Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

nm posted:

San Francisco is a fascinating city because the gap between rich and poor is so visible and so close together.
$73,000 is not "a lot of money" if you live in San Francisco proper, but it is quite a bit for the bay. More and more poor and middle class people are being pushed from SF proper to the east bay and beyond (why do you think Stockton has so many people?).

Rent control is the only thing that keeps working class people in the city. Rents can vary widely by length of tenure. A friend of mine has a floor of a place in Cole valley, 1br, pays $850 because he's been there since the late 80s. The floor above him rents for over $3k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

http://priceonomics.com/the-san-francisco-rent-explosion/

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

http://techcrunch.com/2013/05/06/protesters-smash-google-bus-pinata/

Gentrification has been a thing as long as I can remember. I moved to SF in the mid 90s when the lower height and the divis corridor were still a little sketchy. This round of gentrification is driven by the tech money sloshing around in the valley and in particular the new private shuttle services that make it more desirable to live in the city and commute. Why privatize the roads when you can nimby public transportation for the plebs and provide your own for your own protected class?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

The bigger question is: when the great California civil war comes, how far north will we choose to exterminate? Im kind of fond of SLO, maybe everything south of arroyo grande? Maybe that tunnel on 101 should mark the boundary.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

GrumpyDoctor posted:

I do. So does my family.

Same here. Even saying PCH is kind of a socal thing.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

VideoTapir posted:

But it's what the market will bear, so it's okay.

Your avatar and your post go together so well.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

VideoTapir posted:

It is a sinister national conspiracy to enslave the country.

Conspiracy is a heavily loaded word. "Enslave" is even worse. But here you have a collection of capital firms swooping in and buying up properties on the cheap and putting their thumb on both the the rental and the starter home markets. With wages stagnating and job security a joke, it's not a huge step to make for those in the working class looking up.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

VideoTapir posted:

How about this....it is a collection of (in many cases objectively provable, in a few cases proven in court) conspiracies to extract more and more money from the working classes. Collectively this has the effect of removing our disposable income and our options. With the degree to which corporate directorates interlock, I think we can call it a single conspiracy, though there may not be any single conspirator who is involved in every aspect of it.

I'm not disagreeing with your point, but with your using heavily loaded terms. The net effect is the same, but it's the result of thousands of individual actions, each earnest and mostly innocently self-interested, not a sinister cabal. It's capital in general that is the conspiracy, members of interlocking boards.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

FCKGW posted:

Here's a good graph showing investors and cash buyers in the housing market right now. Home sales continue to rise while mortgage applications remain flat.

I don't know if data is there, but anecdatally, many purchases in the bay area have been cash. I dunno if we can separate the institutional investors vs the mom and pop rentals from the google millionaires buying a primary residence in cash.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Zeitgueist posted:

I'd suspect most of those are investors, as even the new rich often will finance to spread the cost out.

That's my guess too, but I'm just pointing out that sales not attached to a mortgage doesn't mean institutional investor. More data required.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

The Reagan library has a spanish mission style central courtyard with shaded walkways that I enjoyed the poo poo out of. If it wasn't a monument to one of the worst human beings in the world, I would have enjoyed it even more.

Gov. Reagan eating grapes during the Caesar Chavez's UFW grape strike.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Rent prices are up because more people are in the rental market due to foreclosures, short sales, etc. Those same distressed properties are being bought up and turned into rental properties by among others, private capital firms. The accusation is that the private capital guys are using their market share to drive up rents.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

UberJew posted:

Inmates can't vote but still count as population for the purposes of drawing electoral lines, so just count them all as free republican votes.

Gosh that sounds familiar. Do they count as a full person or some fraction. 3/5 maybe?

etalian posted:

Find your county:

(Republicans hate the ocean)

I figured San Benito County for being pretty red. You drive into Hollister on 25 and you see this:

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 9, 2013

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

withak posted:

Concord is pretty far away from everything.

You can hit up tommy t's "off of willow pass road, up in concord." Spaketh e-40.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

A White Guy posted:

I went because Humboldt is my dream school

I ask out of curiousity, not a diss. Why is Humboldt your dream school?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Hyperloop from the marina to mountain view and fly over the plebes on 101.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

CrazyLittle posted:

Plateau maybe, but not drop off. Even during the 2008 crash, housing prices in the better parts of the SF Bay Area stayed flat.

Massive amounts of new housing development within the city and just outside of it - enough to fill all vacancies needed.

What is SF's problem with density? There are some large condos near the ballpark, but in the rest of the city? The only one I can think of is that ugly 20 story one near civic center. Is it nimby? The whole bay area ecosystem would be much happier if we could stuff more people into where there is public infrastructure and biking-distance commutes.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

The counterpoint is the gentrified neighborhood. If person X lives in a house and can afford property tax, prop 13 allows them to stay in their home even if the neighboring homes rise in value. Reassessing due to gentrification could price people out of their homes.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

All this talk about the presidio and no one has yet mentioned we need to keep to open to build starfleet academy? Dub tee eff nerds?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Fake grass is meh. If you're going to use water, might as well water something edible. Pull up your backyard and plant a garden.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Zeitgueist posted:

The idea is not to use water, which I don't believe fake grass needs.

And I said, "if you're going to use water..." The real solution is density. One park can have a professionally maintained lawn in walking distance of a bunch of medium density apartment buildings. Same thing for pools.

And about pools. In my town there is a huge racial divide, almost literally dictated by the train tracks. The old public city pool is on the wrong side of the tracks and nobody can seem to find money to keep it open. On the other side of town, a brand new high school opened with a kiddie wading pool and water slides tacked on to its aquatic facility and opened to the public for $7/person/day. The school district maps are almost comically drawn to keep the gated rich people in one set of schools and the mexican folks in the other.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Emissions too. Carpool stickers are a great way to incentivize hybrid/electric/high mpg ice engines.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

As long as we're talking anecdata, my hypothesis is that if you subtract out the stupid and the old, motorcycle commuting is not THAT dangerous. Start with the total number of accidents. Subtract the DUIs. Subtract the moron GSXRs riding the double yellow up Hwy 9 at 70mph. Subtract the old men (surprisingly, the MAJORITY of fatalities are to men over 40). Subtract out accidents where the motorcyclist hit a non-moving object.

The big thing though is the consequence to the rider is so much greater than to a car driver. Wear protective gear, don't speed, don't be an idiot.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Also, :getout:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I would like to place money on the track not being properly tagged as being closed due to track workers. Either the workers didn't notify or the supervisor didn't follow through.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, what does "benefits" mean in that case. Counting health care "benefits" like he is getting the money is pretty gross.

There was a court case here recently of a retired fire chief who was suing for back pay. Through public records, his last year working was 140k and his retirement pay was just north of 100k. I dunno about you, but fire chiefing sounds like a really important public service role and we'll worth the money to have someone with 40 years of service doing it.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, my point being, saying someone is getting pension benefits of x makes it sound he is getting a check not oh yeah some of that is his health insurance and other benefits.

When someone asks you how much you make (it's rude but happens), do you include how much your employer sends on health and dental benefits?

I see where you're going but I'd like to add two points.

You often see it that way for public pensioners because they're reporting the total cost of the pension to the state or whichever organization owns the pension obligation, and also by conservatives out to paint them as fat cats.

Fire chief is an incredibly important job that can get people killed if not done right. I don't see anything wrong with that pay scale.

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 23, 2013

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Calipers and other pensions ARE the stock market in the same way your 401k is. One is defined benefit, one is defined contribution with match if you're lucky. But they're both invested in the stock market. In fact, another reason conservatives tend to dislike pensions is that funds like calpers use their muscle on things like shareholder elections where other funds are much more hands off in regards to governance.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Especially when you consider the unknowable factor of how many years of retirement have to be paid for; how fast do you tap your retirement money once you're 65 or whatever? Guess wrong and you either die with tons of unspent money that could have supported a higher quality of life, or run out of money at the age of 90 when you need it most and wind up surviving on medicare and social security. Defined benefit gives you a stable and predictable income for as long as you survive, which is more like an insurance product (you might "get screwed" if you die ten days after you retired, in that you paid in for decades and got nothing in return), but insurance can be a very good idea for a lot of situations where your individual needs in the future are hard to predict.

I agree with you in general, but to play devil's advocate for a bit. This same logic is why 401k and other defined contribution systems are so attractive to employers. The pension funds are also operating under certain models of X years of retirement and other actuarial models for health care and all the other costs that go into full pensions. The general trend in increased lifespans and the skyrocketed cost of health care blows holes in those decades old models and leaves the institutions on the hook for the difference. Dependence on the financial health of a company or a pension fund leaves individuals helpless when said company goes tits up.

The defined contribution model allows workers to move around between jobs more flexibly instead of being tied into whatever group offers their pension. You can see quite a bit of dead weight in the form of workers who are just hanging around for their last few years to collect or maximize their pensions. In this case, the defined contribution model works better for both the worker and the employer. In addition, self-ownership of retirement plans also allows for things like borrowing against retirement and paying yourself back. As far as higher loads go, again self-ownership allows greater flexibility to choose either highly managed and/or high risk growth funds or low or no-load index type funds.

The match is the kicker though. If you can get a match, then you've doubled your money from day one.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

withak posted:

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/BART-rejects-contract-provision-on-family-leave-4999115.php

So BART sends a contract to the unions for approval, they approve it, then someone at BART actually reads the contract and realizes that there was some additional family leave benefit accidentally included (they blame a temp employee :wtf: ). The BART board proceeds to just strikes out that item and approve the changed version of the contract. The unions are obviously less than happy about this and are meeting to consider their options.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/BART-resumes-service-freeways-clogged-5001191.php

Then late last night there is a mysterious computer glitch (on both the primary and the backup systems) that shuts the entire system down, making it so that the trains and track switches all have to be operated by hand. The people stuck on that last train end up taking hours to get to their destinations and BART isn't running at all this morning until about 7:30am and commuters flip the gently caress out.

So I guess we can all look forward to that ballot prop banning transit unions to pass by a landslide come next election. :sigh:

Bart management was under tremendous pressure to end the strike when that dude died on the tracks. My tinfoil hat says they passed something just to pass something in order to kick the process down the road. The media narrative is no longer "scab workers are unsafe" but rather "the evil seiu insists on a contract everyone knows will kill Bart". Commence litigation.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Palo Alto is still balanced. You have the rich people in PA and the poors in East PA.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

If you ever want a laugh, read the comments on the Palo Alto Weekly's website.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Fear is from LA? I guess "living in the city" made me think they were a New York band. I think he says he's from Philadelphia in that song. Learned something new...

I've always called sf "The City" from the day I arrived I was informed frisco or San Fran were to be avoided at all costs.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Anyone trying to get gun control legislation passed should just get a bunch of brown people to visit the Capitol with guns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUQIYLQ2rbk&t=9s

Works every time.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

The reason the central valleys soil is so productive is that much of it was wetlands. The water was there before the aqueducts it's just (mis-)managed differently.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

A Winner is Jew posted:

Hate to break up water chat, but I figured you guys would want to know about the revenge of Romney

RIP the only non-conservative talk radio in the two largest cities in CA.

AM anyway? We still have KPFA.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

WampaLord posted:

They have awesome fries, but their burgers are overcooked and overpriced. Fatburger is the best non sit down chain burger I've found. Fuddruckers is the best chain sit down burger.

Why, yes I am a burger :spergin:.

E: VVV Fatburger is legit as gently caress. :respek:

I'm up by concord today and I was all excited to go to e-40's fatburger franchise only to learn it closed down...? Website has listings for San Jose and Livermore but I don't think they're open yet.

So... Hungry...

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

I live in Concord, moved here almost four years ago. The one thing I've yet to find is a really good burger.

There's a huge variety of excellent sushi restaurants, though. If you tell me what part of town you're in, I can direct you to a fine japanese eatery.

Near treat and Clayton.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Where do the towns north of slo on 101 fit in? Atascadero and paso Robles seemed pretty redneck to me. Do they belong to the valley?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

CPColin posted:

Good steak, though.

I stop at mclintocks in slo or pismo every time I drive to LA.

• Locked thread