Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

GR Corolla build page is live
https://www.toyota.com/configurator/build/step/model/year/2023/series/grcorolla/

not that there's much in the way of options or colors or whatever lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Mill Village posted:

Anyone see a GR Corolla in the wild yet?

They're not shipping yet as far as I've seen - they're just now going into dealer allocation.
There's been something like 15 VINs assigned for the US so far so I'm guessing we won't see any this year.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Rhyno posted:

i've never bought a set of brand new wheels before.

SWEET. I've been looking at the 18" Fifteen52 Integrales to run when (if, lol) my goddamned GR arrives.
Pics when you mount them!

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Got the call yesterday from my toyota dealer (while I was on a chairlift no less) and my gr Corolla has been manufactured! White exterior black interior core, performance cold weather and tech pack.

Should be here by early Jan!

Sweet! Whereabouts are you regionally? I'm waiting for one from Ohio, so far only two dealerships in the whole state have an allocation (of course not the dealership I'm working with).

Still better than folks in the PNW who apparently haven't even had a single unit allocated yet so I suppose it could be worse?

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

RIP in peace.

I hope you were able to get the info on the fuckwit, and you're not totally out of pocket?

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Very cool, I'm waiting for my allocation; dealer says I'm #1 but who knows what that's worth, I trust dealerships as far as I can throw them.
How do you find the trunk, I've heard there's some goofiness with the raised trunk floor due to the battery placement/extra AWD hardware. Also I'm curious if the lack of a center console is an issue or just something people like to whine about online - I figured if it were a big deal I'd just go get one from a wrecked non-GR Corolla and hack it so that it fits

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Hope you get contacted by your dealer soon

Got contacted today!!!

Told him to get hosed!

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

nitsuga posted:

Sucks but that is absolutely the right choice. Go to hell, market adjustments.

Oh yeah. And like, this dealership had been a no-markups-ever dealership - and because they told me that I was #1 on their list I never bothered contacting any other dealerships. So now I'm pretty hosed.
Might get a JCW Mini so I can still post in this thread.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Testing a JCW All4 Countryman tomorrow but I'm really not interested in that body style as much as the Clubman. There's some good used ones a few hundred miles away from me so I figure I'll try the Countryman out, and if it's fun enough I'll go on a road trip and pick up a Clubman.

Show of hands: still a hot hatch?

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

I sent a complaint to Toyota about my dealer gouging me on the GR Corolla, here's their helpful reply:

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

The JCW Countryman was fun as hell, my GOD the Sport mode is a night-and-day difference from normal mode; the ride is borderline brutal and the acceleration is pure comedy. And if you leave it in Sport+Manual Mode, you *have* to shift - it will bounce off the redline until you do.

They didn't have a JCW Clubman - just a Cooper S - but I did try that out for comparison. It's about 11cm shorter, but some of that is the Countryman's roof rails so in the flesh they don't look that different. What is highly different though is the rear visibility - not just where the barn doors meet, but because of the reduced rear window height (exacerbated if you happen to have the rear seat headrests up).

So I did the sensible thing and left with the JCW Countryman lol

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

So as mentioned upthread I had been planning to buy a GR Corolla, and was going to mount some Fifteen52s that I absolutely love.

I still love these rims but... uh, IDK. Not sure that it works so well on the JCW Countryman I got instead.
Thoughts?

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Yeah pretty much what I thought. Would like to mock these Konigs up but unfortunately it looks like only Fifteen52 bothers to shoot a photo of a rim dead-on center

I reckon these would look fantastic

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Not a hatch. Doesn’t count.

So what do you call it - a liftback like the OG Camry was?

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

I've got a set of used 18x8 MINI GP3 rims to go on my new to me '21 Countryman John Cooper Works. These rims are forged so they should be a chunk lighter than the current rims and I got them for a song since they suffer from a little bit of paint cracking (which these rims are known for). But I reckon I spend a few hundo on getting them refinished and they'll be peachy. There's no other damage (no scuffs/curb rash).

Plan is to relegate the stock 225 section all-season run-flats to winter and run 235 section Pilot Sport 5 once it warms up. I went and played around with Wheel-Size.com - there are obvious changes to the wheel geometry etc but the only one that gives me pause is the scrub radius. Should be fine though............. right?

Anyone know if I should be concerned about a +10mm change in scrub radius?

sarcastx fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 15, 2023

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Dr. Lunchables posted:

De winterized the Fiesta today and took it for a drive. It’s still fun, folks!

De-winterized the Mini yesterday, got this sweet set of used rims from a GP3:

Anyone who's on the fence about ditching run-flats for regular tires with a spare: do it. I can't explain enough how much better the ride is.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Hell yeah, nice ride Arishtat!

I've got a JCW Countryman with the same drivetrain (but AWD), I cannot imagine how much fun it is in a 2-door that's close to 1,000lbs lighter (not the usual fun, that kinda fun that makes you giggle as you nervously saw at the wheel to stay straight with the torque steer).

I have a set of GP3 rims on my car, interesting that the PO decided to ditch them from your car. I love the look (though obviously tase is subjective).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Grabbed a photo by my favorite mural