Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigBobio
May 1, 2009

Classic Twisty posted:

What's so great about California

In Barstow, I saw a McDonald's made out of old boxcars. That was pretty cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBobio
May 1, 2009

Doctor Malaver posted:

Thanks hepscat (I'm coming tomorrow) and Leperflesh!

So maybe I should look into the other parks, assuming they are more accessible:
Anza-Borrego Desert State Park
Sequoia National Park
Joshua Tree

I recommend Joshua Tree. When I went in Jan 2012, during the day the Mojave side of the park was in the 60s, the Colorado side in the 70s (The park spans the Mojave and Colorado deserts. Mojave is in the northern part and is higher in elevation than the lower, more southern Colorado portion. The Mojave part has all the joshua trees in it). Some cool places are the Lost Horse Mine (old gold mine operation), Ryan Mountain, the Fortynine Palms Oasis (desert oasis with native palm trees), and Keys lookout (you can look over the entire Coachella valley from here, from the Salton Sea to the mountain pass back to LA. Go at sunset).

BigBobio
May 1, 2009

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Joshua tree also gets crazy cold at night. When I went I couldn't leave my tent at night because I was afraid I'd just freeze or never be warm again.

We also burned through all our firewood bushels in like an hour and went to sleep at 8pm.

The projected lows right now is ~50, not too bad. But if he doesn't want to camp, he can stay in one of the zillion hotels right outside the park in Twentynine Palms or Joshua Tree (the town, not the park), or in Desert Hot Springs or Palm Springs in the Coachella Valley (these last two are a bit farther from the park entrance, but nicer hotels)

• Locked thread