Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'd be happy with a non M Z4 coupe, pretty much my almost-but-not-quite attainable dream car :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Larrymer posted:

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a Sonic LT with the 1.4L turbo and the 6 speed manual. Should be able to get one decently cheap. I just want a good DD with good mileage, and I love hatchbacks. It's just a little smaller than I'd prefer but I don't think there's anything I like as much for the price. I still have yet to drive one, though. Anybody out there have any feedback?

Go drive one and report back, I'd love to hear how it drives. I'm partial to the mazda 2 in that segment but I have a feeling with a turbo the Sonic should be quite a bit more fun.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

omgitstheinternet posted:

My new hot hatch, my favorite hot hatch.

I hate you so much right now :argh:

Please give a full review on how it drives :allears:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The only hot hatch I ever owned was a '94 Suzuki Swift GT and I loved that car. Bought it brand new for like 11k, added A/C for 1k, and later thanks to Calmini (suzuki aftermarket) had a header, exhaust and some springs. Then I got some TSW wheels and some sticky tires and was in hot hatch heaven. This is pretty much exactly what it looked like:

Only new car I ever bought, and one of the few I wish I never would have given up :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Don't feel bad, I had two 323s that I had grand plans for and it never worked out.

One of these days I'm gonna find a clean BG and actually go through with it :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've seen a few on CL but they are always ragged out :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

eddyc49 posted:

About 10 years ago, I worked in the same dealership group as Irv. The story from multiple techs that had run through the shops he was at was that car spent more time on the lift with the wheels spinning than on the ground.

What. That is pretty drat retarded if that's true.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jesus, those things need motor mounts already? lovely design or defective I suppose?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Bob A Feet posted:

The Fiesta ST just makes me crave a Honda Fit SI.

More like a Mazdaspeed 2. I think Mazda could make it better than the Fiesta, and if Ford keeps selling them I'd be surprised if Mazda doesn't jump on the bandwagon.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I really miss having a hatch and can't afford any of the newer hot hatches so I've been thinking about possibly "making" my own. For awhile I've been wanting a second gen ZX3 Focus and recently they have been coming down in price big time with low miles. IIRC they are relatively cheap to make better as far as handling but I'm not so sure about engine stuff. Basically I would put most of the money into suspension and wheels/tires and maybe some bolt on poo poo for the engine (intake/header/exhaust) if it would even help at all......Any advice on these cars? I would most likely be rally crossing it and maybe auto crossing as well.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The entire SVT suspension drop-in kit is also available from the dealer and is stupid cheap.

That's what I remember, when Sockington had his Focus and did that upgrade.....Think he did rear discs too and some other stuff stupid cheap.

I'd have to sell the Miata though so I'm kinda torn.....I could rally X the Miata but that would require a hard top which I have no room or extra $1k for. And in the hatch I could carry the rally tires, for the Miata I'd need a small trailer or would have to drive to the event on rally tires.

I'm also into having good audio and hatches are perfect for that, while the Miata is just the opposite. I dunno, gonna have to think long and hard about it.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 15, 2014

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

8ender posted:

Co-worker recently scored a blobeye Impreza hatch for a grand with the intentions of making it a rally car. It had a scratched up fender and needed some maintenance but was otherwise ready to drive. If Sockington's Impreza is any indication they can be made to handle amazingly well with some suspension work.

I'd consider that If I wanted a dedicated rally car, but it would be my DD also and I really don't want an Impreza for my DD.

One of the reasons I want a Focus also is I can get one in two door trim, I really want a 2 (3) door hatch in the worst way.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I'm pretty sure you advised me to get into the fun car I wanted before it was too late or I'd regret it. ZX3's are restupidly cheap, you'd be silly not to get one. I mean, so cheap that you wouldn't have to get rid of anything. Remember how you found all the cheap Miata's in Florida for me? Well all the cheap ZX3s are in the midwest. There's a half dozen under $2500 in town at any given time.

http://limaohio.craigslist.org/cto/4806314788.html

http://limaohio.craigslist.org/cto/4795344776.html

Both of these have been relisted several times. I'd be shocked if they wouldn't let either one go for $2000.

If I get one it's going to be nice with low miles '04 or newer. I know the earlier ones had issues but they got a lot better later on.

Would have to sell the Miata though and I'm having a hard time digesting that right now.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Am I dumb for considering a NA VW Rabbit? I can't afford a GTi but I really like the body style and interiors, but if they have issues and are expensive to fix with higher miles I'll probably stay away and get a Mazda 2 instead, I just really want a good hatch but it's slim pickins in my price range.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

'06 to '09. The ones I have been looking at are the 5cyl 2.5, I guess they all have that motor?

Yeah I know the rated mpg's kinda suck, but honestly I just want a decent hatchback with a manual transmission. As far as power I'm used to around 100 HP with a Miata and Protege currently, so power is not that big of a deal to me. I just like the styling of the Rabbit and the interiors from what I've heard are excellent, and also from the reviews I've read the handling and overall driving experience is excellent as well.

The only thing I'm really concerned about is reliability and availability/cost of parts. I know VW's have a rep for lovely electrical systems and I don't really want to deal with poo poo like that if these models are having those kind of issues. Also I don't want to get raped on major services like timing belts and whatnot. I have never owned a VW and have no experience with them whatsoever, but I have always liked the Rabbit/Golf.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Why the hell are Volvo C30's so drat expensive? Are they that good or just over priced?

[e] Looks like I might as well just get a drat Focus or Mazda3 apparently, but drat the C30 is cool looking.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 15, 2016

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah that's just it, stupid money. I can get a 2.5 Rabbit for half the price and I can't imagine it being half as good.

My choice has pretty much come down to a Rabbit or mazda2, whichever one impresses me the most when I drive it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Electric Pigeon posted:

Focus RS reviews are out today, for those so interested.
It's a jizz machine.

autocar
evo
autoexpress
car & driver
automobile

Countdown to the first person putting it in DORIFTU MODE and wrapping it around a tree/light post.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

fyodor posted:

Please post your recommendations for a sun screen that isn't bullshit. Thanks in advance.

Make one out of Reflectix or order one made for your car?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well if you know of something that works better at reflecting the sun than foil you should patent that poo poo

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've had leather in Florida and it's not too bad if you mitigate the heat the best you can. High quality tint, a sun shield and vent visors are a must down here, it's the only way to keep the car at reasonable temps if it's sitting in the sun.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ripoff posted:

As for your original question, one of the big things that I've always wondered about is why Chevy and Dodge don't participate in the hot hatch segment anymore,

Chevy is getting back in the game, I like it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Those deflectors look bad and you should feel bad for smoking in your car

They look bad but are quite functional, a must have in Florida for me.

Also my xB's color is "Army Rock" and is pretty much the exact color of dirt so I rarely wash it :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So is getting a used GTI generally a bad idea? Any years in particular that have issues?

My xB got totaled so I'm going to be needing a new car, preferably a hatchback.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I've sat in the Fiesta and it's just too small. Also I think the dash/infotainment layout is horrible, VW keeps it nice but simple I like that.

The only apprehension about the VW is reliability issues, I'm used to Toyota/Lexus reliability and don't want a car that's gonna nitpick at me with problems.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm in Florida. Tampa Bay area.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So there's a new FiST at a local dealer for $18k with an original MSRP of $23.5k should I jump on it? Wasn't planning on driving one but that price seems too good not to try one out. Also gonna test drive a slightly used GTI tomorrow, a 2018 for $21k with 3k miles on it.

So far have driven a manual Corolla SE which was surprisingly good but a little slow for my liking, and a Jetta GLI because they didn't have any new GTIs with a manual. Sales person said the GLI was about as close as I could get and that car was really nice too. Almost too nice.

Has anyone here driven a FiST and GTI back to back?

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 20, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

I've owned both. A 2016 GTI 4dr and a 2015 FiST.
I bought the GTI new and paid full boat since it was a few weeks before diesel gate, sold it with 35k miles for $19.5k (iirc)
Bought the FiST for $13.5k with something like 17k miles and sold it for $13k with something like 30k miles (iirc)

They are different cars, but the FiST is more fun to drive, didn't make me paranoid about something breaking, had a much shittier ride / interior, and both got similar gas mileage. The Ford Sync drove me insane in the FiST. Unless you know you really like the FiST for what it is (econobox that is borderline nervous handling wise) then buy the GTI.

Hopefully the GTI has the LSD.

e: also, the non Recaro FiST seats suck and you need FiST seats if you want to swap and not have to deal with airbag fuckery. The FiST seats are more expensive used than Focus ST Recaros.
e2: I know you've mentioned the Si oil dilution issue, but you're doing yourself a disservice by not also driving one

I actually do like fast econoboxes and if it reminded me of my first car (Honda City Turbo) that would be a huge plus.

I am kinda paranoid about VW reliablity tho I gotta admit, I have never owned a VW so it kind of scares me. To be fair I'd rather drive the corolla I test drove knowing it's going to be reliable rather than get a GTI if i know there's gonna be issues. I just REALLY don't want to deal with that poo poo......Am I better off just staying away from VW for that reason? Should i just stick with Honda or Toyota? Or the Ford? How is the reliability with the FiST?

I'm just wracking my brain because i need a car SOON so I'm trying to get as much info as possible. The local Honda dealership are morons and wasted my time (told me a car was in stock when it wasn't) so now I gotta drive 40 miles to get to the nearest Civic LX/Sport 2.0 with a manual.

The 1.5 sounds great, but again, I REALLY don't want to deal with any issues it's just not worth the risk to me. Too bad because the Si sounds like fun but i don't want to smell gas and worry about the oil being contaminated ruining the motor prematurely.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 20, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Hmm, didn't know about the clutch issue, what is the jist of that? And I haven't even considered the DCT, are there any issues with that? Does every automatic GTI have the DCT?

Going today to test drive a FiST, GTI and Civic Sport.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 20, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

King of False Promises posted:

Clutch won't handle any increases in power without slipping eventually. The DSG is honestly great and I'd give it a try just to see if you like it.

So do all the GTIs that are autos have the DCT? Or do some of them have that tiptronic trans as well......And how would i tell them apart since most ads just say "automatic transmission"

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

yes, all DCT

Ok thanks. I think i would enjoy an actual real DCT and not a simulated one. Considering the clutch issues on the manual I'm gonna have to try one.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Test drove the cars today, after driving the GTI first the FiST felt underwhelming in every aspect pretty much. Interior quality way way better in the GTI and is just a better car. The Fiesta was quick tho I’ll give it that, almost as fast as the GTI.

Was really impressed by the Civic tho, for a $20k car new it’s a great value overall, this is gonna be a tough decision.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

TheFonz posted:

Which Civic did you drive?

My wife had a 2012 base model, and even that was a great little car.

2.0 Sport Sedan. Interior was great, almost on par with the GTI, and had better power than I expected for the n/a engine. The clutch and shifting feel was perfect, and it also looks better than the Si without all the fake vents imo.

The GTI's clutch was very vague, but there are fixes for that right? I'd like to test drive a DCT but then I'm getting up over $25k territory used if i wanna keep the miles low anyways.

Idk, this is gonna be a hard choice, the Civic is such a good car for 20k NEW but I really liked the GTI too although it is used. Brand new just seems to have the edge right now because I haven't owned a brand new car since the early 90's so that would kind of be nice.

Elephanthead posted:

You can get the accord for 21k. I think they fixed the cylinder washdown on the little tubos.

Not with a manual you can't, the Accord LX is CVT only from what I've seen. Don't wanna risk it with the 1.5 anyways tbh.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So I've still been looking on autotrader and discovered the Hyundai Elanta GT "N Line" hatch.....Anyone know anything about these? It looks really sweet.

I'm assuming it's got the same drivetrain as the Veloster turbo, but there aren't many of them around with a manual, closest one is 180 miles away.

[e] apparently the autos are DCT! wow might have to drive one.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 21, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well after lots of thought and car driving, the wife and I decided to wait until I get a settlement from my accident to get a new car because we don't want another car payment right now. My credit needs work, so it's probably not a good idea because my rates are gonna suck anyway. So I'm gonna get something with cash from the payout of my totaled xB for now (around 8k probably), and when I get the money from the dumb drunk bitch I'm suing I'll pay cash for a new car. I'm pretty sure it will be the Honda, although when I get a chance I definitely want to drive the Hyundai. Unless the payout is REALLY good I might go for a GTI Rabbit edition because those are pretty drat sweet but juuuust a bit more than I really wanted to spend. So we'll see, I just might up with a hot hatch after all.

Thanks guys for all the help, gonna stay tuned to this thread for sure.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Yeah, it's the most First World Problems poo poo but with the advent of keyless entry/push button start, the experience of having to take my phone out of my pocket and find the end of the USB cable and set the phone in the little tray that it's gonna fly out of if I push the gas too hard and then later realizing I left my phone in the car, it all just feels like two steps forward and one step back.

This. Not taking the phone out of my pocket ever, I'm usually not in a car long enough to care about any of the benefits of being plugged in anyway. But I still use CDs to listen to most of my music so I'm a bit of a luddite in that regard. It kind of upsets me that the new Civic I want doesn't come with a CD player.....Seems like it's going the way of the cassette player and disappearing completely now which is too bad because most streaming and mp3 quality sucks imo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I have a huge CD collection and ripped every single one of them onto the HD on my desktop.

And I also have an old Samsung Galaxy MP3 player (not a phone) with most of the files on it, since they were ripped straight from my own CDs the quality is actually pretty good so I use that to listen to music when I'm out and about, but in the car it's CDs only. I keep a mini folder of 20 and rotate them out now and then.

My wife streams music in her Lexus and the quality is poo poo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Are you ripping CDs with default settings? It might have defaulted to something dumb like 128 kb/s. Set correctly, mp3s should be indistinguishable from the source material on any reasonable equipment in a double blind test.

I meant mp3s I have downloaded online from amazon or whatever, some of them sound like poo poo and some are ok, but all the mp3s that I ripped myself from my CDs sound perfect.

BraveUlysses posted:

im kinda there with you but it should be noted that you can tell spotify to download all your music at 320kbps which is really high bitrate. high enough bitrate for driving.

I did not know that, might have to look into that thanks. Basically what I did in my xB was keep CDs of albums I liked entirely, and other stuff like hit's from the 80's and 90's and whatnot I made into playlists and put it on a memory stick and just listened to that if I wasn't listening to a CD. Worked out pretty well that way.

I have so much music of my own it keeps me occupied plenty, have never felt the need to stream random stuff.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah on mine it's in the center console under a shelf so it's outta sight, works perfect.

Although the file system on the stock Pioneer system in the xB works a little wonky, it will not play anything in the order i want unless I put a number on every file and even then it takes a while for it to recognize the numbers and put everything in correct order, and on some of the huge playlists I have (90's rock for example) it will play like only half the list over and over and skip the rest of the list completely i don't get it. Kind of annoying but not horrible, first world problems lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

MetaJew posted:

For that matter, on my GF's TTS,

:quagmire: