Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Rah! posted:

I got a burrito from a truck in Oakland that has 4.5 stars on yelp, and it was more like a 3 star burrito. Based on my giant sample size, I declare SF the winner :smugbert:

edit: best burritos in CA I've ever had were from SF, Salinas, San Jose, Desert Hot Springs, and San Diego. Worst one I've ever had was also from San Diego. All that was in it was extra chewy/tough/bland carnitas, sauteed onions, and 5 gallons of grease...it tasted decent enough because I was stoned out of my mind and it's hard to hate any burrito, but :wtc:

Also why does the mission burrito example on the burrito wikipedia page have lettuce in it? Only poo poo places have lettuce, and only poo poo people want lettuce in there. People who like lettuce in burritos are even worse than people who need to have rice.

I'm sorry, but did you say Desert Hot Springs? Where in that area is there a burrito that is better than what you can get from some poor Mexicans in Indio or The other poor areas of the Coachella Valley?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Rah! posted:

A Mexican restaurant that was run by Mexican people, that made some drat good Mexican food. Desert Hot Springs is over 50% Latino, dude (mostly Mexican of course). Also, I've never been to Indio....I'm sure there's great Mexican food all over the Coachella valley, I never said there wasn't.

EDIT: also, since you mentioned poor areas: Desert Hot Springs has a poverty rate of about 30%, which is kind of high (it also has a pretty high crime rate). It does have tourists because of the hot springs and its status as a cheaper vacation alternative to Palm Springs, but it's definitely not a town overrun by wealthy people or anything.

I'm sorry if I came across as hostile or anything, I'm genuinely curious where to get an awesome burrito in DHS. I live in Indio but I have a friend I ride with that lives in DHS so I'm over there occasionally. I also wasn't trying to say other parts are poorer, just closer and with some rockin burritos.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

Greetings Californians! I live here now. I have brought gifts of rain and humidity, and plan to muck up your culture with my disgusting Philly accent.

Haven't bought a house yet, because holy poo poo, how does anyone live here? Thinking of settling down somewhere in San Diego county, Fallbrook/Vista/San Marcos/Escondido areas. Anywhere I should avoid?

Also the DMV is confusing. I guess I have to get a license before I can register my car. I have to take a written test and a smog test apparently.

Come to The Coachella Valley! Enjoy our decent house prices, our low levels of traffic, and our great golf courses!

And 120+ temps in the summer, way too many old people, 2 weekends when we are flooded by people that go to Coachella Fest, and only 1 decent brewery...

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

It drizzled out here in the Coachella Valley yesterday. Today it is still humid as gently caress. In other news my AC stopped working.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

nm posted:

That's not even the IE, it is the desert, which even the IE looks down as a bucnh of tweakers.
That said, JT is cool and good and you could easily spend a few nights there without doing meth, particularly in the spring if you like to hike.

Had that discussion with someone from Redlands the other day. I guess technically the coachella valley is part of the IE but most of the desert doesn't agree and thinks they are their own thing. I agree that once you get to the meat of the windmills you are no longer in the IE. High desert that isn't in JT park is trash. Except Pappy & Harriets. That place is awesome.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

nm posted:

Ever been to wonder valley?
It is special. In the hills have eyes type way.

I haven't. Actually haven't even been in 29 Palms proper. I go on rides through JT occasionally but always go back to the hellish landscape that is old people and golf courses.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

coupbrick posted:

29 Palms is just Joshua Tree with the artsy folk replaced with Marines.

And being former army, I'll continue to not go there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

FCKGW posted:

The IE was hit especially hard in the recession and housing still hasn't recovered to peak prices yet while OC and LA have blown past that already. Some of the nicer parts of IE like Chino, Eastvale, Norco and Rancho are increasing faster than other parts but just last year both of my wife's sisters bought 3-bed houses in Riverside for around $300k. Not bad areas either.

Summers are hot and traffic sucks but I'm liking a lot of what the IE has to offer.

Come out to the Coachella Valley, where the summers are beyond hot but the traffic is practically non-existant!

• Locked thread