Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

What is your budget? You need to drive a GTI if you haven't already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Skipopatomus posted:

I'm kinda in the same boat here although nowhere near as noticeable as yours. I just curbed my rim for the first time in a long time (two previous cars had a perfect track record). If anyone has any recommendations for shops that can refinish a rim in Orlando I'd much appreciate it.

Quick search for wheel refinishing in Orlando came up with this http://www.dr-rim.com/

You might be able to find a few more besides that one.

Also since you're an Orlando goon you should post in the LAN: Your City Sucks Florida thread :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Pibur posted:

I'm considering selling my FiST to get a Stinger GT. I still have a Z3 Coupe as a low 200s HP nugget and could do with a car that doesn't make me feel exhausted after drives longer than 2 hours. How stupid am I?

Not stupid at all if you're making a decent amount of drives over two hours. Get a car that fits how you drive, it's why my wife drives a Lexus LS, she spends almost two hours in her car every day in traffic and being in the Lexus makes it a lot more tolerable. No way I'd make that commute in a FiST that would be miserable.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Drive an Accord Sport first before you buy a Stinger. Toyota is coming out with a TRD Camry too, I'd take either of those over a Kia.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Isn't that the point tho if you want a comfortable DD and already have a sports car? A commuter appliance with an automatic isn't going to be very inspiring if you're used to driving a FiST obviously. I was speaking more in terms of reliability over a Kia, I'll take a Honda or Toyota all day long over that.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I hate to break it to you, but Honda and Toyota have had a lot of “are you loving serious?” engineering failures in the fairly recent-ish past. Just check out the Consumer Reports rankings :-/

Consumer reports? Lol no thanks.

http://dashboard-light.com/reports/Toyota.html

Kia is well below the industry average, I think I'll stay with Toyota or Honda at this point in Kia's career.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's a long term quality rating that's why. Guess it says something about the manufacturers below Mitsubishi huh :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

fknlo posted:

They have the M3 rated as "above average". I could maybe see that on the F8x? E46 and E9x? Not so much.

Cars like that tend to skew the rating because of the limited numbers and lower mileage examples I think.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Pibur posted:

Ah, I may be missing the point of the website. They only care about used cars. Still makes it less than useful for a car that was only introduced a little over a year ago, with a drivetrain that's similarly aged.

Yeah, obviously there's lots of information out there about newer cars, but if you want to find out how they will last it's a good indication imo.

I'm not trying to persuade you, but it's something to think about if you plan on keeping a car long term, and imo Kia isn't quite there yet.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

MunchE posted:

But I've learned in my long time of car enthusing that most people's opinion of brands is almost exclusively based with experiences with that brand 20 years prior

I've learned in my very long time of buying, owning and selling a lot of loving cars that the wanky website is actually pretty drat accurate :shrug:

[e] janky, my bad :v:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 10, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Elephanthead posted:

I sometimes take my wheels off just to inspect the brakes.

That's crazy talk, I just wait until I hear metal on metal grinding what's wrong with you people :colbert:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

angryrobots posted:

My local dealer showed a new FiST in stock, so I popped by to find out that it didn't exist, and none of the salespersons knew what a FiST was, and asked me flat out "why would you want that for?"

Death to car dealers imo

When I drove one it was the only one they had, and they wondered why I was interested in it, like I got strange looks.

The car was loving filthy like it hadn't been washed in months. It must have been parked in a gravel lot because there was gravel dust all over it, the floors and interior were dirty, it seriously looked liked a used car and it was obvious they didn't give a poo poo about it. And the funny thing is i called ahead the day before so they knew I was coming to see it so you think they would bother to clean the loving thing. I'm sure they figured they would just up sell me into something else anyway.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Kind of a pity that you need to go out of your state to get FiSTed.

I could get FiSTed easily in Florida.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I just wanted to make a FiSTing joke lol.

But yeah, Indiana I guess. Have one shipped from Florida again :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KillHour posted:

Yeah, but then you've been FiSTed by a Floridian. Nobody wants that. Who knows where that FiST has been?

That's why I was looking for a virgin FiST.

I thought wanted to get FiSTed initially, but it turns out the FiST is too small for my needs :colbert:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Etrips posted:

I was pretty set on getting a FiST before test driving a GTI. Then realized with a 120mi commute the GTI made more sense (comfort wise).

I was interested in a FiST until I drove a Civic Sport and a GTI. No contest, not even close.

Maybe if the FiST was WAY cheaper but it's really not all that cheap.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

A FiST just doesn't feel as natural as a VAG does

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KillHour posted:

Yeah but you can apply more FoRS with your FiST.

A FiST is too small tho, a VAG just feels better

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcXAelymbTI

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Elephanthead posted:

I could never shift with my left hand.

That's what I thought at first but you get used to it. It's the wiper/blinker stalks being flipped that really gently caress you up :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I firmly believe just about every hot hatch would be improved by sizing down an inch or two. Our roads aren't glass smooth, regardless of what the manufacturers want to believe.

The problem is most consumers that have no clue what effects ride quality think the bigger the wheels the better, it's loving stupid.

I tried to convince my brother he doesn't need 21" wheels on his work truck, that it would ride ten times better and he would have a more affordable and bigger selection of tires if he went to a smaller stock size, and his answer was "but these look cool"

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I mean it's a good answer

For a work truck? I don't know about that, he spends way more on tires than he should for a work truck imo but that's his choice.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I was kinda interested in a new Honda Fit sport MT....There are only two in the entire loving country, one in Tuscon and another in Salt lake City.

:wtc:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Who cares, fuel mileage is not the point of owning a car with a manual transmission.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

There's a regular slightly used Fit MT near me that I'm going to test drive this week just because I want to feel how it compares to the Civic. In terms of interior tho, the Civic is WAY better so I dunno, the Fit would have to really blow me away with the way it drives. It's at a Honda dealer so I'll be able to drive it right next to a Civic Sport MT. I thought that if I really liked the Fit I could source a Sport MT within a reasonable distance, but lol nope.

Will dealerships typically send new cars long distances for a sale? I might be tempted to pay a couple hundred or so if I really like the way the car drives. I'm assuming the Fit Sport is more of an appearance and interior package like the Civic so it should drive about the same as the regular version.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

wolrah posted:

To an enthusiast, yea, but to the mass market the main purpose of manual transmissions in the last 20 years or so was to save money on the initial purchase of the vehicle and/or on fuel.

Most people, especially those buying cheap cars, don't care about driving enjoyment for some reason.

Pretty sure we all realize that now, I was just voicing how I felt about it.

Also sad when you can't get a manual in base trim anymore either (thanks mazda)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yakety Horn is the answer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7L6fWBCGFY

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If you don't give a poo poo about interior quality go for it, that's my only complaint about the FiST.

Also yes I would without a doubt put the stock wheels back on and sell the RPF1s separate. Go to a used tire place and go that route.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So I'm thinking about possibly going with a used FiST, even tho I don't like the interior at all really, but I just can't find any other cars that are worth a poo poo to drive for the money I want to spend.

All of a sudden there are a bunch of used ones around at reasonable enough prices/miles for me to overlook the interior issues as long as it puts a smile on my face :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

They're an incredible value for the fun but consider whether you want the Recaro seats in it or not- they take up space in the already small cabin and some people hate sitting in them

There's one right around the corner from me that I'm gonna check out that's non Recaro. Seems like most of them are, I haven't even sat in one with recaros yet.

The car I'm gonna look at has 11k miles and they want 15k for it, not bad. When i was looking at them new for 20k+ I was like no thanks, but now I'm seeing a bunch 15k and under with low miles so it might be worth it to me now.

That and I really want to drive a Chevy Bolt, if I fell in love with the EV I might be willing to pay more than I was planning on.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Welp, test drove the FiST again and remembered one of the reasons I didn't like it....It feels way too cramped inside when I'm sitting in it. It's just too small lol. Drives great tho and is a joy to drive but I don't think i could live with it as a daily. Maybe I need to look at a FoST.

Found another xB tho with only 11k miles (2013) and Toyota Certified. It's the color I love (Army Rock) of my last car that got totaled which is pretty rare too. If they play ball I might just grab it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Test drove a Bolt today and I really liked it. Never have driven an EV before, it was so quiet and fast and handled really well too.

Problem is they are pretty far out of my price range, even used. Ugh.

maybe in a few years I guess.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

And snow tires lol

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Maybe combined?

:v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Looks like I'm driving to Panama City to pick up another xB lol.

Everything else has disappointed me besides the Chevy Bolt, and I can't afford that so I'm sticking with what I know and like.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Looks like he has an MS3 which is fwd so it's a pain. Rwd cars are usually much easier.

I would definitely pay someone else to do that job :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

MetaJew posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBi1aOjdDlA

Anyway, on a longitudinal mount, RWD engine a clutch job doesn't look that complicated, other than accessing bolts on top of the bell housing, but the FWD platform looks very tedious.

Yeah unless you have a lift gently caress that. I've never done any clutch job without a lift, what a pain in the dick that would be.

I'd just call around your local shops with good ratings/reps and take it to the one with the best quote unless you have a shop you use already.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

slothrop posted:

not sure if this has been posted in here, but it looks like a pretty sweet hot hatch!

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/the-toyota-gr-yaris-has-arrived-with-all-wheel-drive-and-a-257bhp-triple/

Yeah I've been watching that, no mention of it being sold in the US of course, probably because it's not a four door. :mad:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Here4DaGangBang posted:

That front end is pretty heinous too - mostly the squareness of the grille and related bits.

Funny you say that, I was thinking that it reminds me of the front of my xB :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

angryrobots posted:

The new Corolla hatchback has a 6 speed that is apparently really nice. I guess not that long ago 168 hp would have been a hot hatch but... It's really difficult for me to give up my XRS Matrix for something with similar-ish power with 400lbs more to lug around.

Please Toyota put a hairdryer on it. :pray: Or let Yamaha wave their magic wand in that direction again.

The shifter and clutch are nice but the engine is so gutless it’s not even worth it. From what I understand the CVT that Toyota has in it is pretty good with a real first gear that goes into CVT mode after that. Kinda want to drive one just to see how it feels, savagegeese seemed to really like it.