Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Might go and look at a '20 GTI later today. Had been planning to look into one later this year, but current incentives are making it hard to wait.

Only manual on the lot is a white SE though, neither of which I want. Hopefully if the drive goes well (my fat 6'4" rear end fits) they can order me in a blue S instead.

Haven't owned a VW since my '86 Rabbit, and never purchased new, so this is kinda exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Sitting at the dealer now, might be driving home in a 2019 white SE. After 6k of discounts it's cheaper than the 2020 blue S I originally wanted.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Rusty posted:

Also, the SE is a lot better than the S. I think the '20 still has an actual key and not push to start. Also DCC if experience package is great and the interior is a lot nicer with the larger screen, leather and sunroof. '19 also gets a 6 year warranty instead of 4.

Yup, ended up going with the '19 SE. Never thought I'd actually buy a brand new car, but here we are.

Looks good parked next to my wifes Mazda 3.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Rusty posted:

Congrats, same but in black.

:hfive:

I think I'm ready to start modding now

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm happy to do my own maintenance in exchange for 2 years of warranty. Was a big selling point of the '19 for me.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Sold! I've gotten pretty good at adjusting my drain pan to follow the flow, but I've yet to do a change without getting some on the floor.

Anyone running e85 in their GTI? I live in corn country, so it's readily available here, but I'm seeing lots of conflicting info on if it needs to be mixed, needs a tune, etc.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 3, 2020

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Does the urge to go hammer down constantly ever fade? Because I'm closer to 10mpg than 40mpg.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

a mysterious cloak posted:

It's cheap. Car is 100% standard. 87 is fine for GTIs post-2015, I think?

Yeah, I was pretty surprised to see that 91 wasn't required.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Ran into the stalling issue on my '19 GTI MT. It happened a few times my first week, but I thought maybe I was just getting used to the clutch and loving it up myself. Happened 3x this week though, each time as I was coasting to a stop at a traffic light. Did some digging and found this service bulletin, so hopefully it's not too much hassle to get it fixed.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10169120-0001.pdf

Other than that I'm absolutely loving the GTI, if this is the "boring" hot hatch I'd probably land myself in jail with a FiST.

e: aaaaand service dept just tried telling me that it's normal behavior... this should be fun

gonna print out that service bulletin and head down later

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 14:24 on May 13, 2020

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

TheMightyBoops posted:

I had the same issue and had to bring my 19 MT GTI to the dealer and told them about the bulletin. They said they had to keep it over night to diagnose and then when I picked it up they said their was a bulletin from VW so they updated my ecm. It was ok because they gave me a loaner, but yeah I also couldn't get them to acknowledge it until it was fixed. Since then no stalling.

Good to hear the ecm flash fixed it, I was pretty bummed that they hadn't already heard of the issue when I called in. But I suppose if they had heard about it and didn't flash the car before selling it that would be even worse. I printed out the pdf and will take that down with me Friday morning when I bring it in, hopefully they'll just flash it without trying to reproduce the error first.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG4IaHgqH00

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Seems like the only car I see R owners swap to is an RS3.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm a scared coward that doesn't want to risk losing warranty on a German car, but I really want an Access Port with an EQT tune on my GTI.

e: I should just ask my local vw service desk if they would care

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Honestly I've only owned it for 8 months now, and it still feels plenty fast to me. I'll keep my eyes out for a used JB4 and save the EQT tune for when I've got it paid off.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I don't know the whys, but the Mk7 group on FB is pretty unanimous that the Cobb tunes are trash and you want to get your AP with an EQT tune on it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Does the JB4 go on sale that often? Finally talked myself into buying one, but not sure if I should hold out for a sale or find one used or what.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Rusty posted:

I don't think it goes on sale, I bought mine used and it worked fine. The only issue is you may not get direct support if you buy used which for me was fine since I stuck with one of the stock maps. I don't have it anymore since a mouse got under my hood and destroyed a bunch of wires, JB4 included, but it was great while I had it.

Edit: To be clear, there is a map 6 option you can use custom values on and if you give the JB4 owner your log from the JB4, he will help create a custom map. You can also get help on forums though.

Awesome, thanks. I think I could probably get away with a used unit with just the data cable as I doubt I'd bother with anything past the default maps on an otherwise stock vehicle.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Rusty posted:

Yeah, I was on map2 and I thought it was awesome so I plan on replacing mine at some point, but debating whether or not to get a 2022 Golf R or not, so waiting on that decision.

gently caress it, stimulus bucks are burning a hole in my account, went ahead and ordered a new JB4!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Rusty posted:

Yeah, I was on map2 and I thought it was awesome so I plan on replacing mine at some point, but debating whether or not to get a 2022 Golf R or not, so waiting on that decision.

Is yours DSG or MT? Worried about my clutch on map 2. Also looks like the closest 93oct pump is a 25min drive across town, which is a bummer.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Rusty posted:

Mine is a DSG and I used 92 Octane, you may be able to get away with 91 as well and map 2 as long as you log it and have someone look which is what I did.

Right on, it's supposed to show up tomorrow and I've still got 3/4 tank of 91 anyway so I'll have plenty of time to play around and run some logs before the next refuel.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Bleh, got the JB4 on this afternoon and now it's stuck in limp mode, no boost, and EPC and check engine lights are stuck on.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I think it's probably a bad or loose connection somewhere, just hoping I didn't gently caress up the plug on the bottom of the engine somehow because that one was a bitch and a half to get off. Working with George@BMS to hopefully figure it out.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Well this is just lovely, was reconnecting the pain in the rear end connector underneath the engine and managed to shatter the housing on the factory wire. Pulled the JB4 and taped it back up, and car starts ok now but still EPC and check engine lights, and no boost while driving. Winner is me.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Getting codes 431A and 66FB right now, haven't pulled any codes since taking out the jb4 I've gotta dig for my obd reader

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Man, so do I find a local shop to replace that plug or risk taking it to the dealer? I already hosed it up bad enough to not want to try doing it myself.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Thanks guys, I've calmed down a bit and will do some calling around to find the connector and tool I'll need. I've soldered poo poo on tv circuit boards before, so aside from the cramped access I should be able to manage. I think it might be time to replace my 10+ year old harbor freight jack and jack stands though, felt a little sketchy working under the car with those. Do you think it's risky to drive it around? Seems to work fine other than lack of boost, rpm aren't limited and it can get up to highway speeds so I'm guessing that means it's not in limp mode. I'm gonna borrow an obd11 to clear the codes hopefully later today and see what that does. Anything else I should potentially check?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Got the connectors ordered from ECS, although it's gonna be at least a week before they show up. I got a spare so I can practice on the JB4 plug before swapping out the one on the car. At least they were cheap, and the tool was only 10 bucks from amazon. George the VW tech at BMS said it shouldn't be a problem to drive until I get that swapped out, so that's a relief.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Rusty posted:

But again, it was way easier to do under the car with the plastic guard off.

Hah that is no lie, this is the result of 20 min of trying to get at it from the top before I busted out the jack and stands.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Update on my JB4 boost woes, got the depinning tool and new connector and managed to get that swapped fairly easily with no drama. Unfortunately that didn't solve the problem, so I had to take it in to the dealer. They ended up replacing the boost sensor, and suspect it might actually be related to some stalling at idle issues I had last year. Car is back to stock and running great for now.

I decided before going round 2 with the JB4, I'm going to wait for this VAG connector removal tool so I don't have to worry about destroying the connector again.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Rusty posted:

I posted this before, but I bought a 2019 GTI with a manual transmission and it stalled sometimes at idle randomly. Turns out it was somewhat widespread so I asked for a replacement. They would only give me a DSG which I agreed to, but I also got the SE instead of the S and an extra package with dynamic chassis control which worked out. Your comment about stalling at idle sounds a lot like what I had.

Yeah that sounds like exactly what I had, 2019 GTI SE w/ mt, happened probably a dozen times or so during my first month of ownership. Usually occurred when sitting idle at a stoplight and not in gear, so initially I thought it was a really sensitive clutch or I was just rusty. Took it in and the local dealer didn't know wtf was up, kicked it up the chain and VW told them to just do an oil change(?!?). I was super skeptical, but it actually never stalled again for almost a year until I hooked the jb4 up.

I dunno what I'd have done if they told me to swap for a DSG, I know it's technically faster/better but I really wanted the manual trans.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Rusty posted:

It was hard to pass up 10k in options. I would not have done it if it was a CVT or traditional auto, and also I just wasn't that in to the manual in the GTI and I have a Miata I drive if I want a manual still.

Yeah that's a pretty sweet deal. I ended up with my '19 SE with all the options, window tint, and ceramic paint correction for the same price as a base model '20 because I was ready to walk out the door since it wasn't the color I wanted. I didn't want a white or silver car, and ended up with a combo of the two that I've grown to actually love, though I still probably would prefer the great falls green.

Saw another white/silver GTI with the black 18" pretoria wheels at the dealer this morning, and now I really really want those.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

If you can, try to check out the white silver metallic on an overcast day, it looks absolutely stunning with the right lighting.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Despite several weeks of dumbassery, I was able to get my JB4 installed this afternoon with zero drama. Highly recommend the VAG connector tool, made it super simple to pop that sucker off. First drive in map1 I had a poo poo eating grin on my face the whole time. Gonna spend a few weeks playing around with map1 and 2 then probably run some logs to get a customized map6.

A+ would recommend

e: after trip to work today, definitely going to need some new tires sooner than later.. these all seasons that came with the car are struggling

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 13, 2021

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

does my stupid tuned alltrack count as a hot hatch

:hellyeah:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Sparco wheels any good? Thinking I want to go bronze on my white/silver GTI

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Deviant posted:

I forgot to post, but I put Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on my mk7 golf R and had the alignment done

and it drives like a very different car. :D

I'm trying to put off replacing the factory all-seasons until next spring/summer but posts like this aren't helping.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My wife has a 2014 Mazda 3 and I have a 2019 GTI. The Mazda is a great car, good fit and finish and a great driving experience. It is not a fast car though, and not in the same league as a GTI. Maintenance wise I haven't owned the GTI long enough to compare, but the Mazda has only needed fluid changes so far and hasn't had any troubles at all.

e: should mention a buddy of mine has a 2021 Mazda 3 in that gorgeous soul red color, and it is quite a bit sportier than the 14 for sure. still lacking features that would make it a "hot" hatch, great car though

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 17, 2021

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

dissss posted:

I'd have said it was the other way around - the 4th gen is more refined but less 'sporty' than the 3rd gen was. Same engines, more comfort orientated suspension and more weight.

Well aside from the turbo I guess but while that is quicker I wouldn't say it's sporty either, especially because it only comes with the auto.

I guess I was only a passenger in the 21, so I'll def take your word on that.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

If you're planning to stay mostly stock, except for maybe a jb4 or something, then get a stick if you want. I don't regret going manual at all.

If you plan to go with bolt ons and a tune the dsg can better handle the power and is overall faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I mean, you can sell at an inflated price but unless this is your secondary car anything you buy is going to be inflated in price too.