Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ufarn
May 30, 2009
For those of you in college or academia, how big is the MOOC craze there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Armani posted:

Fantastic music link aside - any reason to distrust Drew?
He pushes psych meds like a pimp pushes hos. I am not a fan. (For perspective I have worked at a locked psychiatric facility in the past as a MHW. I am not Alex-Jones-ing here.)

Excuse all the crappy second rate Time links. I dont want to dig through the forest of folders to find my old effortpost material.

quote:

Pinsky reportedly accepted the six-figure sum over the course of two months in 1999 for extolling the virtues of the antidepressant “in settings where it did not appear that [he] was speaking for GSK,” according to the Justice Department.

Pinsky, who would later go on to host “Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew" and "Sober House" touted Wellbutrin SR for its ability to “increase libido” in depressed patients.

... GSK also encouraged doctors and medical health-experts to prescribe Wellbutrin for non-FDA approved treatment for weight loss, ADHD and drug addiction.

Also the typical "Here take this drug I make money pushing, sure it can cause anxiety and seizures, and sure it is no more effective than a placebo, but COME ON MAN DO IT $$$$$$".
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/drug-information/DR600283/DSECTION=side-effects

http://au.businessinsider.com/14-documents-from-glaxosmithklines-3-billion-drug-marketing-scandal-that-will-disgust-you-2012-7

quote:

GlaxoSmithKline paid $3 billion to end an investigation by the Department of Justice into its illegal marketing of the antidepressants Paxil and Wellbutrin, and the diabetes drug Avandia. The payment—the largest ever in drug marketing—is accompanied by criminal convictions for the company.

The deal also reveals the DOJ's evidence against the company, collected over more than a decade, dating back to the late 1990s.

Among that evidence:

GSK promoted Paxil for children when in fact it can cause suicidal behavior in kids.
GSK promoted Wellbutrin as a sex drug and TV's Dr. Drew Pinsky was on the company's payroll.
And GSK gave lavish vacations and "speaking fees" to doctors who agreed to promote the drugs to their colleagues.

http://healthland.time.com/2012/01/18/new-research-on-the-antidepressant-versus-placebo-debate/

quote:

However, Krystal adds, just under a quarter of patients did not respond well to drug treatment and in fact did worse on antidepressants than did patients who were given a placebo.

A separate study published in the American Journal of Psychiatry (AJP) in December highlights other potential complications. The authors of that paper report that since 1980, the percentage of depressed patients responding to a placebo in clinical trials has risen by 7% per decade, reaching 50% in some studies.

Given the complexities of studying antidepressants — which appear to be placebos for some, poisons for others and miracle pills for yet others — it seems that data analysis in antidepressant research will likely remain a growth industry for decades to come.

Big money if youre a pusher though.

http://healthland.time.com/2011/11/16/report-whos-taking-mental-health-drugs-in-america/

quote:

More than 1 in 5 American adults now takes at least one type of medication to treat a psychological disorder, a 22% rise since 2001, according to new statistics released by Medco Health Solutions, which monitors drug trends in insurance claims. The data don't necessarily mean that we are overmedicated. Indeed, the World Health Organization estimates that slightly more than a quarter of Americans suffer from mental illness in any given year.

Keep redefining "normal" until the pills run out! Hire a hoard of Dr Drews to sell your poo poo...

You know what is convenient about stress-inducing shows like Dr Drews Advice Hour?:
http://healthland.time.com/2011/08/03/study-how-chronic-stress-can-lead-to-depression/

quote:

Study: How Chronic Stress Can Lead to Depression

The new research, published in Nature, builds on earlier studies showing that chronic high stress kills neurons and prevents neurogenesis — or the birth of new brain cells — in a region called the hippocampus. Neurogenesis in the hippocampus seems to be necessary for a healthy stress response.

Anyway, back to Drew - like most whitecoats on the pharma payroll he is an unremitting and unapologetic piece of poo poo:

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/07/how-dr-drew-sold-his-cred-to-big-pharma/259473/

quote:

How Dr. Drew Sold His Cred to Big Pharma

On Monday night, Dr. Drew Pinsky's program on HLN -- the network formerly known as CNN Headline News -- explored the everyman's dilemma of "how to tell if your doctor is hooked on drugs." Informative as the segment proved to be, one surefire signal your doc's hooked didn't come up. Any time federal prosecutors release a cache of documents proving that a pharmaceutical company paid your doctor $275,000 as part of a criminal plan to market its antidepressant for unapproved uses, your doctor has a drug problem. Dr. Pinsky is one of many physicians GlaxoSmithKline (formerly Glaxo Wellcome) sent around to trump up Wellbutrin's potential uses outside of FDA ground rules. His activities, elaborately decorated as a public educational campaign, amounted to a convenient contraption GSK used to launder illegal marketing messages.

Though GSK pled criminally guilty and will fork out $3 billion in penalties for violations ranging from illegal marketing to misreporting drug prices, Pinsky's role as GSK's enabler doesn't constitute a crime. But the extent to which he deceived his audiences as part of the GSK-prescribed program, which involved town halls, writings, and media appearances, ought to end his career with CNN.

Dr. Drew hasn't apologized and has instead issued a statement saying his comments about Wellbutrin were based on his own clinical experience. That's the claim most doctors make when pressed about giving remarkably on-message pharma-sponsored talks.
http://www.occupyhln.org/dr-drew/dr-drew-pinsky-and-his-checkered-history-of-robbing-people/

quote:

n Dr. Drew’s case, the Justice Department isn’t the first to point out that he’s been taking money from pharmaceutical companies and medical device manufacturers. In January, while researching conflicts of interest caused by pharmaceutical payments, Slate.com discovered that Pinsky had taken $115,000 from Janssen Pharmaceuticals. When the news went public, Janssen was the first to defend Pinsky, stating that the money was for a program “aimed at educating teens, parents, and educators about the prevalence and serious risks of teen prescription drug abuse in the U.S. …” And Alison Rudnick, a spokesperson for CNN’s Headline News network, home of the show Dr. Drew, emailed Slate.com to confirm that, if appropriate, “Dr. Drew would provide an on-air disclaimer if he were to do a story involving Janssen Pharmaceuticals.” Be that as it may, there was no such disclaimer last week when the subject of the Dr. Drew show was gastric bypass surgery — even though the Los Angeles Times had an article in December questioning the propriety of Pinsky’s role as a spokesperson for 1-800-GET-THIN, a lap-band surgery marketing firm (a source at Headline News says that the lap-band deal had elapsed by the time the gastric bypass show aired, so no disclosure was necessary).

Theres a bunch of really disturbing exposes on the ways pharma uses disgraced doctors to "educate" both the public and other doctors using a bunch of researched manipulation techniques to get their pills in your body.

Report Details Drug Company’s Close Ties With Disgraced Doctor (Midei)
http://www.propublica.org/blog/item/read-report-details-drug-companys-close-ties-with-disgraced-doctor

Disgraced FDA Official Goes Back to Big Pharma (Gottlieb)
http://www.alternet.org/story/72513/disgraced_fda_official_goes_back_to_big_pharma

Big Pharma buys off the Senate
http://www.salon.com/2013/01/25/big_pharma_buys_off_the_senate/

Back to Drew - plus all of his sex advice was: "Well I have daughters and ... I dont approve of what you are saying... "

(e: wow today was typo day. must be time for my pills.)

FRINGE fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 30, 2013

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The solution to overstuffed UCs has been to encourage students to attend community colleges for the first two years, then transfer. This led to the community colleges being stuffed, too, and with no extra budget to account for the extra students. This led to foundation courses for popular majors being overbooked for years.

A bright chancellor at one of the SoCal community colleges (I forget which) proposed a solution: raise the prices on the most popular courses to cut down demand. No, seriously. :commissar:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

A bright chancellor at one of the SoCal community colleges (I forget which) proposed a solution: raise the prices on the most popular courses to cut down demand. No, seriously. :commissar:
Its what his undergrad econ prof advised him to do. :smug:

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet

havalux posted:

My tuition for a full-load semester at Long Beach City College in 1991: $82.50.

Then, Pete Wilson happened.

My tuition for an overloaded semester at Orange Coast in 2011: $42.00

(Of course this is the dirty poors rate :ssh:)

Considering that it's a beeline into a UC it feels kind of like a mousetrap. Hey look I can afford college this isn't so ha- OH GOD WHERE IS MY MONEY. WHERE HAS IT ALL GONE. :gonk:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Revener posted:

My tuition for an overloaded semester at Orange Coast in 2011: $42.00

(Of course this is the dirty poors rate :ssh:)

Considering that it's a beeline into a UC it feels kind of like a mousetrap. Hey look I can afford college this isn't so ha- OH GOD WHERE IS MY MONEY. WHERE HAS IT ALL GONE. :gonk:

And then for even the Cal State schools trying to get a masters it's just stupid. It would have cost my wife $50,000 and an extra year because of prerequisites from not having a business degree to start with to get her MBA from Cal State Fullerton where it's only going to cost her $20,000 more to go to Chapman and be out a year earlier.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Zeitgueist posted:

The first section is going to be built in central CA where nobody will want to ride it, because it's cheaper to build it there. Then because nobody is riding it, they will use that as an excuse to kill the project before it connects a major city, taking the money to go build more prisons.

Save this post and congratulate me in a few decades when it becomes true.

I admit I don't follow state politics too much (or any politics much, because there's so much bullshit and I like my blood pressure to stay low) and am a bit ignorant about how much of it works, but I do know plenty of politicians (mostly conservative I think?) want to kill CA high speed rail, and have thrown up some roadblocks (as are some whiny, wealthy NIMBY types who hate noisy trains or whatever).

But...I feel there's gotta be a chance that it actually happens (beyond the first central valley segment to nowhere). First off, tons of residents actually do want it, and poo poo tons of money has already been spent planning and designing the system and all that. Second, every major city in CA really wants it. San Francisco is already building an underground high speed rail station in the middle of downtown, and I like to think such a massive and expensive project wouldn't be under way if the powers that be weren't reasonably sure that the HSR system will get built. Finally, a lot of people high up in CA's government are from those cities that want the high speed rail, and that's gotta count for something right? Governor Jerry Brown is a San Francisco native/Oakland resident, and former mayor of Oakland, Lt. Goveror Gavin Newsom is an SF native/Bay Area resident and former mayor of SF (and was mayor when the HSR terminal was designed/approved and when it broke ground, so he's obviously supportive of it), Attorney General Kamala Harris is an Oakland native/SF resident, and former DA of SF, etc.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 30, 2013

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx

A Winner is Jew posted:

And then for even the Cal State schools trying to get a masters it's just stupid. It would have cost my wife $50,000 and an extra year because of prerequisites from not having a business degree to start with to get her MBA from Cal State Fullerton where it's only going to cost her $20,000 more to go to Chapman and be out a year earlier.

I got a MA at Cal Baptist....and it cost me about 20K for 6 semesters. Cal State Fullerton Undergrads were dirt cheap when I went (I was able to pay out of pocket) then the fee hikes happened and now it's all a bit out of control.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I can't help feeling like the prison industry in California is akin to the defense industry in America: lots of money spent on bullshit that's immune from budgetary pressure. I hate that we spend more money oppressing poors and minorities than we do on educating them.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Cam someone enlighten me on the benefits of this high speed rail line? I live in California and take the Metrolink trains about 2 hours a day but I'm unsure of who this high speed line is for? Are people going to commute from LA to SD or SF? Or is this more an alternative to flying with ticket prices to match?

I can see a few segments being popular like the IE to LA lines but many of them don't seem like they will see much use.

Also whatever happened with those crazy plans to dig a tunnel through the mountain next to the 91 freeway? I see they're expanding the 91 express toll lanes now but nothing on regular traffic.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Rah! posted:

I admit I don't follow state politics too much (or any politics much, because there's so much bullshit and I like my blood pressure to stay low) and am a bit ignorant about how much of it works, but I do know plenty of politicians (mostly conservative I think?) want to kill CA high speed rail, and have thrown up some roadblocks (as are some whiny, wealthy NIMBY types who hate noisy trains or whatever).

But...I feel there's gotta be a chance that it actually happens (beyond the first central valley segment to nowhere). First off, tons of residents actually do want it, and poo poo tons of money has already been spent planning and designing the system and all that. Second, every major city in CA really wants it. San Francisco is already building an underground high speed rail station in the middle of downtown, and I like to think such a massive and expensive project wouldn't be under way if the powers that be weren't reasonably sure that the HSR system will get built. Finally, a lot of people high up in CA's government are from those cities that want the high speed rail, and that's gotta count for something right? Governor Jerry Brown is a San Francisco native/Oakland resident, and former mayor of Oakland, Lt. Goveror Gavin Newsom is an SF native/Bay Area resident and former mayor of SF (and was mayor when the HSR terminal was designed/approved and when it broke ground, so he's obviously supportive of it), Attorney General Kamala Harris is an Oakland native/SF resident, and former DA of SF, etc.

Don't listen to him, it'll happen one way or another. Hopefully we're still alive when it does!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

San Francisco wants high-speed rail (and so do I) but holy cow is the San Francisco Peninsula NIMBY about it. A lot of businesses and people's backyards are at stake, to say nothing of noise issues.

I still think high-speed rail is a very, very good idea, but the eminent domain costs (and the legal fees thereof) are going to be staggering.

e:

quote:

Are people going to commute from LA to SD or SF? Or is this more an alternative to flying with ticket prices to match?
A lot of people already do commute between those three cities. Furthermore, a lot of people in between visit those cities reasonably often. High-speed rail isn't just SF-LA, it's Sacramento, Stockton, San Francisco, San Jose, Fresno, Bakersfield, Palmdale, Los Angeles, Anaheim, Riverside, Irvine, and San Diego.

High-speed rail is more energy efficient, more comfortable than air travel, less sensitive to weather, and connects city centers rather than outlying airports.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 30, 2013

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mayor Dave posted:

I can't help feeling like the prison industry in California is akin to the defense industry in America: lots of money spent on bullshit that's immune from budgetary pressure. I hate that we spend more money oppressing poors and minorities than we do on educating them.

You also have a entity (Prison unions) actively shooting down attempts at prison reform because more warm bodies in jail means better pay and more job security for the union.

It's also a union that actively opposed things such as prison guard searches/metal detectors despite guards being caught smuggling in cell phones and contraband for inside organized crime.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

San Francisco wants high-speed rail (and so do I) but holy cow is the San Francisco Peninsula NIMBY about it. A lot of businesses and people's backyards are at stake, to say nothing of noise issues.

I still think high-speed rail is a very, very good idea, but the eminent domain costs (and the legal fees thereof) are going to be staggering.

Plus ambitious projects on such a scale always go over budget by a significant amount due to all the unknowns and technical problems.

etalian fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 30, 2013

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Mayor Dave posted:

I can't help feeling like the prison industry in California is akin to the defense industry in America

Its a long uphill battle too.

http://www.vice.com/read/whos-getting-rich-off-the-prison-industrial-complex

quote:

The Vanguard Group and Fidelity Investments are America’s top two 401(k) providers. They are also two of the private prison industry’s biggest investors.

This is especially true for government employees like public school teachers because their retirement funds are some of the biggest investors in private prisons.

Most of these employees are probably unaware that their pensions are tied to prisons—and it’s hard to say that these are “bad” investments from a purely capitalistic perspective, since these prisons are making money hand over fist. The private prison industry is entrenched in our society. And the only way to make sure that we’re not individually and collectively profiting off of it is to close these things.

So people that are actually anti-prison-complex are (unknowingly) tricked into supporting it via their own retirement funds. Yet another strategic trick of the "privatize it" crowd regarding retirement.

Which has helped (neo-slavery, same as the old slavery):

http://www.globalresearch.ca/profit-driven-prison-industrial-complex-the-economics-of-incarceration-in-the-usa/29109
http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-prison-industry-in-the-united-states-big-business-or-a-new-form-of-slavery/8289
http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-pentagon-and-slave-labor-in-u-s-prisons/25376

quote:

The number of people imprisoned under state and federal custody increased 772% percent between 1970 and 2009, largely due to the incredible influence private corporations wield against the American legal system.

Furthermore, prison labor is employed not only in the assembly of complex components used in F-15 fighter jets and Cobra helicopters, it also supplies 98% of the entire market for equipment assembly services, with similar statistics in regard to products such as paints, stoves, office furniture, headphones, and speakers.

quote:

Prisoners earning 23 cents an hour in U.S. federal prisons are manufacturing high-tech electronic components for Patriot Advanced Capability 3 missiles, launchers for TOW (Tube-launched, Optically tracked, Wire-guided) anti-tank missiles, and other guided missile systems.

And there is the Old Enemy (propaganda):

http://www.publiceye.org/defendingjustice/overview/herzing_pic.html

quote:

The media have played a pivotal role in cementing who and what we understand as "criminal," what suitable responses are to "criminal" acts, as well as creating and amplifying feelings of fear and vulnerability among their audiences.7 According to a 1996 ABC News poll, for instance, 76% of the public said they develop their opinions about crime as a result of news stories, while only 22% based their opinions on information gained through personal experience.

quote:

Despite the fact that prisons are incredibly detrimental both to the communities from which prisoners come and the communities in which prisons are located, they continue to be pawned off on poor communities as economic miracles. Public officials often portray prisons as "clean industries" and promise hundreds of good jobs to economically desperate towns.

Sense?

http://www.truth-out.org/progressive-picks/item/16003-the-prison-industrial-complex-the-pac-man-that-destroys-lives

quote:

Most people don't realize that it costs, let's say $25,000 a year, to pay for the imprisonment of one person for a year (and that figure varies of course) and a lot more for solitary confinement. Many people are in prison because they couldn't find jobs in their neighborhood except selling drugs. Why not just find them a job that pays at least $25,000 a year and help rebuild communities instead of perpetuating the selling of drugs to feed the prison-industrial complex?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Also - its going to get worse before/if it gets better.

https://www.rutherford.org/publicat...ustrial_complex

quote:

Yet while providing security, housing, food, medical care, etc., for six million Americans is a hardship for cash-strapped states, to profit-hungry corporations such as Corrections Corp of America (CCA) and GEO Group, the leaders in the partnership corrections industry, it’s a $70 billion gold mine. Thus, with an eye toward increasing its bottom line, CCA has floated a proposal to prison officials in 48 states offering to buy and manage public prisons at a substantial cost savings to the states. In exchange, and here’s the kicker, the prisons would have to contain at least 1,000 beds and states would have agree to maintain a 90% occupancy rate in the privately run prisons for at least 20 years.

The problem with this scenario, as Roger Werholtz, former Kansas secretary of corrections, recognizes is that while states may be tempted by the quick infusion of cash, they “would be obligated to maintain these (occupancy) rates and subtle pressure would be applied to make sentencing laws more severe with a clear intent to drive up the population.” Unfortunately, that’s exactly what has happened.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Yeah it's basically a negative feedback loop the encourages counter-productive behavior instead of reducing jail time or at least reducing recidivism.

Besides having the worst overall prison population, CA also gets the dubious honor of having high recidivism rates.

Then you have everyone from corporations to prison unions trying block genuine reform of the system since it would reduce their income.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

FCKGW posted:

Cam someone enlighten me on the benefits of this high speed rail line?
If you want to travel from a point in the tourist district of San Francisco to a point on the outskirts of LA, and you want to do something that takes twice as long as flying, then high-speed rail is a good choice for you.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Miss-Bomarc posted:

If you want to travel from a point in the tourist district of San Francisco to a point on the outskirts of LA, and you want to do something that takes twice as long as flying, then high-speed rail is a good choice for you.

Twice as long is what, two hours? I'll trade that for much cheaper fare and no airport security lines.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

computer parts posted:

Twice as long is what, two hours? I'll trade that for much cheaper fare and no airport security lines.

Yeah, while the actual time spent moving is longer, the total trip is likely to be close to comparable, because you don't have to deal with traveling to the departure airport, going through security, or traveling from the destination airport. (This is assuming that places aren't putting their train terminals in rear end-backwards stupid locations, which I'm not sure of.)

raminasi fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 30, 2013

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Miss-Bomarc posted:

The "tourist district" in SF also happens to be the financial district and the "outskirts of LA" happens to be about a quarter mile from downtown LA and the heart of the cities transit hub.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Miss-Bomarc posted:

The transbay terminal in downtown SF is not a tourist district....it's an everything district. It's in the middle of a large business district, luxury highrise district, near a shopping and entertainment area, near the Bay Bridge off/on ramp, ferries, BART, near a low income residential district, etc, and yes, it's full of tourists too. And LA Union Station, where the main LA HSR rail terminal will be is not on the outskirts of LA, it's right next to downtown. Maybe you're thinking of the planned Palmdale/Sylmar/Burbank/Norwalk/Anaheim/Riverside/Industry/Ontario stations or something (drat that's a lot of stations in the LA area).

And it will definitely be worth it to take a train from SF to LA that takes roughly as long as flying or maybe even less time (including getting to and from the airport and going through security), is cheaper than flying, and has much less or no bullshit security theater. You could take day trips between the two and actually have time to do lots of poo poo.

edit: beaten :argh:

Rah! fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 30, 2013

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

I think that high speed rail is an absolutely wonderful idea but I'm not sure we can predict what prices and security will be like in 20 years. I think it's possible, unfortunately, that the prices and the security will be comparable to airports.

Ah Pook
Aug 23, 2003

Muck and Mire posted:

I think that high speed rail is an absolutely wonderful idea but I'm not sure we can predict what prices and security will be like in 20 years. I think it's possible, unfortunately, that the prices and the security will be comparable to airports.

Yeah honestly all it's going to take is one knucklehead with a bomb glued to his junk for the TSA or whatever to make sure you never board a train without 90 minutes of lines in the way. Plus you can virtually guarantee that some no-bid contractor is going to end up millions over budget and months behind schedule after accidentally building 1/4 of the line out of plywood. I really want rail to work, but California.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Ah Pook posted:

I really want rail to work, but California.

I get your drift, but California actually has one of the two semi-functional Amtrak corridors in the entire country.

Shade2142
Oct 10, 2012

Rollin'

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The solution to overstuffed UCs has been to encourage students to attend community colleges for the first two years, then transfer. This led to the community colleges being stuffed, too, and with no extra budget to account for the extra students. This led to foundation courses for popular majors being overbooked for years.

It's weird that my cousin at CSUF says its common to have 100+ student sized General Ed classes. Whereas my its common to have 15-30 student sized classes at my CC for common courses. CC tuition is not even half the CSU tuition.

e;The downside to small classes is if your new to the CC, your registry date is later than others. Therefore your're unlikely to get any classes you want.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ah Pook posted:

Yeah honestly all it's going to take is one knucklehead with a bomb glued to his junk for the TSA or whatever to make sure you never board a train without 90 minutes of lines in the way. Plus you can virtually guarantee that some no-bid contractor is going to end up millions over budget and months behind schedule after accidentally building 1/4 of the line out of plywood. I really want rail to work, but California.

Plus in typical fashion the republicans in places such as Central Valley are trying to wreck the project and nationwide republicans in other states effectively killed the projects.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

The only good thing about the prison union in CA is that they have mostly keep out private prisons here.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Forgive me for sounding naive, but it seems to me like part of the solution would be to unionize the prison population. No way in hell to do that with guards encouraging ethnic violence, though.

I did soft time in Santa Cruz county jail and everyone seemed to get along there (with a makeup of 40%white 40% latino, 20% black, and one Asian guy in my cellblock--designed for 40 men and containing 100, I should note), but that's likely an aberration resulting from me being in the low-risk block. I heard a couple of the gang blocks had weekly fights.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
I always thought a UC for prisoners would be an amazing or terrible idea. It would probably cost less.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Bastard Tetris posted:

I always thought a UC for prisoners would be an amazing or terrible idea. It would probably cost less.

It's why San Quentin is by far the best prison to spend your time. It's cold, decrepit and full of gang violence but it has pretty fantastic prison educational and arts programs because it's in the Bay Area. There is also a program for inmates to study for university degrees while in prison and it's the only prison in the state that offers it.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Forgive me for sounding naive, but it seems to me like part of the solution would be to unionize the prison population. No way in hell to do that with guards encouraging ethnic violence, though.

This is basically what happened in the 60s and 70s; the Attica Riot/Uprising was pretty similar to the big union strikes of the early 20th century in that it was a bunch of laborers using a marginal level of violence (one guard was fatally injured by the inmates, another nine would be shot by the military when they attacked) to protest for better conditions. It was held with solidarity between the races and it ended the same way as the big strikes: the national guard was sent in with guns.

In order to stop that sort of thing from happening again it became an unofficial policy (hell maybe it was official at the time, but at least today it isn't in the DOM) to encourage racial division amongst inmate populations through selective enforcement and thus were born the modern prison gangs.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

Shade2142 posted:

Can someone explain to me the allure of living in a trailer out in the California desert?

First, imagine you are crazy, addicted to meth and/or not allowed within 50,000 feet of a school or library.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

UberJew posted:

In order to stop that sort of thing from happening again it became an unofficial policy (hell maybe it was official at the time, but at least today it isn't in the DOM) to encourage racial division amongst inmate populations through selective enforcement and thus were born the modern prison gangs.
At least as of 2005 I was told that this was still the strategy (by a research prof that works with the prison industry).

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

A lot of people already do commute between those three cities. Furthermore, a lot of people in between visit those cities reasonably often. High-speed rail isn't just SF-LA, it's Sacramento, Stockton, San Francisco, San Jose, Fresno, Bakersfield, Palmdale, Los Angeles, Anaheim, Riverside, Irvine, and San Diego.

High-speed rail is more energy efficient, more comfortable than air travel, less sensitive to weather, and connects city centers rather than outlying airports.

This. The purpose of high-speed rail is to connect the huge population in the Valley to civilization. Fresno can't go on being Fresno forever.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

All Of The Dicks posted:

Fresno can't go on being Fresno forever.
I had never pegged you as a bright eyed optimist before now. :v:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Looks like people who depend on BART will be in for a miserable commute over the next few days:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57591713/san-fran-bay-area-transit-workers-go-on-strike/

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

FRINGE posted:

Also - its going to get worse before/if it gets better.

https://www.rutherford.org/publicat...ustrial_complex

Is it just me, but does something like this not sound like slavery? Don't prisoners also do some kind of work as well for no cost/low cost? Especially in areas with (I don't have a source, just anecdotal info) higher rates of incarceration or stricter sentencing for African Americans...I don't know how or why it's possible.

EDIT: I guess I should have looked a little higher at Fringe's post.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gatts posted:

Is it just me, but does something like this not sound like slavery? Don't prisoners also do some kind of work as well for no cost/low cost? Especially in areas with (I don't have a source, just anecdotal info) higher rates of incarceration or stricter sentencing for African Americans...I don't know how or why it's possible.

EDIT: I guess I should have looked a little higher at Fringe's post.

Pretty much also similar to slavery in that they often get exposed to hazardous work conditions such as story from a Nevada prison which had them recycling electronics without proper protection.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

agarjogger posted:

Aaaaand here's what they do with it.

Holy poo poo...I've driven through Bakersfield a few times, it never LOOKED that dry.

loving PHOENIX gets 1/3 more precipitation than Bakersfield, and it's one of the drier parts of Arizona. (And since it is full of horrible monsters, they do more or less the same thing with all their water and the water they steal.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

etalian posted:

Looks like people who depend on BART will be in for a miserable commute over the next few days:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57591713/san-fran-bay-area-transit-workers-go-on-strike/

Welp, looks like I'll have to have my parents drive me up to Berkeley and back for work :shepicide:

• Locked thread