Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

InitialDave posted:

I'm never sure about test driving hot hatches. I mean, do you drive it sensibly and never get a feel for what the car's really like, or do you drive it like you actually would if you owned it, and come off looking like every other knuckle-dragging test pilot that comes in off the street?

In between. In my experience if the sales guy thinks your an actual buyer he'll give you more leeway with the test drive. Obviously don't go out and do burnouts and clutch drops, but throw it into a corner and don't be scared to rev it above 3K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Ringo Star Get posted:

I got the ST1 because I wasn't a fan of the Recaro seats, and neither was my girlfriend (my passenger 75% of the time) and some of my friends. I wish I could have gotten my ST1 with HIDs or even the touch screen, but it requires getting the Recaros. I wouldn't say I'm fat, I'm about 215, but the Recaros are clearly made for someone who is a thinner than that.

Not sure if it's possible with all the new fangled side airbags and the sensors and stuff, but back in the SRT-4 days seat swaps were not uncommon. The side airbag seats were much more comfortable than the Viper style bolstered seats, especially for heavier/wider dudes. I took a look at a ST2 on the lot a couple days ago when I was getting my car serviced, took one look at the Recaros and said awww hell no. I'm a shorter/stockier/fatter dude that spends up to 3 hours a day in the car and no way would those seats be comfortable.

Anyway, if one was so inclined I'm sure you could find someone with an ST1 that would swap for the Recaros with no problem.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I don't know how the Fiesta ST is selling, but my local Ford dealer has way too many Focus ST's on the lot. They're doing 3K off the 2014's or 4K off the leftover 2013's. Now my kids aren't rear facing anymore I've thought about trading in my Fusion Sport for a base Focus ST, but my wife hates the car and can't drive stick. Plus I still really like my Fusion. 20K +TTL for a base ST though is a steal.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Regarding My Ford Touch, my wife's car was a 2012 Explorer with MFT in it, and while I never had the hatred for the system you see spouted online, it did give us some headaches that I got tired of. It couldn't handle both phones connected via BT at the same time, it would randomly lock up and crash rendering the radio and rear HVAC controls useless, and then it got to the point where only removing the neg terminal from the battery for 5 minutes would get it to come back on. It didn't happen often, but gently caress it was annoying. That's when I updated the firmware again to the most recent version which fixed all of our issues. We just traded that lease in early and leased a 2014 Explorer with MFT and they changed some stuff up a bit. We've only had the car about a month, but it seems much faster to respond, and the interface changed a little. (No more climate control on the steering wheel/instrument panel lcd). I'm not sure if the hardware has improved in the last few years or not, but it feels much snappier to respond.

Most issues we had with the system were resolved with the most recent firmware update though, so that was a bonus. Personally I liked the old 2.x software when it first came out the best, but it was deemed 'too confusing' for the target demographic and they dumbed the interface down a bit in the current 3.x software.

As a counterpoint though, my 2011 Fusion has a normal style SYNC system and has worked perfect the last 3 years.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

That guy is well past the point of where he should have just bought a different car. Not to mention getting any traction on that car will be a bitch. FWD hot hatches are fun, but getting them to hookup is drat near impossible.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

albear posted:

Motor Trend compares the 2015 WRX with the Focus ST.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCVA7_6uzZ0

That was a pretty decent review, I kind of liked that guy. Thanks for sharing

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

For Ford vehicles use this URL and just replace the ending VIN with the car you're looking at. It'll show you a PDF of the window sticker. I use it all the time to see what packages are installed on cars.

code:
http://fordlabels.webview.biz/webviewhybrid/WindowSticker.aspx?vin=1FAHP2KT1DG111757

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

22K for an ST2 with no moonroof is a really good price. There's 2K in rebates right now on them and I guess Ford made a lot of them as they've been selling at invoice or less in my area for a while. My local dealer was doing 3K off MSRP on 2014's and 4K off MSRP on 2013's just to move them off the lot.

My target price on an ST2 with no moonroof or nav would be about 22.5 with the 2K in rebates. If you finance with Ford for 0 or 1.9% there should still be about 1500 in rebates.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Dang. Moonroof and Nav kick invoice pricing up to 26.5. With the 2K in rebates that's still 24.5, Not sure how they're going to sell that car for 22 unless there are some other rebates/back end cash I'm not aware of.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

drizzle posted:

That's cool Audi no one in America would want an AWD turbo hatch or anything

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/02/12/audi-s1-revealed-pics-video/

We all love to talk like we'd buy one, but when it's put up or shut up time, they don't sell. You can't tell me you would drop 45K on one of those. High dollar niche cars like that just don't sell well enough for them to bother with bringing them here. I vaguely remember the 2004 R32 not selling very well when it was released. I could be wrong on that though.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

This is the most definitive thing I've found online.

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-maintenance/18533-official-ford-racing-warranty-thread.html

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Shoot for 4K off MSRP.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Enthusiasts are the fuckin worst.

They're just not grounded in reality. I was reading some old article from 2012 about the Audi RS4 Avant, and the comments were ridiculous. (to be fair is was probably jalopnik)

"Audi is losing so much money by not bringing this car to the US"
"I would buy one tomorrow if it was available"
"I'd totally buy this car" (if I wasn't a broke 17 year old kid)

They love to talk, but when it comes down to buying an 80,000 dollar car, there just isn't much of a market for them. They just want them around so they can pick them up for 20K in 10 years.

I'd love for Audi or someone to be like "OK, get 400 people to give us a 20K deposit and we'll bring the car to the US". I would bet they don't get 400 people to put their money where their mouth is.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I don't think of the R and the Focus ST as direct competitors. The ST is this generations SRT-4, start with a cheap car, give it an awesome power plant, and sell it at an affordable price. (The ST is a way better car than the SRT-4 was) A ST3 trimmed car can be had for roughly 25K with good negotiating. The R looks like it's going to start at 34K and depending on options probably be around 37 or 38K, probably with very little discount. That's STI/EVO/CPO BMW territory. You can compare the two since they're both 5 door hatchbacks, but that 10K difference puts the VW in a different class in my book.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My wife and I change cars every 3 years on average. We lease hers, I finance mine (drive too many miles to lease). Money is cheap to borrow right now and we both enjoy driving nice new/newer vehicles. Not the smartest financial decision, but it's something we choose to spend our disposable income on. Some goons collect warhammer figurines, others anime and comic books. Everyone spends their disposable income on stuff they like, some folks choose to do it on newer cars. Vehicle depreciation can be a real bitch though. My wife's lease is pretty decent due to cheap interest rates and high residual values. My SHO though, I paid almost 20K less than sticker on a 1 year old model with 18K miles. Someone took a giant kick in the balls on that deal.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 11, 2014

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

tijag posted:

These cars are not offered in the US, are they?

The hatchbacks are not, the A3 in the US is a compact 4 door luxury sedan. The S3 sedan may be coming next year as well.

The closest thing would be the VW Golf models.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Springfield Fatts posted:

FiST / FoST question. I’m very close to getting a Fiesta, the 0% APR Ford is offering is a big plus. I see it ends in early July, does anyone have any idea if this is something Ford does regularly to attract buyers or should I try to jump on before it ends?

They change programs depending on how well something is selling. Right now it's 0% for 60 or 1000 cash back, which is about a wash. If you have a credit union you can get a super low rate on it might be worth it to take the cash back, the 0 for 60 is probably a better deal though in the long run. Depends on how long you want to finance it for.

There is only 800 dollars difference between invoice and MSRP on these cars, so not much negotiating room.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

A 2 door Mazdaspeed 6 doesn't make any sense to me. Now bringing back a 4 door MS6 would. The affordable midsized segment is lacking in sports sedan choices.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

That sucks, but cars can be replaced, hope you're OK.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The profit margins on larger vehicles are also much higher. Ford can make 8 to 10 thousand when they sell a truck or Expedition. A new Focus or Fiesta probably makes them around 1000. It makes sense to push the higher margin vehicles when advertising.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I can get a Fiesta ST for invoice all day every day at my local Ford dealer.

edit: Don't be afraid to shop around and buy a car that is a ways away from you. If you can save 3K, spend a little on a plane ticket and a drive back.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 1, 2014

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Car prices are up up up, 40K isn't what it used to be anymore.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

To stereotype a typical tC owner with RIMZZZ and illest stickers plastered all over it, I haven't seen a tC that wasn't being driven by an asshat, acting like an asshat, driving like an asshat in years... and I bet asshats have higher incidents of insurance claims than non-asshats.

It's not a terrible car, but the stereotype of the typical tC owner I have pretty much makes them all asshats. It's like that scene in the movie Role Models... You white? You Ben Affleck. You drive a tC? You an asshat.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Thanks for a link to that site, I went back and pulled the 2003 to 2005 archives to see what the SRT-4 stats were, as I freely admit the majority of SRT-4 owners were young asshats.

No real surprise the WRX, SRT-4 and EVO all score in the red zone on collision and theft

The insurance on my SHO is surprisingly cheap (~900/yr for 100/300/100), but I'm guessing that's more of me being a 30 something year old married guy with a home, 2 kids and good credit... instead of a 24 year old asshat with bad credit.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Last time we were car shopping, I just stopped by to look at a CPO Buick Enclave.. wanted to see the interior layout, the LATCH anchors, crap like that. Told him I had to run and get the kids and then run some errands, guy offered for me to take the car for the rest of the day to see how we liked it. It's a smart sales move as people are quick to fall in love with things and then don't think things through rationally. I declined, but the guy was ready to move my carseats over and everything.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

ilkhan posted:

So out of curiosity and theorycrafting, how much money would it take to get a FoST to a reliable and driveable 435 HP?
And if you could, would you? FWD and no LSD make that sound like a really really bad idea.

I'm not terribly familiar with the capabilities of the stock block or transmission in the FoST. Back in my SRT-4 days, the stock engine and tranny of an SRT-4 could handle those power levels as long as the engine was tuned properly (except for the clutch). Dodge over engineered the poo poo out of that powertrain though. I doubt Ford did the same.

Assuming you don't have to upgrade the internals of the engine or transmission, it would probably take around 8 to 10 thousand dollars to get that kind of power. There are a bunch of unknowns to me like the ability of the ECU to handle things like that, etc. A turbo kit would probably run around 6 grand for everything you need. Another 1000 for exhaust, another 800 for a tune, and a few hundred for some dyno time.

An old friend of mine was making that kind of power with a large 60 trim turbo on the 2.4L SRT-4 engine with a full suite of supporting modifications. (Exhaust, tune, fuel upgrades, full turbo kit, intercooler, etc.) The problem was it wasn't terribly drivable. He drove it every day, but the turbo was so large that power didn't really come on strong until the upper 3000 RPM range, and really needed to be close to 4000RPM, but man oh man 4,000 to 6500 RPM was like a rocket ship taking off. His street tune was around 425WHP on 91 octane, race gas could see him in the 500WHP range. Most people went with a smaller 50 trim turbo... less peak HP, but didn't need so long to spool up. AGP Turbo had the turbo kit to go with back in the day. Good people there.

There were a lot of downsides to that much power in a FWD car. The small FWD tires couldn't hook up at all. I think the widest you could go on a SRT-4 was 235 without modification, and a 400WHP car could roast those in 4th gear going 80MPH easily. It's loving scary to break your tires loose going that fast. That kind of power needed a race style clutch, he had a 4 or 6 puck stage something or other and it was a bit of a bitch to daily drive.

I could go on and on about high hp SRT-4's which would mostly translate to any high HP FWD vehicle, but long story short, it's a loving stupid idea and a waste of money. Some light mods to make the car faster was perfect. The Mopar Stage 3 kit back in the day was really nice and would have been my stopping point with that car. Spending 10 to 15 thousand dollars to have a pain in the rear end vehicle to drive just doesn't make sense. Sell the car and buy an Evo or STi or something. The AWD actually makes the power usable. I love my SHO because of the AWD, when I push the pedal it just hunches down and takes off. No wheel spin, no drama, just go go go.

Some of those SRT-4 guys were nuts. I appreciated the car for what it was, but never tried to turn it into something it wasn't. If you wanted to go fast in a straight line, back in the day you bought a Terminator Cobra and a pulley. Some of these kids paid 22K for the car, and then pumped 15K in mods into it. They could have just bought a fast car with all that money and saved themselves a lot of grief along the way.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The moving my seat discussion makes me realize how awesome memory seat settings are. Both of our Fords have the power seat memory features and I tied them to our keys. As soon as I unlock my car with the remote the seat and side mirrors go back to my preset. If my wife drives my car the only thing I have to change is the rear view mirror. Same when I drive her car. I totally forgot moving the seat was a thing.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The ST's will be fine. I would predict the RS isn't going to sell a ton of units, the price tag will probably be lower mid 30's to start with upper 30's for the top trim. There's not a huge market for a super hot AWD hatch.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Good grief. The rims that terrible or the roads that bad?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

All of the EcoBoost engines from Ford will run on 87 octane, they just pull timing to do so and reduce power output. Fuel mileage supposedly gets worse as well.

I personally hate the way my 3.5L EB engines run on 87, and 93 is only 30 cents more a gallon, so I run 93 in my car.

It's not 'better' for the engine per se, but if you want to get the most out of the car, put the higher octane stuff in.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

GutBomb posted:

So my car has started making a new disturbing noise. It almost sounds like a supercharger whine but obviously don't have one of those. It happens in 4th-6th gear between 2000-4500 rpm only after I've been driving for about 30 minutes. It's only present when I'm on the throttle, as soon as I lift it stops, and it increases in pitch as I accelerate.

It doesn't happen if I push the clutch in and rev while I'm rolling.

Sounds like something transmission related.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Rhyno posted:

So I am completely underwhelmed by the RS's styling. Am I the only one who feels this way?

What are you looking for? I'm of the opinion it looks a little too boy racer for me these days.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

GutBomb posted:

I think in the US the nav and non-nav have the same stereo, the nav is just extra software that's not enabled.

The difference is a 800 dollar SD card basically

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

mariooncrack posted:

KBB is very optimistic when pricing trade ins and what cars are worth

Not only that, the Audi dealer probably doesn't want anything to do with that car, so they're going to ship it to the wholesale auction vs. trying to sell it used on their lot. My last 5 cars have all been Ford's and I've gotten better trade in value trading them in at a Ford dealer than elsewhere. Hell our 2012 Explorer we traded in hit the lot as a CPO and sold in 2 days. My 2011 Fusion Sport I traded in sold quickly as well. The dealer just reconditioned them and resold them on their own lot. They didn't get sent to the auction.

I wish auction sales data was more available. I understand why it isn't, but KBB, NADA, all the trade in value guides are just wrong and set unreasonable expectations.

Anyway, how do you like the S3?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

He's happy, debating a deal after the fact is kinda pointless. I'm of the opinion he got hosed as well, but it doesn't really matter now. He can't go redo the deal.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

KidDynamite posted:

I put a $1000 deposit down on the Focus RS at MSRP. Incredibly easy stuff took around 40 minutes. Now for my impatient rear end to wait until this car is built.

Nice! Congrats!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

It's not like Ford dealers are hard to find. I think there's over 20 within a 45 minute drive of me. I was just at the dealer getting my car serviced and ran into my sales guy, he's ordering them at MSRP no problem.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I have an X-Plan PIN and the Focus RS isn't excluded from it so it shouldn't be a problem. The one I have excludes cars like the Boss 302, GT 500, GT350/350R, SVT Raptor, and the Fiesta S. No mention of the Focus RS

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Ok, so that dealer is being a dick, surely there are half a dozen or more in your area you can contact. I live in a big city so I have probably 20 or so within an hour of me, but unless your in Rural Kansas or something you should have at least 3 or 4 in a reasonable distance. When I lived in Topeka (a long long time ago), it was standard practice to call dealers in Lawrence, and Kansas City when shopping for a car. KC was 90 minutes away, but could be worth the trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

KidDynamite posted:

Oh gently caress, New Jersey requires a visible front plate :negative:

Texas does too, but they don't really enforce it. My SHO was a Michigan car and didn't have a front plate bracket when I bought it almost 2 years ago. Never bought one and have never had any issues from the cops. I keep the front plate under my passenger seat just in case. I can imagine Jersey enforcing it though.