Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

skipdogg posted:

What are you looking for? I'm of the opinion it looks a little too boy racer for me these days.

I was sort of hoping they'd go whole hog with absurd fender flares and a giant wing to go the opposite route of the Golf R.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Manawski posted:

They would have been functional too. The ST has a turning radius comparable to a F150

Our Focus Titanium with the handling package has a 40' turning radius. It really is absurd.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Test drove a 2015 Fiesta ST today with the cloth seats and sat in the Recaro seats as well. Although there weren't as many back roads as I'd like, the salesman didn't mind me getting on it hard.

All the reviews rave about it, but the seating position felt a bit high and the shifter down low. Power was nice for a car its size. Interior materials were meh, and was highlighted that much more with how nice the Recaros are in comparison.

Is it possible to get just the Recaros with no nav/sunroof/painted wheels? I'm struggling to find an example online.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

GutBomb posted:

When I got my base model they had another base model on the lot with recaros and painted wheels. I think the recaros always come with the painted wheels. It didn't have sunroof or nav.

Painted wheels aren't a deal breaker since they're relatively inexpensive. All the ones around here seem loaded with nav/sunroof on every single model. Ford's window sticker site seems down too - Salesman said there were 3 in the state with recaros only but I can't check the stickers.

I know you had an FRS/BRZ before, how are you liking it? I have a Miata, so a similar comparision.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BrownieVK posted:

I always get a free waterboarding session with any trip to the dealership.

I had a dealer rake me over the coals for a rocker trim piece that started to come off and the fuel gauge sensor. They swore up and down that I must have bottomed the car out and that the items were related so they wouldn't cover it. After some back and forth they agreed to cover it out of "goodwill".

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The Locator posted:

I suppose it depends on the dealer you are working with. The dealer I ordered my Focus from is great from a customer service standpoint. We discussed the car I wanted, agreed on a price, and I gave them a $500 down payment. Per our discussions they were free to look for a dealer-swap car, or order from Ford, whichever got me the exact car I wanted.

Once the car was arranged, they told me the exact day it would arrive, and scheduled an appointment to pick it up. I arrived, inspected/test drove the car, signed all the paperwork and drove it home in less than 30 minutes.

This is the second car that I've gotten through them this way (ordering an exact car), and the third that I've purchased from them (my first purchase was an F-150 from their stock). All of them have been exceptionally easy for me. They didn't even require a deposit on the other car I ordered, as it was just a commuter Fiesta, which they would have had no problem just selling if I had flaked out.

I've done the exact same with Ford with no problems. They found one for dealer trade and brought it up about a week after we had first spoke.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Just talked to the dealership where I'm likely to get my R. Turns out the 16 models are going to be only manual.

Interesting. Is it going to be packaged in only 1 option like the '15s?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Call it the "No way Ford would make another hatchback to eat into the Fi/FoST sales plus nobody is buying a Mustang hatchback in the US"

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Mustangchat in the hot hatch thread. :frogout:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

fyodor posted:

So I'm looking at a 2012 GTI and I have a question the seller couldn't answer: how much less pussy will I attract whilst driving it? Quantify, if possible. Thanks.

Can't divide by zero mate

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

AnimalChin posted:

Is it possible to pull a small (4x6) trailer with a GTI?

I really really really want to replace my pickup truck, but I've got some work equipment I need to haul from time to time. I wouldn't be doing it every day, more like a few times a year.

I think the manual GTIs are rated for 2k towing. Check the manual. I've hauled a motorcycle trailer + motorcycle with a GTI and had no problems.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

GutBomb posted:

A few months ago a guy at work crashed his brand new focus st messing around on an onramp in the snow. After a month it was repaired and he said it never felt the same. Then he traded it for a brand new mazda six, installed an exhaust and intake, then traded that in about a month later for a GLI (with British plates for some reason)

He's kind of a douche.

Just imagine how much he got hosed on those trade ins and that he probably financed 40k for that GLI.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Calidus posted:

I will put the BRZ's gearbox up against the Miata's.

No way. I've driven both and it isn't comparable.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

fknlo posted:

I'm usually pretty good about not curbing wheels. It happens every now and then though.

Got some new tires on the Golf today. Continental Extreme Contact DW. Figured I might as well grab some summer tires even though I'll take an mpg hit.

Loved those on the Golf.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

fknlo posted:

The Golf R420 has supposedly been green lit for production.

So if it comes to the US(rumored it will if it goes to production) we'll get to see what the market is for a $50k Golf. It would have to be really special for me to spend that much. For me personally, $40k or so is the most I could probably stomach without jumping up to something else.

Heh.

Agree though, I'd be hard pressed to pony up that much when there are established marquees at that price point.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Defghanistan posted:

No poo poo if this was in NA I would've bought this over my golf R in a HEARTBEAT.
This thing is amazing.
A-mazing.

You need it with the really ridiculous aero package too.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Defghanistan posted:

Ok I hate that spoiler but the rest of it...drat.
Seriously, the day they bring that to the states (never, probably) is the day I trade in my R and buy one. That's how much I like it.

Someone here had one, but yeah, the odds are pretty much never.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

This does not help my decision between a 16 R at all. I really want red, but I know I'll be getting constant tickets, plus the black is sparkly.

The red car being a ticket magnet is pretty overblown. I wouldn't worry about it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Ludicro posted:

I think the graphics look good and you should keep them.

Agreed.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Sunroof is not an option. Stick shift was the reason I waited for the 2016. The fender audio looks interesting, it has a sub the size of a donut spare where the normal spare would be because they can't put a spare in the car due to the Haldex. Ended up getting 72 months @ 2.49, 799 for gpp insurance, 330 for the first 3 services and he knocked down the 7/72 covers everything warranty down to 2300. So basically for an extra 40 a month the car will not cost me anything more than the car payment every month for the first 3 years, and then only maintenance for the next 4. 588 a month kind of sucks but then again, this car isn't going to tank in value like my 11 tdi apparently did.

Upgrades for 16 include loss of driver aid package as standard, no included service, manual transmission, electronic parking brake(15 might have had this), the armrest is still locked. Infotainment is now basically a screen for me to plug my phone into, bigger screen. And for the love of god why do they keep putting continental extremcontact tires on everything. These are like the worst tires Conti makes.

Anyhoo, back to pulling the system out of the car. Driver side speakers are done, amps and sub are done, just need to get the back seat speakers and passenger door speakers and head unit pulled. Then in the morning, I get to go put the stock tires and wheels back on. Then I get to drive as safe as humanly possible for the next week until I get my clear bra.

Addendum. 3m vs xpel.
I was quoted 970 for a full bumper and 18" hood/fender bra with 3m + tint
I was quoted 1350 for a full bumper and 18" hood/fender bra with xpel + tint

Supposedly the xpel doesn't yellow or stain and "self heals" scratches.

Also, dropping 800 on opti-coat pro.

Going full retard on this one.

e2: the opticoat is so that I don't have to wash it every weekend :)

Good lord you got taken for a ride.

Also the ExtremeContacts are pretty good. The ProContacts are the OE mediocre tire.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Where did I get taken for a ride.

Service, god damned oil changes are over 100 bucks at the dealer, and at this point I don't have the giveashit to do them myself
The 30k service is brake fluid/radiator flush + filters and oil. That one alone is around 250. I'm coming out ahead on the service package.
GPP insurance covers me when some fuckface either steals it or totals it out from under me because of the price of the car, and was still cheaper to do through the dealer than through my own insurance.
Tell me again where I got taken for a ride?
As far as price goes, I got it for MSRP which there was really no way around. Other dealers out here are charging 5k OVER msrp.

Still haven't actually had much time to mess with it as I basically slept from the time I got the car home until this morning after being up over 30 hours due to it taking me around 12 hours to put the trade back together with stock stereo and wheels. Removing and reinstalling the stereo was a giant pain in the rear end.

As for the opti-coat and clear bra, I'm having those done elsewhere not at the dealership. http://opti-coat.net/

Where you only got 13k for your TDI in trade? Sure you're not paying a markup, because they hosed you on the trade. I got just a shade under 15k on my trade just a few months ago, and IIRC I had more miles on mine (just a touch under 60k) and I'm sure less options.
If you're financing gap coverage it's because you're upside down, and $800 for gap is crazy. They saw you were thirsty. You're getting a "deal" on the other services because they're making it up on things like an $800 gap coverage.

Edit: It's a fantastic car, but it sounds like you rushed through this, maybe because you were excited, or maybe to own the #2 Golf R or whatever it is, but you can do better on the deal.

Literally Lewis Hamilton fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 3, 2015

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My car has no seatbelt ding at all :smuggo:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

How does the RS have an extra 60 hp over the Golf R and still pull the same 0-60 time?

I'm assuming because it only has a manual option. The manual R is 5.2 vs 4.7 on the auto.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

It might if you use it regularly, but it didn't make a loving dent in the super-baked deposits on my MS3 at ~100k miles.

Did you dump it into the tank? I did this and blew enormous clouds through the neighborhood.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

jammyozzy posted:

That and the crease in the door of the pre-facelift models that made them look like they were sagging in the middle.

Was that ever fixed in the US models before they killed the 1 series name?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

fyodor posted:

My Credit Union's extended warranty can't tell if it's flashed though. :D

Good luck with that - if you go to present a claim under your extended warranty while still being under your factory warranty, they're going to first tell you the manufacturers warranty is primary.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Hot pressurized water?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I'd take the GTI all day over a Fiesta. More room, more power, more refined as a daily driver.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

mariooncrack posted:

They are not currently selling the 2 in the US. I think they discontinued in 2015.

You just buy the Scion iA.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Sad trombone. Time to buy a red one.

Airbags popped? If not, probably not a total because of the value

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

Agreed. If ab are still intact good chance that gets repaired. Two door skins and a fender and paint.

Yeah. Hard to tell but may need a couple hours on the rocker, wheel also may have damage with the way the impact went, but I can't see it.

Looks pretty ugly but everything appears to be cosmetic. On the plus side all of those panels (except the rocker) are damaged enough that they'll be replaced, not repaired. Also they're basically a bolt on affair so no cutting the unibody like a quarter.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

11,300 dollars and counting so far on the repairs. ~might~ get the car back by the 27th. Then I get to sue Geico for loss of value. Which should make the car payments for a year since I'm now jobless for a little while.

Are you suing them because they aren't playing ball on DOV? You'd want to pursue the tortfeasor, their insured. If you won a judgement against them, GEICO would pay it.

Diminished value claims are such a weird gray area and seldom present well for the plaintiff. To a jury it comes across as a cash grab ("They paid for my damages but I want more!" sort of thing) and I've seen several cases where they award nothing.

What are you looking for money wise? You said make the car payments for a year, which if I estimate $300/mo, there is absolutely no way they'll be anywhere near that. If it's anything with 4 figures and up I fully expect GEICO to tell you to piss off. Have they made any offer?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The Locator posted:

If you choose to trade in a car rather than sell it private, and it has an accident on file (no matter how minor) they will instantly downgrade the value of the car by a full category (so excellent to good, good to fair, etc.). So it's pretty easy to determine a diminished value by looking up the wholesale blue-book value of the car and getting the difference between categories. I learned this lesson the hard way by not pursuing diminished value, and then getting to eat a 20% drop on trade-in value down the road.

In theory this back of the napkin math works, but it's all presumptive about something that hasn't happened. What you described at that dealer certainly isn't universal, and a good chunk of the time there isn't any loss history on a vehicle. Carfax, autocheck, etc. all miss a ton of things simply because it doesn't get reported to them.

What I'm saying here is that you can certainly pursue a diminished value claim, I'm not claiming it doesn't exist. I've certainly paid a few in my day, but I've also refused to pay anything if a reasonable amount can't be agreed, and court cases are generally not favorable to the individual.

Edit: dealers aren't using blue book either

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Isn't that to replace the FiST as your family car? Your family will murder you if you make them ride in an STI everywhere.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I'd drive the Fiesta because the noise from the Miata for hours on the interstate will be absolutely insufferable.

Almost as insufferable as moving to Utah, why??

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Invest in fiancé mod.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Also power steering, amateurs

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Pretty soon, you won't even be able to get a clutch pedal in anything anymore :(

Body shop called and VW finally shipped the last 2 parts they're waiting on. ~might~ actually get my car back on Tuesday.

Make sure you operate everything to make sure it's working. Full blast AC, heat, all the radio modes, brake pedal pressure, etc. Always a lot easier if you catch something right up front.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Try a Focus with the titanium handling package for turning radius. It's 40'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Bill Pierre Ford in Seattle is selling a Focus RS for 56k. What the gently caress?