Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

Imperialism is a manifestation of state terrorism.
I love our little liberal stronghold up here in Humboldt County. And the people. Hoping it never changes and we keep our Dem majority for the near future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

Welcome to Humboldt :). I'm in Eureka. Cool enough town if not a little scummy, but you may just fall in love with Arcata.

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

Saw that in our local paper. I really like living in California and really don't want Arcata to be part of Idaho With Beaches. People are lame.

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

As someone who lives in Arcata and commutes to Folsom to visit my family occasionally, SF/Sac does not feel at -all- like NorCal. Norcal to me is hippies and rednecks and mountains and constant, constant rain. A friend of mine once referred to the Bay Area as "CentralCal" and I have to agree.

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

Hey, as someone from Arcata, what do you think about Eureka and that whole region? I once went up there to see the redwoods and stayed in Eureka for a night, and driving through the area, I found it to be rather impoverished and depressing, although I liked the constant cool foggy weather. Did I just happen to go through the bad parts, or is it like that in most areas?

I think Eureka's a bit of a dive. I mostly go there for more variety in shopping (Arcata has banned chain businesses which means higher prices on basic goods). If you were to live in the northern part of the city it's probably pretty nice. This area in general seems to be more swamped with the homeless than Portland, so you aren't imagining it to be impoverished and depressing.

I really don't think the drive through town via 101 does any favors to Eureka. Old Town is lovely and has nice places to live but you wouldn't ever know if you just stayed on 101. You just happened to go through a rough part of the town in the county with the most poverty.

If you make your way back up, i'd check out some of the local food culture in Eureka and Arcata, some lovely coastline and outdoorsy stuff in Trinidad, and some lovely victorians in Ferndale. As much as the poverty and constant rain can get to some, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. People here are exceptionally friendly and accepting of others, and the county is very much more Pacific Northwest than California.

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

Arcata is amazing and i'm very, very glad I live here. You sort of picked the time of year with the worst weather, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

RabbitMage posted:

I just got back into town last night and I thought the weather was nice. I missed the breathable air and reasonable drivers and fairly non-threatening homeless folk.

Then clearly you've been staying out of Eureka.

• Locked thread