Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
So this is the thread to convince me which hatchback to buy? Sweet. I’m in the market for a new (used) car and this time I want a manual, dammit. Never had one and I want the engagement. I know *how* to drive manual but have had very limited exposure and want to get good at it.

Current front runners are a FoST ST3, or a mazda3 with premium package. For the FoST, what are the things to look at? Known weak points, etc.

Anything with a Cobb accessport still installed is definitely right off the list, that just screams hooned to an inch of its life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I’m not necessarily opposed to a GTI if it came down to it, but in the past I’ve owned a 2002 Jetta and 2008 Passat that spent a lot of time at the shop. I haven’t sworn off VAG altogether because of that but I would prefer something different.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Thanks for all the information everyone, very helpful. The fiesta st does sound like a riot, but I do want some creature comforts like heated seats, hence looking at Focus ST3s.

I thankfully don’t have to worry about car seats anymore, just boosters. I don’t see a situation where I’d be taking all three kids at once in the back either - that’s what the minivan is for. The most frequent passenger will be a 95lb dog.

Lots to think about while I’m browsing listings for sure.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Gonna start seriously looking for an ST3 in June. :getin:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Finally have the wife convinced and even about a specific ST3, gonna call them about a buy and fly tomorrow. Already got pre-approval from my bank.

We went to see a 2017 titanium yesterday as she was concerned about back seat space and is good with it, so I may just pull off the “normal focus to ST” switcheroo. She’s gonna be real annoyed, lmao.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Man, it’s hard to find an un- or lightly molested ST 402A with reasonable miles. Did a FaceTime to look at one earlier today and passed on it. Pictures looked good, but it had a stupid warm air intake, aftermarket bov, and a nearly straight pipe exhaust (visible but it wasn’t a rousch or other known quality exhaust). That plus some interior roughness made it an easy call.

Looked again through listings and called another place, after talking with the guy all it has is an aftermarket exhaust. It’s rare to see an st without an aftermarket exhaust anyways. He’s gonna send me an hd video walk around then we’ll go from there. Feel a lot better about this one plus it’s my preferred color.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
:hellyeah:

Found a yellow completely stock, single owner, 68k 2017 ST3 sold ford certified that is an hour and a half away from our family vacation spot next week. Told them to start getting me paperwork.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 28, 2023

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
A triple yellow 2017 ST 402A will be mine within a week. The fun part will be getting it home 400 miles after vacation having barely driven stick before. I’m sure I’ll be an expert by the end, because I’ll have to be!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
This thing is in mint condition, the PO took really good care of it. Not too hard to drive at all, just need to work on smooth shifting.

Just needs front bumper plugs and tint.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I’m gonna need to do a lot of hill start practice, did the dreaded stall with cars behind me today. :negative:

Wasn’t apparently enough of an incline for hill start assist to kick in even though it’s enabled.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Yeah I watched some videos when I got back to the hotel and slapped myself for not thinking of using the handbrake to hold.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Yeah, git gud is definitely the answer but hey, first manual car and I’ve only had it three days. Up until Wednesday my only exposure was 20 min in a friends Camry a week before doing the rusty wallace racing experience. Now to drive it 300 miles back home but that is all flat Midwest interstate.

MunchE posted:

Hey if you want a COBB rear motor mount and accessport I'll dump them for cheap, they've been in my garage for a couple years now since I sold my FoST

Sent you a PM.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Everything finally fully clicked today, I Get It. :hellyeah:

wearing flip-flops has helped me get the feel better than the thick-soled tennis shoes I was wearing.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Had the first visit to the local dealership, the cold side charge pipe for the intercooler popped off, so zero boost whatsoever. I was pretty sure that’s what it was, but since it’s under cpo warranty for two months to the dealership it went. They also replaced the right rearview mirror assembly, as there is a temp sensor in there that also went bad. That, at least, was covered under the warranty.

Then once I got home, I put on the logo insert stickers that arrived yesterday.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
that feeling when you get the roundabout in second gear just right

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
What are the best mud flaps for the FoST?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

i have rokblocks on the fist

they work

I like the splash guards they have with the lower profile, definitely going to put that on my list.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Big thanks again to MunchE for selling me a Cobb rear engine mount, just had it installed. I can definitely feel a difference, power delivery seems less….floppy.

Now to wait until the used certified warranty expires to install the basic Cobb tune. :getin:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
ok fine, fine, stage 1 87 octane is installed. Might try out the 93 tune once I get a couple of tanks of it through.

The $35 3-D printed a-pillar clamp mount on amazon is pretty solid, no complaints. Very happy with even the basic mild tune, combined with the rear engine mount it is so much more responsive all around on the throttle. My wife has no idea that it's more than a computer that lets you monitor things.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Oh I can, she just wouldn’t really care (but not in a negative way like she doesn’t want to listen to me). To her, cars are an unfortunate necessity to get from A to B that you have to spend lots of money on.

She doesn’t get cars the way those of us posting in this sub forum do. The only thing she cared about when buying this one was if there was enough room for all three kids in the back.

If true FSD from any manufacturer was available she would be a huge fan and use it constantly.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
93 octane tune is a very good time. Definitely need to have the tires warmed up before putting any good load on them.

Found a friend in the Lowe’s parking lot:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Took the afternoon off and drove to visit a friend/coworker an hour away….in the fun part of the state. Took the scenic route there, with lots of hills and twisties including some sketchy gravel roads through a state forest.

Nothing too stupid, it is deer season after all.

I should get some splash/mud guards, I’m gonna ask for rally sport ones for Christmas.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Did the first oil change in the ST, it was time. Read about using the Motorcraft FL-400S filter to get a tiny bit more oil volume; now six quarts is perfect on the dipstick.

Had a fun time getting it in the air, my jack isn’t low enough. Thankfully a friend had a Daytona low profile long reach, which has *just* enough clearance to reach the center of the front sub-frame.

Had one of the kids help me, the other two weren’t interested.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Asked for some rallyarmor mud flaps for the ST for Christmas from the in-laws. Installed them this afternoon when we got home, gonna have to take it out tomorrow in the rain.

They jumped to the top of my list a couple of months ago when I was driving around a state forest and the gps sent me down a gravel road.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
A hot hatch that can go faster than my V8 genesis did is bonkers. As is the aero on that thing.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Just avoided a collision earlier thanks to the FoST maneuverability. Went to go drop something off at my wife’s workplace, so I was making a protected left turn onto a divided 2-lane each way high traffic road. Town cop pulls up behind me.

I make the left turn into the left lane as one should, then signal and move over into the right lane. As soon as I do, an idiot fixated on the right lane only and further down pulls out right in front of me from the car wash.

Reaction took over and I whipped it back into the left lane and avoided the truck by about 2-3ft. Didn’t even have any tire squeal, just control the entire way.

Got a good eyeful of the dude from my right side window. I pulled into my wife’s workplace immediately after, so I didn’t see if the guy got a talking to.

I would have been so very, very pissed, it took a while and I got lucky finding my single owner unmodified ST.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
finally got tint today, I like how it makes the yellow pop even more.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Have you painted your calipers yellow?

No, but now I want to - the thought hadn’t crossed my mind.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
The ST logos were just a sticker, the calipers require a lot more effort. But it will definitely be worth it.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
….how about the Lowe’s or Costco parking lot instead?

I had to search far and wide to find mine and got lucky - single owner and judging by a forgotten piece of mail in the glovebox, older. Took at least three months of searching as the market of used ones that aren’t distasteful in someway is, indeed, dire.

Saw a preliminary post on autotrader up at a dealer in Wisconsin without any pictures so I called for a sales person. They took me on a FaceTime walk around and I put a deposit down later that day. Conveniently we were going to Wisconsin dells for vacation that very next week, so we drove over and picked it up mid-week and I drove it back home.

Makes me happy every time I get into it.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I just upgraded sync3 to the very latest version. Real stupid how you have to downgrade, then upgrade if you are past a certain release.

Took it down south last Monday and had a glorious uninterrupted run of 7-8 miles on some very twisty, hilly terrain. Now that foliage is starting to come in I won’t be able to go through there anymore, it drops the visibility a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Ehud posted:

driving a manual makes me feel like i'm cooler than i really am

It’s a good dad car. On the rare occasion I do front of school drop-off, the ST definitely stands out in the line of cars. The bright yellow doesn’t hurt either.