Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Anything interesting is never going to be inexpensive ever again.

I know I posted the March Super Turbo earlier in the thread and I should have that (finally) in March, but I do have a maybe-less traditional 'hot hatch', this counts right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Ok Comboomer posted:

https://youtu.be/5IGc28kpDD4

A four-eye Integra counts as a hatch, right?

If the Celica counts then the Integra also counts, it's only fair.
:colbert:

I bought the GT-Four for resell only, it's 100% stock (though it is missing its head unit but the harness isn't cut) including the exhaust (!!!). Making it good and pretty then I'll put it up for sale and hopefully snag a fat profit.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Midjack posted:

I lol every time I see the INTEGRA on the side.

That they did it at all kinda speaks for how not-an-integra-as-people-remember it is, ironic because they are trying to bank on the name.

That the car itself isn't white and the INTEGRA on the side isn't red is the biggest goddamn crime of all. Like goddamn Honda at least put in the tiniest amount of effort to understand why people like the Integra so much.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you too could own a wagon

I could also own a hatch Integra

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i agree you should buy a 2001 ITR

If I'm doing that I'm pulling a Type R from Japan. White, with red :colbert:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Honda wants to sell Integras based on the ones everyone remembers, it's the only reason "Integra" means anything. I don't think it's unreasonable that people expect something more special, Honda is certainly selling it that way.

If Honda wants to cash in on what the nameplate has become then that's on them for not understanding why people might not just swallow what they are selling whole.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

It has arrived :toot:

I haven't had much time with it since its literally just got here, but what a hilarious experience driving this thing. It's a cheap 80s Nissan, but you have these ultra-bucketed seats. No power steering so you're wrenching the wheel at low speeds but that disappears when you get any speed going. You stab the throttle and you get this little shove with the super charger light popping on, then climb to midway up the rev range then the turbo kool-aide mans through your face screaming and whoops you're at readline, repeat.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Bring Your Own Homologation

I sent out the steering wheel for the Celica out to get it re-wrapped in leather.

Now it is correct.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 28, 2022

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
https://pressroom.toyota.com/heat-for-the-streets-toyota-debuts-first-ever-gr-corolla/

Nothing at all about limited numbers, optional LSDs front and rear, manual transmission only.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Red Core model with all the options. Don't care about trying to compete with whatever is going to happen with the Circuit edition re: 'scarcity', especially since it is mostly an appearance package.
Both my wife and I are going :hmmyes: since our V60, while pretty and a wagon, just is too boring, not exciting enough and not efficient enough either. We've been away from modern cars so long (last new car we had was a 2013 Golf R we both liked quite a lot) that how new ones just scream at you when you get within 5~ feet of anything, not allowing you to get comfortable with the car before it yelps is just a bummer.

Plus I mean cmon:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

LMAO you have to upgrade to a more expensive package on the new integra to get a manual transmission.

e: wait, you have to get two upgrade packages to get a manual. God drat Honda is loving this up.

Yeah but have you seen that new GR Corolla :swoon:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Midjack posted:

The Corolla GR is what I wanted the Integra to be.

And it isn't relying on a 4 foot vinyl decal, it's instead a new vehicle, new name, just done in a throwback nostalgia style and selling itself so much more effectively.

It's really neat to see Toyota do what everyone else claims isn't worth doing.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Nothing about the GR says "nostalgia" to me. It's very much a modern hot hatch that's selling itself on its performance credentials.

EDIT: Honda is the one relying on nostalgia by using the Integra name!

That's exactly what I am saying though? Toyota has made a brand-new vehicle in the style of stuff they used to make without relying on a nameplate (or paint color) that Honda is for the new Integra. The guiltiest Toyota is on flexing nostalgia is the GR-FOUR/GT-FOUR callback in the moulding:

Otherwise yeah, Toyota is doing it the 'hard, impossible, companies would never' way by making a bespoke turbo hot hatch only available in manual transmission. It isn't lifted, it doesn't have black plastic cladding, it doesn't have a CVT, can't be had in a sedan. This is cool and good, I agree.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

FINALLY can share this conquest with the Hot Hatch (and also wagon) thread. I've been after this specific car for a month and a half now and had to call in a few favors from friends over in Japan and finally, finally got the dealership to agree to sell.
This is a 1997 Toyota Caldina GT-T ST210, a manual, AWD 3S-GTE-powered wagon, completely stock and unmolested. It shares platform with the GT-Four but at least on paper actually makes more power with its 4th gen 3S-GTE vs the GT-Four's 3rd gen (256 vs 242 hp). Lots of people have heard of the Stageas, the Mitsubishi VR4 wagons but not so many know of the Caldina GT-T. I like the GT-Four we have well enough but I feel that, but wagon, is better.
Not too certain on the build month for this (I think it might be September) so I do have to wait a bit before I can bring it into the USA proper. I can't wait.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Thanks for the kind words about the Caldina, I'm unreasonably excited that I managed to snag it off that lot.

Enos Cabell posted:

You have been absolutely crushing it lately! How long do you tend to keep some of these unicorns before selling them on?

As long as it takes to prep them for sale, usually (tires, batteries, deep detail, whatever other maintenance needed). We do only as much as we can handle and chew through them maybe two at a time at the quickest. The Super Turbo we will keep for a bit longer since it's such a unique vehicle and we won't get the chance to have another one any time soon, if at all. It's similar to the other super odd hot hatch we had (that I don't think we've ever shared with this thread), our Daihatsu Mira RV-4:

It's a VW Golf Country but done to a GTI in spirit, and instead made by Daihatsu. Kei class so 660cc, turbo intercooled, 64 hp (the limit on keis), AWD, manual and the reddest seats ever. The pushbar up front is plastic, but the hood scoop is real. This is my wife's most favorite vehicle we've ever imported and also probably the rarest. Insanely little information is out there about these, I've only ever seen one other (in Canada) and absolutely never at auction since. Once we get the Super Turbo sorted we'll see if it can rekindle a similar feeling for her.

There have been remarkably few vehicles that we've connected with, that Mira and the short wheelbase Land Cruiser Prado that we still have and my flings with Diahatsu Ruggers. This Caldina GT-T is different as its a personal conquest with my full intention to keep, it's everything I like about the Celica GT-Four but without the baggage that name carries. It's super unique in the USA and lots of people simply don't know it exists which appeals to my vain attempts at exclusivity and is a wagon, the best configuration that a car can have.

opengl128 posted:

God drat son.

I didn't make it out to my local C&C this weekend, but was looking through the pics and I missed a GT Four :(

Actually saw another white Celica GT-Four with the short wing not a quarter mile from our warehouse where our own GT-Four was currently sitting, they didn't notice I was in a JDM Hilux but it did have its stock wheels!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

MunchE posted:

Summer tires are how you can tell the people who aren't loving around

Same thing about snow tires tbh

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Previa_fun posted:

You could think about getting metal legs. It's a risky operation but it would be worth it.

Adios nerd nuggets

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

No mention of the infotainment cluster at all, they've learned absolutely nothing.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Wagons are welcomed in the hot hatch thread, we have already been over this many times :colbert:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
In one month I shall finally have this car.

It was leaking coolant at the dealership of a friend in Japan who then asked the dealership where it was bought about it. That dealership replaced the radiator so now that's something I don't have to deal with. I knew it was going to be a sooner rather than later thing because in the original pictures the plastic tank up top was browning as Toyota's of this era always do.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Finally, and it owns and owns hard. Needs a few things, tires, refinished wheels, a wash, and to get my Dire Straits CD it ate.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 23, 2023

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Hot drat, what the gently caress !

I posted about it a long time ago as I awaited for it to become legal for import, then again as I had to deal with other not-car related things about it actually coming TO the US, but I should have stated what it is:

1997 Toyota Caldina GT-T, a 3S-GTE powered AWD manual transmission wagon. It's extremely similar to plopping a wagon body on top of a GT-Four Celica, with the major differences between the engines is that the one here in this GT-T makes more power than the Celica GT-Four as well as being an air to air intercooler vs. the GT-Four's water to air. What makes this better, to me anyway, than the Caldina GT-Four (they adopted the GT-Four name it probably should have always had) that came in the next generation is that the Caldina GT-Four was only available with a 4 speed tiptronic automatic thus striking it from my wanted list.

The Caldina shares a very short list of turbo wagons made by Toyota, the only other one I am aware of around this time is the Crown Athlete Estate, which rules with it's 1JZ-GTE and full-body wagon form and is a much more muscle car than my Caldina. I don't think those were available in AWD though, nor were manual transmissions a thing for them either.
This, then, makes the second gen Caldina GT-T very special indeed.

There is a goon running around in Canada I think with an Athlete wagon, maybe they even posted in this thread!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Partial Octopus posted:

I was bored on my lunch break last week and decided to look at Toyota's inventory site. Found a dealer in bumfuck nowhere Nebraska with a GRC. Called them and it was available for MSRP. Got super lucky and picked it up over the weekend.

Really didn't want a black car but beggars can't be choosers. Put 700 miles on it over the weekend. Coming from owning Miatas and 86s this car is scary fast. The engine is phenomenal and has a very old school feel. All the power is above 4k. It really wants you to ring it out. The car feels like it has endless amounts of grip. The suspension is really well tuned for aggressive street driving. It can be a bit harsh on rough pavement but it's very composed otherwise. It's been perfect for the mountain roads in Colorado. The shifter feels great, especially for being cable operated. It has a very mechanical feel. The seats are the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in. I drove for nearly 10 hours yesterday with no butt pain at all. In my Crosstrek I'd be uncomfortable after about 2 hours.

The technology package is dog poo poo. The JBL stereo is terrible. The wireless charger barely works. Wireless Android Auto is a coin flip every time you start the car. The nav included in the package requires a subscription to use.

Overall I couldn't be happier with the car. I'm stoked to get it out to a track day and really figure out it's limits. Hopefully I don't die in a canyon before then.

Man I'm jealous. When the GR Corolla was announced I was certain that would be my next car, but then Toyota said "limited numbers" and I went welp, gently caress that. Part of the reason I committed to getting the Caldina I posted above was directly in response to Toyota forcing everyone to deal with dealers and limited numbers. To add to the true GR angle though:

Just got back from a road trip in Japan with friends, on this: https://tokyonur.com/2023/04/18/roundcat-racing-presents-roundcat-rally-2023/ where I was driving the Jimny (which is a fantastic vehicle, goddamn) but for a leg of the journey I drove a non-differential equipped GR Yaris up in the touge road zone around Guma, Japan. Not having driven a GR Corolla, I can say for absolutely certainty that the Yaris loving rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Mahatma-Squid posted:

Thats rad, was the GR Yaris a rental car? We've got a trip planned later in the year and we're planning to rent one for about a week through Toyota rent a car, but I did see Omoren had a couple too.

It was a rental car yeah. I don't remember what prefecture had it, but I was told by the dude that rented it that there is a specific prefecture in Japan that has GR Yaris' to rent, directly from Toyota (hence the keychain). If I had my choice I'd rent from Toyota directly as I'd expect those GRs to be in much nicer condition than the Omoren ones. Omoren has some radical and awesome cars but they are beat on and you can't ignore than when sitting inside one for a while. The Jimny I was in for the rally seems to have sidestepped this as it wasn't a spicy JDM tuner car like what they are known to rent. If you're getting a GR Yaris, go with Toyota directly.

My ride for the rally normally along with one of the few pictures I have with both of the cars in one shot, spoiler the Jimny was fantastic offroad in a way that no other car there could match INCLUDING the GR Yaris :v::