Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Instant Sunrise posted:

Never go south of the 55.

I was going to disagree for a second, but then realized the good mexican place in costa mesa (el toro bravo, highly recommended) is on the LA side of the 55.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Grand Prize Winner posted:

That really depends on time of day. Basically, the "LA Traffic if awful" thing is true downtown and in a lot of the rest of the city from about 4am-9pm (1am on weekends and holidays) combined with a lot of our drivers being really reckless and not really into following traffic laws unless there's a cop nearby. So people end up losing a lot of time to traffic here, and the recklessness and lovely driving means people spend a lot of time fuming/hyperventilating about a near miss (or actually getting clipped, lost a mirror to a sports car doing 70 on the shoulder and the guy didn't even stop). Then to top that off you're bound to have at least one truly awful day because of the traffic and that memory will be forever etched into your mind.

Traffic at midnight. I don't miss driving in socal at all.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

spf3million posted:

I live in Concord and have a job offer in Sacramento. How bad of an idea would it be to commute via the Capital Corridor Amtrak daily?

I commuted from Sacramento to Fairfield via amtrak. It was pretty ok. You have to accept that you're going to be late at times (genrrally afternoons), but not as much as people seem to think. They have beer on the train, which is nice.
Also, get a monthly pass, save a lot of money.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

woodenchicken posted:

So I was planning to fly to LA, to hang around and take in some sights for a week or so. Some online guides recommend renting a car, but you guys are making it seem like a terrible idea? How hosed am I if I just want to drive to some touristy places during the day and avoid rush hours?
Driving is the worst except for all the other options.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Elyv posted:

Yeah, these record-breaking temperatures up here in the Bay Area is distinctly uncool. Is the same poo poo happening in SoCal?

Based on my friends facebooks, yes.
I picked a great week to go on vacation, though I bet even with my thermostat set for 85, my electric bill is gonna be insane.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Dunno if you want to do cheap, but the Castle Inn on Broadway (by Van Ness) is my go-to cheap hotel in San Francisco (I generally use it when going to concerts). It is clean, has comfortable beds, is in a decent enough neighborhood (some good cheap food, good coffee), close to a bunch of useful bus lines. It also has free loving parking, which if you are getting a car (you don't need or even want one unless you want to leave the city, but I often drive there) if worth like $40. In no way luxurious, but like $100 (or even less) with advance purchase in off times and always pretty loving cheap for SF. I've slpet there many times and didn't get bed bugs or die or nothin'!

Generally, if you're not south of the Mission or west of the start of Golden Gate park, everything remotely touristy is accessible via walking or public transit in a reasonable amount of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It is the turn of the season, when the hills are painted with beautiful shades of orange, yellow, and red, after some damnfool drops a match.

The real reason Californians hate smokers.

Everytime I see an rear end in a top hat flick a butt out of his car, I want to kill. However, instead get his plate number and snitch his bitch rear end out to the chp.

• Locked thread