Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.

smooth jazz posted:

There's some great incentives for the Focus ST in Canada right now.
"Ford Employee Pricing" @ $2620 off and 0% financing.

If they really want to move metal, they'll give me a fair trade in value for my 07 Legacy... it'll be too tempting to resist.

I called my preferred dealer and they're sold out, but will be getting more asap.

Focus ST owners, could I ask what you love and hate about the car?

I would also like to get some experiences with the 2013 Focus ST. Looking at buying one, but holding off until the 2014 for the rear view camera after talking with a dealership here today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005

AvesPKS posted:

Manual cars

If it makes you feel any better, I have been driving an automatic for the last 10 years because of getting sick of my previous manual car.

Went to test drive the Focus ST (the one I am probably going to buy when the 2014 is out), mentioned it to the sales person, then promptly went about killing the car 3 times before getting out of the parking lot. In front of a lot of people. All trying to hide their amusement. :) My graceful exit from the parking lot was a huge panic shift out of first at about 3500 rpm, rocketing into the street.

If you have any friends with a manual car, let them give you a lesson on a weekend. You really want to drive it yourself instead of the sales person. These cars are pretty drat fun to drive.

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
What is the story with getting a 7th gen VW Golf R in 2015? They are doing their initial sale of 500 on January 8th, but what about after that? Any ideas on how long it would take to order one and get it delivered? If there is some delay? I am interested in one (its between the GTI, R, or FoST) and wondering if they will be available around March/April timeframe.

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005

tijag posted:

This is what I'm thinking. If the base model FoRS is about 33/34k then I would consider it over a base model Golf R, but I think in the end I'd take the Golf R. The Golf has plenty of go fast for me, and as a daily driver for a 35+ yr old guy I think the Golf is probably more comfortable and less 'flash'.

If the RS is more than the Golf... well then I for sure would take the Golf.

There is some number, probably like 32k that if I could get a base RS for then it would be a slam dunk over the Golf, but I just don't see that happening. [nor should it really, the RS looks amazing and I think its worth more, in general, than 32k, just not more to me with my specific requirements.]

In the same boat at the moment. I am really wanting a new hatchback and its now at the FoST, FoRS, or the GolfR. With the state of annoyance with my current car, I would rather buy sooner than later. Having never owned a VW, what is the state of their cars right now (Golf GTI/Golf R) in the US? Any mid-to-long term big issues that will have me at the mechanic on a regular basis?

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Blue is too Subaruish. The black is amazing looking.

Will back this up. I was able to find a Black Golf R a couple months ago sitting in a showroom and it looks amazing.
There is a blue one I come across sometimes driving around and it looks pretty bad.

Enjoy the car veedubfreak. Worth every penny and fun as hell to drive. Everyone will want to race you at every stop light though.

Edit: Downside: Prepare to wash it every weekend :cheeky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

For those of you with an R, any regrets? Would you still get the R over a GTI?

I loving love my R.
Comfort mode makes daily driving feel like a normal everyday car that doesn't constantly bump (looking at you RS).
I chose the DSG because I drove manuals for years and had numerous clutches bail at the worst times along with stop and go traffic just gets annoying. Never had issues with automatics with a previous Merc and BMW. Also: Flappy paddles. Never had them before and I now have a bit of a fixation on them.
My favorite activity the last 6 months has been going into the mountains and tossing it around in the snow. Its a hoot.

I had tried just about every car in the market when I bought it. Second choices would have been one of the STs. Anyone driving a Fiesta ST is a car lover cause those are great fun to toss around.

Ended up buying the R because it was only a couple thousand more than the GTIs I was looking at.

Now have it hovering around ~335hp. Friends and coworkers have a bunch of sports cars about x2-3 the total cost of mine (the work we do is sorta relevant so everyone is a bit of a car nut) and they just stand still in comparison on the track and on our midnight freeway racing.

Possible down side: Pretty sure I am going to die in this car. But I will die happy :)

EDIT: For the Seattle area goon looking at Ford dealerships, check out Bellevue AutoNation. Only ones that I had any realistic conversation about buying an ST. The Kirkland guys were absolute assholes and everything was heavily marked up at or above MSRP. After I walked out on them they constantly harassed me on phone, email, and text messages for another 6 months.

CodeJanitor fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 14, 2017