Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
I'm going to look at a 2016 Fiesta ST with 16K miles + Recaro this week for 15K. Do we think this is a good deal? Anything in particular I should be looking out for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
I just went from a 1st-gen MS3 to a Fiesta ST and the lack of torque steer in comparison is wild.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
I agree with all recaro talk, if they fit you should buy one that has them. One of my fav parts of the car.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
Has anyone here gone from a FiST to GTI? Thinking of picking up a used 2018 GTI SE with the nice 6-year warranty, but also thinking maybe I should just keep my fun and small and cheap-feeling Fiesta ST and save $5000.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

Styles Bitchley posted:

FINALLY: the 2021 Mazda 3 hatch will have a turbo offering and standard AWD. 250hp / 320lb-ft tq. Auto transmission only though.

Will be watching this one closely as I have been interested in a 3 but wanted more power.

https://www.mazdausa.com/vehicles/2021-mazda3-turbo

I want to want this but I feel like it's going to be pretty expensive.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Hey FiST owners, I’m looking at a 19 for my next ride when my unkillable Saturn Vue (252k!) inevitably dies. Are Recaro seats worth the hassle to find? This car will be all city driving, year round, and here in Michigan, I’ve never had a car with heated seats, so the Recaros sounded like a nice luxury.

If you fit into them then yes 100%. They’re the most special part of an otherwise very economy interior and I love them. Your passengers might hate them, though — they really are not too forgiving of larger body sizes. Also the heated part is very primitive (just on or off) but heats up quick and is wonderful on cold days.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

Late Fees posted:

I'm pretty sure FiSTs didn't get backup cameras until 2018

Yeah I have a 2016 and no backup cam. You can add CarPlay to the ‘16 though which is nice. It makes the car feel newer longer.

I love the recaros (the only good part of the interior besides the aforementioned CarPlay potential) but I also bought at a time when cars were normal prices. They’re also somewhat snug so might not work for everyone.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

Despite my best efforts, I can’t seem to break an average mpg of 24-26 in my FiST.

I have a 2016 and average 26-27, mix of highway and city. I would say I drive "normally." If I do a tank of mostly highway driving I'll get 31-32.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

Rusty posted:

I went and drove a Kona N at the local Hyundai dealer and loved it, and probably would have just bought it then and there until they guy said it had a $5k markup.

I'm curious why you're thinking of going from a GTI to the Kona N? I've also been looking at Kona/Elantra N, but would probably buy a used 18/19 GTI if the prices were normal (PS: I'm in Portland if you want to sell yours for a normal price, though obviously now is a great time to make a lot of money on your car 😎).

Re: Focus RS, I have a '16 Fiesta ST and just test drove a '17 Focus RS. Very fun car, but the one I'm looking at has 60K miles and mods, and even for $30K (seems pretty low for the current market) I'm worried about problems and maintenance costs. But I've always wanted one, so I'm going back and forth.

One interesting thing I noticed is that the RS doesn't really feel that much faster than the Fiesta — it's just that you look down and you're going 60 whereas in the Fiesta you'd be going 35. But for daily driving at normal speeds (what I'm doing) I'm not sure if the RS would actually be more enjoyable. The interior, while not awesome, is definitely nicer than the Fiesta, though (heated steering wheel, sunroof, slightly better materials, bigger). The one that I drove had KW coilovers, and the ride felt similar to my Fiesta ST (not comfortable but not brutal).

But for 30-35K, I'm leaning more towards the Elantra N, or waiting for the new Civic Type R/GR Corolla, even though those will probably be closer to 35-40K. But maybe worth it for a new car with a warranty.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

Rusty posted:

It's a `19 with 5k miles so not sure why I am car shopping anyway.

Yeah to me that is sorta a perfect car/situation. If I was you I'd hold onto it for a few more years and sell it 6-12 months before the warranty expires — by that time prices should be more normal, you'll have a lot of exciting things to choose from, and you'll get the extra $$ from selling a VW still in warranty.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
I just bought an Elantra N which is a ton of fun, but depending on pricing/dealer markup/availability I feel like I might need to get one of these.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

Are all car warranties getting this lovely? I went to the Type S build page and noticed it only has a 2yr/24k warranty on it. My GTI came with 6 drat years.

Where do you live? In the US it's 4 years/50K miles — a little selling point over the Type R.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
I don't have a dog but I just got a Type R. Big hatch area but it does slope and is more like a lift back. 16" MacBook Pro for scale.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Congrats on the CTR. Any plans to modify?

The hatch area is definitely big enough but the slope of the liftback makes me a little nervous, I don't think my dog could easily stand up or adjust.

Thanks! No plans to modify unless I decide to track it. And even if I do, I'd only do mods to make it run cooler — I'm not sure what I'd do with more power in a FWD car.

It could definitely use a better-sounding exhaust, but I came from an RS3 and have just resigned myself to the fact that all of these turbo fours sound like garbage. This one is especially tame though, so maybe I'll think about an exhaust if I keep it long-term.

I do think the slope would be a tough for a dog.

trilobite terror posted:

Those Recaros are terrible IMO

Alternate opinion: the Recaros were my favorite thing about my FiST. They make the interior feel so much more special than it is and are amazing for spirited driving. I am a tall, slim guy though and they fit my body well.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

Travic posted:

I've been driving a Civic Si and I absolutely love it. I've also gotten the car bug and now I want more. I was thinking about an FL5 Civic Type R. I know they're hard to get, but I might as well try right? I'm looking for the increased power and sharpness from the Type R. I'd be using it for my daily driver and some spirited back road driving. Little to no track time.

I just have a few questions about it. My main concern is the ride quality. Virtually every review I've ever read says it's wonderful, but really stiff. Even in comfort mode. Is it too stiff for a daily driver? Stiffer than the Si? Is it worth putting 18 inch wheels on it? I'm ok losing some performance to gain a bit of comfort.

It's pretty stiff. Comfort mode in the FL5 is stiffer than the FK8, even though the OEM wheels are smaller (19" vs 20"). Changing to 18s does help.

The good news is that you can buy the Integra Type S ADS module ($200 or so, though on backorder at most places) and install it to get Integra Type S suspension settings, which I prefer after driving both. That's what I'm doing with mine.

You could also just get an Integra Type S — though I think the FL5 jussssst barely feels worth its asking price, and to me the 7K premium for the ITS is too much. But if you're not in a rush I bet used ITS prices will be pretty good in a year or so.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

Travic posted:

Ok so there are options. I may pull the trigger later this year then. Is that ADS module swap something any mechanic can do?

:edit: Oh one other question. It comes on PS4S tires that last 7,500 miles. If I look up PS4S tires online it ways they last 30,000. Why is that?

I haven't looked at the install instructions but I think most owners do it themselves? That's what I'm planning on but I guess I should check. The tire life depends on how you drive — I'm not sure why there's a big quoted variance. 7,500 seems low unless you do track days on them, but 30K seems high to me.

trilobite terror posted:

funny how the new Type R/ITS completely memory-holed the GR Corolla

The Type R has much better inputs and a much better interior BUT I would consider the GRC instead if it had better packaging. I think a lot of people were hyped on the idea of the car, but in reality it's not very practical for being a 174" long hatchback. I think that's the boring reason why it's not as desirable — it has a less usable interior than even the Golf R despite being longer. It's also less tail happy than the Golf R which is a bummer. There are also some dynamic problems like the AWD overheats and the interior really does look garbage for $40K. So it's not perfect, but despite all of this I like Toyotas and AWD is fun in the winter.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

TheBacon posted:

I’d also personally way more have the GR.

Civic being more reliable is a very odd thing to bring up in that it is basically never discussed by any reviewers when talking about dailyable fun cars. Also the EA888 has been around for so long a lot of the issues have been worked out.

I wouldn't worry about the EA888 but I would be nervous about everything else once the warranty runs out. The MK7 seems like it has done fine long-term, but I've read a lot of complaints about MK8 glitches on brand-new cars.

I do think the Toyota/Honda perceived brand reliability is something to consider for resale value. Also spending any amount of time at a dealer for any reason sucks, even if your car is in warranty.

no lube so what posted:

They are moving about the same units

"Still, the Civic Type R lagged behind the Toyota GR Corolla (5,739 units), and just pipped the Volkswagen Golf R (3,238). But, when you add in 1,871 sales of the Acura Integra Type S, a car mechanically almost identical to the Civic Type R, Honda gets a lot closer to the GR Corolla, with 5,216 cars sold. The Civic Si falls just shy of its closest rival, the Volkswagen GTI, with 7,451 sales."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/civic-type-r-sales-represented-just-one-percent-of-civics-sold-in-2023/ar-AA1n8SDq

As far as I can tell, all of these companies sold everything they brought to the US in 2023. I think this year we might start seeing some of these actually sit on lots (anecdotal but I just saw a dealer advertise a new GR Corolla for $1,500 under MSRP in a Facebook group) which will give us an idea of which people desire more.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

The Elantra N is definitely worth a look, especially if you're considering the FL5. It's very comparable but for 10k less.

The issue right now for the FL5, Golf R, and GRC is supply and the corresponding mark ups.

I owned two Elantra Ns (one DCT, one manual) before my FL5 and that is an incredible car for the money. The driver inputs are not CTR level but I would argue it's almost as fun to drive on the street. Also the DCT in that car is better than the one in my RS3 (the manual is "fine" but was still more fun to me than the DCT). The interior looks sorta garbage with that flimsy grab handle, but has all physical controls and the infotainment is great. If they offered it in a hatchback or wagon I'm not sure I would've made the move to Type R.

Probably the biggest downside of that car is Hyundai dealers combined with not-bulletproof reliability. It seems like a lot people have no problems but there's a common-enough problem that can happen in a car wash or heavy rain which causes the knock sensor to fault and the car to go into limp mode. I never had that happen to either of my cars thank god but I would not want to have to work with Hyundai to fix that.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

Neo_Crimson posted:

I looked up Type-R prices on Autotrader the other day and I could find a lot of dealers selling new ones at MSRP.

All FL5s though, FK8s were weirdly absent.

Unfortunately just because they have it listed for MSRP on Autotrader (or even their website) doesn’t mean that’s the actual price. Dealers suck. That said, getting one for MSRP is possible, it just might take some work + being willing to travel or ship the car.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

I've been thinking about getting a MK8 Golf R and these posts are making me nervous.

If you want to be more nervous then join some MK8 Facebook groups. I don't own one and the amount of people with weird problems on nearly-new cars is why. I'm hoping they fix things for the 8.5.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

haddedam posted:

Only real issue I'm aware of from going to time attack events with a Golf R and RS3 is that the DSG overheats when doing cornering and goes into limp mode. Not even improved cooling mods help it. Overall it seems to be pretty fast and reliable as long as it's not a go kart track.

I did a track day with my '23 RS3 and the DSG was in the green the whole day. It actually takes forevvvvver for the DSG to come up to temp in normal driving. But maybe it depends on the track and ambient temps — my day was like 75 degrees F.

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Ugh, I guess I should go and take a look. I'm still considering a manual transmission, even though it's really the bad choice here. One of the dealers here is getting one that's in my ideal configuration: MT, no sunroof and blue.

That's the best spec! It does seem to be luck of the draw — if that's a used one, maybe check if it spent any time at the dealer?

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

Ehud posted:

I can't stop looking at this Mazdaspeed 3 that's an hour up the road from me. It's a single owner, unmodified gen 1 with 67k miles.

How much do you like torque steer.

I had a 2008.5 and loved it. Lots of character to the driving experience because the torque steer is crazy. There are a couple potentially expensive problems if I remember right, so definitely get it checked out. But if I had your same opportunity I would be tempted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

Ehud posted:

welp, glad I didn’t buy the one from yesterday

77k miles
owned by an older dude who never modded it

Picking it up next Saturday

I had the same color. 77K miles and unmodded is awesome.