it's about time we got a chance at them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bovril Delight posted:

Miatas, RSs, yessss

I hope they offer some really obnoxious colors. I want a lime green one.

I want an orange so obnoxiously orange that burns retinas.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In sad hatch news, my father is putting his Golf TDI up for sale as the seating has become uncomfortable for him in his advancing age. It's a 2000 TDI GLS 5 speed manual with 309,000 miles, built in Germany, every receipt, a mpg/fuel log of every fillup, new tires, new timing change, tons of new bits, belts and hoses etc. I know for a fact that 75% of the mileage is highway. We're gonna shoot for $5000. I know it's high but I think we'll clear it just because of the regional hipster love of both VW and diesel.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

I'd consider that If I wanted a dedicated rally car, but it would be my DD also and I really don't want an Impreza for my DD.

One of the reasons I want a Focus also is I can get one in two door trim, I really want a 2 (3) door hatch in the worst way.

I'm pretty sure you advised me to get into the fun car I wanted before it was too late or I'd regret it. ZX3's are restupidly cheap, you'd be silly not to get one. I mean, so cheap that you wouldn't have to get rid of anything. Remember how you found all the cheap Miata's in Florida for me? Well all the cheap ZX3s are in the midwest. There's a half dozen under $2500 in town at any given time.

http://limaohio.craigslist.org/cto/4806314788.html

http://limaohio.craigslist.org/cto/4795344776.html

Both of these have been relisted several times. I'd be shocked if they wouldn't let either one go for $2000.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The SVT's really were amazing to drive so that suspension kit is worth the money.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My father is going to drive me crazy. He has the Golf detailed (not super thoroughly, just a a quick clean up) and polished up. We haven't even taken the pictures of the car and but he tells some guys in his investment club he's going to finally part with the car and floated the $5K asking price. He got an offer for $4500 last night. He didn't accept it yet and is now feeling like he wants to keep the car instead.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

If I get one it's going to be nice with low miles '04 or newer. I know the earlier ones had issues but they got a lot better later on.

Would have to sell the Miata though and I'm having a hard time digesting that right now.

I never really cared for the front end refresh they did in '04. If you're going to sell the Miata you may as well go all in and get an SVT Focus. I'm pondering hopping out of mine because of the $200+ a month I don't need to be spending on it

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Voltage posted:

I'm pretty sure if you don't accept $4,500 for a 15 year old economy car with 300,000 miles, you really, really don't need that money (and could probably easily afford a new one).

Dad can afford pretty much whatever he wants. He's just sentimental in his old age. He test drove a CTS-V and loved that but the seating isn't much better for his back.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

needknees posted:

I'm looking pretty heavily at a Focus ST to replace my old Civic Si hatch. What's the going "good" price for 2014 ST3 models? Local dealer has 5 on the lot but wasn't dealing much. I definitely don't mind traveling a ways to get a good deal.

A few people have been getting STUPID deals on them if you're okay with the base model.

http://carbuying.jalopnik.com/now-is-the-time-to-get-a-stupid-cheap-deal-on-a-2014-fo-1680643716

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm kind of let down by the lack of huge fender flares.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Anything north of $35K and I'm out. Maybe a used one a few years later.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So I am completely underwhelmed by the RS's styling. Am I the only one who feels this way?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

skipdogg posted:

What are you looking for? I'm of the opinion it looks a little too boy racer for me these days.

This
VVVV

Bovril Delight posted:

I was sort of hoping they'd go whole hog with absurd fender flares and a giant wing to go the opposite route of the Golf R.

It's not boy racer enough.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just wanted wheel arches so badly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I still want it too but I'm just letdown by the styling (or lack of). It does kind of make me want wait it out and see if Mazda is bringing anything to the table next year like the much rumored new Speed models.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jesus, I swear I could hear everyone in this forum get hard at the end of that video.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's the difference between playing Goldeneye with a worn-out N64 controller, and playing *insert PC FPS here* with a good mouse and keyboard.

Excuse me sir but Goldeneye is the best FPS in the recorded history of mankind.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
One of my Cars & Coffee buds says the local Ford dealer quoted him $48K for the first RS they get.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KakerMix posted:

My local Ford dealer has bro trucks out front, pre-bro'd and waiting for you to finance them!

I think every large dealer does that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bajaha posted:

Why don't wheels come in brake dust color? WHY!?

They do. If you just quit cleaning your wheels long enough.

As for Hot Hatches, besides the Golf are there any other 2-door hatches sold in the US?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Drove a Focus ST yesterday morning at an awesome enthusiast brunch. I really, really liked it. Really wondering if it would be worth stepping out of the MS6 for a FoST in the near future.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Optimus Subprime posted:

I look forward to trying to pick a used rs up in a couple years. That thing is going to be a hoot based on how much fun the St is already.

Calling it now, the RS is going to be like the G8 GXP and command a huge sticker price even used.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Optimus Subprime posted:

I look forward to trying to pick a used rs up in a couple years. That thing is going to be a hoot based on how much fun the St is already.

Calling it now, the RS is going to be like the G8 GXP and command a huge sticker price even used.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

If you're waiting you might as well wait to see what the new MS3 is going to be, even though it sounds like they may aim more at the STi / Golf R / Focus RS and go AWD. If they do FWD it'll still be a really tough competitor to the FoST - the Mazda 3's interior is so drat nice.

Is that even happening?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Housh posted:

Not exactly hot (99hp) but I pick up my 2013 Prius C Two tomorrow. I'm starting my masters in the Fall and need a cheap reliable commuter car. The last hatch I've owned was my trusty 94 Civic. My current car is a leaky '98 Mazda 626 that is being traded in. This is what my car will look like but with tinted windows:

Booooooooourns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
How can it only be $36,000? I could seriously make that happen in a about a year.