Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Well a jump worked. Guess instead of bacon and eggs I'm running to O'Reilly's for a battery check. Thanks all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

My battery is og from 2011 and apparently still is fine. However it's looking like probably my alternator. Little more than a battery. poo poo.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Travic posted:

What is the consumables situation on the Type R? Accounts vary wildly even for just normal (not track) driving. I saw someone say their brakes lasted 20k miles of city driving.

Holy poo poo if that's actually real. Granted I do mostly freeway driving and it's a manual, but my 2011 GTI still has it's original brakes and just shy of 120k. And yes, they get checked at the shop anytime I bring it in for maintenance.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Ehud posted:

Based on my research so far, it seems like the VVT system and timing chain are two of the biggest concerns. I found a way to check the timing chain tension pretty easily. I contemplated renting a compression tester, but I don't know how much they're gonna let me take apart before they tell me to gently caress off lol. It has a lot of things you love to see in a used car: single owner, unmodified, low miles, southern owned. But it's still a 16 year old car. If I get serious about it today, I'll definitely run it up to a shop for a pre-purchase inspection.

This same lot also has a single owner 2011 GTI with 38k miles. I'll probably drive it too because I've somehow never driven a GTI.

I figure worst case scenario, today is a free day off from work and I get to add a couple of cars to my hot hatch bingo card.

Literally exactly what I bought about 7 years ago, maybe a few thousand less miles. Dunno if I got a good one, but outside of basic maintenance only had to replace the coil packs. Just rolled 120k recently and I still love it.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

My GTI has been in the shop for a bit. Threw a check engine right before my 120k appointment. Thankfully not the timing chain the code said, but still pretty lovely. Cam shaft sensor is out, and the manifold seal at the least. Apparently there was barely any oil when they checked. Light never came on and I have one of the unicorns that's never burned oil.

Plus side is I got an id4 loaner. After about a week I friggin love this car and don't want to give it back this evening. I'd prefer it to be smaller, but the big bastard is fun as hell to drive. My dad visited the other day, let him take it for a spin. He's in the market for a new vehicle and the grin on his face makes me thinks he might be contemplating one now.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Just got a call from the shop and I'm pretty sure my GTI is totaled. After fixing the cam sensor and oil leak it's still coding. Chain and timing is apparently hosed, and they quoted me over 6k to fix it. No friggin way can I afford that, nor is it even with it at that point. gently caress.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Question for mini owners. Since my GTI is basically grounded while I figure things out, I'm trying to get an 08 Cooper s roadworthy again. It needs a new battery, but I'm seeing conflicting accounts online about needing to have a tech program it, which I obviously lack to equipment to do. I saw something about an IBS (lol) system, which seems like a little box attached to the negative terminal, which I do not have. Any advice? Don't want to go but a battery and swap it for it to not work. Really glad I was lazy and never got around to selling it now that my primary is functionally f'd for a while.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Arishtat posted:

If your battery’s negative cable has an electronics box on it near the battery terminal then yes you’ll need to use a diagnostic tool to tell the IBS that you’ve replaced the battery so that the alternator charges it properly. If that box isn’t there then no IBS and no calibration required.

On early 2nd generation ‘new’ Minis (2007-2010) odds are there will not be an IBS module.

If your car does have the IBS module it can be managed using BimmerLink (tell IBS that your replaced the battery with a new one of the same spec) and Bimmercode (tell car you have a different Ah battery from stock).

Thank you! I've been putting this stupid battery off for ages because the only place that did the programming wanted to charge something like 400bux for a battery. I did a deep dive today, and I do not have the IBS, so going to either hit up O'Reilly's tomorrow, or just have AAA come do it, since it's like 15 dollars difference and I don't have to deal with the core charge and return. Wish I had looked into this harder ages ago

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Again, glad I was lazy though, since my GTI might be outta commission for a while. At least with some basic work/tabs/insurance stuff I'll at least have a usable vehicle for a bit. Going to get the battery figured tomorrow, then work on tabs and whatnot after. Have an oil change and fluid scheduled early next week. More than I wanted to spend, but at least it's better than trying to figure out a new car.

Thing has been sitting for close to two years, so I'm sure there's some gunk built up that will take some time to clear out. Tires were still roughly at pressure and it still seems to run pretty smoothly.

Roundup Ready fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 13, 2024

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Replaced the battery today and the mini lives again! Now just to get tabs, swap insurance, rotate the tires, oil/fluids...

Cars suck sometimes.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Arishtat posted:

Nice, it's good to hear about a 2nd generation Mini going back on the road!

Got the battery, tabs, and insurance taken care of. And I got it a basic carwash today. Taking it in for the oil and fluid change tomorrow. It's got a few alarms on the dash, but praying like hell they go away tomorrow. Only 87k on an 08 is pretty cool though, if I can get her up and running proper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Since my GTI basically killed itself, I've spent a lot of time and money getting the old mini back to road ready. Was going to sell it back in the day, but I'm blessing my laziness now. New battery, full fluid flush and oil change, tire rotation, and some more poo poo they discovered while doing the maintenance. Out about a g, but the 08 with 87k miles is back in action! Better than the 7k is going to take to get the VW back up and running. With the price of used vehicles these days I'll fix it. Eventually.

Edit: poor mini sat outside for something like two years. Got it washed, but she needs a legit detail at this point.