Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

FRINGE posted:

The only solution at hand is to start releasing people. Hes a politician. Not likely to happen. :(

This is exactly what the SCOTUS ordered that he do in 2011. Let's be clear here this is not business as usual; politicians have done unpopular things when required to by law before, his current defiance is in fact exceptionally assholish even for a governor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

UberJew posted:

This is exactly what the SCOTUS ordered that he do in 2011. Let's be clear here this is not business as usual; politicians have done unpopular things when required to by law before, his current defiance is in fact exceptionally assholish even for a governor.
I both agree and disagree.

I disagree with the "exceptionally" part. I would say it is predictable. The Governator himself did a 180 regarding a high-prfile prison issue when the Prison Industry barked at him.

Brown wont release prison_money_units until he is leaving for good, or the feds are literally hauling him away for some kind of PR-constructed anti-CA tribunal (which is the only way it would happen).

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I remember computing about a decade or so ago that the price California farmers pay for water was about 70 times cheaper than residents paid on their water bills. We really do grow water-sensitive crops in semi-arid regions.

At least politicians have started acknowledging that the problem might be the subsidized pricing rather than suggest people take fewer showers when there's a drought.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I live in the Inland Empire and work in Irvine and sometimes I just want to kill myself.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Sinestro posted:

I know it's a Republican cliché, but there is a lot of bullshit regulation. For example, "CARB certification" requires that an aftermarket part manufacturer give CARB a car of each model and model year that they would like to certify the part for, as well as $10,000 for each model and model year. It has no benefit over simply measuring emissions at the tailpipe other than making money.

This is actually not correct.
SMOG tests are designed to test the efficiency at known points to make sure known equipment is working properly. For example, at 3000 RPMs and idle.
It does not actually test the efficacy of the part, only that the part is working. If you test it at 3000RPM, you know it works at 3000RPM. Or idle.
But you have full throttle to no throttle and then load issues.
You could never get this done in 30 minutes and smog tests would cost a poo poo ton more.
$10,000 may be a bit much for certification, but I bet the actual cost with someone who knows what they are doing would run well into the thousands.
(This isn't to say that exempting limited use vehicles -- say <5000mi per year -- wouldn't be a good.)

---------------

As for prison overcrowding, they could change four laws in this state and solve the problem for good.
Dewobble and make the following misdemeanors and make it retroactive. Make them 1 year misdemeanors.
Petty theft w/prior, 2nd degree commercial burglary (basically shoplifting, but you admit you came into the store with intent -- you can go to prison on a first of these), and the simple possession statues.
Despite AB109, prosecutors are still finding ways to send these people to state for a long, long time (saw an 8 year SP offer for shoplifting food). Yes, these people have priors, but 4 years in prison costs $200,000.
The valley and the IE love this poo poo, and it is costing the rest of you big money. San Bernardino county has the second largest prison population (after LA) despite being only the 5th largest county. I suspect Kern, Riverside, and Fresno are way up that list too.

nm fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 30, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I don't know, I'd rather be in prison than live in Fresno.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Rah! posted:

It's funny how you think authentic Mexican food is wrong. And yes they do look fantastic, but only to non-crazy people.

Needs some radish slices.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Are there any viable/realistic options for politicians to tackle the prison industry in CA? As a politician how would you even begin to reign in such a thing without blowback from the industry leading to the public calling for resignation for not being "tough on crime"? I'd imagine many politicians would love to do such a thing but having the prison groups against you seems like you would be out of a job in no time.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Are there any viable/realistic options for politicians to tackle the prison industry in CA? As a politician how would you even begin to reign in such a thing without blowback from the industry leading to the public calling for resignation for not being "tough on crime"? I'd imagine many politicians would love to do such a thing but having the prison groups against you seems like you would be out of a job in no time.

Not really it's a destructive feedback system due to the power of prison unions and the tendency for the public to want a tough on crime approach.

For people not famliar with the prison union it does everything in its power to block prison reform such as helping to fund a campaign for the origina Three Strike system and also manipulating the whole proposition system to block common sense reforms such as reducing prison time for non-violent crimes. I'm a supporter of organized labor but influencing the whole political progress to get more people thrown in jail is a pretty disgusting concept.

Link:
http://www.policymic.com/articles/41531/union-of-the-snake-how-california-s-prison-guards-subvert-democracy

etalian fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 30, 2013

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

All Of The Dicks posted:

Can someone explain the purpose of San Diego?

Look at this poo poo. Why, yes, I would love some dry ground beef and cilantro on a corn tortilla the size of a quarter. That sounds loving fantastic. Give me a whole plate of them.

Look at the loving post. Its called 'carne asada' and that specimen looks pretty drat good.

You might be a bit thrown by its lack of a hard taco shell and sour cream and guac not slathered over it.

-Misfit-
Apr 20, 2005

I come in the name of Jesus Christ by the power of the holy spirit Bitch!
Tex-Mex is loving terrible. San Diego Mexican food is clearly superior.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Screw you guys. San Diego owns, California burritos own, and tiny $1 carne asada tacos own. It's an amazing city with terrible politics. :colbert:

spiralbrain posted:

Its the Obama effect. Its the lesser of two evils. DeMaio seemed just plain off in the head.

I wasn't exactly excited with the mayor choices in the run off. I did look into it though and it looks like some of the mayor's staff isn't happy with the work environment. Filner's been doing some weird poo poo. I saw on Twitter that lifeguards weren't allowed to speak to media without direct approval from Filner himself. Also gently caress him for taking away that free 3 hour parking with validation at Horton Plaza.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The prison is likely in Kings County.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Does anyone remember the poorly thought out secessionist movement floated around, where the more Conservative parts would form their own state free from the Left-Wing influences of the rest of the state? Never mind how those places would survive without the water pumped in to them from Northern California (and how Hispanic immigration means those places would go Blue in five years anyway).

This oughta be in the OP, it's the national anthem of California.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

nm posted:

The prison is likely in Kings County.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

I like the lonely prison up in the far northeast. Poor guy just wants some buddies to crush human rights with :(

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Gen. Ripper posted:

I like the lonely prison up in the far northeast. Poor guy just wants some buddies to crush human rights with :(

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that's Pelican Bay, where they do not, as they say, gently caress around. Also did you mean Northwest?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Gavin Newsom, is he a PC charlatan as Adam Carolla states? Or is he something else entirely?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Nonsense posted:

Gavin Newsom, is he a PC charlatan as Adam Carolla states? Or is he something else entirely?

He is a vessel for hair gel and liquor.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

EnsGDT posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that's Pelican Bay, where they do not, as they say, gently caress around. Also did you mean Northwest?

Yes, apparently I failed high school geography and didn't know it.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Nonsense posted:

He was really good as GOB on Arrested Development.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Nonsense posted:

Don't loving listen to Adam Carolla. :cmon:

dr.gigolo
May 9, 2006

Chinatown posted:

Look at the loving post. Its called 'carne asada' and that specimen looks pretty drat good.

You might be a bit thrown by its lack of a hard taco shell and sour cream and guac not slathered over it.

San Diego has ruined Mission burritos for me. They always seem so surprised when I ask for no rice in my gigantic 3 pound burrito.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

FCKGW posted:

I live in the Inland Empire and work in Irvine and sometimes I just want to kill myself.

A drive like that, I want to kill myself.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams
California.

Knows how to party.

Play posted:

Don't loving listen to Adam Carolla. :cmon:

What about Dr. Drew?

Shade2142
Oct 10, 2012

Rollin'
Can someone explain to me the allure of living in a trailer out in the California desert?

Also, don't set the OC on fire, I'd appreciate it.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

dr.gigolo posted:

San Diego has ruined Mission burritos for me. They always seem so surprised when I ask for no rice in my gigantic 3 pound burrito.

I actually sometimes like adding rice into some SD style burritos; holds the hot sauce well.

Proper, well built burritos, regardless of origin are basically perfect food delivery systems.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Nonsense posted:

He's a complete charlatan. I worked for the awesomely named Quintin Mecke when he ran against him (I think he got 5% of the vote or something) for mayor. In order to get a good photo op at a homeless shelter, Gavin had the residents ejected so that he could pretend there was spare capacity in the system.

And he hosed his best friend's alcoholic wife.

Obdicut fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jun 30, 2013

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

Newsom's a politician robot pretending to be a man

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Obdicut posted:

And he hosed his best friend's alcoholic wife.

And Newsom is an alcoholic too. Or was, at least.

dr.gigolo posted:

There are taquerias in SF that don't put rice in their burritos. I agree that they're better with no rice, though sometimes having rice in there does hit the spot. Both SD and SF have great burritos, but SD is usually cheaper, which is always nice.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jun 30, 2013

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Rah! posted:

There are taquerias in SF that don't put rice in their burritos. I agree that they're better with no rice, though sometimes having rice in there does hit the spot. Both SD and SF have great burritos, but SD is usually cheaper, which is always nice.

The Cancun in SF is my favorite cheap-as-hell Mexican spot, and they're never shocked by the 'no rice'. Instead, you often get a brief, curt smile, a small show of respect.

I left SF three years ago for NYC. I miss it a lot. And I recently realized I've never lived anywhere that isn't crazy-expensive, and I'm just a working dude.

Content: The San Onofre nuclear power plant is going to close, and a lot of pro-nuke people are pointing to it as California regulating something to death. It spells out a lot of the dangers of private nuclear, and is worth looking into if you're into that sort of thing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/08/business/san-onofre-nuclear-plant-in-california-to-close.html

Obdicut fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jun 30, 2013

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Armani posted:

What about Dr. Drew?
gently caress no. Wanna lock him in a cell with a 40 and a bat and Dr Dre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUKo3QUzn9Y

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

I'm not a Californian, but as someone with considerable interest in American public higher education, the situation of the UCs and the other public systems in your state bums me out because for so long you guys have been so loving dope.

It's certainly not a situation where I can hold up another state that's doing better, but I'm curious how locals perceive/discuss this issue and where it might lead y'all in the future.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nonsense posted:

He's actually a Nexus 5 replicant according to a test administered by the now defunct Wave Magazine.
http://www.onlisareinsradar.com/archives/001698.php

quote:

SUBJECT 6: GAVIN NEWSOM

The Wave: Reaction time is a factor in this, so please pay attention. Now, answer as quickly as you can.

It’s your birthday. Someone gives you a calfskin wallet. How do you react?
Gavin Newsom: I don’t have anything to put in it. I would thank them and move on.

TW: You’ve got a little boy. He shows you his butterfly collection plus the killing jar. What do you do?
GN: I would tell him to… You know what? I wouldn’t know how to respond. How’s that for an answer? Is this a psychological test? I’m worried…

TW: They’re just questions, Gavin. In answer to your query, they’re written down for me. It’s a test, designed to provoke an emotional response.
GN: Oh, I got you.

TW: Shall we continue?
GN: Sure.

TW: You’re watching television. Suddenly you realize there’s a wasp crawling on your arm. How would you react?
GN: I would quietly sit and wait for the wasp to move to the next victim.

TW: You’re in a desert walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down, and you see a tortoise, Gavin, it’s crawling toward you. You reach down, you flip the tortoise over on its back, Gavin. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can’t, not without your help. But you’re not helping. Why is that, Gavin?
GN: [Immediately] Not a chance. I would never flip the tortoise over in the first place.

TW: Describe in single words, only the good things that come into your mind. About your mother.
GN: Ethics. Commitment. Sacrifice.

CONCLUSION: Almost too close to call. Almost. Newsom displays a defensiveness when his empathy is questioned. He’s aware that he’s being probed for emotional responses, and even expresses concern about this. However, this concern is alleviated a little too easily by our crafty V-K interviewer. Newsom is definitely a replicant. Probably a Nexus 5.

etalian fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 30, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

double negative posted:

I'm not a Californian, but as someone with considerable interest in American public higher education, the situation of the UCs and the other public systems in your state bums me out because for so long you guys have been so loving dope.

It's certainly not a situation where I can hold up another state that's doing better, but I'm curious how locals perceive/discuss this issue and where it might lead y'all in the future.

As a student, a lot of my peers are basically like "Let's get the hell out of here ASAP before our tuition skyrockets even higher."

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sinestro posted:

I know it's a Republican cliché, but there is a lot of bullshit regulation. For example, "CARB certification" requires that an aftermarket part manufacturer give CARB a car of each model and model year that they would like to certify the part for, as well as $10,000 for each model and model year. It has no benefit over simply measuring emissions at the tailpipe other than making money.

california.jpg

These signs are literally EVERYWHERE in California. The best part is how there are places with no smoking signs and warnings that secondhand smoke causes cancer RIGHT NEXT to these signs.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

FRINGE posted:

gently caress no. Wanna lock him in a cell with a 40 and a bat and Dr Dre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUKo3QUzn9Y

Fantastic music link aside - any reason to distrust Drew? My brother adores him and has cut his drinking back significantly listening to his podcast. My brother also loves Zeitgeist and poo poo so maybe it's related?? (Edit: I guess Drew is involved in some kind of criminal case right now)

Also it's gonna be like 100 out today, goons.

Armani fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 30, 2013

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

CURATOR OF ANIME posted:

How is the California High-Speed Rail coming along? Have they even begun construction? This state needs one badly.

The first section is going to be built in central CA where nobody will want to ride it, because it's cheaper to build it there. Then because nobody is riding it, they will use that as an excuse to kill the project before it connects a major city, taking the money to go build more prisons.

Save this post and congratulate me in a few decades when it becomes true.

iota subscript
Oct 26, 2010

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! OFFERS 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE TO ANY LIBERAL - ONE SA MEMBER STARTS TO ACCEPT, THEN BACKS OUT AND WETS PANTS AFTER LEARNING IRONKNUCKLE HAS DEBATED ON TELEVISION BEFORE! READ HERE

double negative posted:

My tuition for a full-load semester at Long Beach City College in 1991: $82.50.

Then, Pete Wilson happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Zeitgueist posted:

The first section is going to be built in central CA where nobody will want to ride it, because it's cheaper to build it there. Then because nobody is riding it, they will use that as an excuse to kill the project before it connects a major city, taking the money to go build more prisons.

Save this post and congratulate me in a few decades when it becomes true.

gently caress :(

• Locked thread