Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Best Friends posted:

The definition of desert is more than just "where is there very little rainfall." All these areas except Bakersfield are lush.

This whole "greedy farmers" thing is dumb as hell considering it's people using local water supplies to farm one of the most agriculturally productive areas on Earth. If they were taking water from LA that would be one thing, but quite the opposite is what occurs.

If stupid residential water use wasn't a thing all over California, including Southern California, this might have more impact.

To chime in on stupid residential / commercial water usage in this state that was mostly addressed with AB 2717 which lead to AB 1881 that went into full effect in 2012. It's new construction only, but all new or refurbishment of existing projects are mandated to have there maximum allowable water usage decreased by at least 20% which is actually a huge amount if you're into landscape architecture / irrigation design like I was. Now it doesn't apply to already existing single family homes, parks, golf courses (which have there own really strict rules), or cemeteries, but CA already had some of the strictest landscape water use laws in the nation before AB 1881 and it just got reduced another 20% minimum state wide.

Also, if you have any questions about commercial/residential landscape irrigation feel free to ask, that was my job for 10 years until 2010 and I actually did the design on the winning pilot project for AB 2717.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Revener posted:

My tuition for an overloaded semester at Orange Coast in 2011: $42.00

(Of course this is the dirty poors rate :ssh:)

Considering that it's a beeline into a UC it feels kind of like a mousetrap. Hey look I can afford college this isn't so ha- OH GOD WHERE IS MY MONEY. WHERE HAS IT ALL GONE. :gonk:

And then for even the Cal State schools trying to get a masters it's just stupid. It would have cost my wife $50,000 and an extra year because of prerequisites from not having a business degree to start with to get her MBA from Cal State Fullerton where it's only going to cost her $20,000 more to go to Chapman and be out a year earlier.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Mayor Dave posted:

Cross-posting from a few other threads:

Female inmates sterilized in California prisons without approval

Yet another horrifying facet of justice in California.

CA's prison industrial complex could really be it's own thread unto itself since it's absolutely one of the worst ones in the nation. It owes a lot of this to the Gate's brand of police protectionism (all signs point to the fucker letting LA burn during the riots just to make it clear holding them accountable for anything will not be tolerated) that is ingrained into every police force in the state now, the CCPOA which really is a horrible boogie man of a union that conservatives think all unions are, and the detestable three strikes law which thanks to the CCPOA will probably never get repealed.

I mean I love my state and all, but our prison/justice system is rotten to the very core and I'm not surprised by that in the least bit.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Zeitgueist posted:

Yeah the coast is beautiful, but that would pretty much be Rich People Express. Though Amtrak already does that route at non-high speeds.

The stretch from LA to about halfway between Bakersfield and Fresno will suck, but after that the Serra Nevada's should make the trip much more enjoyable / beautiful. Especially for trips in the winter / spring.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Zeitgueist posted:

The real travesty of the train is how slow it is and how long it will take. We had trains that were almost as fast back when we were on steam, and we could build the entire system in less than 10 years but, you know, ~America~.

Wait, have they released how fast (slow) the express train will be yet?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Illuminado posted:

It feels weird to read this and be in neither SF or SoCal. :frogbon:

We just call it (and I'm giving myself away here), "99" or "80", while on the rare occasion, we call it "THE Five"

In any case, keep fighting, it's hella entertaining. :munch:

:ninja: edit:
NorCal

VS

SoCal

NorCal is the Superior Cal

Bullshit. I can't trust air I can't see. :colbert:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

rope kid posted:

Living in Huntington Beach was horrible for many reasons, one of which was being represented by Dana Rohrabacher. :barf:

For the past few years I've lived near South Coast Plaza, on the border between Costa Mesa and Santa Ana (technically Santa Ana). Before the redistricting, all of SCP was hilariously gerrymandered. The district map literally cut out single blocks of high-wealth residences and excluded them from the larger Santa Ana district. After the redistricting, I'm in Loretta Sanchez' district (46th). :w00t:

Thanks, Citizens Redistricting Commission.

Sup fellow OC resident that use to be represented by a horrible poo poo lord (Ed Royce in my case) but is now in Sanchez's district. :hfive:

Since the fair is going on right now it's always fun to re-register at the democratic party booth there just to be smug as poo poo while the people in the republican booth (usually next to it) glare.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

WampaLord posted:

"I might have to sell a house and make millions of dollars" is the first worldiest first world problem I've heard in quite some time.

Just sell the house and retire early! Enjoy your life, not a collection of old things.

This.

My dad died a few years ago, and while this is cold blooded as gently caress my mom's been a breast cancer survivor for over 10 years now which means maybe she's got another 10, 20 years tops before she gets cancer again and most likely dies.

The house she lives in alone is worth millions and as much as I loved living there I'll be damned if I'm going to keep a 5400 sq. ft. mansion in OC if it's going to be just my wife and maybe one kid when she does. I'm selling that fucker and showing my wife (maybe kid) the time of her (there) lives since while I grew up upper middle class... most of my memories about my childhood revolve around not doing much because my parents always had to pay for poo poo like houses, cars, and whatever else they were buying to keep up with their friends.

In contrast my wife and I travel for at least one week out of the year and before I did that the only vacation I ever remembered that wasn't just going to our house at the river was Disneyworld in 4th grade.

First world as gently caress I know, but traveling to places has really hammered home just how privileged I've been my whole life.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 13, 2013

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Thanatosian posted:

Goddamn, Prop 13 is some stupid-rear end poo poo.

It is if you're not rich already, or got lucky worked hard playing the real estate game in the 70s-80s and made millions and don't want to see all that luck hard work get (rightfully) taxed away so millions of others in the state have a shot at home ownership instead of the wealthy young / old established families.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Thanatosian posted:

Yeah, the fact that it applies to commercial properties, and properties owned by corporations and trusts is loving bullshit.

If it's going to exist at all, it should only apply to primary residences, and there should be a value cap. Like, there's no way ten million dollar mansions should be protected by it.

I 100% unironically agree this is literally the way to fix prop 13.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

WampaLord posted:

I'd talk more about LA but I've only been here 2.5 years and don't feel like enough of an authority to discuss anything other than the Metro is cool and we should expand the gently caress out of it.

LA's problems are depressing, too. :smith::hf::smith:

LA's not bad when it comes to museums though since the MOCA and LACMA are like 7 miles apart, and you can spend a day between the two of them and go to the Griffin Observatory in the evening. Plus there's the Pantages, Ahmanson, Disney Concert hall, or seeing a show being taped at WB studios and all of them being really fun but cheep / mid range (ok concert hall is expensive) things to do if you have a free day there.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Zeitgueist posted:

Aren't a bunch of cities in Orange County named for Klansmen?

I don't know about that, but I do know the major streets in the city of orange are named either after it's four founders, or the combination of one of founders two daughters. Kate + Ella = Katella. Also another fun fact, one of the main streets in orange was named after my mothers family because my great grandfather was one of the original civil engineers in CA and we're still getting money from the oil equipment he helped invent as well as rent from some of the land in OC we still own that he purchased back then.

Sorry for being part of the 1% guys. :(

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Zeitgueist posted:

I do a little fist pump every time I see a fake-grass or rock lawn in LA. If I could to own a home in southern California(nope), I would definitely get rid of any grass immediately.

AB-1881 is what you can thank for that. That one bill was huge in cutting down water waste from landscaping throughout CA. Too bad it didn't have any effect on farming though since they are the major culprits when it comes to wasting water. The sad part is that with today's weather / soil monitoring irrigation controllers and drip technology they could use like 1/10 of the water they do now if they invested in irrigation infrastructure and save a metric poo poo ton of money on water.

Zeitgueist posted:

The idea is not to use water, which I don't believe fake grass needs.

You would think so, but a soccer park with fake grass I know of still needs to be watered about once a week to wash it all off and keep it clean since it's out in Fontana. Still, it uses next to no water compared to when it was all grass about 10 years ago.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

FRINGE posted:

GIS for "xeriscape" or "xeriscaping" and you will see some attractive area-appropriate landscaping.

And if you really want to see the huge range of options for low water use plants follow this link then google the botanical names of the ones that look interesting.

Start at page 70 on the site, 62 in the PDF. This is literally the plant guide that every landscape architect in CA uses now after AB-1881 came out to figure out plant water usage zones for the maximum allowable water allowance (MAWA) calcs that can be found here under water budget calculator (requires excel) which is what every landscape plan now requires to be approved.

For the love of god though, don't plant any society garlic or ficus trees since the former smells like poo poo and the latter destroys foundations.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Willa Rogers posted:

Another crappy Brown initiative that serves to funnel public money to private corporations--for the purpose of keeping the state's prison numbers up, and thus keeping the guards' union happy:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/22/jerry-brown-prisons-private_n_3799519.html

Color me shocked, the CA prison guard union continues to be quite literally the worst thing in all of CA.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

FCKGW posted:

My mother in law just saw this on the news and she exclaimed "Lots of companies going to move out of California now!"

I didn't want to try and explain that the types of businesses that pay minimum wage don't just "move out" of an area like that.

Not to mention that CA attracts a ton of businesses because it has two of the three largest ports on the west coast with LA and SF. Then there is the oil industry which can't move, and I have first hand knowledge that the tech industry regrets the gently caress out of trying to move to red states with cheep taxes since it means they have really lovely funding for schools and they have to pay people to move there and pay them a higher salary to stay because they can't hire locals... which they don't make up with those tax breaks.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Leperflesh posted:

Did you know there are local hamburger restaurants in California! Why would anyone eat at Burger King?!!

They're all called In N Out Burger to. :smug:

Lycus posted:

I hate Taco Bell. If I want fast lovely tacos, I'm going to Del Taco.

If you live in So Cal, try Miguel Jr. You can get actual street taco's from a drive though, and not those fake rear end ones Del and Bell are always trying to push on everyone.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 26, 2013

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

ProfessorCirno posted:

Brown and CA legislative on both sides are rather firm on the NDAA

Ah, if only we could do something about the near (or not so near) indefinite detentions going on in the state prisons. Still, I'll take it as good news.

I've said it in other threads, but the prison guard union buys every member of the CA legislature off and if they can't they just primary them into oblivion with someone they can buy off. It sucks, but nothing is going to be done about our prisons until they loose their power and that isn't happening until voters stop buying all the adds about letting non-violent or minor drug offenders off the hook makes you soft on crime... which is never.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

The prison situation here is as hosed up as it seems, right? I'm not the most educated when it comes to politics, but it seems to me that the prison situation in California is basically a gigantic budgetary sinkhole and we're filling all the prisons with career inmates who basically spend their whole lives in there rather than being helped.

Not only that, but it also turns minor criminals like those convicted of non-violent crime or minor drug offences into hardened criminals because they are incarcerated for ridiculous amounts of time because of the three strikes law or mandatory minimums... which feeds the prison industrial complex even further.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

apparently 13 people have been executed since it was reinstated in 1978. That's low enough that the prison unions shouldn't care (and indeed you'd think they would support "lock them up for eternity").

Yeah, it's not a big deal for the prison union because they make money no matter what. Hell, with the death penalty repealed they can probably get away with even more poo poo because anti-death penalty groups will stop paying attention to them.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Pook Good Mook posted:

Especially when the populace actually votes itself a tax increase to boot.

What's even more surprising was that no matter what we were going to see a tax increase between prop 30 and 38 depending on which one received more votes, but that the good tax increase actually received a proper majority from voters.

Also, here's another funny thing about the prop 30 / 38 battle.

pre:
Proposition	 Donations in favor	 Donations against
Proposition 30	 $67,100,000	         $53,400,00
Proposition 38	 $47,800,000	         $42,300
Prop 30 was attacked at ridiculous levels by the same people supporting prop 38 and it still passed by a wide margin while no one really opposed prop 38.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Family Values posted:

That isn't really true, both props could've failed.

True, but unless I'm misremembering things even if both of them failed it was agreed that the legislature would implement whichever tax increase proposition received the most votes.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Leperflesh posted:

Disneyland actually sucks and if you need to take a bath, we do have indoor plumbing here in northern california. I'm not 100% sure if people from LA ever wash, I assume they just hose down in the yard since it's always super-hot outside. Republicans are always overdressed and sweaty.

We can't be friends anymore. :colbert:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

WampaLord posted:

Compared to Disney World, it's a joke.

I have the pass that gets me into both Disneyland and Disneyworld and go to Florida twice a year, and while World has Epcot which is the best Disney park, it also has Hollywood Studios which is the worst. I'll admit that CA Adventure when it opened was utter poo poo, but since they brought in Cars Land and updated the hell out of it it's actually on par with Magic Kingdom, which only has the better regular Haunted Mansion (only CA gets the Nightmare Before Christmas version which owns), new Fantasy land, and the better Autopia cars because of CA smog restrictions. Aside from those three things, Disneyland is superior to Magic Kingdom in every way.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Leperflesh posted:

You rich kids and your newfangled passes and fasts. When I was a kid, everyone stood in the same line. It was a more egalitarian society back then.

I don't actually like amusement parks at all. Roller coasters in general make me sick, and I don't like screaming poorly-behaved other-people's kids much either. The fact it's also Disney is just the poo poo icing on the crapcake that pushes Disneyland to the bottom of the list, plus you pay a premium for that.

See, my wife and I actually hate kids but love Disneyland... but we don't pay a premium for it outside of our passes which gets us 20% off food and merch so it's actually not expensive at all. Plus, living three blocks away from it means we go once a week for breakfast (River Belle Terrace has cinnamon roll French toast which is amazing as it sounds) which is like $20 and stay until like 1-3, and then again one evening during the week for dinner which even for sit down it's like $30-50 depending on how nice it is.

Trick to eat at Disney is to NEVER do walk-up food since it's just as expensive as the cheep sit-down places and to always make a reservation the day before.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Leperflesh posted:

You are like an alien to me. You deliberately seek out Disneyland for your fine dining? You pay money for a card that gets you 20% off the hyperinflated prices at Disneyland, and think that means you're not paying a premium?

You live withing walking distance of Disneyland. I guess you must really like it there! For me that sounds like a special version of Hell, tailored especially to torment me personally.

e. Admit it. You and your wife own matching his-and-hers Mickey/Minnie sweatshirts. Don't you.

You probably haven't been in a while, but Disneyland has really loving good food now (again?).

And no, no we loving hate "mouse crap" as my wife calls it and we've never purchased a "mickey" sweatshirt.

Bonus pic: these exist and we've seen people this oblivious. Yes my wife and I are both 12.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Hate to break up water chat, but I figured you guys would want to know about the revenge of Romney

quote:

Clear Channel Communications—the nation’s largest operator of radio stations, which is owned by Mitt Romney’s Bain Capital LCC—pulled the plug on the last vestiges of commercial AM progressive talk radio in Los Angeles and San Francisco when it flipped those local affiliates to its more familiar right-wing programming.

Randi Rhodes, Thom Hartmann, Bill Press, Stephanie Miller and their fellow travelers will be replaced by Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck and others. Rhodes is gone, although she is under contract to Clear Channel and just signed a new deal.

RIP the only non-conservative talk radio in the two largest cities in CA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

FRINGE posted:

Pretty sure everyone agrees on: WEEEEEEST SIDE! and gently caress TEXAS! though. :v:

To be fair, only one state in the union doesn't agree with that.

• Locked thread