Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
FINALLY, THIS THREAD. Everyone else got their own, even those silly wagon owners.

Bought in February on impulse. I wanted to see how much the dealership would give me for my Honda Fit and they over estimated by about $2k so I pulled the trigger on the ST (its an ST1) that day. Put on MRT exhaust* which doesn't do poo poo in the way of HP numbers but creates excellent sound. Getting tint done sometime soon to Florida legal standards. I had planned on buying a GTI as my second car and had driven one alot (my dad owns one). But after driving this thing...there was no comparison.

*http://www.mrt-direct.com/2013-ford-focus-eco-flow-exhaust.html

The only complaints I have are that the stock radio/bluetooth computer is wonky as hell, there is no dead pedal surface (got allweather mats for that though), and that it is a blast to drive so I get awful mileage figures. I mean going from a Fit to this is like a kick in the dick on mileage.

Bob A Feet fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

bobfather posted:

Plenty, unless either of the people sitting in the front are super tall. I was cross-shopping an FR-S and BRZ and the Focus has actual, usable back seats. My 6'1" father fit easily in the back seat while my 5'5" wife sat in the front.

Seconded. I let a few of my friends drive it pretty often and I'll ride in the back. 5'10" 180 pounds and I have no problems with my 6'1" roommate in the seat in front of me. Good head room too. The only bad things about the back seats is they don't fold flat very easily.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

bobfather posted:

You do know that you can pull the back seat bottoms up 90 degrees towards the front seats, then pull the backrests of the back seats forward to have an almost completely flat surface, right?

Yeah. I know. Not has good as the easy fold down system available in other hatches. It also doesn't go completely flat and you have to remove the head rests. Its more of a minor complaint too though, I can definitely fit some stuff back there.

albear posted:

Good lord that is a hot hatch. (see what I did there?) Can you go more into the radio/bluetooth being wonky? What kinda issues do you have and what kinda phone do you use?

I have the lowest model line ST that comes with the lowest model line Focus radio set up-- imagine a tiny rear end screen with a bunch of buttons for it. I'll try to get a picture later. I also have a rooted galaxy nexus running cm 10.1. It connects fine but on my model line the voice reception is spotty and the system doesn't process very fast so sometimes pushing too many buttons will slow it down. It also won't stay in Bluetooth audio configuration and there is no button to get it there. So every time I get in the car I have to hit the voice command button and tell it to go to Bluetooth audio. That being said, its no way to judge the other model ST's that get an awesome touch screen set up that is very sexy. The audio quality itself is very nice, as with the rest of the interior. It, like complaint about the fold down seats, is small potatoes compared to how good the car is.

Bob A Feet fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 28, 2013

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I really wanted one but it actually sucks. I wanted to like it so bad, and I am a Swedish Car Apologist, but it just... ugh. Volvo makes bitchin seats, and the exterior styling is pretty neat. That's about the only positive to the vehicle.

In news nobody cares about, picking up the new vehicle this afternoon! I will take some pictures and also do a review of how stupid MFT is.

Let me see that interior!! MFT isn't bad, it's the ST1's 1990's radio dash set up that is bad (aka the not MFT one). It doesn't look bad its just...wonky. I wanna see what yours looks like. Did you get recaros?

And also yeah I looked at those Volvo things and they look cool but loving spending $35k plus for something that isn't anywhere near competitive with the ST/MS3/GTI let alone the things in its price range (Golf R, STI)

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

bobfather posted:

Personally I love the grabbiness of the brakes. I do agree the clutch engagement is a bit bipolar though.

No way that I know of to disable the up shift indicator.

There's a newish service bulletin out from Ford that replaces the engine motor mounts and some of the clutch lines. People have hypothesized that the clutch line changes might slightly increase the engagement zone for the clutch, but not many people have gotten the service done yet.

The rear motor mount changes, whether dealership or aftermarket, are supposed to be essential. I don't wail on mine, but supposedly if you do, it will prevent a lot of wheel skip and clunk. You can by a cobb rmm for like $300, or challenge your dealership on a recall. Some people on focusst.org are getting theres replaced easily, some have to sit in the car while a mechanic flogs it :ohdear:

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

MetaJew posted:

I want to like the ST, but every picture someone posts that isn't from an ad/promotional has awful hood panel gap. What gives, Ford?

For some unknown reason the hood gap is adjustable. That was right after I got it and didn't know it adjusted. I'll try to get another pic. Not as bad now.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

bobfather posted:

tune stuff

questions:

1- are there deadspots in the throttles? on focusst.org i was reading that some people found dead spots in the top and bottom of the throttle because of their tunes.
2- can you run them on 87/89 octane? I can always just start buying 93
3- Are there any like daily driving/ highway tunes for mileage? if so, do they work at all?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

mafoose posted:

You should already be using 91/93 (whatever it is that is available).
The difference in price is close to negated with the increase in power and gas mileage.
To get better economy, lay off the go pedal.

I actually had no noticeable difference in power or mileage between the two gases and that's with staying off the pedal too. Either way, the car's manual says it can take 87 and 91/93. Thanks though.

I'll get the FSWerks one here soon. I had already been eyeballing it and its the crowd favorite as well. I just don't ever do anything with the car other than accelerate stupidly fast away from stop lights so its hard to justify more power which means more gas and more tires in the future.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

InitialDave posted:

I'm never sure about test driving hot hatches. I mean, do you drive it sensibly and never get a feel for what the car's really like, or do you drive it like you actually would if you owned it, and come off looking like every other knuckle-dragging test pilot that comes in off the street?

I just head for the nearest interstate. You get a good on ramp/off ramp experience, good highway driving, reverse it on the way back, and in town between.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

opengl128 posted:

How old are ya'll? Maybe its because the bulk of my test drives were when I was new car shopping 5 years ago when I was 24, and they were hot hatch types. MS3, GTI, Si, etc. Though I did drive a BRZ last week and the sales guy came with. Can't say I've ever pressed the issue though.

Yeah, I'm 23 and have never gotten away by myself. Most dealers won't give me the time of day.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Now the dealership I did buy my ST from was legit about not letting people test drive it at all. It had 3 miles on it when I drove it. I can take that. So I didn't mind having to convince them.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

AvesPKS posted:

Right now I'm basically torn between the Focus ST and the MS3, although I'm also looking at a few other things in that price range. However, I haven't test driven anything yet. Probably my biggest problem right now is that I don't drive manual. Will a dealership take me on a test drive, or is that not something they do?

Yeah, the salesman will probably love you for letting them drive them. I know the GTI comes in a DSG transmission (auto but better) if that's your thing and has the same fun factor as the other two. I would, however, find a friend that drives a manual and is interested in hot hatches to test drive it for you so you can get realistic opinions other than "YEAH MAN THIS THING IS RAD whats your credentials so we can get this credit check going"

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

bobfather posted:

AWD would certainly help, but then the base price of the car would be closer to 30k than 25k.

As always, the drag strips are the definitive way to settle what's faster.

I think the AWD is rumored for the Focus RS. Would be awesome.

I don't like street racing people in my ST because I can't handle the torque steer and I'm afraid I'd end up in their lane :ohdear: (a half a length in front of them however)

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

InitialDave posted:

If you're using a hot hatch for straight-line races, you're rather missing the point.

Hey man! You drive yours, I'll drive mine.

And I don't street race people.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

AvesPKS posted:

because they can be a pain to drive sometimes

I have the opposite opinion than him I guess : automatics (True autos/ not DSG's like VW's) will emphasize the bad things about small engines (especially 4 cylinders) which is mainly low torque. Most also have awful shifting decisions (ie they bump you down two gears on the highway with one touch of the accel button). Sometimes making them unenjoyable.

I'd say, unless you are missing a left foot or at the very least get a VW DSG, a manual is a must in a hot hatch because most are going to be lacking on the low down torque until you hit boost. Thats my experience at least. Plus its more fun when you want it to be and mindless when you don't care.

My $0.02

Bob A Feet fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 13, 2013

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I really regret buying the ST1 in that I should have just splurged for the ST2 or 3. The drat dash set up is starting to get on my nerves.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

SpaceBanditos posted:

Could be, I had the seat at the position that was most comfortable for me to operate the clutch but it wasn't like I had my knees buried in the dash.. Maybe I'm a weirdo who is more ape than man.

The seat pumps up and down too.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
The power band says it all for me. FI gets the power/torque so much lower in the RPM range than a tiny NA engine like on the civic.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
hot hatch appreciation video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuDN2bCIyus

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
This weekend I got a lot done. Saturday I turned over for the 10k service on the car, which is all the blah blah blah but more importantly, tires rotated and oil changed (with nice stuff too). Today I decided, since it was sunny, I'd wash, clay, and wax it. I wax usually every 5 washes (maybe every 2-3 months) and hadn't clayed it yet. I figured it was high time considering I just came back from a roadtrip that put 1.7k on the clock on it.

But, in true Florida fashion, it decided to rain. Still got it done though.

I did a wash first with dish detergent, just something strong to get all the dirt off. After that it started raining, so into the garage we go for clay

clay was pretty gross after i was done

nailed the interior while it rained and still in the garage

got back outside, did second wash, wax, buff, wheels

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

bobfather posted:

Looks great! Where in FL are you? I'm in Miami where it rains so much there isn't much use to washing my ST.

Pensacola. It's not worth it at all. It looks so good now but by tomorrow it will be back to the same thing it was before: rain spots and brake dust.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
The Fiesta ST is the perfect blend between cute and aggressive. I'd buy one if I didn't have an ST.

I found out last night that ford racing has matte and gloss black versions of the stock wheel on the Focus. I love the design, hate the color of the wheels (shows too much dirt). They are ~$220 too. I was going to get mine powdercoated but I'd rather have the originals for when I move somewhere else for a second set of tires, and the cost of powder coating would probably be around the cost of a second set of wheels I figured.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=22774

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I dunno, but I really like the idea of of it. The only person in the world that wants to hear the engine sound, the guy thats driving it, is the only one that can hear it.

Enjoy your Fiesta man. You're going to have to give it a full break down on here. Hope you have a better camera!

edit- judging by your flickr, you do! I want more pics!

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

SpellEdge posted:

Looks like I need the rear motor mount tsb done on my focus st, when it clunked on the way home from work today, I thought I ran something over.I did a couple more runs to confirm. I'm a little annoyed since I asked the salesman about the issue before I got the car, and he said it wouldn't be a problem because of the build date.

My dealership wouldn't do it at the same time I did my maintenance. They had the part, they had the time, the tech just "didn't feel like it."

I'm running out of Ford dealerships to go to. They are all poo poo-tastic in the panhandle.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Oil change arguments are hilarious. Congrats, your 1000 mile discrepancy won't manifest itself until probably 150,000 miles from now.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
About to drive 5 hours to Atlanta this weekend. I really wish the ST had a right arm rest. :negative:

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Yeah I came from a car which had one, so its a let down. I use a travel mug as well for a makeshift one. I did a 2000 mi road trip a few weeks ago (FL-SC-VA-SC-FL) and it wasn't too bad. The window provides an okay arm rest, and I use my lap and steer from the bottom of the wheel too. The only problem with that is I find that the steering isn't initially very sensitive, so it requires a little bit of torque from your arm, which can be difficult if its resting in your lap.

The biggest annoyance is low range on a tank, I think. That, and a recent occurrence-- a door mounted speaker is loose/blown and is buzzing on low freqs.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Stew Man Chew posted:

And the loaded version is like $35k? Huh?

Has volvo done anything with their interiors in the last 5 years? I had a friend who bought an 08 S40 T5 and it looked like a library or maybe a Midwestern DMV building inside.

Yeah, why wouldn't you just buy something a lot better for 35k is my question

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Ringo Star Get posted:

My '13 Focus ST is at the dealer getting the new motor mounts put in. It's also developed a nasty habit of the parking brake light going on since the handle itself is as sensitive as a 19-year-old virgin.

Getting my mounts done tomorrow!

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

skipdogg posted:

I don't know how the Fiesta ST is selling, but my local Ford dealer has way too many Focus ST's on the lot. They're doing 3K off the 2014's or 4K off the leftover 2013's. Now my kids aren't rear facing anymore I've thought about trading in my Fusion Sport for a base Focus ST, but my wife hates the car and can't drive stick. Plus I still really like my Fusion. 20K +TTL for a base ST though is a steal.

loving right that is, its a lot of car for that much money.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
What's the average tire life on the stock tires on the ST? I know next to nothing about tires. What should I be expecting out of them? And are there better tires to replace them with? I live in Florida now and I'm gonna be moving to south Texas here soon so I don't think winter tires are a concern.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Voltage posted:

Unfortunately the 3Cyl Turbo only comes on the SE trim with no available options, special order only. The ST I feel as if I would never be able to live with myself if I didn't get those Recaros.
I've driven the normal n/a 1.6L and It's ok but I want a unique and somewhat interesting car - so the 1.0L ecoboost would suit that well. I could hypermile 50+MPG out of it, it's super light, more power than the base 1.6, sounds cool, and has a turbo.

Call me crazy, but I don't really like any other new cars under 35K other than the fiesta - everything is too generic and boring. I would get an FR-S but the interior is terrible and it has way too little power for $25,000, test driven a few and just came out underwhelmed, it just feels empty, like it's missing something. The Fiesta ST seems like an amazingly better value since it actually fits people and cargo.

If I had the cash i'd be in a 3 series again in a heartbeat.

Check out other hot hatches?

The Fiesta ST (and the Focus ST) are a lot more than Recaro seats. If Recaro seats are keeping you from purchasing/leasing a car, your priorities may be a little out of whac.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I wish I had the option of just a panel that displayed the radio station and clock and thats it. The fancy poo poo on there does nothing but complicate the basic poo poo that I do on it.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Poisonlizard posted:

Anyone have cold weather issues with the ST? Once it got below 30 or so, the rear motor mount issues became very obvious to me. Starting the car in the morning has been a cringe moment every day. So I'm headed to the dealer first thing Monday morning.
And the keyless unlock doesn't work for me when it's cold. I grab the handle, and it does nothing. Then I have to dig the fob out of my pocket and figure out which button is which. Had the car for 8 months, and I don't know which button is which, because I've never needed to.

On the plus side, it handled ice pretty well. Even with the stock tires.

All of the above for me. Thankfully I just moved to Texas (never thought I'd say that) so cold weather might not be too much of an issue this winter for me.

The keyless entry thing not working is the most annoying for me because a lot of the time I'll keep my spare key in a zippered pocket or my backpack.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dumb question, but my local dealership told me that my RMM (focus st) problem is a transmission issue. That really doesn't make sense to me at all. They also canceled my scheduled appointment as I walked through the door. Awesome.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
The Fiesta ST just makes me crave a Honda Fit SI. Yes, I know that is completely impractical, but that has been one of the best drat cars I've ever owned. A turbo could only make it great, RIGHT?

But in reality Honda won't even keep the Civic Si up with the rest of the market, and they canceled the S2000, and yeah they pretty much hate fun.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Galler posted:

You've lived a very privileged automotive life if a Fit is the slowest car you've ever driven.

Yeah, the manual fit wasn't a sports car but it was easily one the most fun in its segment of the market. The only thing that I think compares to it in fun value is the Chevy sonic because it has a similar sized engine but with a turbo.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Here is some actualy hot hatchiness to get this thread back in the good direction it was once going. Sorry prius bro.

Fresh wash a few months ago

Clean base Focus ST interior

I've since debadged it of the "Focus" badge and yes I've gotten rid of the stupid dealer plate holder as well. Shown is the MRT axle back exhaust. I don't really care about power gains and am probably not going to tune it either, I just wanted a little more out of the stock sound. This sounds good without trying too hard.

Fresh wash right after I got it. This appears also on the first page of this thread.

Same set as the one above it. Right after I got it.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

1791apparel posted:

It incurred just over $1k in damage while being shipped. It's fully repaired, cosmetic, but Ford dictates that in such situations the vehicles are sold as used.

I'm guessing that's scared away other potential buyers who assumed it was in a real mechanical accident.

We'll see what they're willing to do tomorrow. Right now it won't get out of the parking lot without snow tires, so that's some room for negotiation.

Yo thats a pretty sick deal. I would jump on that. I can understand wanting a pure virginal undamaged new car but if its cosmetic and now fixed theres not much left to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

the milk machine posted:

I've had a 2005 WRX wagon for eight years and it's getting up there in mileage. I'd really like to replace it with something similarly useful, but with a nicer interior and a bit more polish because I spend an hour a day "commuting" in DC (i.e., sitting in traffic). I don't do any track driving, but I'd like to get started this year so all the better if my DD is capable. Also, we don't usually get much snow here, so I don't really *need* the AWD I suppose.

I test drove a 2014 WRX hatch earlier today and wasn't too impressed... the shifter is godawful and the transmission feels as clacky and vague as the one in my 2005. The power and (exterior) styling are great, but the interior is a little sad for a car that costs nearly 30k.

How does the Focus ST compare, probably the ST3? I believe my local dealer is advertising those for about 26k, and that seems like a good value to me. Literally everything I've read/watched about the ST is very positive.

The ST3 interior is probably going to feel like a Ford interior after a long time of sitting in it but it offers a lot of features-- the Recaros being the biggest one. 26K is pretty good, not to mention that there are probably rebates/discounts available.