Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
The worst part is it doesn't cool down at night. It surprises me how fast we went from cool nights to this.

Green outside, red inside, blue humidity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I'm surprised the previous record for San Luis Obispo was 112°. I'm not surprised we broke it today:

https://twitter.com/PGE_John/status/904138497404964864

My girlfriend got us a hotel room this morning so we could have effective A/C tonight, at least. Our poor portable unit just can't keep up.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

We returned to the good old tradition of going out for a movie on a superhot day. Atomic Blonde wasn't bad at all.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Just got rhe utilities bill for the last 2 months. I dunno, $400 seems reasonable to not feel lile I'm in an oven all night right fellas?

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
It always felt like Paso/Atascadero was hotter than the face of the sun during Mid-State fair time; I'm actually surprised the highest is 115.

My folks reported that it was 102 in Los Osos today, which is just beyond belief

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Went to the beach in Watsonville. Dunno how hot it was but the water was cool and the surf was just big enough to have fun boogie boarding with my son. Saw a whale.

Dunno what everyone is bitching about. Heat wave rule.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Looking forward to 12:00

pairofdimes posted:

The worst part is it doesn't cool down at night. It surprises me how fast we went from cool nights to this.

Green outside, red inside, blue humidity.

What's this graph from?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

Just got rhe utilities bill for the last 2 months. I dunno, $400 seems reasonable to not feel lile I'm in an oven all night right fellas?

I will pay anything to not be burning alive

(This is for a single month, it's what prompted me to finally get solar)

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

If you consider cooling costs, is the IE actually more affordable?

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

FogHelmut posted:

What's this graph from?

It's the web interface for this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0081UR76G/

It has a wireless sensor with a probe, so I put the sensor inside and ran the probe wire through the window for outside temperatures. The base station is wired to my router and connects to the sensor wirelessly.

The online graph stuff is free, but if you want alerts texted to you there's a monthly charge.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

If you consider cooling costs, is the IE actually more affordable?

Depends. My electric bill is about 25% higher, my gas and commuting costs are more but my mortgage is literally half what it was in Orange County for a bigger, newer house.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
My apartment building has some definite black magic. My utility bill has been $40 each month. Water is also included. I guess its helped by me nit running the ac and just being at work m-f all day.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Depends. My electric bill is about 25% higher, my gas and commuting costs are more but my mortgage is literally half what it was in Orange County for a bigger, newer house.

Hmm didn't realize they cost that much less.

My power bill was $157 last month - the highest its been in the two summers I've been here. And I work at home so I'm actually running the AC all day, but I keep it on 76. I know the new windows I installed last year and the attic insulation this year has been making a difference.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 3, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've never had a bill over $240 and right now (based on Aug 25-Sep2) PG&E is projecting a $400 bill. It better loving cool down this month at some point, because gently caress that.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

You can actually get a house for under $300k in the IE; that is a literal impossibility in Orange County.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

Hmm didn't realize they cost that much less.

My power bill was $157 last month - the highest its been in the two summers I've been here. And I work at home so I'm actually running the AC all day, but I keep it on 76. I know the new windows I installed last year and the attic insulation this year has been making a difference.

The IE was hit especially hard in the recession and housing still hasn't recovered to peak prices yet while OC and LA have blown past that already. Some of the nicer parts of IE like Chino, Eastvale, Norco and Rancho are increasing faster than other parts but just last year both of my wife's sisters bought 3-bed houses in Riverside for around $300k. Not bad areas either.

There's also a ton of land close to LA and OC that's still open. All the dairy farms in Ontario and Chino are slowing being turned into development. Ontario alone is looking to add 200k residents over the next 20 years. There's not a big housing shortage that putting pressure on prices, they'r building houses as fast as they can right now.

Summers are hot and traffic sucks but I'm liking a lot of what the IE has to offer.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 3, 2017

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

FCKGW posted:

The IE was hit especially hard in the recession and housing still hasn't recovered to peak prices yet while OC and LA have blown past that already. Some of the nicer parts of IE like Chino, Eastvale, Norco and Rancho are increasing faster than other parts but just last year both of my wife's sisters bought 3-bed houses in Riverside for around $300k. Not bad areas either.

Summers are hot and traffic sucks but I'm liking a lot of what the IE has to offer.

Come out to the Coachella Valley, where the summers are beyond hot but the traffic is practically non-existant!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

FCKGW posted:

There's also a ton of land close to LA and OC that's still open. All the dairy farms in Ontario and Chino are slowing being turned into development. Ontario alone is looking to add 200k residents over the next 20 years. There's not a big housing shortage that putting pressure on prices, they'r building houses as fast as they can right now.

I insist on being close to the beach

even though I've never actually set foot on it for decades

but hey, at least I can take a scenic route on the pch while doing errands

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

el dorito posted:

I insist on being close to the beach

even though I've never actually set foot on it for decades

but hey, at least I can take a scenic route on the pch while doing errands

I took a train to San clemente last week. It was nice!

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Going to be in San Francisco at the end of the month. I know nothing about the place. Where should I stay.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Cat Face Joe posted:

Going to be in San Francisco at the end of the month. I know nothing about the place. Where should I stay.

Gunna need more to go on. What are you here to do? Who are you with? Are you planning to stay in the city or do poo poo around the bay?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

My wife will be there for work and we're gonna stay through the weekend, we'll have four days. Probably going to spend all our time in the city but people keep telling us to go see the red woods. I'm primarily looking for a good area to stay in, maximum of around $300/night. We have no fear of public transit or walking unlike many Detroiters.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Cat Face Joe posted:

My wife will be there for work and we're gonna stay through the weekend, we'll have four days. Probably going to spend all our time in the city but people keep telling us to go see the red woods. I'm primarily looking for a good area to stay in, maximum of around $300/night. We have no fear of public transit or walking unlike many Detroiters.

I'd look at the union square area first. It's touristy-nice. Shopping. Cable cars and all that poo poo. It's central. Muni and bart are in walking distance.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Union Square is kind of lame though. I mean, definitely go there and check it out, but I wouldn't really recommend staying there, especially if you're younger than 50. Union Square itself is, or can be, beautiful, but the surrounding area is basically a mall.

I had my mother stay at Sleep over Sauce on Gough, and it seemed fine to me. Rooms maybe a little small, depends on how much you pay. She stayed in the cheapest, so probably the smallest. The location is hard to beat. Just avoid a room facing Gough if you can. There is also "Hayes Valley Inn" or something like that nearby. Both are very close to major public transit routes/stations, and basically anything you want to see/do is within 2-miles.

Going to Muir Woods to see redwoods may be difficult via public transit. I know there is a shuttle, but not sure how you could get to it without driving? It may be worth looking into zipcar or something similar for a half day.

Land's End is cool.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Dunno if you want to do cheap, but the Castle Inn on Broadway (by Van Ness) is my go-to cheap hotel in San Francisco (I generally use it when going to concerts). It is clean, has comfortable beds, is in a decent enough neighborhood (some good cheap food, good coffee), close to a bunch of useful bus lines. It also has free loving parking, which if you are getting a car (you don't need or even want one unless you want to leave the city, but I often drive there) if worth like $40. In no way luxurious, but like $100 (or even less) with advance purchase in off times and always pretty loving cheap for SF. I've slpet there many times and didn't get bed bugs or die or nothin'!

Generally, if you're not south of the Mission or west of the start of Golden Gate park, everything remotely touristy is accessible via walking or public transit in a reasonable amount of time.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Hi goons! Made it to California from NY! Got an apartment in Winnetka this morning and start work tomorrow! Your tacos blow NY tacos out of the water.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Thanks, I have a lot to look into. Seems like it's pretty tough to make a bad decision.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cat Face Joe posted:

Every tourist goes to Muir Woods, so expect an experience only slightly less crowded than BART at rush hour. Parking is a misery; take a bus. Your best bet, I hear, is to go early in the morning. Do go to Alcatraz; it is a haunting and memorable experience. Get reservations on a ferry now. Consider the free Cable Car Museum, where you can see the equipment that keeps the cables running, as well as learn the history of the system and see some vintage cars. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco_Cable_Car_Museum If you want to take the cable cars, do not start from Powell and Market. Take the California line, next to the Embarcadero MUNI stop, which is slightly less well-known to tourists. (e: And therefore has shorter lines.)

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

cods posted:

Your tacos blow NY tacos out of the water.

Also pizza!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Do go to Alcatraz; it is a haunting and memorable experience. Get reservations on a ferry now.

this is a good suggestion. It may be too late but try to sign up for the Night Tour. I went for the first time (always thought it was a lovely tourist trap) around August 2 years ago and it was loving fantastic.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Hearst Castle tour worth it?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

FogHelmut posted:

If you're willing to make the trek out there, it is. I was all ready to make fun of it for being tacky af, but dammit, he did a really nice job architecting and landscaping the place and picking out all the artwork.

There's not a whole lot else out there (dinner at sunset in Morro Bay is pretty nice though) so skip it if you're pressed for time, but if you have an interest, yeah it's worth it.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

FogHelmut posted:

It's definitely worth it.

Also, the drive south on highway 1 from Carmel to Hearst Castle is one of the most scenic and awesome when the road isn't closed.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

FogHelmut posted:

You tell me!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

cods posted:

Hi goons! Made it to California from NY! Got an apartment in Winnetka this morning and start work tomorrow! Your tacos blow NY tacos out of the water.

Nice work getting out of NY. Since you're in Winnetka, don't forget to join us in the Los Angeles thread too, where we're all much more jaded and mean than the CA state thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032518

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My wife and I are going up to Cambria for the weekend next week. We did the PCH up to Monterey and back last year. We stayed in Morro Bay for a night, it was great, but seems to be nearly sold out this year for whatever reason.

Just looking for things to do. I know there's that elephant seal beach that smells really bad. She says there are wineries. We aren't planning on going much further north, mainly since the road is closed.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Do you enjoy steaks?

I try to stop here every time I drive down to LA. The one pictured is near Pismo, but my favorite is in downtown SLO.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Morro Bay books up around now because the Fresno people flock to the coast and the beach starts getting less foggy for a bit around when Fall starts. (Though it wasn't foggy last weekend, for obvious reasons!) This Saturday is the Morro Bay Avocado & Margarita Festival, if you're into that kind of thing.

If you're heading through SLO tomorrow, there's a free concert at Mission Plaza (last one of the summer) that's usually a pretty good time. It's fun to watch the kids running around, hitting each other with inflatable swords, then climbing on the wall until somebody's dad notices and runs over to keep them from falling into the creek.

Hearst is worth it. Elephant seals are worth a quick stop on the way to or from Hearst. Sebastian's in San Simeon has tasty food and is a neat old store (and Post Office!). Ragged Point, the current end of the road for Highway 1, is a nice spot. There's a hike essentially down the side of the cliff to a secluded beach. If you do it, do it before the sun comes around the point, or it'll be dusty and gross.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

If you do hit Cambria, Linn's Pies really are fantastic. Olallieberry all the way. http://www.linnsfruitbin.com/linns-fruit-pot-pies/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
If Sonoma and Napa Counties could stop being on fire that'd be great, thanks.

• Locked thread